FP : DR - News & Discussion

Will you be buy Dragon Rising?  

318 members have voted

1. 1. Will you be buy Dragon Rising?

• Yes, I definitely will buy it.
    • No, I definitely won't buy it.
    • I will decide based on the demo.
    • I will decide based on reviews.

You should read the last few pages of the thread before you post in it.

Specifically, here and here. Unless you want to have another 13 pages-long discussion about it...

Well, BI games simulate real bullets since OFP, you "can see bullet" if you want. I never had any trouble driving vehicles as long as the keyboard is well configured. AI morale is simulated since OFP, and much better now in ArmA2. It's true that the hitpoints system should be modified in ArmA2, but it isn't game breaking for me (matter of priorities i guess). Having an optimized engine that only simulates 64 AI shouldn't be that hard IMO : "my" OFP simulates 64x12 AI by sides (4 sides, 64x12x4 = a lot more than 64...)

Edited by ProfTournesol

Having an optimized engine that only simulates 64 AI shouldn't be that hard IMO : "my" OFP simulates 64x12 AI by sides (4 sides, 64x12x4 = a lot more than 64...)

It's not 64 AI that the game is limited to, it's 63 entities which includes players, AI, vehicles and other objects.

You should read the last few pages of the thread before you post in it.

Specifically, here and here. Unless you want to have another 13 pages-long discussion about it...

I see a lot of bias in that. A lot of it is silly, specifically a lot of the stuff in the second link. Almost funny, but not quite enough to make me laugh.

I suppose I should get out of this thread now, no use posting here anymore.

EDIT: Couldn't resist

Well, BI games simulate real bullets since OFP, you "can see bullet" if you want... AI morale is simulated since OFP, and much better now in ArmA2.

Odd, I have been playing OFP and ArmA/2 since each of their releases, and I can't agree with either of these statements.

Edited by Apache-Cobra

Apache-Cobra - these guys arent mil-sim fans - theyre BIS fans. If CM sold OFP : DR in a solid gold DVD case, these guys would say ArmA2 is better because the box is lighter.

I see a lot of bias in that. A lot of it is silly, specifically a lot of the stuff in the second link. Almost funny, but not quite enough to make me laugh.

Yes, parts do seem slightly bias. But I find that the majority of what they say is actually fact. The majority of the features listed are in fact in ArmA II already, or worse than what ArmA II has. Of course, some might be better as well. The main issue is that CM tote these features as if they're new and groundbreaking, when in fact they are not. You can argue that they're new and groundbreaking for console games, but since when have consoles been what OFP is about? Elite had no where near the success that OFP did on the PC, for the best example I can think of.

Apache-Cobra - these guys arent mil-sim fans - theyre BIS fans.

We are mil-sim fans. Don't see why you're making this point as DR is not a mil-sim, but a "tactical shooter".

Edited by Zipper5

The only silly thing in this thread is when people, like you, lists features that has been in even OFP since 2001 as new feature that DR has over ArmA2.

Thank the Lord that Dr will be released soon so all of this mindless b*tching will hopefully end and real comparisons that are actually based on fact can begin...

Well, when your argument is "DR will beat ArmA 2 if we assume that DR is better than ArmA 2" you really can't say much about other people being biased or silly or whatever.

NVM, above post said it all

Edited by 4 IN 1

This is an example of what I'd call a self-refuting argument.

Yah, I know right.

He's not even the first one to try and use it. These guys (and they are shills let's be honest) lack the debating skills that are required for this discussion.

They try to make badly researched (AKA completely false) claims about DR and when they are refuted, they resort to using one of DR's biggest shortcomings (and possibly A2's biggest advantage over DR) as some kind of win for DR.

One thing I can pretty much guarantee you right now is that OFP/A1/A2 will always have a MUCH bigger modding community. From what I've heard about DR's editor, it isn't very flexible at all and that isn't going to attract modders. Neither are the severe limitations of the game.

If you are going to come here with the intention of shilling for CM, do some research first.

Eth

All in all, there still not enought things that make it ARMA killer(for now)

Frankly, the amount of stuff not in the game as it is right now is enough to make it no where near being an ArmA killer at all. Not even close. However, it will be a good second entry of the harder core games onto consoles. Keep in mind that it's not the first, Elite for the Xbox was.

EDIT: Couldn't resist

Odd, I have been playing OFP and ArmA/2 since each of their releases, and I can't agree with either of these statements.

Really, a lot of it is "silly" but no attempts to refute it because it's all fact.

Just stupid comment after stupid comment.

There is no use in you posting making stuff up here anymore.

Bye

Eth

The only silly thing in this thread is when people, like you, lists features that has been in even OFP since 2001 as new feature that DR has over ArmA2.

The original OFP had FLIR, dismemberment, vehicle and body armor penetration, and vehicle suspension? I must have missed that.

Well, when your argument is "DR will beat ArmA 2 if we assume that DR is better than ArmA 2" you really can't say much about other people being biased or silly or whatever.

I didn't mean to sound biased, though I guess it sort of was.

Really, a lot of it is silly but no attempts to refute it because it's all fact.

Just stupid comment after stupid comment.

There is no use in you posting making stuff up here anymore.

Bye

Eth

I won't refute it because those points in the second link are either true, or completely biased. You can easily tell for yourself.

Apache-Cobra - these guys arent mil-sim fans - theyre BIS fans. If CM sold OFP : DR in a solid gold DVD case, these guys would say ArmA2 is better because the box is lighter.

Yah, only DR fans are mil sim fans right?

Muppet.

Take your ball and go FFS.

Eth

That 63 entities limit is really a bitch. For example all those new features DR AI has will work great in the campaign but it will be of little use for the player after he finishes the campaign. If you are limited to a max of 30 AIs per side in the editor then its better to go online and play against 30 real player instead of 30 AI. At least that why I use the editor in ARMA2, I like big battles.

The original OFP had FLIR, dismemberment, vehicle and body armor penetration, and vehicle suspension? I must have missed that.

No, but pretty much all the other stuff including Flarmapoint 2s list.

Perhaps we should tone down the hostility in here, before a moderator comes to lock it and we'll have to resort to writing our opinion on the DR forums, only to be banned half an hour later... *gulp*

That 63 entities limit is really a bitch. For example all those new features DR AI has will work great in the campaign but it will be of little use for the player after he finishes the campaign. If you are limited to a max of 30 AIs per side in the editor then its better to go online and play against 30 real player instead of 30 AI. At least that why I use the editor in ARMA2, I like big battles.

Yeah, that's a shame. There were some hints that modding could alter that limit, or that some machines can go above it with no consequence, but I guess we'll just have to find out later.

I didn't mean to sound biased, though I guess it sort of was.

I won't refute it because those points in the second link are either true, or completely biased. You can easily tell for yourself.

You won't refute it because you can't. If you could, you would.

Simple as.

That was my post. Pretty much every point he made was wrong with regards to A2 - all I posted were the actual facts.

Again, facts that you cannot refute.

Eth

You won't refute it because you can't. If you could, you would.

Simple as.

That was my post. Pretty much every point he made was wrong with regards to A2 - all I posted were the actual facts.

Again, facts that you cannot refute.

Eth

Golden rule of debating... respect your opponent... I won't even bother talking to you anymore, but perhaps if someone else asks me respectfully to share what I think about those "facts", I'll bite.

@Apache-Cobra

Show us please some pics and/or videos of the so much praised dismemberment and armor penetration. I've yet to see it. And no, that someone has a hole in the head is NOT dismemberment.

@Apache-Cobra

Show us please some pics and/or videos of the so much praised dismemberment and armor penetration. I've yet to see it. And no, that someone has a hole in the head is NOT dismemberment.

It's been confirmed time and time again by Codemasters, and is documented in the strategy guide. I can paste the article about penetration here if you wish, but on the topic of dismemberment, I guess you'll have to trust CM's word on that.

FLIR in OFP:DR might look fancy(well acturally it doesnt as it just make everything that moves growing like christmas tree while other things even those give out/reflect natural IR signature are all black)and better then what we have in ARMA2, but hey, ARMA2:AH is going to have a much better one so why bothered?

And is dismemberment really that improtant?:j:

Edited by 4 IN 1

FLIR in OFP:DR might look fancy(well acturally it doesnt as it just make everything that moves growing like christmas tree while other things even those give out/reflect natural IR signature are all black)and better then what we have in ARMA2, but hey, ARMA2:AH is going to have a much better one so why bothered?

How is it better, exactly?