R3fl3x

ArmA2 / OA (low) performance issues

you're having ctd and bsod issues it doesn't occur to you that it might be your overclocked cpu? Guess what? that's the problem!

It's amazing how well you can sort out computer troubles so easily, while clearly knowing nothing of the fellows problems nor his system aside from a single forum post. My system is rather mightily overclocked, and I get CTD'd and BsoD's too, and I get the same problems at stock speeds. Guess what? That's not the problem!

My question is why would a recent game be developed on a dated platform using a old engine. Why is there no 64bit addressing in the engine?

Why won't SLI work? Why is there so much hate in the world? ....JK :)

Pleas elaborate, what do you mean dated platform? This is state of the art 3D Engine. The fact that executable is not compiled under 64bit means nothing. There are few games out there that run in native 64bit, and there is no proof that 64bit exe runs better than 32bit one under 64bit OS.

One potential benefit of 64bit exe would be ability to utilize over 2Gb RAM. I'm not sure Arma2 needs that much, so there shouldn't be a problem.

---------- Post added at 08:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:25 PM ----------

I've tried all tweaks but nothing is helping campaign fps. It's VERY STRANGE that SLI is helping fps 'cause settings/resolution don't do anything at all.

Arma2 seems to be CPU limited, higher clocks might help a bit, but I hope future patch will address this. ArmaMark doesn't test CPU performance much because there is nothing going on with AI. Regards.

I still haven't narrowed it down to which one(s) are causing the pauses cause there's so damn many worthless apps that run everytime windows loads :j:

Start->run->msconfig->start messing around with what should and should not boot.

Can anyone tell me if people who tried the demo first had no issues with performance but when they got the full game, they had problems?

The reason I ask is because, I loaded the demo on my current PC which is 7 years old,

AMD Athlon 2800+ 2.08Ghz Single

1.5gig RAM

GeForce 7600Gs 512mb card

Using this crappy PC with the settings on "Normal" I don't have a whole lot of issues playing the demo. I even get around 15 FPS with it. I understand its a demo and its probably a bit more optimized than the full version, but I can't seem to grasp why I am able to even play it all.

There is 0 lag whatsoever

All textures load quickly, hell, even faster than Arma I.

Now, I do have issues with my VC getting stuck in "Infinite loops" from time to time, but nowhere near what I was expecting.

(And yeah, I will be getting a different machine next week)

Edited by Genpatton043
add

I am getting low fps or and loading lags (random slow loading screens, textures not loading right away and models not loading right away). This game and S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Clear Sky are the only games I cannot max. I am also using the beta patch build: 58899 or something like that, it is the latest beta patch. Lower settings look like crap and this is a 2009 game so It is one of those games that can be a pain to look at if it isn't maxed.

Basic System Specs:

Processor: Intel® Core2 Duo CPU E8400 Overclocked @3.6ghz

Memory: 8190MB RAM (4x2gig) OCZ Reaper HPC, SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500)

Hard Drive: 1.5TB (3x500GB) Seagate Barracuda SATA 7200rpm

Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260 216 core @ stock settings

Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Gamer

Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7100) (7100.winmain_win7rc.090421-1700)

Hi fellows, I do have problems with connecting my Logitech Force 3D Pro joystick. The problem is that I can not get it connected to Arma 2. The program although, does recognise it and by pressing the button controller I can see that it is installed.

On my computer it works with other programs okay, so it has to do something with Arma2.

Could somebody help me out??

Arma2 seems to be CPU limited, higher clocks might help a bit, but I hope future patch will address this. ArmaMark doesn't test CPU performance much because there is nothing going on with AI. Regards.

Well, some users are claiming that they have solid 60 fps with most complex campaign missions. But I don't believe that, even if they have SLI 295 cards. If they do have that kind of fps this is not CPU limited then...cpucount option is not working like it should be.

Edited by iHarri

Hi fellows, I do have problems with connecting my Logitech Force 3D Pro joystick. The problem is that I can not get it connected to Arma 2. The program although, does recognise it and by pressing the button controller I can see that it is installed.

On my computer it works with other programs okay, so it has to do something with Arma2.

Could somebody help me out??

I have the same stick, was no problem. Ensure it's installed and plugged in before you load arma2 just to be sure. You might need to go to the controller options menu and "enable controller" or map some functions to it before you see the effect ingame though.

Thought I'd add my performance issues here as well. From what I've been ready here already i've got the standard set of problems in relation to my rig. Poor LOD management, textures not loading, slow and jittery as hell. Running Steam download copy.

Spec

Intel Core i7 975

12gb OCZ platinum RAM

Asus Rampage II mobo

2x Gainward 295's SLI

2x Intel X-25E SSD's Raid0 (Windows & Programs, inc Arma2)

2x Samsung 1.5b HDD's Raid0 (Data Storage)

All running on Win7 x64 RC, no Vista here to test on that, and old XP Pro.

Rob

Thanks for the great response. I've tried everything you guys said, but sadly no luck. It seems that problem is the same all around "the world".

Maybe I should try reinstalling the game on another harddisk, not the SSD? (If I figure out how to force another folder with Steam...)

Message to all: Use XP Pro 32 bit.

I used to use Windows 7/Vista 64 bit. Downgrading to XP Pro 32 bit solved all my performance issues. I now get 30+ fps everywhere. I can't speak for the 64 bit version of XP pro but I'm not taking any chances.

I can only nod to that, although it shouldn't be like that. All my other games (Team Fortress 2, World in Conflict, AA3, Fallout 3, DCS Black Shark) work great under Vista. No performance loss.. it's only ArmA 2 thing.

---------- Post added at 12:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:11 AM ----------

Your processor is slow. Games run on the first core and offload on the second. Using very little of the third and fourth cores. Games are most effected by clock speed, not additional cores. When playing games a quad core doesn't use all 4 cores in unison.

Actually ArmA 2 does use all 4 cores, on my Q6600 they are all loaded.... to 30-40%, but it's pretty even load spread between cores.

---------- Post added at 12:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:13 AM ----------

What strange item has been introduced into cherno that apparently causes all my performance issues?

Lots of grass.

And seriously, if I knew that upgrading my mobo and processor would help, I'd go and order the best one you can buy today (my gfx card is all new gtx295)... but I know it won't... :(

Hi there,

I was just wondering if I could get some advice. Arma II runs fairly well on my pc, at least its stable, but during the campaign - and on Chernarus island in general - I do tend to get really low FPS.

My FPS usually ranges from about 12-20, but in the campaign it gets down to 6FPS at times. Only in really light missions on Utes do I get an FPS of 30, which really is the highest I ever get.

Ive been doing some research, and I believe its mostly down to my graphics card. I have had to put all the graphics settings on low, to be able to get a playable game, I really dont think its a CPU related problem.

These are my specs:

Power Supply 500W

Motherboard nVidia nForce SLi AMD DDR2 Motherboard

Processor AMD Athlon64 X2 4000+ Dual-Core Processor

Memory 2GB (2 x 1GB) DDR2 Memory

Hard Drives 160GB 7,200rpm Serial ATA-II Hard Disk Drive

Video Card nVidia GeForce 8600GT 256MB PCI-Express Video Card

1st Display 19" LCD Monitor TFT Flat Panel Display

Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit Version

I am now considering replacing my graphics card with a GeForce 8800 GT, with a standard memory config of 512Mb. Would this help get my FPS up, and perhaps allow me to play on slightly higher standards?

If anything, please recommend video cards that are compatible with my system and would improve FPS and allow me to play on higher visual settings.

Many thanks

Chances are it's your processor that's slowing you down. You only have a 2.1 GHz cpu and that's not gonna cut it. You should either OC it or buy a faster one

As for buying a new card...

I would say if you go for a new card might as well go big....although you'd probably see a decent improvement; 8800's might be showing their age soon with any new games, and there's supposed to be new DX11 cards soon also. Unless you can get an 8800 for cheap, I'd wait for the next batch of cards to come out and snag a 2xx /48xx series for cheaper.

But like I said all up to you ;) I would definitely look into a cpu

Edited by No Use For A Name

i heard that there is a system that degrades the game if its pirated mayb thats d problem

Well, original here and perfomance is :mad:

Ok back on task guys!

I have tried limiting RAM in the msconfig.

I currently use the -winxp switch.

I have deleted my profile then re-setup the game to no avail when I used the 8800 gts sli performance was better.

I have used a slough of drivers all with the same results. My new cards dominate in all the other games I play.

I am confused will BIS fix these issues?

i heard that there is a system that degrades the game if its pirated mayb thats d problem

LOL, it doesn't degrade it - it displays garbage for image quality.

Ok back on task guys!

I have tried limiting RAM in the msconfig.

I currently use the -winxp switch.

I have deleted my profile then re-setup the game to no avail when I used the 8800 gts sli performance was better.

I have used a slough of drivers all with the same results. My new cards dominate in all the other games I play.

I am confused will BIS fix these issues?

What's your specs? (CPU, os, etc)

judging from many tests on many systems I can tell you that arma 2 runs slower than most mainstream games, partially because of the engine limitation are partially because of the massive world it renders/loads (even crisis only loads part of a world at a time, hence why it's linear) and the advanced graphics.

You notice this most when playing on utes. Utes is a smaller island so it has less to load, hence the higher fps, and the campaign runs even slower than single player missions because while you're doing something in the campaign, many other things are happening on other parts of the map. While you can't see these thongs happening, your CPU is struggling away trying to handle everything.

problems with performance may be caused by securing orginality

in my case - i have very poor performance using orginal arma2.exe while beta-patch which not requires DVD in room - has much better performance

so i think big influence on poor performance is securom (cubic models, loosing textures)

Arma2 on beta patch and on non-beta are two different Armas in my case :/

Perhaps this is of interest to others:

As said before, I had issues with my FPS, it was usually around 15 in most missions, including the campaign, but especially in the campaign it would get right down to 10 or even less average.

The two weaknesses I identified before were my CPU, (2.1Ghz) and my old video card (nVidia GeForce 8600GT 256MB).

I just bought a new video card: NVIDEA GeForce 9600GT 1Gb memory. I have to say this made some very decent improvements to gameplay and FPS. My CPU is still holding me back a little, but during intense missions I now get around 20FPS on average, still not very fast, but at least its much more stable now. I've also been able to increase the settings for some visuals. Also, in lighter missions I can now get FPS as high as 50, the highest I got before was 30.

Does anyone have any more low-cost solutions to getting the FPS up a bit more?

The two weaknesses I identified before were my CPU, (2.1Ghz)

The 4000+ is an awesome overclocker, I got mine to 3 GHz without a voltage increase and 3.4 GHz at 1.6 V.

Ok heres the deal, i bought a brand new gaming pc (worth a fair bit) and thought i would like to see what it can do so buy arma 2 with it.

I take them home and install Arma 2 and it was soo laggy i mean it was stupidly laggy (fps lagg not ping) i cant even get it to run smooth unless i drop settings to very low and have the lowest 3d resolution but the it just looks blurry and teared. Normally i try to run very low settings with 100% 3d resolution and still laggy.

my pc specs are: Quad 2.4ghz amd phenom

4gb ram

Radeon HD 4850 512mb

windows vista home premium 64 bit

wtf is going is there any know issues with my card or is my pc a waste of money

i know this is a very demanding game but to get major lag on low?! is there any performace fixes?

BTW i got all patched to 1.03 .

buy nvidia and use nhancer, so far there is no solution for ati cards but try this, reduce your ram to 2gig as a trail run in win 7, look at the way your video card and cpu downclock as this seemed to cause CTD's in my puter.

run a test of resolutions and setting strarting from 1024 go up, i found the default settings the problem with high end cards and its is best to run high, check arma2.cfg to make sure it shows true state of video ram.

good luck, currently in the open at 6000m view distance and very high detail i get avg 50-60fps, in congest scene this drops to 27 fps.

"NVIDA the way its meant to be played"

Edited by WILLUR
cos i was drunk