R3fl3x

ArmA2 / OA (low) performance issues

Same problems after 1.55 patch. About 20 percent of fps gone away. Plus, random stuttering, LOD changing, performance degrading.

The specs are the following:

Windows XP, Core2Duo E8500, Ati4850, 2GB.

Tried the latest VGA driver and DirectX, without success.

Tried under fresh Win7 installation, a little bit better, but almost same results.

And finally, an interesting issue:

The base ArmA2 1.08 runs well, without these issues.

So, now i am are waiting for the fix, that will fix this "so-called optimization" in patch 1.55

Edited by tomz

Same problem of stuttering for me with 1.55 patch (C2D E6850 3 Ghz, 2x2 GB DDR2, Radeon 6870, at 1920x1020, everything on normal except shadows [very high] and postprocessing [disabled]).

Gonna try A2 1.08 without OA...

Edit: well, it works quite well with A2 1.08 (without OA), fps between 20-25 fps for the same mission. I hardly believe these numerous posts about OA being such a better software than A2: as far as performance is concerned, A2 works better on my PC.

Edited by schroeder

I recently bought ArmA II, OA, BAF DLC and assumed I'd have to run it at low setting but thought it would atleast be playable...

Antec Case

620w PSU

Gigabyte P35-DS3L

C2D E8400 3Ghz

4GB 1066mhz DDR2

Gigbyte 1GB HD5850

1.5TB HDD (900GB free)

Windows 7/64

...and even if I'm sitting at the menu I get 1-2 second stutters every 3-5 seconds, making it completely unplayable.

Is this the same stutter others are referring to?

Video settings are all on Normal... Resolution is a stupidly low 1300xsomething... PP is off... etc.

I recently bought ArmA II, OA, BAF DLC and assumed I'd have to run it at low setting but thought it would atleast be playable...

Antec Case

620w PSU

Gigabyte P35-DS3L

C2D E8400 3Ghz

4GB 1066mhz DDR2

Gigbyte 1GB HD5850

1.5TB HDD (900GB free)

Windows 7/64

...and even if I'm sitting at the menu I get 1-2 second stutters every 3-5 seconds, making it completely unplayable.

Video settings are all on Normal... Resolution is a stupidly low 1300xsomething... PP is off... etc.

Try a defrag of your ArmA mainfolder with a 3rd party tool and see if it helps a bit. Windows standard defragger is not up to the task. After installing large patches it's always recommended to perform a defrag.

kind regards

p.s. BTW welcome to the forum

Im not sure if anyones mentioned this, (dont fancy reading through 101 pages to fing out) but you can improve performance ALOT by running it windowed, reduce window size again then change your resolution back to e.g 480x360 100%. Looks great/Plays good.

Antec Case

620w PSU

Gigabyte P35-DS3L

C2D E8400 3Ghz

4GB 1066mhz DDR2

Gigbyte 1GB HD5850

1.5TB HDD (900GB free)

Windows 7/64

i've got the same mobo as yourself and cpu but a gtx 260,

using the default win 7 network card driver performs a whole lot better for me than the latest one from the gigabyte website,

give that a try and see if it removes the sluggishness. your frames should be around the same with a small improvement but should be a lot smoother. it really did stump me for a few days,

I normally leave the default windows 7 network driver on but in my quest to get arma running as smooth as poss i decided to try the latest official driver when i recently upgraded my cpu and gpu,

i would host morning dew on takistan and would be super smooth, but as soon as my m8 joined the server, even just the lobby, my game would get a wierd micro stutter, soon as they left back to normal super smoothness, exactly the same when i joined there server, and when i joined any multiplayer server.

as soon as i done the roll back the problem vanished.

is also some settings you can do in your ati catalyst control panel, similar to what i have done in my nvidia control panel that may improve the smoothness to, if you want me to take a screenshot/post my settings here let me know.

Edited by Snelz

Hey it appears my crossfire isnt working is this a pretty common issue? and if so how do i fix it.

i5 750

4G ram

10,000RPM Velociraptor HDD

xfx 5870 x2

Asus p7p55 WS Supercomputer motherboard

Crossfire appears to work in every other game i currently have except arma 2.

i tried drivers 10.10 and 10.11 with corrosponding APPs for crossfire help please

Hey it appears my crossfire isnt working is this a pretty common issue? and if so how do i fix it.

i5 750

4G ram

xfx 5870 x2

i tried drivers 10.10 and 10.11 with corrosponding APPs for crossfire help please

Same problem here.

Same problems after 1.55 patch. About 20 percent of fps gone away. Plus, random stuttering, LOD changing, performance degrading.

The specs are the following:

Windows XP, Core2Duo E8500, Ati4850, 2GB.

Tried the latest VGA driver and DirectX, without success.

Tried under fresh Win7 installation, a little bit better, but almost same results.

And finally, an interesting issue:

The base ArmA2 1.08 runs well, without these issues.

So, now i am are waiting for the fix, that will fix this "so-called optimization" in patch 1.55

same problem as I...

at least i am not the only one :(

:mad:

i5 750

4G ram

xfx 5870 x2

same as me mate,2x 6870 :(gutted

hope some one can help

Evenin all,

firstly, i'm new to this forum...so bear with me.

having done a fair amount of searching, with some success, i though i'd get on and actually post something

i have over the last few hours read and digested most of this thread, due to my current pc not running arma 2 that well at all, due in no small part to the hardware not being bleeding edge.

what concerns me is that lots of you, with high/fairly high spec rigs are experiencing issues which are, IMHO, the results of poor optimisation by the developers ( things like Crossfire/SLI not working correctly and poor texture loading)

in my quest for playable performance my pc is getting a long overdue overhaul: spec is below

AMD x2 5200

2gb RAM

HD5770 1GB

my new rig will be as follows

I7 950 3.06ghz

6gb DDR3 RAM

nvidia GTX 480

this rig should in theory be sufficient, anyone with a similar machine care to give me any feed back?

cheers

N

Hi to all. I recently bought a new alienware laptop (the m17x) and installed arma2 and OA. I don't really have many performance issues, but I was wondering if maybe someone who knows (or has the same system) about this system could tell me how to better tweak my gameplay/gpu. In the OA benchmark i typically get about 31 fps on average and in Arma2 I generally get 30 fps. Here are my specs:

Intel Core i7 740QM Quad Core Processor, 1.73GHz (2.93GHz Turbo Mode, 6M Cache)

6GB Memory (1x 2GB, 1x 4GB DDR3)

17-inch WideUXGA 1920 x 1200 RGB LED (1200p)

SLI 1GB GDDR3 Nvidia GeForce GTX 285M

I have installed the EVGA SLI enhancer as well as updated all of my drivers.

2 more questions

1. How do you turn off physX on this particular card? I go into the nvidia control panel to the physX screen but I don't see an option to turn off, only which card is used to run it.

2. How do I obtain the 2.93 turbo mode with my processor? I don't know where to go or what to do there lol.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

For the crossfire fix rename your arma ao exec file to arma.exe, crossfire will magically work in arma again!

Im running the game on low most of the time because i get terrible fps at any other point my specs are:

intel core i5 x2 3.20 ghz

ATI radeon 5450 512mb (not great but meets recommended)

3 gb RAM

windows 7 64-bit

as far as i can tell the game should work well in medium to high settings but its far from it.

when i first got it i was playing in high settings but it seems to have decided it cant be bothered anymore.

anyone able to help me sort the low frame rate out? downloaded the patch to 1.08 no difference.

Evenin all,

firstly, i'm new to this forum...so bear with me.

having done a fair amount of searching, with some success, i though i'd get on and actually post something

i have over the last few hours read and digested most of this thread, due to my current pc not running arma 2 that well at all, due in no small part to the hardware not being bleeding edge.

what concerns me is that lots of you, with high/fairly high spec rigs are experiencing issues which are, IMHO, the results of poor optimisation by the developers ( things like Crossfire/SLI not working correctly and poor texture loading)

in my quest for playable performance my pc is getting a long overdue overhaul: spec is below

AMD x2 5200

2gb RAM

HD5770 1GB

my new rig will be as follows

I7 950 3.06ghz

6gb DDR3 RAM

nvidia GTX 480

this rig should in theory be sufficient, anyone with a similar machine care to give me any feed back?

cheers

N

My rig eats Arma up and so should yours. Stick with Nvidia. I have gone down the ATI HD5970 road recently and had nothing but heartache. Never again! Check my specs in the spoiler.

---------- Post added at 07:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:34 PM ----------

Same problem here.

Had the same problem before I threw my 5970 out the window. I could barely ever get crossfire to work and when I did, my FPS was actually worse. I tried every driver from 10.5 up to the latest and also corresponding app profiles. I fixed it by going back to Nvidia. Probably not what you want to hear and definitely not what I wanted to do a few weeks ago but I couldn't deal with it anymore. There shouldn't be such a learning curve/device configuration to get proper performance out of a video card. I had 2xGTX280's w/SLI before I thought I'd try an ATI card. Not a smart move.

Yeah...dont worry about it.

The only people who have bad performance with good rigs are morons, you can make arma2 run o.k. with a shit pc if you are a reasonably competent human.

Ive run Arma2 on a P4 3.0GHz AGP system with 1gb of shit ram and a 7950GT without major dramas.

Yeah...dont worry about it.

The only people who have bad performance with good rigs are morons, you can make arma2 run o.k. with a shit pc if you are a reasonably competent human.

Ive run Arma2 on a P4 3.0GHz AGP system with 1gb of shit ram and a 7950GT without major dramas.

Then I must be a moron >.<

After reading through ~50 pages of the forum I still can't get over 20-25 fps anywhere (with the exception of an empty mission in the desert where I get right up to the limiter).

I've tried lowering all the settings one by one, and it never yielded any significant change, even when drastically reducing the resolution. I hate to be that idiot, but I'm at wits end here.

My rig is as follows:

AMD Phenom x4 9550 OC'd to 2.8Ghz, tested stable

Asus M4n82 Deluxe mobo

6GB DDR2 800 OC'd to 1066 stable

Asus GTX460 OC'd to 840/1680 core/shader 2100 mem 1050mV also stable

750watt psu

Win7prox64

Samsung 7200 RPM main drive

Running at 1680x1050, can run BFBC2 at ~60 fps at all high settings w/ same res

Worst part is my buddy who has a stock clocked intel q6600, 9800gt sli, 4gb mem, and the same main drive gets better frames than me >.<

edit:

figuring it's the cpu, but that q6600 is a 2.4. It does have a bigger cache though :/

Edited by awfulwaffle

Please help me, BIS forums! Arma II runs at 6-10 frames in just the menu.

1680x1050 monitor

P35-DS3L

Q6600 @3.4Ghz

5850 stock clock, dedicated sound card, 500W PSU

500GB HDD

4GB DDR2, Windows 7 64-bit. **Ran fine on 32 bit**

All new drivers, ran memtest with no errors. Happens both underclocked and overclocked.

Please help me, BIS forums! Arma II runs at 6-10 frames in just the menu.

1680x1050 monitor

P35-DS3L

Q6600 @3.4Ghz

5850 stock clock, dedicated sound card, 500W PSU

500GB HDD

4GB DDR2, Windows 7 64-bit. **Ran fine on 32 bit**

All new drivers, ran memtest with no errors. Happens both underclocked and overclocked.

You only have problems in the menu?

You could try switching the island off in the background - add this as a start parameter into your arma desktop link:

-world=empty

Worked for me

The menu just displays the water now and changes between 55 and above refresh rate, very slowly. Up and down and up and down. Then I got into the first benchmark, which averages.........7 fps. This game ran FINE before I switched to 64 bit!

Just replaced my Phenom 9550 with a phenom ii 955 BE, OC'd to 3.8 Ghz aaaaaaaaanddddd......

same fps as i was getting with the 9550, in the 20 fps range with settings up moderately high, 1680x1050

AMD Phenom II x4 955 BE, OC'd to 3.8 Ghz

Asus M4n82 Deluxe mobo

6GB DDR2 800 OC'd to 1066 stable

Asus GTX460 OC'd to 840/1680 core/shader 2100 mem 1050mV also stable

750watt psu

Win7prox64

Samsung 7200 RPM main drive

Anyone know what gives?

set everything to very high

put your resolution to 1280/1024

vsync off

antialiasing low

postprosessing low

gives me 48 fps in benchmark 08

So I just bought a gtx580 (check my sig for the rest Of my specs if anything in there is the problem) and I am still getting really poor performance in game. I get anywhere from 20 to 30 Fps reguardless of what i put my settings on, but right now im on all normal settings and low aa and af. In benchmarks with the same settings i got an average of 51 Fps. The only other game that gives me trouble like this is coh, which has me thinking that my CPU is to blame because both this game and coh are pretty cpu dependent. Any ideas?

Your DDR2 ram might be a bit slow... its only thing I see in your machine's specs that sticks out as a potential bottle-neck. Of course, it also depends on what all you might have running in the background as processes in Win 7. How many processes are there when you show processses for all users in Task Manager? Try to keep processes less than 60, preferably less than 50 but that can be harder to achieve unless you run a bare bones Windows desktop environment. In task manager, look to see if any particular processes are using a lot of the CPU. Could also be that there is/are some option(s) in your new 580's driver interface that need to be turned off via the nVidia display interface.