FP : DR - News & Discussion

Will you be buy Dragon Rising?  

318 members have voted

1. 1. Will you be buy Dragon Rising?

• Yes, I definitely will buy it.
    • No, I definitely won't buy it.
    • I will decide based on the demo.
    • I will decide based on reviews.

Supposedly he got fed up with the direction the game was heading (having probably signed NDA he didn't disclose any details and nor did CM).

If that rumor is truth I believe I owe him an apology for whatever bad things I said about him.

Well if thats the case maybe he'll come over to the dark side (are we the dark side btw?) and make some kicka$$ AI mods for Arma2 :rolleyes:

Just for fun go back in time via youtube and watch the early interviews and renders of what was to be OFP: DR.

Lotsa talk of "Simulation"; "Scale"; "Editor"; "Modding abilities"; "Unrivaled AI"; "Realism"...

...what the hell happened there. What ever happened to Clive Lindrop anyways -he was their lead AI designer and left mid construction?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Plw8jvvJJuU

Clive Lindop is probably playing ARMA 2 :D

Maybe he didn't want to look stupid as the game is not much like he describes in that video, i think that game is totally turning the boat

Maybe he wants to join BI

Nah here is a LinkedIn profile http://www.linkedin.com/pub/clive-lindop/4/136/970

He is working for crytek

Edited by vasmkd

Why should people switch off their brain if they can wait and try DR (or the demo) out before buying the game? It seems that sometimes people acting like lemmings... does somebody or something force them to buy games blindly?

Maybe many mainstream/casual players want only more accessible games with less configuration/options and a simple story + gameplay?

We're a bit worried about the legacy. Although it means shit in the real world, every geek inside of us is screaming from the horror that has been done upon our princess.

I would have liked to have seen something that was a good midpoint between the slow paced, yet highly rewarding ArmA, and the cheap high-speed thrills of COD. Seems we're just getting another clone of the latter.

Well thats if they are to be taken at their word. It seems disingenuous to have known about the lack of a pre-launch demo for some time and only reveal it at the time-slot it was generally expected to be released. Add the many other 12th hour surprises ie. tethering, MP map constraints, and it smells more of a "covering up" than a "finishing up". Their main programmers are apparently already on vacation as the game is apparently finished so I'm not sure how that all adds up.

What's the difference? No company even proposes absolute transparency to the general public. If they are delaying to mop up bugs and sort out issues, that's a good thing. I'm sure that BIS would have enjoyed that luxury.

I would have liked to have seen something that was a good midpoint between the slow paced, yet highly rewarding ArmA, and the cheap high-speed thrills of COD. Seems we're just getting another clone of the latter.

COD had a lot of cool scripted stuff... well, at least the last COD that I played. If DR is like OFP, it will have none of that, so the gameplay will feel more chaotic and random. One of the charms of the COD franchise is its very carefully laid out cinematic experience. If you can't have this carefully scripted movie experience to pull you in, and you don't have this very intricate simulation experience to immerse you like in A2, what do you have? I'm kind of really eager to find out how CM solves this problem. CS with no corridors seems kind of lame.

What's the difference? No company even proposes absolute transparency to the general public. If they are delaying to mop up bugs and sort out issues, that's a good thing. I'm sure that BIS would have enjoyed that luxury.

I'll repeat: Thats if you take them at their word. So far, CM has shown me nothing other than extremely lofty claims, misleading marketing and broken promises with no track record to prove different. Sure if BI had no track record of proven success and promised us things like ragdoll, real time physics, and absolute realism with vehicle desctruction -only to pull these claims at last second -I wouldn't be so nicey nicey to them either.

I don't take them at their word and consider this a business ploy to protect their product from premature bad reviews. Yes that may be smart to protect your product, but smarter consumers know better...

Come on, CM are smarter than that. They haven't really promised anything, and the wording they use is simply subjective.

Looking pretty dire for my tastes. Someone should list the pros and cons. Thing is it might be a great blast for console owners to play with friends, and get them into a more "realistic" (as in squad-based, long-range battle, for example) type of shooter, perhaps leading them onto buying an actual infantry simulator such as Arma2 in the future.

I earned myself a ban on the Codemasters site for correcting blatant lies and

incorrect points some people were making on there.

* The "jbr" posts under the reviews thread are mine.

http://community.codemasters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=379417

Heres a few I corrected. Not exact wording but basiclly what they said.

- NO games exist that allow you to play on such a large map and use all of it.

Arma II does

- Arma II does not have vehicle in/out animations

Yes it does

- Arma II does not have healing/medic animations

Yes it does

- Arma II does not have weapon reload animations

Yes it does

- OFP2 is the first realistic/sim to come out in several years

Obviously not true.

Lots more blatant lies like that on the CM forums, many of which are posted by the mods themselves.

I even posted Youtube videos proving the above statements are not true but I guess video

evident is not good enough...or...... makes them angry.

I've noticed 99% of the people with "Banned" under their name on the Codemasters site have all made posts correcting misinformation/lies.

I'm amazed they haven't removed the comments section on their Youtube videos since they seem very desperate to keep their lies and disinformation

a secret.

Viiiper seems to be very fond of posting half-truths blatant lies

and revisionist history of OFP. IE saying CM designed it.

Sad thing is I was hoping OFP would be a slightly less hardcore happy balance between Arma II and BF2/Graw 2..etc. Realistic and such but

not a headache to learn and you don't have to invest hours into completing a round. but it looks like a dumbed down (Accessible) BF2/COD4 clone run and gun with larger maps.

P.S. For the CM people monitoring this thread. Banning people for telling the truth and correcting misinformation just makes YOU look bad not the poster.

and as far as the ban goes...... I can still view and post through proxy servers so suck on that . Your wannabe Mall cop power trip FAILED.

Edited by jblackrupert

i read this and just thought i'd throw it up here for someone that may be interested in this strange topic.

------------------------------------------------------

PC Gamers Boycotting Operation Flashpoint 2

Angry hardcore oldschool PC Gamers are reporting and appear to be boycotting and cancelling their pre-orders of Codemasters upcoming release Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising, a tactical shooter video game for the Console & PC market.

They are upset because they felt the company has misled the title and sold out its name to console players and simply abusing the success tha name has and providing a port to the PC where the game originally was developed under the name Operation Flashpoint.

As the game nears the end of its development state and nears release date, PC gamers feel more and more cold shouldered as to what this title bring to them in comparison of what they know Operation Flashpoint to be.. The coldness has erupted into bitterness as there has be little video, news, or information showcasing in terms of what the title is about, especially in regards to multiplayer play. To even further the shroud covering the anticipation of whats to come, Codemasters recently officially announced there will no game demo prior to

launch date for the PC version. Something that they have been promoting as providing as far back as the early development days that will be available.

The bottom line is seems that PC Gamers are feeling, is that they are being tossed to the curb and fed leftover scraps to a easier to manage platform version of the game.. In recent development, players have learned there are things like no leaning in the game, and very little features, because a controller can only handle so much as opposed to a keyboard / mouse.

The sellout comes as no surprise as the title has seperated from the actual developers of the original game. Codemasters broke away retaining the actual rights to the Operation Flashpoint registered trademarked name, which is yet another dagger in the eyes of PC gamers realizing now that the company probably doesnt care a bit about the name but is using it popularity to its advantage.

PC Gamers are feeling ever so dark in their world as games get more simple and developers work less and less and provide less for more in todays lazy society. They feel they have been shunned and are starting to rumble they will not be treated unfairly and they don't care about the games they will soon miss, that if oyu are not going to support the PC, they are not going to support those that port to the PC and stop buying the games.

This seems to be working as EA Games Madden 2010 doesnt seem to be available on the PC, which strikes me as very ODD.

The sales must have been so low in 2009 they could have only expected to not profit in 2010.

And as an oldschool PC Gamer myself, I commend them...

Only problem is.. what the hell do I use my $550 pc video card for now?

- Arma II does not have vehicle in/out animations

Yes it does

The tiny jump into the door does not classify as a real vehicle in/out animation in my eyes.

- Arma II does not have weapon reload animations

Yes it does

Again, its just a tiny wiggle with the gun and some waving of arms, universal for all weapons, its not a "real" animation.

Peeps: where did you get that from?

Come on, CM are smarter than that. They haven't really promised anything, and the wording they use is simply subjective.

Not sure what you mean by 'they are smarter'?

Maybe they didn't cross their hearts and hope to die and give us all promise rings but semantics aside, they seem to have failed in just about every initial statement made about their game on just about every level. I'm sure I could make a point for point list of these failures matching them to said statements but I really don't think it's worth the time. The game will be out soon enough (?) and we'll all see for ourselves.

@Angry peeps: Who wrote that?

Not sure what you mean by 'they are smarter'?

We live in a wonderful world where making an actual promise in marketing can get you a nice big lawsuit. As such, everybody avoids acutal promises and just mentions stuff. Wording that is used can be very subjective. Their realism isn't the same as my realism.

The tiny jump into the door does not classify as a real vehicle in/out animation in my eyes.

It is still more than the magic *plob* you can see in the latest DR video though.

@Angry peeps: Who wrote that?

We live in a wonderful world where making an actual promise in marketing can get you a nice big lawsuit. As such, everybody avoids acutal promises and just mentions stuff. Wording that is used can be very subjective. Their realism isn't the same as my realism.

All the more reason for those who've been around the block a few to call Companies out when they're full of sh*t.

---------- Post added at 08:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:06 PM ----------

Probably the most interesting video yet.

Fog of War

The island is looking good. Too bad you won't be able to use it in that scale.

I wish BI would use this much marketing. At least youtube marketing.

Not sure, but here I found another article on DR forums that is pretty convincing of the left behind nature pc gamers are feeling today and frankly growing tired of.

I am not going to post as that is probabyl frowned upon here the link but rip it..

The title is called "The end of PC gaming is here.. Thanks to OPFP2"

if you want to go find it

------------------------------

One sad PC Gamer here waving his final goodbyes.. Please note I am not coming back, I have recieved many pm's about things, but I am done here, I see no point of being a pc gamer here in consoleland bringing hope to a title that can not possibly come close of restoring the fun we had back in the day of playing Pperation Flashpoint.

Simply put, OPFP2 is a XBOX Console Game, the pc version is nothing more than a port, and we all know undoubtably that pc versions will never be the

superior form of a game created in this context.. There simply is not even a viable reason to port a XBOX game to the PC.. It is pretty pointless and

already learned from EA Games, go look there is NO PC version of Madden 2010 lol. It's not because it's hard work or piracy, its simply because

NOONE BUYS IT... Noone is happy with it.. There is simply no point of doing so.

There is no reason to have hope of getting the title we expect that Operation Flashpoint originally brought to us on the PC.. The console sequel to this title

may indeed be a fun game, but it is a console game and nothing more. It can't possibly satisfy us experienced PC Gamers, so there is no point trying to satisfy us. There is only dissappointment to come.

It is blatent obvious with the lack of player videos, the lack of showing of this game at conventions that this game can not possibly live up to the name

Operation Flashpoint has achieved by pc gamers and is now verified by the admittance no demo will be avaiable by launch date. The true lack of showing or announcing anything really to do with Multiplayer play pretty much sums it up in a nutshell

I am not here to frown upon what is to come in the near future with it. I sincerly hope you have fun with it... I really dont want to bring down any console gamer who is looking to enjoy some tactical combat and mayhem to come.. But that simply can not compate to what a lot of us pc gamers have anticipated, and we have always been told, that they will keep the PC version kind of a seperate build when we questioned the fact there was console versions...

We may not have ever been outright lied too.. But we now can come to an easy conclusion of what we skeptical of to be more true now than ever especially proven by the lack of product shown to us to date and announcement of no pc demo.

So, there is no need for your corporate antiwhining here.. I wont be back to even read your replies.. MODS you can disable my account from future posting.

No more need for "come on dude give it a chance pm's" and "please don't leave... Etc etc" I appreciate it.. But I have better things to do these years then to waste it on something that I feel is subpar and going in the wrong direction.

For one example, I just looked at my bookcase which has 100's of PC titles and picked up my Original Falcon 4.0 Binder Version of that great combat flight sim

from Microprose. It brings a tear to me eye, to find it is some 11 years later, and never will we ever have the professionalism and skill used to provide us a product like such as what I am holding in my hands here ever again. I mean just thumbing through this incredible 200+ page manual where it displays every aspect of the cockpit, to even how to engage in combat evasive maneuves and flying the plane.. Just makes me shake my head at where we are at in a society today. Providing less for more is not something I can continue to support, when I have been through this before being sold by marketing hype. I can honestly say that the last 15-20 pc game purchases I have made since BF2 have been complete wastes of dollars. And I can and will no longer continue to support this market that is obviously not being supported.

I said in my eariler posts you may have read of what impact OPFP2 can seriously do in damage to the fading PC gaming genre.. It can save it or destroy it. And as of now, I dont think have to wait to the release date anymore now to know that this end near is indeed true.. I will now exit witih my dignity and pride, and honor the pc games and real developers of the past have given me, with no hope of a future. alst while holding on to my $50

15 years of fun and all i walk away with is $50 not wasted.. Hell, as least i got something.. sorry OpFp2 devs, I can not pay you a dime for putting an end to the PC Gaming market.

Farewell and have fun console gamers.. just remember to salute us for our sacrifices we have given you.

------------------------------

Kinda deep, makes some great points in how PC gamers are truly being shit upon... And i find it great they are stepping up and not supporting this port stuff, which i do agree to is just stupid.. we can go out and get consoles.. we dont want too, so keep your crap in your arena, quit friggan toying with us with your "basic" crap

I earned myself a ban on the Codemasters site for correcting blatant lies and

incorrect points some people were making on there.

P.S. For the CM people monitoring this thread. Banning people for telling the truth and correcting misinformation just makes YOU look bad not the poster.

and as far as the ban goes...... I can still view and post through proxy servers so suck on that . Your wannabe Mall cop power trip FAILED.

I've been warned more than once that I'm very close to being banned from this forum. I've been earning "infractions". This means you are the anti-datter... please stay back lest we come into contact and thus destroy the universe. :)

Kokatu wrote a pretty defining preview on it: tedious and colorless....go to their site and have a good read.....

I think, it will be just a simple console port.....

Not worth picking up.....

I'll repeat: Thats if you take them at their word. So far, CM has shown me nothing other than extremely lofty claims, misleading marketing and broken promises with no track record to prove different. Sure if BI had no track record of proven success and promised us things like ragdoll, real time physics, and absolute realism with vehicle desctruction -only to pull these claims at last second -I wouldn't be so nicey nicey to them either.

I don't take them at their word and consider this a business ploy to protect their product from premature bad reviews. Yes that may be smart to protect your product, but smarter consumers know better...

The exact same has been said by numerous people in regards to BI and their products. I think a more balanced approach to the subject is in order. BI had all kinds of awesome ideas when they were doing R&D for game 2. Some of them didn't make it to the final cut, or are in but in a limited way. Walker's post about load calculations seem to have some truth to them. They obviously thought they could do complex animations for getting in and out of vehicles, but found that the reward didn't outweigh the cost. I see no reason to think that CM were blowing a smoke screen on this issue. Their photoshopped promos and all that other target render crap is bullshit, but they didn't claim that it was ingame stuff.

I see no reason to think that CM were blowing a smoke screen on this issue.

- at 3:07

No but they mislead with the (subjective) quotes "I believe the target renders are pretty close to the final scene" -Sion Lenton

Sounds great, but the renders had 10's of troops, snipers off in the distance, opposing forces coming from the other extreme of range (come to think of it, the scale of some of the CGI is close), smooth animations.

Edit: You know, the tragic thing is that all the airpower, tanks, and ranged weapons will make the available sq/km of the zone feel like a sardine can with camera observation posts mounted inside it. Where can you sneak off to, to flank? To ambush? To do anything other than direct attack? Unless a hill is directly in the middle of the playing area, the threat vector is known. Evac? If it's even possible, seems faster to run to base/edge of the zone than to wait for a helo... Forgot. can't even do that alone. 275m tether...............

@PeepsGetAngry - Thank you for that clip, truthful, very well written, and sincere.

Edited by Scrub