R3fl3x

ArmA2 / OA (low) performance issues

Very fine. I have a I7/950 and i CANNOT disable this.

Any particular reason why not? (just out of curiousity)

oh, and on the helpful note, another i7 user found that if you load Arma 2 with -cpucount=2 (without disabling HT) it increases performance. That way the way is only using 2 cores but I've done some thorough tesing and after 1.05 there is little difference between 4 cores and 2 cores (and when there is difference it's usually better for the 2 core setup)

So try that and see if it helps.

Any particular reason why not? (just out of curiousity)
He has a Dell Dude.. no Bios for him.
oh, and on the helpful note, another i7 user found that if you load Arma 2 with -cpucount=2 (without disabling HT) it increases performance. That way the way is only using 2 cores but I've done some thorough tesing and after 1.05 there is little difference between 4 cores and 2 cores (and when there is difference it's usually better for the 2 core setup)

So try that and see if it helps.

The muticore/4 cores is really helpful for multiGPU setups. Bigg difference between 2 or 4 cores on my Quadfire.

I thought BIOS was pretty easy to access from a Dell, unless it voids warrenty. Apart from the usual <del> key most computers use, Dell usually uses the <F2> key, or on older setups it usually uses :

# <Ctrl>+<Alt>+<Enter>

# <Delete>

# <Fn>+<F1> (laptop computers only)

# <Fn>+<Esc> (laptop computers only)

But if it voids warrenty or if Dell has put a password in place to protect it then there's not much you can do (well, you could get around the password but not the warrenty)

I thought BIOS was pretty easy to access from a Dell, unless it voids warrenty. Apart from the usual <del> key most computers use, Dell usually uses the <F2> key, or on older setups it usually uses :

# <Ctrl>+<Alt>+<Enter>

# <Delete>

# <Fn>+<F1> (laptop computers only)

# <Fn>+<Esc> (laptop computers only)

But if it voids warrenty or if Dell has put a password in place to protect it then there's not much you can do (well, you could get around the password but not the warrenty)

They have very limited Bios options and what is there can be locked...

Must be the vendor. I know with a lot of the XPS series you can turn HT off, but yeah, if a vendor locks it then there's not much you can do. Could always flash with the latest Dell BIOS that may disable the lock, but other than that I don't think there's much you can do.

Hi, here my specs:

I7 920 @4ghz

DDR3 4 gb RAM

Windows 7

Ati 4890 HD Vapor-X 1gb with the last Catalyst drivers

HD 640gb

The problem that i have is very weird....because i can play in all high/normal, view 2700 m, in 1600x900 and it runs between 40-60 FPS and 35 in forest and cities. But i have a little "pulls" in the performance for 1 second but it is very troublesome because this repeats every 10 or 15 seconds. And if i put all in very low, 1024x768, view in 2000 ... the pulls stills there and the game runs just like the other config. No matter what I change, the pulls continue there.

I don´t know what to do in order to solve this. Why this happen? I need more ram?

Regards

your DDR ram is just fine

could be your harddrive is fragmented or something like that...

wat i did is turned of my "pagefile" and let my machine run on phisical memory only..

for me the game runs much bether this way.

your DDR ram is just fine

could be your harddrive is fragmented or something like that...

wat i did is turned of my "pagefile" and let my machine run on phisical memory only..

for me the game runs much bether this way.

So, maybe i need to defrag my HD?? What is the "pagefile"?? (sorry, english is not my original language :p)

Regards

Hi, here my specs:

I7 920 @4ghz

DDR3 4 gb RAM

Windows 7

Ati 4890 HD Vapor-X 1gb with the last Catalyst drivers

HD 640gb

The problem that i have is very weird....because i can play in all high/normal, view 2700 m, in 1600x900 and it runs between 40-60 FPS and 35 in forest and cities. But i have a little "pulls" in the performance for 1 second but it is very troublesome because this repeats every 10 or 15 seconds. And if i put all in very low, 1024x768, view in 2000 ... the pulls stills there and the game runs just like the other config. No matter what I change, the pulls continue there.

I don´t know what to do in order to solve this. Why this happen? I need more ram?

Regards

It sounds like you've got the hyperthreading problem. You have to go into BIOS during bootup and disable Hyperthreading (look at your motherboard manual to learn how to do that)

It sounds like you've got the hyperthreading problem. You have to go into BIOS during bootup and disable Hyperthreading (look at your motherboard manual to learn how to do that)

Excellent!!! This works perfect. I disable HT and the game starts to run smooth :yay:. Thanks a lot guys!!

Regards

Very fine. I have a I7/950 and i CANNOT disable this.

I have a I7/920 and dont like to disable HT because its usefull for other apps,

but starting with cpucount=4 and HDRPrecision=32 smoothed everything out fine for me.

Why do you have 4GB of ram on an X58 platform catito? I thought that they all did triple channel?

I have a I7/920 and dont like to disable HT because its usefull for other apps,

but starting with cpucount=4 and HDRPrecision=32 smoothed everything out fine for me.

What exactly does HDR Precision do? I believe that 8 is standard right?

Yes, I could check wikipedia or some place, but technical descriptions never work out in my head ^^

What exactly does HDR Precision do? I believe that 8 is standard right?

Yes, I could check wikipedia or some place, but technical descriptions never work out in my head ^^

In another thread I wrote that the picture looks more "differentiated" with higher HDR Precision, so it improves visual quality and gives me more fps also.

About the exact technical connection to Hyperthreading I dunno, but fixin ArmA 2 performance is a lot of voodoo, anyway;)

So if you have a Dell computer you're SOL if you want to disable hyperthreading? What's the story with the cpu count, where can I find this?

Regards...

Why do you have 4GB of ram on an X58 platform catito? I thought that they all did triple channel?

Because the pack of ram came with 4 gb.... why do you ask? what is the reccomended count of ram for you?

the "PAGEFILE" is your virtual memory,

turn that of it smoothed the game for me.

rightclick my computer/properties/Advanced settings/visualperformance.

it takes a part of your harddrive and uses it as virtual memory only your harddrive have too read two things now, the game and the virtual memory.

in my situation that was my bottleneck..

i think when u have 2 HDD's in RAID it isnt needed, if u installed the game on second HDD

After 1\2 hours of play Vista says I've no more free memory (I have 4gb but ArmA 2 don't use more than 2gb), ingame there are a lot of rendering problems and then I have to close the game

;1581337']After 1\2 hours of play Vista says I've no more free memory (I have 4gb but ArmA 2 don't use more than 2gb)' date=' ingame there are a lot of rendering problems and then I have to close the game[/quote']

Hi Snake!

I have pagefile turn off and it smoothed the game too.

but so you need at least 6gb of ram running Arma2 under Vista64.

with 4gb I had your same error message(memory).

ps: I'm from Italy too. I see on the forum your problems with Arma,

I solve them and maybe I can give you a little help.

feel free to PM me if you need.ciao.

---------- Post added at 01:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:48 PM ----------

Because the pack of ram came with 4 gb.... why do you ask? what is the reccomended count of ram for you?

the optimal ram setting for x58 platform is triple channel,

so 3gb(3x1) 6gb(3x2) etc. in real world applications there's no much

advantage(on double). sure someone on the forum knows how to

explain it better than me,sure!

but for my experience on Vista64 6gb ram are the optimum. disabling pagefile for example.

bye Catito.

;1581337']After 1\2 hours of play Vista says I've no more free memory (I have 4gb but ArmA 2 don't use more than 2gb)' date=' ingame there are a lot of rendering problems and then I have to close the game[/quote']

hello Snake, I have your same problem.

Ps, i'm italian ;)

Hi Snake!

I have pagefile turn off and it smoothed the game too.

but so you need at least 6gb of ram running Arma2 under Vista64.

with 4gb I had your same error message(memory).

ps: I'm from Italy too. I see on the forum your problems with Arma,

I solve them and maybe I can give you a little help.

feel free to PM me if you need.ciao.

---------- Post added at 01:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:48 PM ----------

the optimal ram setting for x58 platform is triple channel,

so 3gb(3x1) 6gb(3x2) etc. in real world applications there's no much

advantage(on double). sure someone on the forum knows how to

explain it better than me,sure!

but for my experience on Vista64 6gb ram are the optimum. disabling pagefile for example.

bye Catito.

hello Snake, I have your same problem.

Ps, i'm italian ;)

Lol, this looks like an italian gather xD

Well, any help would be appreciated. ;)

Now I'm trying with the overclock. My CPU (AMD A64 x2 6000+) now runs in 3135mhz (from 3000mhz). I don't know if it's just a coincidence or that just helped me but I have no more "low memory problems". :D

overclock sure help,i experienced some improvement with my i7940@3.9,

but for"low memory problems"(no pagefile) I think no.

some days ago,while i was playing with bios overclocking my OS see only 4gb ram(I've 6gb) and with pagefile disabled I received the same low memory error message(on Arma2).then I set manually my ram in the bios(frequence,timings etc) Vista return to recognise 6gb and all was ok.

the only time i had the "out of memory" issue was with patch 1.4 and the -maxmem= command in my shortcut...

now the only command i use is -cpucount=4 never had that problem again

only i have 8 gb DDR3 memory and 4096mb of video memory.

the only time i had the "out of memory" issue was with patch 1.4 and the -maxmem= command in my shortcut...

now the only command i use is -cpucount=4 never had that problem again

only i have 8 gb DDR3 memory and 4096mb of video memory.

hi Blackmamba,

with 8gb sure no"out of memory"problem disabling pagefile.

I think trouble start under/around 4gb,

that's for my experience on Vista64.

bye!