FP : DR - News & Discussion

Will you be buy Dragon Rising?  

318 members have voted

1. 1. Will you be buy Dragon Rising?

• Yes, I definitely will buy it.
    • No, I definitely won't buy it.
    • I will decide based on the demo.
    • I will decide based on reviews.

They would have to re-do all their artwork. Not likely.

The latest screenshots aren't very old, and release is getting close.

I can remember how loud people was crying about the firsts previews of ArmAII some weeks before release, there it was unfair to judge the game graphics and all the rest before release. But if the game is OFP: DR it's ok? ;) (that's how our hardcore ArmA fans feel fairness :j:)

I can remember how loud people was crying about the firsts previews of ArmAII some weeks before release, there it was unfair to judge the game graphics and all the rest before release. But if the game is OFP: DR it's ok? ;) (that's how our hardcore ArmA fans feel fairness :j:)

Well, in all fairness, BIS actually communicate with the community on a far more regular basis than CM. I wouldn't be surprised if they listened more too. The ArmA 2 community were arguably more relaxed and asking for the game to be judged on release because they had proof that the game was more than vapourware.

For DR it is a different story. There is no indication or guarantee that the community's suggestions will be taken on board. There was no guarantee either, for ArmA 2, but it seemed far more likely to happen considering the relations the devs have with the community.

Don't tout the 'Seahawk' change or the 'camouflage' change here. For all anyone knows, CM exploited the community to make it appear as if they had listened to them.

I think you haven't understand that interview. Your first quote is from the interviewer, not the CM producer. And the rest is just related to the implementation of amBX, not the game itself. So what are you trying to tell us about DR or which of these features are in ArmA? ;)

Doesn't matter if it's the Interviewer or the Producer, who ever it is, they're wrong.

Huh? ArmA 2 didn't look much different weeks before release. Your argument makes no sense to me. How did the graphics change a few weeks before release? I never saw a change.

Fact is, re-doing all the artwork right before release is not feasible, and that's what they would need to do to match ArmA 2's level of detail.

I'm not saying that simply having lower detail graphics makes it a bad game. Just pointing out the facts, that it has a lower polygon count, lower resolution textures and less use of normal/parallax maps and similar shaders.

Edited by Maddmatt

I'm not saying that simply having lower detail graphics makes it a bad game. Just pointing out the facts, that it has a lower polygon count, lower resolution textures and less use of normal/parallax maps and similar shaders.

Well that wasn't because CM are just dumb and didn't want to make it better. Those appear to be in line with limitations that must be built in for the game to play well on consoles.

Not that it is an excuse. This kind of game has no business being built for consoles first IMO. Build for the PC, squeeze everything you can out of it, and then port it to consoles later. It is what it is though. Hopefully it's still fun.

Here's an Interview with Darren Campion who is a producer.

http://ambx.cgml2.com/ambxlz//lz.aspx?p1=052855S81&p=1&cID=0&cValue=1

So, wait a second. They don't implement TrackIR (or even the damned ALT key from OFP) and cancel freelook and floating zone and who knows what else but have time to implemet ambX? :eek:

Could I be right with the presumption that the user base of the later is significantly smaller? Hell, they could have used that Natal thing and bring head tracking to consoles...

Sorry for the rant, but I don't like the system. Who want's a 5000(!) rpm fan next to him for some breeze while everyone tries to get his PC to be more silent?

So, wait a second. They don't implement TrackIR (or even the damned ALT key from OFP) and cancel freelook and floating zone and who knows what else but have time to implemet ambX? :eek:

Could I be right with the presumption that the user base of the later is significantly smaller? Hell, they could have used that Natal thing and bring head tracking to consoles...

Sorry for the rant, but I don't like the system. Who want's a 5000(!) rpm fan next to him for some breeze while everyone tries to get his PC to be more silent?

I Actually agree with you there, I was at an Exhibition last year where I sat in a seat with all these amBX gizmos in place, playing Call of duty, and the guy was saying stuff like

"So you are more immersed yes?"

"See how much better the playing experience is with all this in place?"

I couldnt say no, but honestly, whats the bloody point, what percentage of the prospected user base is going to have the equipment, and tbh, who really cares (or wants) a fan blowing in their face. especially when the majority of their user base will most probably be staring at the 19 inch screen, sitting upright on a computer chair.

Edited by Sugz

Not that it is an excuse. This kind of game has no business being built for consoles first IMO. Build for the PC, squeeze everything you can out of it, and then port it to consoles later. It is what it is though. Hopefully it's still fun.

That would put it in direct competition with ArmA 2, and that wouldn't be good for either of them.

As it is, both games are going for a slightly different target audience.

Are 209 pages to much for the software to take, I'm somewhat getting the feeling... ?

Edit: Okay, nevermind...

Are 209 pages to much for the software to take, I'm somewhat getting the feeling... ?

No, its the stupid "bump the thread every time someone votes in the poll" thing

Ah, and I kept looking who posted more gibberish.

Ah, and I kept looking who posted more gibberish.

Yeah i think ive read maddmatt's post at least 5 times now. :p

Yeah i think ive read maddmatt's post at least 5 times now. :p

Exactly :p That's why I was wondering. Couldn't pinpoint it, though.

That ambx shit is about the gayest thing I've seen. Fans and coloured lights?

Couldnt have said it better myself, the time taken to support this "useful" hardware edition, they should have concentrated on elsewhere...

The new Operation Flashpoint looks pretty bad imo.

I had some hope for awhile, but the latest videos and previews make it look way to arcadey for an Operation Flashpoint game.

Ill just stick with my ARMA2 thank you (:

I will give Operation Flashpoint2 a chance when the demo coems out, but im not expecting anything very good after the dissapointing videos/screenshots/previews of late. *no leaning and no editor? geeeez*

Edited by kozzy420

Didnt read the full thread but wasnt the special edition with the old eastern block steel helmet and free dog tags mentioned before?

Better than the rusty Ammo Box the german version of ArmA1 SE came in i guess :p

They might seem gay now, but in a few years when they become the coolest thing ever and everyone's get em, you'll be the lame guy who doesn't... :rolleyes:

*Humms a Bob Dylan Song*

And the first one now will later be last... the times are changing...

Now get your AmbX everyone :p

No seriously, dont see a need for it but a ambilight system alone in a pc screen, yeah i woudlnt say no to that.

Who has seen the latest versiosn working on a TV set will know how neat it can be.

Brand new footage in three days.

Hi all, got some very exciting news for you!

I’m very pleased to be able to say that the Hardcore video has now been finished and we will be releasing it next Monday (August 10th).

I’ll post the link to the video as soon as I get it uploaded, but to give you an idea of what it’s in store, check out this small teaser that I’ve just uploaded to Youtube.

As you might be able to tell by the dev voiceover, the Hardcore video marks the first in a series of developer videos which are going to take you behind the scenes of the development of Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising, plus also showing off extensive gameplay footage.

You’ve waited a while for these but I’m sure you’re going to love them!

Helios

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPTR5gmn9FM&hl=fr&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPTR5gmn9FM&hl=fr&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Seems they're putting quite some effort into the sound department.

4 men team purely for the sound development (at least field recording) and one military consultant. Something BIS can only dream of i think. Hope i pays off...

Including an apparent "white supremacist" to help them record the gun sounds......

3610342721_8ccd8a36f7.jpg

;)

Edited by Placebo