R3fl3x

ArmA2 / OA (low) performance issues

Using 3 cores didn't help at all.

You have a phenom II x6, it has 6 identical cores, using -cpucount=3 might benefit the FX cpu's because they're made in pairs of 2 cores that share a great deal of hardware. with your cpu there's no reason it should help, more likely the opposite.

overclocking might help, but you'll need to make sure your motherboard can handle it, you have to have an aftermarket cooler for the cpu and it's quite time consuming if you do it right.

Hey all,

Whenever I change the settings in game from Low to Very High, my FPS remains in the same 34-40 region, sometimes dips in the 20s but the change in graphic quality is minimal. So, I'm assuming that my FPS issue is processor related. Currently I'm using an AMD Phenom 955BE (3.2Ghz x4) and have no FPS issues with other games. Are there any small fixes or specific options that could be disabled to improve this?

Thanks

It depends on the settings. Model detail and viewdistance are real cpu killers. antialiasing is heavy on the gpu. Shadows on high/very high is gpu only, on medium/low it's cpu.

Edited by Leon86

You have a phenom II x6, it has 6 identical cores, using -cpucount=3 might benefit the FX cpu's because they're made in pairs of 2 cores that share a great deal of hardware. with your cpu there's no reason it should help, more likely the opposite.

overclocking might help, but you'll need to make sure your motherboard can handle it, you have to have an aftermarket cooler for the cpu and it's quite time consuming if you do it right.

It depends on the settings. Model detail and viewdistance are real cpu killers. antialiasing is heavy on the gpu. Shadows on high/very high is gpu only, on medium/low it's cpu.

Slevich: good advice (as always) from Leon86. You can find his advice and more in this thread:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?85124-ArmA2-OA-%28low%29-performance-issues&p=2081466#post2081466

I am having trouble in ARMA II: CO, when I play the game it runs on about 30-45 FPS, changing settings does little to no change (1-3 fps).

Specs:

i7 950 @ 4.2GHz OC

Dual 670 in SLi @ 1.2GHz OC

6GB RAM @ 1600MHz

1200W PSU

Tried fixes:

Adding -winxp

Beta patches

Different drivers

EDIT:

I disabled Hyper Threading in BIOS, now I get around 180 fps on the menu screen rather than 50. But when I join a server (DayZ) I get back to 30-45.

Edited by BlueSebba

Have u tried different servers? Afaik, DayZ has some FPS issues atm. Also try at the Editor to see how the game runs in different parts of Chernarus.

Ok... I'm still getting really bad performance with my PC in ARMA 2 Reinforcements , but according to benchmarks, it should be running fine with EVERYTHING maxed.

Specs are as follows:

i5 2500k @ 3.3ghz

ATI Radeon 5870 x2 Crossfire @ stock speed

16GB DDR3 Patriot Gamer Series 1600mhz RAM

Gigabyte ga-z68x-ud3h-b3 motherboard

250GB+160GB OEM Hitachi + Samsung 7200rpm HDD

1050W OEM HP Power Supply

Windows 7 Ultimate

I'm hardly getting 15 even with two 5870's.

I get like 40+ fps in ARMA 2 regular, but why is it tanking in Reinforcements?

What is wrong? Thanks

EDIT: OK I found out why... the higher precision HDR the worse the performance and the worse (blurrier) it looks. 32 = 15-20 fps, 16 = 25-30 fps, 8 = 40+.

Edited by ruhtraeel

@ruhtrael: what is wrong is your statement "it should be running fine with EVERYTHING maxed". Where on earth did you read/hear that?

Practically no machine on earth can run OA with EVERYTHING maxed.

You have to realise that OA is an extremely sophisticated game, WAY more complex that the majority of games out there.

You have a pretty fast machine there so with a few tweaks you should be able to increase your framerate while keeping the game looking good.

So try these proven optimisations:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?85124-ArmA2-OA-%28low%29-performance-issues&p=2081466#post2081466

And let us know how you get on

Ok... I'm still getting really bad performance with my PC in ARMA 2 Reinforcements , but according to benchmarks, it should be running fine with EVERYTHING maxed.

Specs are as follows:

i5 2500k @ 3.3ghz

ATI Radeon 5870 x2 Crossfire @ stock speed

16GB DDR3 Patriot Gamer Series 1600mhz RAM

Gigabyte ga-z68x-ud3h-b3 motherboard

250GB+160GB OEM Hitachi + Samsung 7200rpm HDD

1050W OEM HP Power Supply

Windows 7 Ultimate

I'm hardly getting 15 even with two 5870's.

I get like 40+ fps in ARMA 2 regular, but why is it tanking in Reinforcements?

What is wrong? Thanks

EDIT: OK I found out why... the higher precision HDR the worse the performance and the worse (blurrier) it looks. 32 = 15-20 fps, 16 = 25-30 fps, 8 = 40+.

Trying out settings one by one is the way to go to make arma run and look good. The developers allow some crazy settings that will cripple performance on any rig if you max all of them.

Performance is very dependant on map and location as well. On the small island map utes you can proably max viewdistance without problems because there's only extra sea to render (no extra work for the cpu).

@ruhtrael: what is wrong is your statement "it should be running fine with EVERYTHING maxed". Where on earth did you read/hear that?

Practically no machine on earth can run OA with EVERYTHING maxed.

You have to realise that OA is an extremely sophisticated game, WAY more complex that the majority of games out there.

You have a pretty fast machine there so with a few tweaks you should be able to increase your framerate while keeping the game looking good.

So try these proven optimisations:

And let us know how you get on

It runs everything maxed fine now. I just had to change HDRprecision to 8, now I can jack up all in game settings to max and still always get 30+.

Just a quick question. Is it normal for my spec below to run OA at less than 20fps with most settings the highest(AA low, postprocess low, Visibility 6400, V-Sync disabled, 1920x1080)

i7 2600 (not overclocked)

4Gx2 DDR3 1600Mhz ram

GTX 590

Asus P8P67 Pro

Intel 510 120G SSD

Windows 7 Ultimate x64

Which of the settings are the most demanding?

Thanks.

No, it's not normal, there must be something wrong. Check this:

CPU speed = at what speed is your CPU running ? Is turbo mode enabled ?

Visibilty (view distance) = lower the better (i'm using 1600)

Video Memory = set to "default" to use full video memory

Anisitropic Filter = impact > low

Anti Aliasing = high impact > low

Postprocess = high impact > off

blood = low

Your rig looks a bit more powerfull than mine and i'm running A2AO on "very high" (AA,AF normal) at 1920x1200. With Vsync on, the FPS usually are between 30 and 60 (max).

Wow i see so money people with good pc have problems with arma. Thats strange becouse i have old athlon 6000 and old ati 4850 and 20-30 fps on AO with all setting at maximum excluding Antialiasing and Postprocessing. I recommend you turn off that AA and PP shit becouse it causes very strong damage to performance and dont set you ingame visibility too high. I prefer 4000.

most settings the highest.

dont do that. arma allows ridiculous settings, it's up to the user to find the appropriate ones.

Just more low FPS issues, but this one's pretty bad. I get about 15FPS in the bootcamp with all of the settings on absolute minimum (apart from video memory, that's on default), on my native resolution (1440x900).

My specs are as follows:

AMD Phenom II X4 840 3.2GHz

8GB RAM

Windows 7 64-bit

Nvidia GTX 550 Ti

The sort of performance I'm getting is pretty unreasonable for these specs. I know that the game's pretty bad in that it doesn't run well on anything, but I'm pretty sure with a PC like that I should be able to get performance that's actually playable. In actual campaign missions, the performance is even worse.

It runs everything maxed fine now. I just had to change HDRprecision to 8, now I can jack up all in game settings to max and still always get 30+.

How do change HDRprecision?

How do change HDRprecision?

Locate your ArmAOA cfg file in your 'my documents' Arma2 folder.

Locate your ArmAOA cfg file in your 'my documents' Arma2 folder.

There is a much easier way, on the menu screen select "Options" from the in-game menu, then "Video" and then "Advanced" and in the field entitled "HDR Quality" select the option "Normal"

According to my system specs i should be able to run this game on better settings. I have no idea why i cant play unless it is on very low? Is there some fix that i have to do? My game is bought on steam fyi.

My specs

Processor: AMD Phenom II X6 1100T 3.30 GHz

Ram: 8GB

Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560

Windows 7 64-bit

According to my system specs i should be able to run this game on better settings. I have no idea why i cant play unless it is on very low? Is there some fix that i have to do? My game is bought on steam fyi.

My specs

Processor: AMD Phenom II X6 1100T 3.30 GHz

Ram: 8GB

Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560

Windows 7 64-bit

what do you get with the benchmark scenario's? (bench 1 and e08,dont run 2, it's ridiculous) and what are your settings (click advanced button and make a screenshot, might be fastest).

I can recommend to use a ssd (128 GByte available far under 100 € now). It made my Arma-Gaming go from good to very good ... :-) though I have old specs (below).

Hey. I was hoping you guys can help me out. My system specs are below, and ofc i cant run the game properly. But i was thinking if i upgrade my cpu it can be playable. what do you think? i really don't care about the graphics, i just want a steady fps. is it possible?

ASUS K50AB laptop

CPU: AMD Athlon X2 Dual-Core QL-65 2.1Ghz

RAM: 3 GB

Video Card: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4570

Win 7 32bit

I doubt there are any cpus for that laptop that would make the game smoother for u. You pretty much have to buy a new rig, a desktop kind. Arma is not laptop friendly.

Edited by Atkins

Yeah, an Athlon X2 2.1 GHz dual-core mobile processor is way too slow for this game.

Not sure what your upgrade options are but you'd want to be looking at a 2.8 GHz+ quad-core for this game.

If i can fly around utes usually having around 60 fps on all max settings, including view distance, does that mean anything?