R3fl3x

ArmA2 / OA (low) performance issues

Hello everyone

I move my discussion here

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=103552

I reinstalled Arma2 unpatched,an the game run 35-55 fps.

Instal patch 1.05 and 1.07,the frame rate blocked 15-25 fps:banghead:

if I look at the sky do not change the fps.

I tried to save the cfg of the first installation,and not resolved.

It can play online without the patch? How?

My pc:

Phenom II 965 3,4

2GB ddr3 1333

Sapphire 4890 1GB

Seagate Barracuda 16MB 7200

Windows 7 32bit

Thanks all.

@ Raggi77: U r saying that unpatched ArmA runs better than 1.07?

man, u gotta check ur rig, there must b something terribly wrong with it.

Ok guys i solved:bounce3:

I installed Windows7 64bit,and game runs 40-55fps.

I recommend everyone try.

Thanks all:)

So how much better are the beta patches, and how much better does ARMA II run compared to OA? Also, is MP generally smoother than SP?

So how much better are the beta patches, and how much better does ARMA II run compared to OA? Also, is MP generally smoother than SP?

1. The beta patches have been great (for me, anyway). Give them a shot.

2. I haven't noticed a major difference, but ArmA2 has had more patches/time to be perfected so it may run a bit better, depending. OA has less foliage in the levels so that also can allow for better performance. It all depends on the circumstances.

3. Generally, yes.

Is not possible.I play only one hours whit good performance.

is not possible:banghead:

Today Arma2 very bad performing!!!

I have not changed any settings,and arma 2 runs:

th_20100807180442_Untitled1.jpg

th_20100807180506_Untitled2.jpg

Gpu activity 25%??????

No comment!

classic problem that's been seen in previous games like this...

I noticed there was mention of it on the community tracker.. I don't know if it's an actual bug that will be optmized/fixed....

An example is just bring up a reflex scope (the simple one with a red dot) and it will drop your fps... which seems a bit silly to me.

If you can, try to see if your GPU is maxed out when you have this problem... if it is, then maybe you do need a better video card.. if it isn't.. then it's more likely a CPU problem..

classic problem that's been seen in previous games like this...

I noticed there was mention of it on the community tracker.. I don't know if it's an actual bug that will be optmized/fixed....

An example is just bring up a reflex scope (the simple one with a red dot) and it will drop your fps... which seems a bit silly to me.

If you can, try to see if your GPU is maxed out when you have this problem... if it is, then maybe you do need a better video card.. if it isn't.. then it's more likely a CPU problem..

As soon as you bring up a scope, if it has any zoom factor, then it is increasing your draw distance by the same factor and therefore creating more models and textures etc which leads to an FPS drop.

Any sight with no zoom factor, I think even the red dots have some, then there shouldn't be an FPS hit as it is just bringing up a model in front of you.

Indeed this is common in a lot of games as this how they implement their zoom optics.

Well guys, now my story.

This is my rig:

i7 920 OC @ 3.54GHz

6GB OCZ Gold @ 7-7-7-16 1066MHz

Crossfire (2x) 5770 1GB

Windows 7 64bit running on a 64GB WD SSD (170write/250read)

ArmA 2 1.07 on RAID0 2x 320GB Samsung 16MB cache 7200rpm. (250read/180-220write)

I'm also using the -winxp parameter on the shortcut to enable dual gpu.

Im playing @ native 1920x1080 and the game runs like ****.

Now the following, my bro's rig:

i7 920 @ stock 2.67GHz

6GB OCZ Gold @ 7-7-7-20 1066MHz

Ati 4890 1GB

Windows 7 64bit and ArmA 2 installed on same 500GB WD sata disk (16mb cache 7200rpm).

He is playing on 1680x1440 and the game is running super smooth with all settings on normal.

Test rig:

Intel E6750 @ stock 2.67GHz

4GB (2x2) OCZ Blade 800MHz 4-4-4-15

MSI Ati 4850 OC 1GB

500GB WD sata 16mb cache, 7200rpm

Windows 7 64bit + ArmA2 on same HDD. Runs super smooth @ 1920x1080 with most settings on High. (avg 30-40fps)

How come my powerfull rig cant give me the same peformance?

Im now gonna try beta patch 72588 to see if there is any difference.

:UPDATE:

I have got the game to work 'smooth' now. Well at the least the stutter is almost gone, but still only get 22fps in some parts of chernogorst or near many buildings. But in the middle of nowhere i reacht 60fps avg.

First i installed the before mentioned beta patch. The i changed my localvram to what it should be in the arma.cfg in my \my documents\arma 2\arma2.cfg.

In the options i have set the video memory to default so it will use the value stated in arma2.cfg and shadows on very high.

Further explenation:

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18024779

Still best performance is on my bro's and test rigg. very strange.

Edited by marcon
update

The i changed my localvram to what it should be in the arma.cfg in my \my documents\arma 2\arma2.cfg.

Just FYI, changing this value in the config does nothing. Using the beta patch and changing in-game settings is what helped.

Ah oke, well I still think there something terribly wrong with this game cause still with my specs and 22fps in citys isn't acceptable.

Ah oke, well I still think there something terribly wrong with this game cause still with my specs and 22fps in citys isn't acceptable.

Well, your CPU is not super-fast and your GPU is not super-fast, either. I'd maybe try overclocking your CPU, if possible. You really want 3.0+ GHz for this game. And your GPU is coming up on being 2 generations old.

I have installed OA and now have Combined Ops. I run the game and set the settings down a bit from default, no post processing, shadows normal (one up from disabled) and two of the options on the bottom left are on low. I run the game for about 5 minutes then crippling fps lag kicks in from nowhere. This has happened in the editor and in single player and makes everything to do with the game lag like crazy. For instance in singleplayer campaign I was busy fighting then out of nowhere the game wants to die and slows to less than 1FPS. Just now it happened again in editor.

I spawned a German soldier in the city map and drove around a bit and shot random buildings with no ill effects. Then I went back to the editor and spawned an apache with me as pilot, started the rotor blades with no lag, jumped out with no lag and then shot my gunner in the head. I then jump in as gunner and the lag spike came back and the entire game was unplayable and I had to ctrl-alt-del out of it. Even the background of the menus lag and it takes up to twenty seconds to register me clicking an option.

The second instance was using Game Booster in the background and a fresh install of both ArmA2 and OA. The first instance was without Game Booster.

It cannot be my settings surely as they are lower than the settings I use for vanilla and seem to occur at random times.

I use a NVidia GTX 260 graphics card, 4Gb of RAM and a dual core 2ghz processor. I can run ArmA 2 with no ill effects at High settings in forests and with battles going on around me but seeminly cannot fly an apache or play the single player campaign in OA with lower graphical settings.

It is something of a routine with Bohemia Interactive games with me. Always buggy and always take more than a day to get running correctly.

Help is begged for and most appreciated!

Well, your CPU is not super-fast and your GPU is not super-fast, either. I'd maybe try overclocking your CPU, if possible. You really want 3.0+ GHz for this game. And your GPU is coming up on being 2 generations old.

Well if you look at the first rig in my post, my main rig, it says:

i7 920 OC @ 3.54 (quad-core),

2x Ati 5770 1GB (Crossfire!)

The last rig is my test-rig and i agree its outdated hardware BUT this rig peforms better than my main rig ;-) which is odd.

It is something of a routine with Bohemia Interactive games with me. Always buggy and always take more than a day to get running correctly.

I agree, even OPF, i know what i'm typin', i took a mega computer to run that game smooth.

Edited by marcon

Well if you look at the first rig in my post, my main rig, it says:

i7 920 OC @ 3.54 (quad-core),

2x Ati 5770 1GB (Crossfire!)

The last rig is my test-rig and i agree its outdated hardware BUT this rig peforms better than my main rig ;-) which is odd.

That is odd. I'm guessing it's because ArmA2 does not play nicely with Crossfire?

I agree, even OPF, i know what i'm typin', i took a mega computer to run that game smooth.

Yeah got one of these the now and the game still freeze's and FPS drops like a stone just dont think that the game likes SLI or Crossfire

---------- Post added at 06:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:26 PM ----------

think ma specs are in ma sig

Hey guys. I just built my first computer and installed arma 2. I'm running combined operations, and for some reason I get literary 10-20 FPS if, I'm running on high settings. I put all the things onto High, not Very high. If I got to super low settings, then I get 30-40 FPS.

My specs are

4 gigs of ram

HD 5770

Phenom X4 945

Anyone know what to do? Do I need to install something? Are the settings on wrong? PLEASE, PLEASE, HELP ME!

Also, my monitor is at 1920x1080.

Edited by JSK100

I've been having a very weird performance issue as of late.

My game normally runs at 25-50 FPS even when the screen is loaded with stuff.

Every now and then, out of nowhere, unrelated to any of my surroundings or my actions in the game, the FPS drops VERY LOW. I might be driving in the middle of nowhere in Takistan and suddenly drop to 8 fps, or I could be in the middle of a firefight when it happens. It goes on awhile, usually a few minutes at most, and then the FPS returns to 25-50.

I have tried everything in order to solve this, sofar nothing has helped.

I've tried different drivers, I've tried all of the startup parameters, I've set everything on very low, I've tweaked my GPU... NOTHING HELPS.

If there is anyone in here that has any ideas to solve my problem, give me a shout.

I've been having a very weird performance issue as of late.

My game normally runs at 25-50 FPS even when the screen is loaded with stuff.

Every now and then, out of nowhere, unrelated to any of my surroundings or my actions in the game, the FPS drops VERY LOW. I might be driving in the middle of nowhere in Takistan and suddenly drop to 8 fps, or I could be in the middle of a firefight when it happens. It goes on awhile, usually a few minutes at most, and then the FPS returns to 25-50.

I have tried everything in order to solve this, sofar nothing has helped.

I've tried different drivers, I've tried all of the startup parameters, I've set everything on very low, I've tweaked my GPU... NOTHING HELPS.

If there is anyone in here that has any ideas to solve my problem, give me a shout.

Updates going on in the background or malware, try running msconfig and going to startup and turning off the running programs you dont need.

As soon as you bring up a scope, if it has any zoom factor, then it is increasing your draw distance by the same factor and therefore creating more models and textures etc which leads to an FPS drop.

Any sight with no zoom factor, I think even the red dots have some, then there shouldn't be an FPS hit as it is just bringing up a model in front of you.

Indeed this is common in a lot of games as this how they implement their zoom optics.

Every iron sight mode has a slight zoom ( in addition to the normal zoom fuction ). Helps you aim at distances so you actually see the enemy.

Hey guys. I just built my first computer and installed arma 2. I'm running combined operations, and for some reason I get literary 10-20 FPS if, I'm running on high settings. I put all the things onto High, not Very high. If I got to super low settings, then I get 30-40 FPS.

My specs are

4 gigs of ram

HD 5770

Phenom X4 945

Post Processing: disabled

Shadows: try disabled vs High or Very High.

AA: Low

Should be ok to max the rest I guess.. you should expect a wide range of fps, depending on the missions you are playing.

If you are planning on finding the magical FPS switch, there isn't one, it's hard wired to mediocre.

Just to be sure nothing funky is going on, please report your FPS from the 3 benchmark missions. (single player -> benchmark... let it run, displays fps at the end..)

....What went wrong? Im getting 1-2 FPS from nowhere!

Thats what I done today:

1) Run OA, everything was fine!

2) After changing _runA2CO.cmd from this post, run Combined Ops. I missread that post, thought I could run CO+Mods without messing with cmd lines. The game was running fine to.

3) Run OA only, poor FPS.

4) Run CO again, poor FPS.

So...What went wrong? Im getting 1-2 FPS from nowhere!

I own A2 boxed version and OA Steam´s.

System Specs doesnt matter as the game was running fine just before.

RPT file:

=====================================================================

== c:\arquivos de programas\steam\steamapps\common\arma 2 operation arrowhead\ArmA2OA.exe

== "c:\arquivos de programas\steam\steamapps\common\arma 2 operation arrowhead\ArmA2OA.exe" -nosplash

=====================================================================

Exe timestamp: 2010/07/18 00:44:49

Current time: 2010/08/15 13:06:47

Item str_disp_server_control listed twice

Cannot register unknown string STR_USRACT_INDICATE_LEFT

Cannot register unknown string STR_USRACT_INDICATE_RIGHT

Cannot register unknown string STR_USRACT_HAZARD_LIGHTS

Cannot register unknown string STR_USRACT_INTERACT_VEH

Cannot register unknown string STR_USRACT_PERS_ITEMS

Cannot register unknown string STR_USRACT_QUICK_ENTER

Cannot register unknown string STR_USRACT_COMM_OVERRIDE

Cannot register unknown string STR_USRACT_TI_Brightness_Inc

Cannot register unknown string STR_USRACT_TI_Brightness_Dec

Cannot register unknown string STR_USRACT_TI_Contrast_Inc

Cannot register unknown string STR_USRACT_TI_Contrast_Dec

Cannot register unknown string STR_USRACT_TI_AutoContrast_Toggle

Updating base class ->RscText, by ca\ui\config.bin/RscSplashText/

Added texture headers from file "ca\air_e\texheaders.bin"

Added texture headers from file "ca\animals_e\texheaders.bin"

Added texture headers from file "ca\ca_e\texheaders.bin"

Added texture headers from file "ca\characters_e\texheaders.bin"

Added texture headers from file "ca\desert_e\texheaders.bin"

Added texture headers from file "ca\l39\texheaders.bin"

Added texture headers from file "ca\misc_e\texheaders.bin"

Added texture headers from file "ca\missions_e\texheaders.bin"

Added texture headers from file "ca\modules_e\texheaders.bin"

Added texture headers from file "ca\plants_e\texheaders.bin"

Added texture headers from file "ca\roads_e\texheaders.bin"

Added texture headers from file "ca\rocks_e\texheaders.bin"

Added texture headers from file "ca\signs_e\texheaders.bin"

Added texture headers from file "ca\structures_e\texheaders.bin"

Added texture headers from file "ca\takistan\data\texheaders.bin"

Added texture headers from file "ca\takistan\data\layers\texheaders.bin"

Added texture headers from file "ca\tracked_e\texheaders.bin"

Added texture headers from file "ca\weapons_e\texheaders.bin"

Added texture headers from file "ca\wheeled_e\texheaders.bin"

Added texture headers from file "ca\zargabad\texheaders.bin"

Checking texture headers done - ok = 5591, failed = 0, patched = 0.

Exe version: 1.52.71612

Warning: looped for animation: ca\wheeled\data\anim\uaz_cargo01_v0.rtm differs (looped now 0)! MoveName: kia_uaz_cargo02

Warning: looped for animation: ca\wheeled\data\anim\uaz_cargo01_v0.rtm differs (looped now 1)! MoveName: uaz_cargo02

Ideas?

Edited by Smurf

Post Processing: disabled

Shadows: try disabled vs High or Very High.

AA: Low

Should be ok to max the rest I guess.. you should expect a wide range of fps, depending on the missions you are playing.

If you are planning on finding the magical FPS switch, there isn't one, it's hard wired to mediocre.

Just to be sure nothing funky is going on, please report your FPS from the 3 benchmark missions. (single player -> benchmark... let it run, displays fps at the end..)

I use your settings and I get about 30 FPS with it. It looks good but I just wish there was motion blur? Anyway I could still keep the motion blur?

@smurfbr

think i might want to read that post again if i where u, and hope u can fix your registry's

otherwise i would advice a clean install...

I don´t see how an edited registry (which I didn´t edit and are untouched) could drop the performace like that.

I just ran Combined Ops once and was fine, since then OA and CO are slow. A2 is fine though...

could u enable/disable mods from the menu now ?

maybe when u delete the arma2.cfg, re-run the game and set up your graphics again might solve your fps issue's.

do the same for arma2oa.cfg.

but did u read clear wat Dwarden said in his post ?

or u have both titles from steam or both boxed

if u read clearly wat he said, u need to run both tiltes from steam once bevore it works.

wich u dont have u have one boxed and one steam version.

so now u can check your registry settings wich are also explained in that thread,

and check if the path still corresponds with your game directories.

hope u can fix it.