FP : DR - News & Discussion

Will you be buy Dragon Rising?  

318 members have voted

1. 1. Will you be buy Dragon Rising?

• Yes, I definitely will buy it.
    • No, I definitely won't buy it.
    • I will decide based on the demo.
    • I will decide based on reviews.

just shows are ignorant you are lol... watch the skira vid.

Yeah i watched it and it was crap

Happy

Here is a comprehensive list of places where you talk nonsense.

im gonna look now, and if there isnt any problems with it, and you have proof otherwise, you're just as brain dead as the rest of the trolls in this dragon rising thread.

---------- Post added at 02:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:17 AM ----------

Yeah i watched it and it was crap

Happy

you didnt pay attention in other words in regards to what the whole story is about.

Here is a comprehensive list of places where you talk nonsense.

Doesnt quite work, but i think THIS is what you were looking for.

linky

It even updates in real time!

im gonna look now, and if there isnt any problems with it, and you have proof otherwise, you're just as brain dead as the rest of the trolls in this dragon rising thread.

You straddle that fine line between genius and mental retardation, I'll give you that much :whistle:

Doesnt quite work, but i think THIS is what you were looking for.

linky

Exactlty, no proof, no brain, no good! i talked only fact, and you guys couldnt handle it, and through a hissy fit.

Well, as once i thought of this community as mature, and smart, i now think of it as troll bound and simple.

/me throws TimRiceSE into the useless bin

Okz, seeing as you guys are gonna buy the game anyway, or find a torrent for it, i have nothing else to state or say other than, see you on the battlefield!

Edited by Flarmapoint 2

you didnt pay attention in other words in regards to what the whole story is about.

Wrong!!! i payed attention...you just assumed i didn't

I know exactly what the story is about but it doesn't interest me anymore and since this is a DR discussion i'm allowed to say why it doesn't interest me. I'm not flaming.

QUESTION:

Why do u get so upset when people don't like a games features and why do u post in an immature way?

hahaha what a fool, you just embarressed your fan boy mates there lol

Personal attacks aren't allowed here. As I said before, if you are going to proceed in this manner, you'd be better served over at the CM forums.

Wait, why dont we have a rule that forbids lying? It would have ended this retarded discussion 10 pages ago.

I didnt come in here to read someone complain about Arma2, we have other topics for that.

Exactlty, no proof, no brain, no good! i talked only fact, and you guys couldnt handle it, and through a hissy fit.

Well, as once i thought of this community as mature, and smart, i now think of it as troll bound and simple.

/me throws TimRiceSE into the useless bin

Okz, seeing as you guys are gonna buy the game anyway, or find a torrent for it, i have nothing else to state or say other than, see you on the battlefield!

+1 Infraction point for that, you were warned.

@The rest

Can we agree on just ignoring the obvious trolls and atleast try to stay on topic. ;)

Well, to give my two cents...

first, to know where I'm coming from, I played OFP since the demo, I have well over 900 hours on my Xfire for ArmA1, I play stuff like Steel Beasts Pro/DCS.

Obviously OFP:DR is not ArmA2. I don't think anyone would want that anyway, so you have to not just compare the two, but take it on its own merits. Of course some people on both sides will hate the other game reguardless of what it is based on brand loyalty.

Obviously the first thing everyone brings up is realism. On sum total ArmA2 will come out ahead a bit, but the gap is not that wide or clear cut. This is no COD4 despite its quirks, as such I think most people who enjoy arma could enjoy OFP: DR, like ghost recon, project reality, red orchestra, or whatever, it's still in the general area. It's probably the closest thing to ArmA/OFP made yet, so I think a bit of credit is due.

Now where I'm coming at it is from a modding/coop perspective. Adding realism is easier than fixing up/adding features to the game itself. I made a minimod for Crysis for example, tweak a few numbers and you have a borderline tactical shooter. A lot of what I see "wrong" with OFP:DR are design choices, not technical limitations. The immense potential is there, for something of sitting between ArmA2 and the infiltration mod. ArmA does big picture very well, but tends to have issues at the more individual level, lots of mods/games like infiltration do the detail and individual level very well, but not much above. What I see is a potential for a "middle picture"(?) game, focusing primary on things like combat immersion, coop, depth, and detail. Like arma or anything else, it really needs a solid mod to realize it's full potential.

Anyway, that's why I started the CSP mod ( http://combatsimulationproject.info/ ). I geuss we'll have to see how that turns out, but it's looking good so far.

So in summary, I think if you can let go of the "us vs them" mentality, I think a lot of people who like ArmA will find OFP:DR enjoyable. Of course not everyone will, for whatever reason or brand loyalty.

Hopefully this can get the topic a bit more on track and less of trolling/flaming.

I may have missed a more recent announcement but assuming I haven't, how do you plan to get models in game without tools?

It's all 3dsmax stuff, mostly off the shelf or open source. Keep in mind this is the ego engine, which seems to almost aiming for middleware. Not a lot of homebrew model stuff like in ArmA. Codemasters is at least planning on some basic modding support, adding in models/textures should be pretty easy. My main issues are the extent of access via the LUA and such, along with the plans for some of the other tools. So certainly there is some risk involved, but I wouldn't start this up if I didn't have the information to think that this risk is reasonable. However, I don't know everything and we'll find out more as it's released.

that would be a question to ask, as codiy only gives "yes" "no" "maybe" at the time being, clearly someone have to figure out how to make it true if there will not be any, yet even if they can find a way to bypass that codiy wont be sitting ducks to let the big fish of DLC get away (remember UBI also promised SDK tools when RS3 release and that promise have "Gone with the wind"?)

@ Ryujin

Did you even read their editor readme?

latest news from their guide "copied from OFP DR forum"

The fire-team WILL NOT vault over obstacles but MUST find a way around them. This can result in their being left behind if YOU don't take care and make sure there's a route they can take that will allow them to catch up with you...

latest news from their guide "copied from OFP DR forum"

The fire-team WILL NOT vault over obstacles but MUST find a way around them. This can result in their being left behind if YOU don't take care and make sure there's a route they can take that will allow them to catch up with you...

Well, the same applies to arma2... your AI there can't vault either.... (though I think they may walk through things from time to time)

@kju: Yes, but that only pertains to mission editing.

OFP 2 is coming out next week. I guess we'l see how it turns out.

Well, the same applies to arma2... your AI there can't vault either.... (though I think they may walk through things from time to time)

@kju: Yes, but that only pertains to mission editing.

you're right, i was under the assumption that arma2 ai can do it as well since i can do it! wow!

you're right, i was under the assumption that arma2 ai can do it as well since i can do it! wow!

Well, they do walk through it. May be a very cheap solution, but at least they don't go for a mile long hike because of a field fence.

As one of the reviewers has said

You're basing your argument on one reviewer. And the review itself was badly written. Stuff works only when it doesn't. HMMMMMM. wise words mr. reviewer. Seriously.

A lot of what I see "wrong" with OFP:DR are design choices, not technical limitations.

I'm pretty sure things like the 4km^2 'playpen' and lack of jets stemmed from engine issues. Also, no one really knows how moddable the game is going to be as they have released next to no information on modding tools, it's quite possible that they will never come out at all...

Yay its debunking time again \o/

1. weapons can jam,

Unconfirmed, rumour mill stuff here, havent seen anything about it in the release material.

2. bullets can penertrate through stuff, but this correctly calculated, to determine thickness of material, and speed of bullet over distance.

Technically so does ArmA, just 90% of stuff isnt setup for it. I also will not get excited about it until I've seen it in the release version - if they've cut getin/out animations for vehicles, I hardly think they will have kept a massively complex damage system.

3. fantastic physics engine which runs all sorts of awesome stuff!

Really? I've seen a lot of reviewers complain about "wooly" vehicle handling, an I've yet to see any proof in their videos otherwise. Shooting down helicopters for example, ends up with the same bouncy wreckage as in ArmA...

4. correct reload and assemble animations for weapons

I'll give them "assemble" animations, but I'll hold off on the correct...

5. fantastic, and real weapon sounds for weapons

Again, I'll give them "sounds recorded from real sources" - incidentally, only for the USMC equipment, since I'm pretty sure China and whoever else uses Chinese equipment isnt all that friendly to western games companies...

6. flir

The most awful IR shader I've ever seen. "Lets just make everything that moves (vehicles, people) white, and everything else black/grey." Utter bullshit. Theres no indication of metabilism, heat up/cool down times, no indication of anything other than white-hot mode, no indication of thngs getting hot just from the sun shining on them, no indication of hot particles (i.e. hot smoke, white phosphorous) being able to affect the picture. Etc etc. Its not FLIR, its a fancy gimmick to sucker people in.

7. guns have correct gadgets implemented such as torches, lasers etc...

I've seen the torch work, but I've not seen any evidence of the IR lasers working. Do bipods work? Can you use the leaf sight on the m203? Other than that, its nothing more than the soldier having a torch.

8. different ammo types for each weapon

woo, the ArmA series (by which I mean OFP, ArmA1 & ArmA2) has had this forever

9. different rates of fire

see above

10. Intelligent ai

No proof of this. Even the most golowing reviews say that the AI can be as dumb as hats at times.

11. fantastic command system

Really? I've only seen the commo rose, which whilst quite awesome, is crippled by the fact its a console port. You have to use keys to control it, rather than the mouse. Awful. Also, move here, follow me, formation stuff has been in the arma series forever too.

12. awesome range of weapons, and air strikes

Which ArmA has more of...

13. Catstrophic damage system, for vehicles and humans alike

I'll give them the humans one, but I've not seen anything related to that for vehicles.

14. real time day/night cycle

Which the ArmA series has had, along with rain, forever.

15. realistic player effects from bullets, and tiredness

Yes, because blood and mud splashing onto your eyes in the way depicted in dragon rising is realistic... Not seen any evidence of a fatigue system...

16 levels of communication, depending on what the sitiuation is, shouting, normal, and whisper voice

That I'll give them, is very cool.

17. can enter most buildings, and can either open door by handle, or kick it in

Because they've only shown us about 5 buildings so far, seriously, Skira seems to have been inhabited by nothing bigger than a bus full of farmer-peasants, who, rather handily have all left the island.

18. island features volcano, coves, and bunkers

Unless the volcano spews molten lava out of it, its nothing more than a hill. The ArmA series has featured all of that forever.

19. ai cannot see through smoke, vegitation, ai feature moral, and awarness systems, as well as a few others.

No evidence of this.

20. Fantastic graphics, and awesome lighting effetcts

Graphics, which because of the console limitations, looks no better than BF2 of 5 years ago... Limited poly counts, low res textures and limited animations.

21. Awsome particle effects system

Which have been noted, even by the positive reviews, to be lacking. That column of smoke "just over the horizon" in all their PR shots and videos was said to have been added in post...

22. sound fx feature bullet cracks, gun fire from differnent distances, speed & distance of sound is implemented

As it was in ArmA1 and 2

23. the awesome streaming tech, allows for huge draw distances!

No, the low-detail terrain allows for long draw distances, the streaming tech allows for them to create 220 sq km of terrain, and have it load on the fly as you move over it. Although it seems that the streaming tech will only ever be used in the SP campaign, because in multiplayer you're always limited to a 2x2km box...

and much much more, hardly any of the above are featured in arma 2. Seriosuly, ive only scratched the service of whats in ofpdr.

And much more bs from the PR department. Almost all of what was initially promised in 2007 is now gone because of technical limitations. And you're wrong, about 70% of what you listed above has been in the arma series since 2001 and the release of OFP.

A lot of the stuff you highlighted will be implemented via the modders. Rain will be included soon, altho it isnt a big deal lol

Lol, so its cool that stuff is missing from dragon rising and might possibly be able to be added by modders, but its not cool that its missing from arma and can definitely be added by modders.

Hypocrite much?

And your wrong about the ai, completely lol, and it isnt somthing you can judge without playing the game first. Arma 2 ai is shockingly bad, they run around like mindless zombies most of the time. Driving ai's are completly tardish, and most ai run off when being fired on. I urge you to do some research on DR's ai.

By that logic, since you havent played dragon rising yet either, you're not allowed to sing its praises either?

You'd probably do well to read some of the reviews, where they claim the dragon rising ai to be equally bad at driving (going through things instead of around them) and equally as capable of making dumb decisions as ArmA's...

You've been so suckered in by the PR hype that its actually kind of sad. I pity you...

And now on to read the rest of the 3 pages posted overnight...