FP : DR - News & Discussion

Will you be buy Dragon Rising?  

318 members have voted

1. 1. Will you be buy Dragon Rising?

• Yes, I definitely will buy it.
    • No, I definitely won't buy it.
    • I will decide based on the demo.
    • I will decide based on reviews.

Political and strategic discussions aside it seems the scenario for the game is set out much better for a war between the Russians and the Chinese, and in my opinion that would have just made a more interesting game. Seems like the USMC is just being shoehorned in.

Just imagine if this was the FIRST video or information we had about OFPDR. we would think, "cool the Russians and Chinese duking it out" (cant think of a game that features only those two factions fighting). then suddenly, there is the USMC.

huh?

But granted, who is really going to care much about the story, once bullets start flying?

its just an excuse to have the two big boys beat each other up.

I also did not like that style for an informational trailer. just trying to hard to look cool and too in your face to take seriously.

I don't understand all the fuss about the story. It's just a possible (or not possible in RL, doesn't really matter anyway) future scenario based on a sort of alternate history. A milsim isn't necessarily about good story, all the better if it is, but if that's not the case I could care less - it all depends on how the game portrays the environment, interaction and weapons.

Grim

I don't understand all the fuss about the story. It's just a possible (or not possible in RL, doesn't really matter anyway) future scenario based on a sort of alternate history. A milsim isn't necessarily about good story, all the better if it is, but if that's not the case I could care less - it all depends on how the game portrays the environment, interaction and weapons.

Grim

I highly Agree.... THIS IS FICTION!

I mean.. Lets look at a pretty little game called oooh let me see, World in conflict - based on real events but exaggerated to create a rather good game.

Crimson skies, Yanks Vs Brits - Pure fiction, Brilliant game.

OFPDR Yanks Vs China - Fiction, Lets see what happens.

we have had 4 pages of this nonsense when OFP's campaign was essentially Bull anyway. They took a real life event, THe cold war and escalated it into a conflict.

SO therefore I am going to accept OFPDR's storyline because it is Fiction and will be fun. at least its better then Arma's non-existant storyline.

And dont forget the American forces and Chinese forces have clashed before, so I dont see why it couldnt happen again.

But anyway.. just accept that its fiction and get on with more relevant discussions.

I don't think anyone's saying the story is the be all and end all of the game, indeed OFP's storyline was nowhere near "realistic" in many respects. But all the fears people have for the game do add up.

My problem with this storyline is that CM stays realistic until this century and then goes completly crazy. They should have moved the story 10 years into the future, but in this version there is no room for those rapid changes.

I'd say a valid story or scenario is important if you want to make this game a sandbox that people will enjoy making missions and mods for. You'd basicly have to mod in an entire faction to make missions for the people that want to play in conflicts that does exist and seem plausible.

Making missions with chinese vs us on an empty island is likedly to get boring quickly.

In ofp cwc the islands were kinda like skira, but with a few more elements and it was used by mission makers to create scenarios of a possible war in europe or smaller conflicts with the resistance units as smaller factions.

Lets see what creative options the current setup will give us.

I'd say a valid story or scenario is important if you want to make this game a sandbox that people will enjoy making missions and mods for. You'd basicly have to mod in an entire faction to make missions for the people that want to play in conflicts that does exist and seem plausible.

Making missions with chinese vs us on an empty island is likedly to get boring quickly.

In ofp cwc the islands were kinda like skira, but with a few more elements and it was used by mission makers to create scenarios of a possible war in europe or smaller conflicts with the resistance units as smaller factions.

Lets see what creative options the current setup will give us.

From what we have heard, there's not going to be much modding options beyond the map editor... So the sandbox nature is going to be limited it seems...

I think Russia Vs China is BS on its own. Whats next US vs Aus?
Actuallly it's a natural choice of opponents (as far as actual military conflicts between super powers can be considered a likely possibility for the near future). There's quite some potential for border conflicts between those two nations (natural resources and Chinas need to fuel it's future development). Actually much more likely than any conflict between Russian and US forces.

Russia vs China would be a very plausible scenario. Problem comes with marketing a game where you don't play as the Americans or Brits to a mainstream audience.

(Yes, I can also think of a number of successful games which didn't have the US or the UK, but the overwhelming majority of succesful generic FPSes have them, people are just biased towards them)

Edited by echo1

From a purely game play perspective a Russia vrs China conflict would make for a good game.

If the US is left out then suddenly, you have two "public-enemy-number-ones" fighting. so for the average gamer, who do you decide to support? they are both usually considered the "bad guys"

The solution? The devs actually have to make the player sympathize with each side with interesting characters, background and development. They cant really make a one sided black and white scenario. Now, if the Americans are in game, then they are automatically promoted to the good guys, and the OPFOR are unambiguously bad, twisted jerks.

like i said earlier, adding in the Americans just seemed like a lazy cash in.

The storyline details the collapse of government in China, making an outside conflict(perhaps with Russia) more probable. And the collapse of Chinese government isn't improbable itself after my understanding.

Its a huge country with many local minorities tied together.

Promise never to apply for a job at the State Department!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sino-Soviet_border_conflict

Promise to step back into the present ASAP! I'll use your median of information :j: .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shanghai_Cooperation_Organisation.

On another note look further into your 'info' other than "Sino-Soviet Conflict".

Edited by SAbre4809

Treaties and alliances are valid until one of the member of such things does not see any benefit to it. This had happened countless time in history.

Remember the Molotov/Ribbentrop pact ? ;)

Treaties and alliances are valid until one of the member of such things does not see any benefit to it. This had happened countless time in history.

Remember the Molotov/Ribbentrop pact ? ;)

Yup, but some ppl seem to think otherwise!

The Federal Republic of Germany joined the NATO just 11 years after WW II.

Edited by White_Hat

That's why the PLA is looking to buy foreign hardware so they can buy a single "test" vehicle, turn down the offer and then come up with their very "own" (99% copy of the original) weapons system a year later (*cough* SU-27 *cough*). The PLA is more of a paper dragon than a real one at present. The real power of the PRC has so far been in it's economic power, not (yet) in it's military power. The PRC is not yet capable of sustaining a fight with a superpower outside of it's borders, primarily due to the lack of naval strength (needs carriers and transports, both of which they do not have yet), and because they have not converted to being an expeditionary force (mainly with defense in mind). Even if they have numbers on their side, the RF armed forces still have the upper hand technologically, or the Chinese wouldn't be trying to get their hands on Russian technology. It's like saying India has one of the best armies in the world just because they have numbers (they buy 2nd hand stuff, just like the PLA is copying existing hardware, not developing cutting edge technology of their own, Chinese products are known for being copies of other people's designs without any ground-breaking innovations).

The PLA was successful in Korea because technology back then was pretty much still stuck in the WW2 era on both sides (little use of innovative technology on either side, which makes numbers weigh in a lot more than in a fight between a technologically superiour force and an army attacking in human waves)

If having greater numbers was really that decisive on the battlefield, all of NATO and especially the US would have opted for more conscripts in the field rather than fewer, but far better trained and equipped professional soldiers as they have been doing since the 1970s.

lack of knowledge alarm:

India not just buys second hand stuff but also

first hand stuff (US and Russia exports)

like T-90

got own UAVs and IBMD program (balistic missiles defense)

crucial units using quality Israel Tavor TAR-21 rifles

and co-develops crucial programs with Russians (supersonic and hypersonic cruising missiles (anti ship primary)) and so on ...

supersonic of last generation are already in service and hypersonic prototypes are probably already in last phase of ground testing

* hint these are one of only real threats to US Carrier Battle groups due to swarm pack mode and scramle <15s detect to hit window

reasons are simple previous experience with India-Chine conflict and Pakistan tensions (dispute over Kashmir) ...

not to mention India is superpower by all means (population, industry, army size, borders lenght, all type military including naval and nuclear)

India security grid includes Bhutan, Takistan and probably Maldives ...

understimating India as military power would be tactical mistake :D

Edited by Dwarden

lack of knowledge alarm:

India not just buys second hand stuff but also

first hand stuff (US and Russia exports)

like T-90

got own UAVs and IBMD program (balistic missiles defense)

crucial units using quality Israel Tavor TAR-21 rifles

and co-develops crucial programs with Russians (supersonic and hypersonic cruising missiles (anti ship primary)) and so on ...

supersonic of last generation are already in service and hypersonic prototypes are probably already in last phase of ground testing

* hint these are one of only real threats to US Carrier Battle groups due to swarm pack mode and scramle <15s detect to hit window

reasons are simple previous experience with India-Chine conflict and Pakistan tensions (dispute over Kashmir) ...

not to mention India is superpower by all means (population, industry, army size, borders lenght, all type military including naval and nuclear)

India security grid includes Bhutan, Takistan and probably Maldives ...

understimating India as military power would be tactical mistake :D

Well, since those they made themself are infact quite after market(A.K.A quite rubbish), there is no question about buying stuff that are much better then their own, but as of the quality of the men, is another story:rolleyes:(and no, i am not underestimating them, but things have changed a lot for the pass 10 years)

Edited by 4 IN 1

I remember the terror attacks at the Taj Mahal hotel, the Indian police had vintage ww2 grenades and rifles to fight the terrorists with. (before the military arrived to assist)

27mumbai2.600.jpg

But being a powerful state in explosive growth, and prepared for a war against Pakistan(a state broken away from India), they must have a lot of proper battle gear in the Army.

Anyway, we probably shouldnt be discussing politics here. It is after all just a silly storyline, an excuse for two digital parties to shoot at each other.

Edited by sparks50

*Kick's thread's arse back ontopic*

Soooo. Is the current state as such?

-The demo (info) is dead and buried.

-The multiplayer videos are not very specific as to what type of game is being played.

-And no free styling editor -PC version- matches have been shown as of yet.

Besides these sort of facts, no real news breaking? (besides the major age of the player base seem to be 15-20).