FP : DR - News & Discussion

Will you be buy Dragon Rising?  

318 members have voted

1. 1. Will you be buy Dragon Rising?

• Yes, I definitely will buy it.
    • No, I definitely won't buy it.
    • I will decide based on the demo.
    • I will decide based on reviews.

I will give it a fair chance when it coems out.

I was once very excited for it (even had it pre-ordered), but im not nearly as exctied for it anymore since the latest screenshots/videos.

It was stated in one of the many interviews that the game will be as moddable (is that actualy a word? :D ) as the original to make sure it will live long and prosper. :)

Grim

Technically, I think the word is modifiable... but using proper language is so square. You dig?

The game certainly looks good so far with sharp graphics. The bottom line will be the game play (more sim or more COD) and how polished it is (less bugs!).

My guess, it will fill the gap between Arma and COD.

The game certainly looks good so far with sharp graphics. The bottom line will be the game play (more sim or more COD) and how polished it is (less bugs!).

My guess, it will fill the gap between Arma and COD.

I'm a little upset that there probably isn't going to be large multiplayer no-hassle battles as I had envisioned for either OFPDR or ARMA2. So far all my time spent in ARMA2 has been with the Editor because of the horrible multiplayer experience and interfacing and OFPDR is stating as having anywhere from 4-16 players for PC with a controllable squad and 4 human players in OFPDR which is quite pathetic so I canceled my preorder and will wait for demo.

We'll see, the only game that has developed an easily accessible system for large scale battles that also forces the players to work together is Project Reality Mod for Battlefield 2. That is the only game that absolutely forces cohesive play, I would love for ARMA2 and/or OFPDR to have such a system.

Not sure why it works for PR but somehow they pulled it off. It is just limited by the BF2 engine in mapsize/viewdistance among other things :(

NOTE: TRAINING SERVERS!? where are there!? PR had them and were immensely useful...okay going to multiplayer section to start a thread on that!

No it's "modifiable". Freakin' nerds trying to make up new words...

You calling Wiktionary a liar?

---------- Post added at 01:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:43 PM ----------

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mod_(computer_gaming)

A game that allows 'modding' can also be called 'moddable'

And Wikipedia?

---------- Post added at 01:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:44 PM ----------

And all of these guys?

A made up word can be put in a dictionary as long as it has been published 5 times.

Wikipedia is the hive of all nerds, I wouldn't trust it with any of my words!

Well, made up or not (which is stupid, since all words were "made up" at one point) it's used commonly, and that's good enough for me.

---------- Post added at 01:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:55 PM ----------

Wikipedia is the hive of all nerds, I wouldn't trust it with any of my words!

I thought the stereotype was that nerds are smart... anyways, like it or not I'll continue to use Wikipedia and the word "moddable", and so will others... regardless of what you think.

The stereotype is that nerds are nerdy, which is an overspecific kind of knowledge. Nerds are the little intelligent and certainly among the least intellectual people of our society. A nerd is uncapable of expressing himself, even if he's given all time in the world to phrase his thoughts in written language. A nerd has nothing of globally relevant knowledge and thinks he knows it all. A nerd is the class of least conducive element a developed society can bear. He's the kind overcivilized entity, who has lost even the last relation to reality.

A nerd makes up a wrong word in nescience and so do a thousand other nerds. Since the internet is filled with nerds, you'll find a thousand instances of the word on google. Congratulations.

You think if a word is used often enough it becomes eligible? Well then, consider "moddable" an official word of nerd-vocabulary, but not of the vocabulary of normal people.

The stereotype is that nerds are nerdy, which is an overspecific kind of knowledge. Nerds are the little intelligent and certainly among the least intellectual people of our society. A nerd is uncapable of expressing himself, even if he's given all time in the world to phrase his thoughts in written language. A nerd has nothing of globally relevant knowledge and thinks he knows it all. A nerd is the class of least conducive element a developed society can bear. He's the kind overcivilized entity, who has lost even the last relation to reality.

A nerd makes up a wrong word in nescience and so do a thousand other nerds. Since the internet is filled with nerds, you'll find a thousand instances of the word on google. Congratulations.

You think if a word is used often enough it becomes eligible? Well then, consider "moddable" an official word of nerd-vocabulary, but not of the vocabulary of normal people.

So what you're telling me is that "nerd" in that whole statement is an analogy for OFP-DR? :)

On another note, lighten up! All of 10 people are probably going to see that incessant rant on your statement on nerds using non-dictionary words.

Maybe you should get a life and apply to a graduate program in sociology and publish a paper on that abstract you just made, then people might care. Or people might just go: "Why is a nerd putting down nerds?"

Quick, give me all the synonyms for pretentious...now...go!

What the f%c* are you guys talking about.. :confused:

You 'dweebs' know that 'nerds' is a made up word? I'm not going to include it in my vocabulary.. ;)

Speaking of overspecific knowledge, ManDay, you know a little tooo much about the relevant characteristics of this socially encouraged stigma. lol.

Anything new dug up on this front? Been quiet to my general/non-specific knowledge.

Edited by Scrub

Well this might be not a totally unbiased opinion of mine but I played DR @ gamescom for around 15 minutes. And I'm not really impressed.

Yes it was running lag free and the environment doesn't look too bad. But there are a lot of low poly models I've seen which could be straight out of OFP: Wheels from a destroyed APC are anything but round, Sandbagwalls have triangular corners like the "Fence" object had in OFP.

I seen people "climbing" into a technical the same way we have it in ArmA1 = jump in and there he is e.g. no real climb in animation. The doors of the technical opened - after the guy was sitting in it already = pointless eyecandy.

The command/action interface is way too much "xbox style) for me which is using the current one for 8 years now.

Like said, it's not that bad and might get its fanbase. For people coming from BF/COD/etc it might be easier to get familiar with but IMHO DR is not the ultimate solution for all ArmA2 problems as many people will make you think.

Well this might be not a totally unbiased opinion of mine but I played DR @ gamescom for around 15 minutes. And I'm not really impressed.

Yes it was running lag free and the environment doesn't look too bad. But there are a lot of low poly models I've seen which could be straight out of OFP: Wheels from a destroyed APC are anything but round, Sandbagwalls have triangular corners like the "Fence" object had in OFP.

I seen people "climbing" into a technical the same way we have it in ArmA1 = jump in and there he is e.g. no real climb in animation. The doors of the technical opened - after the guy was sitting in it already = pointless eyecandy.

The command/action interface is way too much "xbox style) for me which is using the current one for 8 years now.

Like said, it's not that bad and might get its fanbase. For people coming from BF/COD/etc it might be easier to get familiar with but IMHO DR is not the ultimate solution for all ArmA2 problems as many people will make you think.

Haha definitely not unbiased at all...

1) No one thought it would be the ultimate solution, I have no idea where you get that idea. ARMA2 has things that OFPDR will never have and OFPDR will have certain elements that make it more fun and accessible than ARMA2 could ever be.

2) Your complaints are nitpicky at best. Whining because of low poly models and basic animations for entering vehicles? You said the game runs lage free and the environment looks good, it sounds to me you had to work pretty hard to find some nasty things to say about it. I'll take OFP animations over ARMA2 where my squad gets stuck on the tailboom of a helo or I have to spend wasteful minutes orienting my vehicle in the perfect way for the AI to be happy enough to get it....if it works but doens't look as nice, I'll take it.

3) What you can an "interface" in ARMA is like working with an old IBM mainframe computer compared to the interfaces now a days. From what I saw in videos the interface looks sleek, modern, and efficient. If you prefer clunky and outdated, that's your opinion. But the reason why ARMA2 got knocked down by EVERY reviewer (not to mention the initial slew of fustrating bugs) was the outdated interface that needs an overhaul BADLY. So by "Xboxy" you mean modern which probably means awesome to me, but I guess BIS people don't like change when it comes to the interface which is why it never changed in 8 years.

Like I said your grabbing at things to whine about and by no means did anyone I see say that OFPDR is going to be the ultimate solution..no need to be defensive. If we can afford PCs that can play ARMA2 we should have enough money to have another game or two, I dunno about your PC but mine will let me install both ARMA2 and OFDPR...shocking right!?

whine...

I don't see any whining in W0lle's post (which is more than I can say for yours). In fact it was very informative. Not very biased at all.

Apologies, whine was probably the wrong word :)

Anywho, not getting OFPDR until I try out the demo thoroughly

ARMA2 on the otherhand I preordered the first time it was available.

So I'm not putting ARMA2 down at all. It's just that the "review" seemed more like nitpicking at tiny little details when the gameplay seemed pretty sound...he just didn't want to say so. Notice there was no trashing the actual gameplay but tiny details were shot down.

I could write a book on the tiny little details in ARMA2 that annoy the hell out of all of us, but the editor and sandbox openness of it all helps to see through most of them.

But there are a lot of low poly models I've seen which could be straight out of OFP: Wheels from a destroyed APC are anything but round, Sandbagwalls have triangular corners like the "Fence" object had in OFP.

I´m surprised you didn't mention the S-Draht (Barbed wire), which appears to have the thickness of a deflated 3 inch firehose.

On the other hand, i can't run ArmA in Wallpaper quality either.

Well those things might be small (or large) annoyances to some people but more importantly I'd like to know

A. Is it fun in that tactical sim shooter sorta way?

B. Does the world feel engaging and alive or stale and repetitive?

C. How's the AI in terms of combat intelligence and pathfinding?

D. Does the AI really seem to use a playbook for strategy and is it effective?

E. How does the in-game physics feel in terms of gravity, falling?

F. How is the vehicle damage system?

Well those things might be small (or large) annoyances to some people but more importantly I'd like to know

Exactly, that would have been way more useful than noting some low-poly models and animations...why leave out those critical items??

From an Armedassault.info newsposter that played the game for a few minutes at GamesCom:

I actually played a pre-retail version of Dragon Rising at the Gamescom today. I'm gonna call it "Dragon Rising" from now on - without the "Operation Flashpoint" in the title - because the game simply doesn't deserve this seal of approval.

Trust me, you need to sit infront of the keyboard to really feel the gameplay. And there wasn't much of what could be felt.

Admittely I only played it for about five minutes but what I saw is an entirely new game which hasn't got anything in common with the predecessor except for the name.

The order menu is just shit. The shortkey-botch is just shit as well. With all the shiny boxes in the HUD, the game comes across like an arcarde version of a war game.

The graphics are really an eyecatcher and can easily challenge all the current reference games , however the landscape is not very varied.

I didn't have the opportunity to see much of the weaponry and gear, but what I used was average.

The gameplay itself is nice and smooth, however the missions are seemingly too packed with dialogues and scenes of the Call-of-Duty-kind. The AI itself is not noteably better than the one of ArmA, except for they actually follow orders.

I spotted some minor bugs, nothing to freak out about though.

Oh and the soundtrack is crap, but that is a matter of taste of course.

My conclusion: It's a nice new shooter. But it doesn't compete with the ArmA series as it's an absolutely different kind of game. And it is no worthy successor to the Operation Flashpoint all of us loved and praised.

OFP1 sold itself to me within 5 minutes, with only the very limited demo ...