FP : DR - News & Discussion

Will you be buy Dragon Rising?  

318 members have voted

1. 1. Will you be buy Dragon Rising?

• Yes, I definitely will buy it.
    • No, I definitely won't buy it.
    • I will decide based on the demo.
    • I will decide based on reviews.

Definitely OFP 2 is not a sim. Why? Because that is what says executive producer Sion Lenton:

"The original game was unapproachable, and my job is to bring that same kind of game to lots more people. That means there’s a lot to consider. We do have to consider the consoles too, so we don’t want to create something that is punitive, or with a learning curve that is too steep, but at the same time it would be crazy to devalue the franchise into the Call Of Duty run-and-gun whack-a-mole style gameplay. PC depth with console accessibility, that’s the drive for me"

“All that said, this is a game that is challenging. As a console game, it’s very tough indeed. Not a simulation as such, but it’s hardcore, and it’s an 18+ rating in the UK."

Whole interview is here:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2009/08/12/rps-interview-operation-flashpoint-dragon-rising/#more-15855

...Not a simulation as such, but it’s hardcore...

You could say that about any combat "sim" really. None of them come close to simulating combat, not even ArmA 2. But they beat running down hallways gunning down hundreds of mindless idiots ;)

Simulating combat takes much more than just making you die in less than 3 shots and modelling FLIR (this isn't a dig at OFP2, just mean in a more general sense here).

Edited by Maddmatt

You could say that about any combat "sim" really. None of them come close to simulating combat, not even ArmA 2. But they beat running down hallways gunning down hundreds of mindless idiots ;)

Simulating combat takes much more than just making you die in less than 3 shots and modelling FLIR (this isn't a dig at OFP2, just mean in a more general sense here).

Yes I know but if we take Arma as a "combat sim" just to make a reference, Ofp2 is not going to be a "combat sim". It will be more arcade, more (I hate this euphemism) "accesible" to masses.

I think this is important to know in this comunity because more people here dont like the more accesible to masses crap.

After watching the newest videos where they play a mission i learned a few things:

- AI couldnt hit a haybarn 20 meters from them as bad as they shoot, however the more casual players will like that.

- AI didnt do anythign that impressed me apart from the usual seek cover thing.

- Graphic looked nice but compared to Chernarus it looks empty and bit boring.

Soldies could get more detail they look bit simple and not so polygon rich.

- Radio seems similar to ArmA2 robotic radio in parts.

Overall i think it will find its fans, and most likely i will give it a try.

If they get the overall feeling right then the points i mentioned above wont matter much.

There is no leaning for the players on consoles and it has not yet been decided if this feature will be included for PC although the animations are there as your AI team mates and opposition can lean

Why on earth would you restrict this from the player? Unless they have some other method to compensate for the fact that soldiers keep their sh*t tight to the walls then this is your best alternative. Is there an inch-by-inch incremental side stepping motion because if not, your a$$ is going to be exposed.

Will not support multiplayer over a LAN

This is a joke, right?

Yes the mods are fast (sorry, for some reason off-topic didn't occur to me), and no there is no joking involved.

I watched all the latest vids and have to say it has some nice touches, but it also looks disappointing. As it is I don't know if I'll be buying it, but if the mods prove to be good (a la ACE etc.), I'll buy it. If it doesn't turn out well, at least I know the modders will make ARMA2 what it was meant to be. FP: DR will likely be a good game, but not one with the unremitting depth and realism of ARMA2.

I genuinely believe it's not misguided to liken the game to CoD, as it does play similarly from what I can see, bar the battle ranges. It's not a negative thing to say that CoD sold brilliantly and if DR looks like it then it's a compliment. Obviously it's negative for one such as I who wants realism and is bored of the CoD-style of game, even if certain positive elements are admittedly there. Magazines saying it's 'teh simulatorz' are incorrect, at least from what I've seen.

I await the demo.

Edited by SaBrE_UK

No MP LAN game? That's the only MP mode I'm using every here and then.

Fog is only for atmosphere?

It will likely not support Track IR to the same extent as Arma2...

Unbelievable, I wonder what else they're gonna remove from the title. :crazy_o:

Thanks CM, you can keep it. At latest now I'm no more interested.

Edited by W0lle

Unbelievable, I wonder what else they're gonna remove from the title. :crazy_o

Hopefully the bit that says "Operation Flashpoint" :wink_o:

Can't believe that they removed lan game .. I spend 8 month a year in a student residence which restrict online gaming, I'll have to tell my friends there to not buy it ...

Seriously what's going on even Starcraft2 which I awaited so long won't be playable on lan, this is madness !!

Edited by dunedain

LAN is the best, Why would they remove it. Playing Day of Defeat with your mates together while at work can't get more entertaining!

The bit about the LAN is verified here.

As for multiplayer, it sounds like this is another game like StarCraft II that will not support multiplayer over a LAN, as word is: "There will be no offline multiplayer, nor an offline co-op mode. Online you can play the co-op mode with up to four friends."

Excellent, that really did need some clarification as it's totally contrary to the info at BluesNews.

Each mission restricts the player to a given square ‘zone’ of operations outside of which there is no mission content. These zones are large enough that it’s rare to reach the edge of one unless the player is trying to do so. On the PC version people could probably make missions that encomapass the whole island if they wanted to.

So disappointing. One of the cooler things about OFP and the ArmA series was the feeling that a war was going on around you. Chopper rides in over half the map, fighting in multiple sections of the map in one mission, other random skirmishes going on in various other sectors. In ArmA II, the campaign missions are full of random enemies and friendlies all over the map that you bump into depending on where you go to approach one of many objectives in a single mission. No civilians is one thing, but not having any enemy or friendly presense outside a set square sucks. More so in the sense that it appears missions will be small and confined vs. spread out over the map.

'Didn't do the math' -Walker, Inc.

A racing game engine.. But at the same time, who knows. It may be fun. Gonna try the demo to at least give it a chance.

That 'probably' in the post above isn't very encouraging though.

For their sakes, I hope BIS isn't going to port A2 over to console anytime soon. With a capabilities carryover of the same magnitude as OFP:Elite...

A bit of competition would be nice.

Edited by Scrub

A racing game engine, yes. They even carried over the dreaded statistic flashscreens from GRID

Co-Drivers fired 5

Co-Drivers hired 6

._:

Wonder if skira has racetracks ... DLC anyone? :D

Having watched the latest videos OFP DR still feels very artificial. The terrain especially looks quite fake. Granted, the latest videos do show some kind of improvement over the horrible "red barrels blowing up" -videos.

I have watched all the 4 videos posted a few pages back (nigh spec-ops mission and beach assault) and I still have a rather negative feeling about the game.

• The weapon recoil is silly.
  • The AI certainly doesn't deserve the praise it was given from what I could see. I'd go as far as call it retarded (the APC in the last video, what the hell?). If it was dumbed down on purpose it's even worse - it doesn't shine in the hardcore mode either.
  • Movement animations look very bad. Not natural at all.
  • FLIR looks great.
  • Radio sounds good, albeit a bit slow.
  • No proper aiming for M203.
  • Chinese AT (forgot the name) has a very cool anims.
  • It seems you can only command your whole squad, not individuals.
  • The island seems rather dead (compared to ARMA 2's Chernarus that is).
  • The developer doing the commentary is full of it - the mountains he claims to be 16km away are in fact like 2.

So disappointing. One of the cooler things about OFP and the ArmA series was the feeling that a war was going on around you. Chopper rides in over half the map, fighting in multiple sections of the map in one mission, other random skirmishes going on in various other sectors. In ArmA II, the campaign missions are full of random enemies and friendlies all over the map that you bump into depending on where you go to approach one of many objectives in a single mission. No civilians is one thing, but not having any enemy or friendly presense outside a set square sucks. More so in the sense that it appears missions will be small and confined vs. spread out over the map.

Last time I heard there will be skirmishes happening elsewhere on the island, and you can see/hear their effects. Also if you do go outside this mission boundary, I heard that you will come accross random enemy patrols, Vehicle convoys and other Skirmishes, and your actions on these help determine the next mission.

I read this in a preview from a magazine a few months ago, i cant remember exactly where though :o

here is the closest thing to a source

http://outpostgamez.com/game/29/opf/operation-flashpoint-2/

Edited by Sugz

Those skirmishes are then just a way of showing the usual bf-ish "You are about to leave the warzone! Head back, or you'll get killed!" ??? It sounds that they just restrict the area of operations so that everything shines in these 5km².

Edited by Hoot

Last time I heard there will be skirmishes happening elsewhere on the island

That's what I heard too. There's a war going on over the island but the player is part of his unit. That means this unit can't be everywhere and has to fulfill their mission. The whole idea of 'well, I have to do XY but I will disobey my orders and run to the other end of the island' is kinda silly since it makes no sense at all to do in the setting of the game. Anyway if you want to do that you can and afaik you'll encounter other units engaged in battle, patrols, helis, etc. when you go for a walk.

It's the same as with the 'There's no LAN how yould they remove that - FAIL!' cries. There are still lots of rumors out there even now when the real info comes thru step by step from the devs and usually - as with LAN - it all turns out to be hot air. I doubt the island in DR will be empty...

It seems you can only command your whole squad, not individuals.

Same here, 'it seems'...I read that you can give them orders individually, say if you want to have your sniper on a hill supporting you and your men, you can do so. I don't know the source anymore since there's so much info scattered on the internet now, but I know for sure this has been mentioned.

It sounds that they just restrict the area of operations

An area of operation is by definition an restricted area because if every soldier can do what he likes and go wherever he wants to in a mission you won't achieve anything. I thought that you guys are so much after 'realism'? Why then this fear that the game is restricting the player? If you are a soldier you are restricted to follow orders, that's your job.

Grim

Edited by Grimnirsson