FP : DR - News & Discussion

Will you be buy Dragon Rising?  

318 members have voted

1. 1. Will you be buy Dragon Rising?

• Yes, I definitely will buy it.
    • No, I definitely won't buy it.
    • I will decide based on the demo.
    • I will decide based on reviews.

It was always very unlikely to compare well to ArmA (for this audience at least) but that's good. The last thing I want is to be torn between two ArmA's, what's far more useful in my book is a good-looking & smooth-running shooter that's approachable and yet retains strong milsim elements, a hardcore COD4/BF2 if you like. This is something I can play with friends who don't have the patience for ArmA and I'm looking forward to that.

First sentence of the second page:

"My overall feeling is, no matter how much the developers try to hide it under the 'hardcode' coat, they are preparing nothing more but Call of Duty with a bit more freedom and maybe - in the whole run a bit more difficulty."

:banghead::banghead::banghead:

Edited by Deadfast

Too bad that the OFP name has to suffer. They've taken away almost everything that made OFP... well, OFP. Can't believe they'd think it a good thing to not have the ability to create new models or addons for the PC version at least.

Oh well, that means BIS will still retain the milsim developer crown.

:yay:

Have you seen the new Sounds of war video? They boast about how they recorded the sounds of real weapons yet they sound really weird ingame IMHO.

The more stuff comes out about this game the less impressed I become.

Pros:

-Realoading animations

-FLIR (I know, I know it will be implemented in ArmA but 2010 is far far away)

-Realistic Javelin CLU sight

-Radio chatter sounds natural

-It's just speculation but I think it will be less buggy and the single player gameplay will be more consistent than in ArmA2

Cons:

-Choppy running/sidestep animations.

-No healing animations

-The enviroment looks boring and lifeless(no animals and civilians).

-I've yet to see a city or a village, so far I've only seen farms with a few buildings and an airport.

-The lighting is crap and gives everything this unrealistic nextgen greybrownyellow shade.

-No freelook

-No walking

-Little to no bullet drop

I think this game is going to a be a middle ground between arcade and simulator games, like GRID was a middle ground between NFS and GTR2.

Highlights from the Czech preview from GamesCom posted by ohara:

• The objecting of the mission reviewer played was to "destroy tanks before a friendly convoy arrives there". He finds it stupid that the convoy just doesn't wait for them to be dead before it even tries to move on.
  • He praised the squad AI.
  • He attempted to get himself killed by running out in the open but failed. He got hit twice, but all he had to do was to "take out bandages and hold left mouse button for 5 seconds". PR told him his movement and aiming will be effected but he has not noticed anything.
  • He finally died when he ran 5 meters in front of an enemy.
  • According to him friendlies have same problem with killing the enemy and he has the feeling that even though this is a fight between two sides only him and his 3-men squad can change its outcome.
  • The squad commanding is not complex, most of the situations can be solved by "shouting "Go, go, go!".
  • The artillery looks very good and is effective, however the reviewer was not fond of its use in the mission - the PR called it in 100 meters in front of the friendly convoy.
  • He thinks that "no matter how much the developers try to hide it under the 'hardcode' coat, they are preparing nothing more but Call of Duty with a bit more freedom and maybe - in the whole run a bit more difficulty".
  • He says the game isn't bad, he was having fun.
  • The game is not as open as they claimed it to be - you can choose where to attack from (usually 2 good spots) and that's it.
  • There will be simple editor in the PC version allowing you to make missions or campaigns.
  • The answer to reviewer's question whether you can add new units or islands was NO, however you will be able to buy DLC to "enhance your game".
  • Reviewer said the environment feels dead, like a "freshly disinfected dentist's office".
  • He wasn't amazed by the visual quality, the terrain was a letdown (there were visible texture transmissions at places)
  • He praised the gun sounds
  • He thinks the game is on a best way for good sales, however it is not a simulation.
  • He thinks the advertisement was aimed at hardcore players but the game itself is for Medal of Honor players.

PS, :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

Edited by Deadfast
Fixed tag

-It's just speculation but I think it will be less buggy and the single player gameplay will be more consistent than in ArmA2

I don't see any reason why the SP gameplay should be more consistent than ArmA2...

@deadfast : thanks a lot for the translation, as usual :)

Reviewer say on doupe forum, that when your mates are killed, same persons are automatically resurected in next mission, but there was nothing like some story in first three missions that he play.

That doupe review was the last bit, I'm not going to touch that game, not even with a 4 meter pole.

It doesn't even deserve to use the name Operation Flashpoint, more like Operation Shitstorm :icon13:

It's nothing more than a really really screwed up copy of Call of Duty 4*.

*Not trying to bash CoD4 here, personally I think it's one of the best FPS for the last few years.

Edited by Cole

And first czech preview, not possible to create addons or your own models

this is sure now, i won't buy it. to create addons is one of my pleasure. i can't believe that they removed also this feature. :(

[quote name='Deadfast;1421489

[*]The answer to reviewer's question whether you can add new units or islands was NO' date=' however you will be able to buy DLC to "enhance your game".

Woah, they really screwed it up this time...

Edited by echo1

Ya know, if Clive knew this was coming and left CM because he decided to stick to his principles, I take back every bad thing I said about the man. If that's what happened, he actually has a healthy amount of my respect. This is frikkin' bait and switch, 'cut your losses and make it up with marketing and hype'. :aa::thud:

Thank you BIS for setting the bar high, and not cavailing when times got tough. I'm enjoying the hell out of it. And it's kind of like watching my kids grow up. I eagerly await OA.

I always knew it would be crap the only thing that gets me mad is that there naming it operation flashpoint it should of just been called dragon rising.

Sadly from what I have been reading on both here and on the OFPDR forums it looks like this game is going downhill fast. I was hoping it would at least compete with ARMA2 in some respects but it appears that it isn't even going to come close. Granted it might have fewer bugs than ARMA2 when it releases but the more I hear about it the more watered down it sounds.

I'll have to wait and save my money for Arrowhead as it sounds like a performance enhanced content stuffed version of ARMA2 that I would be very excited about...If BIS would just lay off making the lame campaigns that don't work and work on more important aspects of the game. Not pre-ordering either one, but I now have higher hopes for Arrowhead.

Hmm fits pretty much into what the gameplay vids told me.

Gfx that are so so but nothing amazing especially compared to a maxed out arma and a AI that cant hit a haybarn so only the player gets to make the most kills like in Call of Duty.

I wait for a demo but so far it seems i can save my money for Op.Arrowhead.

Walker's going to have a field day when he hears that there's no mods in OFP DR :whistle:

Walker's going to have a field day when he hears that there's no mods in OFP DR [\quote]

yeah, I hope they'll deliver a moddable game, just to prevent that ;-)

cu on the zeus server tonite walker :-)

Can someone reset the thread poll? :(

That's why I waited until now to cast my vote, because I know how Codemasters (and pretty much the rest of the industry) sells their games. By making promises they won't keep. They should put less money into their PR and advertising department, and focus more on producing games that are actually worth buying without the sugarcoating. That's what happens when a company grows too big. Instead of making good products that sell themselves, you need to invest bucket loads of money to make the products look good on paper, which in turn requires high sales figures for the next product, and so on. One generic product aimed at as many target audiences as possible after the other.

It was always very unlikely to compare well to ArmA (for this audience at least) but that's good. The last thing I want is to be torn between two ArmA's, what's far more useful in my book is a good-looking & smooth-running shooter that's approachable and yet retains strong milsim elements, a hardcore COD4/BF2 if you like. This is something I can play with friends who don't have the patience for ArmA and I'm looking forward to that.

you already got that, its called "Rainbow Six 3";)

So the OFP name have been ruin, too bad, but as long as BI wanted to do another milsim tactical shooter title using RV engine without the release nightmare of ARMA1/2, they can always call it "Independence lost"(hint! hint!) ;)

edit: on a secound thorugh of the "no addon/mission" subject, maybe they are talking about the 360 version?:confused:

Edited by 4 IN 1

• The answer to reviewer's question whether you can add new units or islands was NO, however you will be able to buy DLC to "enhance your game".

Reaction #1: LOL

Reaction #2: Why that doesn't surprise me? Somehow I expected that from CM. Why they should allow their customers to create their own content when they can sell them some via DLC.

Where is the guy who recently said BIS is milking their customers? :D

And why all the guys suddenly remain silent who claimed that DR is going to be the end of ArmA2?

Yep I think it might be a good idea to reset the poll and restart it. :)

The answer to reviewer's question whether you can add new units or islands was NO, however you will be able to buy DLC to "enhance your game".

If THAT really is the case, OFP will grow old very fast (I mean compared to Arma)...

But my first reaction also was: :D:D

If THAT really is the case, OFP will grow old very fast (I mean compared to Arma)...

But my first reaction also was: :D:D

CM game is NOT OFP and will never be !