R3fl3x

ArmA2 / OA (low) performance issues

i dont have any expierience with vista.

im using win7 right now,

but was using winxp x64 when i got the out of memory messege.

He has a Dell Dude.. no Bios for him.

The muticore/4 cores is really helpful for multiGPU setups. Bigg difference between 2 or 4 cores on my Quadfire.

Even if the verdor locks it, there is a "secret" way to unlock the bios most of the time.

If you really bug the support they might just give you a way inside full bios options.

You could also scrounge the internet to obtain this key combination.

Not being able to disable hyperthreading in your bios is silly to say the least.

Yet another reason to build your own PC.

ok let me know if the game still crashes with the out of memory message

Well, since I've overclocked I had no more crash. But I think it's just a coincidence...I'll let you know ASAP if there are still crashes :D

the "PAGEFILE" is your virtual memory,

turn that of it smoothed the game for me.

rightclick my computer/properties/Advanced settings/visualperformance.

it takes a part of your harddrive and uses it as virtual memory only your harddrive have too read two things now, the game and the virtual memory.

in my situation that was my bottleneck..

i think when u have 2 HDD's in RAID it isnt needed, if u installed the game on second HDD

I have WIN 7 ...where can i find this??

Just be careful with turning off the page file. Only do it if you have 6gb or more RAM and only fo it if you are using Windows 64bit.

In some cases it'll have no effect, in some cases it'll improve performance, and in some cases it'll cause instability which can lead to crashing and such. So if you do it and have problems, re-enabling your page file should be your first step.

Just be careful with turning off the page file. Only do it if you have 6gb or more RAM and only fo it if you are using Windows 64bit.

In some cases it'll have no effect, in some cases it'll improve performance, and in some cases it'll cause instability which can lead to crashing and such. So if you do it and have problems, re-enabling your page file should be your first step.

quoted!

there's so many absurd stories on the net about page file

take a look a this article by M.Russinovich(well known windows expert):

http://blogs.technet.com/markrussinovich/archive/2008/11/17/3155406.aspx

"how big should I make the page file" paragraph

Peak Commit Charge can be measured with Procexp (free programm)

I experienced some noticeable improvement on Arma2 page file disabled(Vista64 6gb ram).

only be careful and informed!

bye all.

Edited by rikibitta

I have WIN 7 ...where can i find this??

start/computer/properties/advanced system settings/performance settings/advanced/change/select no page file

When i play the game it runs without lag but the graphics are horrible no matter what settings i have on. For example ill have high graphics on and the characters have no faces and building will be black and gray in 2D. I have a hp pavilion P6214y pc with a quad core AMD anthlon 2x4 620 Prossesor 2.60 GHz with 8 gb of RAM. My Graphics card is a Nvidia GeForce GTS 250 with 512 MB of memory. If anyone knows why its not working right i would appreciate it.

Hey Guys, I originally posted on the 1st page :)...but haven't been able to get on my pc in ALONG time... anyways, people said my processor is slow...What do you think would be a good one to get? or would maybe buying dual graphics cards work?

When i play the game it runs without lag but the graphics are horrible no matter what settings i have on. For example ill have high graphics on and the characters have no faces and building will be black and gray in 2D. I have a hp pavilion P6214y pc with a quad core AMD anthlon 2x4 620 Prossesor 2.60 GHz with 8 gb of RAM. My Graphics card is a Nvidia GeForce GTS 250 with 512 MB of memory. If anyone knows why its not working right i would appreciate it.

Make sure you've updated to patch 1.05. After that, try running the game with -winxp at the end of the shortcut (in the target box after the quotation marks)

Hey Guys, I originally posted on the 1st page :)...but haven't been able to get on my pc in ALONG time... anyways, people said my processor is slow...What do you think would be a good one to get? or would maybe buying dual graphics cards work?

Can you post your PC config? ;)

Here are my Specs

Video Card- Nvidia 9800 Gt

Memory- 6 Gb

OS- Vista 64 bit

Processor-AMD Phenom 9550 Quad-Core Processor 2.20GHZ

I barely get 29 fps average but its always dipping low teens on high/medium settings at 1650x1050

My specs are

GTX 260 OC Maxcore

Phenom 8750 x3 @ 3.10 GHz

3 GBs DDr2 667 Mhz Ram

Windows 7 32 bit Ultimate

I barely manage 30 fps on open fields but i notice the drop close to a city any suggestions on how i can improve FPS?

I barely get 29 fps average but its always dipping low teens on high/medium settings at 1650x1050

My specs are

GTX 260 OC Maxcore

Phenom 8750 x3 @ 3.10 GHz

3 GBs DDr2 667 Mhz Ram

Windows 7 32 bit Ultimate

I barely manage 30 fps on open fields but i notice the drop close to a city any suggestions on how i can improve FPS?

If your motherboard supports phenom II processors that wil improve your framerate a lot. you can also play with settings to make the game lighter for the processor and heavyer for the videocard. Set viewdistance lower, set model detail lower, set terrain detail lower, set shadows lower or off. Set resolution 100%, postprocessing on max, texture detail highest and anisotropic filtering on max.

Edited by Leon86

i just bought Arma 2 and i cant even start up the game!!!! ;(

theres an error code that says Shade server not supported any more

what does this mean?

Sounds like your graphics card isn't compatible, check the minimum specs.

Playing at an average 14FPS sometimes dropping to 4 on warfare servers where most other players have 30+.

Nvidia 9800GT

Memory: 4 GB

Processor: Intel® Core2 Quad CPU Q9300 @2.50Ghz 2.50Ghz

HP manufactured (Novice at building computers) so OCing isn't an option (Bastards)

I have a low budget so if anyone can suggest stuff at £150 or bellow.

Try going into nVidia control panel and force V-sync off.

I've been playing Arma2 up to now using either the editor (simple setups), or some of the included missions... graphics all pretty high, and frame rate good.

I've recently started playing the MyMission/Combat scenario (random Secop missions), and that was fine for a while, but now my frame rate is deteriorating during gameplay.

Starts off fine enough (but with a few hickups/pauses while flying in on the copter during the insertion sequence)... but deep into the session, the frame rate starts to drop, and gets increasingly worse (generally).

I tried reducing various graphics settings (...didn't really have it very high as it was anyway), but that seems to have no effect. Even if I set everything to painfully low, I get the slowdowns... to the point where it becomes a slide show. So, I'm figuring it is either a memory leak of some kind, or there's too much AI happening.... not that I'm an expert on this sort of thing.

Wondering if there's anything else I can tweek or try... and what it might be.

Fragmented drive?

Running it on a P4 dual core with 2 gigs of RAM... XP Pro.... Ya, not exactly a super computer, but my I 7 12 gig RAM machine is for work exclusively (....despite me being REALLY eager to see how things like ARMA2 and Flight Sim X run on it).

Any help is appreciated... Thanks.

Argh my post?! Here we go again...

SecOps everytime you accept missions will spawn AI and objects wich will drag down performance naturally. My older system can lag pretty good when an enemy camp is spawned for example. I dont know if this is the reason for you but might have something to do with it.

Tested with a good defragger? What video card is used? Drivers for video card? Beta or vanilla game? What island and where on the island?

For example i noticed my video drivers cause my game FPS down to slideshow at times so it would be nice knowing what drivers you use. Always best to state all info when asking about a problem.

Oh, dear... Looks like my post was moved to this area... and now I can see why!

Oops... Ya, I suppose there was a very good chance of there being a 'slow performance' thread elsewhere. I guess I should have looked... but I didn't, because I figured mine was not a graphics thing, but more of an AI overload type of deal. Plus, I'm not one of those guys who has his resolution and detail settings set to maximum.

Well, whatever the case, sorry about that!

Okay, I'm using the good old Nvidea GeForce 8800 GT. Vanilla Arma2. Graphics drivers are probably not up to date (...I'll look into that). I defrag often, although I suspect this drive might need a defrag again (...I use Auslogics defrag).

Ya, as you confirmed, the spawned units drain a lot of CPU... From what I can see, it's not that my graphics settings were too high. Putting them really low did nothing to change the speed. Usually, my framerate is quite nice, even with relatively high graphics settings. Definitely seems to be caused by the spawned units and ambient combat, which seems to be a bit more cumbersome to the CPU in the MyMission/Combat scenario, as opposed to my own Editor based scenario (which also used the Secop and Ambient Combat modules, pretty much the same). Not sure what's different. Maybe the internal settings for the modules are more aggressive (more units) than the default ones that I was using on mine (...I didn't tweek any module settings).

I'll read over this whole thread (...again, sorry about not seeing that!), and hopefully it addresses AI strain, rather than just graphics stuff. I'll defrag again as well, and look into drivers (though, again, it doesn't seem to be graphics related).

I was just hoping there was something I could tweek... like number of enemies, etc. that might reduce the strain. I'm getting my butt kicked by the swarms of enemies that seem to be often surrounding me anyway!