FP : DR - News & Discussion

Will you be buy Dragon Rising?  

318 members have voted

1. 1. Will you be buy Dragon Rising?

• Yes, I definitely will buy it.
    • No, I definitely won't buy it.
    • I will decide based on the demo.
    • I will decide based on reviews.

I predicted this months ago in the opflash forums , nobody believed me.

The community manager in that place is a douche , and gives out little to no info because if the info is released then its BAD PR because its mostly bad news.

why do you think there is no info about multiplayer?

same reason nobody knows anything about wolfensteins multiplayer....

It sucks...

---------- Post added at 04:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:07 AM ----------

My opinion is proven, I rest my case, OFP2 is not going to be better than ArmA 2 in anyway by the sounds of it.

no , it will have some advantages , like some special effects and sound design

but that hardly matters now does it?

Can you varify with a source? I'd like to see the site - I mean, they sound awefully down about the whole thing ...

Edit:

like some special effects and sound design

The second of which has already been added to ArmA2 and the first will be in due time, via mods :cool:

Edited by LJF

I don't think anybody 'wins' by OFP2 being a 'flop' -- our favorite genre and it's Audience has way too much undeserved stigma, and BI has to constantly contend with the perception of 'niche game & developer' which is ridiculous.

The only reason serious tactical realism has a 'niche geek stigma' is because the genre is so challenging to develop for, so few try, and many of the few that do fail -- then there's the fact that any Developer's work gets put under a million microscopes by a starved genre Fans -- rabid for 'more'.

It's almost as if some want to see OFP2 fail, which really doesn't do the reputation for the Audience for this kind of game any good. I do concede that OFP2 does not look very promising -- but I'd love to be wrong.

:butbut:

Edited by Hoak

I hope its a great game, the more the better!

Hopefully the "red lines" indicating the enemy position can be enabled/disabled and hopefully only for console!

Yapa

The only reason serious tactical realism has a 'niche geek stigma' is because the genre is so challenging to develop for, so few try, and many of the few that do fail -- then there's the fact that any Developer's work gets put under a million microscopes by a starved genre Fans -- rabid for 'more'.

We're in an age of gaming where mediocrity is celebrated. He with the biggest marketing wins. I applaud any gaming community that's willing to put a development team's work under heavy scrutiny.

CM should indeed be blasted for what they're doing. They're making Codderfield: Modern Company - only they're calling it a sequel to Operation Flashpoint.

Quite true, we need all the realistic games we can get, the reason [i think] people want OFP2 to fail is that they are creating "Codderfield: Modern Company" and yet are calling it "realistic" and "hardcore" and the "successor" to Operation Flashpoint (and being fans of it we are naturally pissed that they stole the name from the rightful owners - BI), so I think some want it to fail because we feel cheated, wronged or patronised by CM and "Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising".

If you were a Dodge Viper owner (or fan even) and they suddenly decided they wanted to make it into a station wagon and were calling it a "hardcore professional racing car" - you'd be pretty damned pissed, especially if another company took the name and made a station wagon and called it the true successor to the Viper.

Having said that, I would really like it if OFP was a good game, but like was said, from the looks of it, it looks like being more of a "Codderfield: Modern Company".

I'm going to play OFP2 for one reason, only because I can't think of a single PC FPS that I haven't played (independent games and games reviewed with less than 60% not withstanding)

I'll play it and treat it as a new fps without comparison to any other. Same thing I did with Arma 2, well, technically I had to compare Arma 2 to Arma and OFP, but I'm basically just ignoring the title of Flashpoint 2 and thinking of it as a brand new game with no links to anything else.

And as such, it'll most likely become like every other FPS which means I jump on it for a couple of hours 1-2 days per week then spend the rest of my play time on Arma1/2 (that and the hundred other games I'm playing right now)

So in conclusion.... My name is Bulldogs, and I'm a gaming addict.

I don't think anybody 'wins' by OFP2 being a 'flop' -- our favorite genre and it's Audience has way too much undeserved stigma, and BI has to constantly contend with the perception of 'niche game & developer' which is ridiculous.

It's almost as if some want to see OFP2 fail, which really doesn't do the reputation for the Audience for this kind of game any good. I do concede that OFP2 does not look very promising -- but I'd love to be wrong.

:butbut:

I agree. Moreover, if codemasters fails at this in spite of their previous sim game successes, it's going to discourage future companies from trying their hand at the genre. There is a growing history of these ambitious projects running into massive development problems. Soldner, STALKER (the finished product is quite unlike the original game concept, and it was overdue for years), ArmA, ArmA 2, now (allegedly) DR. Personally, I like the incredibly ambitious, mold breaking kind of risky games. I'm willing to overlook many bugs if there are patching plans and enough functional content to keep me going for a while. My friends and I have been having a hoot at the warefare CTI game, and we tried the coop campaign and it was also a riot but there's only so far you can progress due to increasing bugs. We are eagerly awaiting the next patch, and we've been having more fun with this broken massively complex game than we've had with even the greatest flavour-of-the-week shooter.

Agreed with the poster above.

Anyway, last time I checked , the arty system in arma 2 is nothing special. Im still hopeful that it will be a good game, even though my expectations have only slid down since I saw the trailer for it in 07.

ACE2 is all I can say.

Yeah Soldner had alot going for it, but failed in the end due to development constraints. Like Bulldogs said I will buy the game regardless because this is the type of game I get into the most and play them all.

My heart still holds it's spot for some old-school OFP :)

There is a growing history of these ambitious projects running into massive development problems. Soldner, STALKER (the finished product is quite unlike the original game concept, and it was overdue for years), ArmA, ArmA 2, now (allegedly) DR.

You forgot Cryostasis.

From comparing OFP2 screenshots with ArmA 2 in-game I think ArmA 2 looks way better. What is the draw distance like though, the screenshots make it look pretty small.

wtf you talking about kid?

If the guy has played the game, and says it looks graphically better, its does lol.

wtf you talking about kid?

If the guy has played the game, and says it looks graphically better, its does lol.

Have you seen the screenshots or do you suffer from some eye disease?

ArmA 2 clearly has much higher detail models and textures. And a much better choice of colour, but that's IMO.

Have you seen the screenshots or do you suffer from some eye disease?

ArmA 2 clearly has much higher detail models and textures. And a much better choice of colour, but that's IMO.

Have you seen the release version of DR or are you comparing WIP (DR) vs. released (ArmAII)? ;)

I'm not holding anything against OFP2; but I'm also not holding my breath thinking it's going to trump Arma2. I'll probably buy it if I like the demo or it gets good reviews, but I'm pretty sure it's not going to magically replace my Arma fix

I don't care if it looks prettier...hell, far cry 2 looks waaayy better than Arma but the gameplay is totally different, which I'm sure OFP2 will be also

I recently had the benefit to play OFP 2 and Comic Con (the world's largest convention). I was able to play the game as part of a preview. Here is my quick overview and my comparison with it to ArmA.

Firstly, I want to right off the bat say it feels A LOT less real then ArmA.

First off, at the top of your HUD you have a compass that has red lines where the enemies are (similar to ArmA's radar in a plane, but as infantry!). The controls felt and played like CoD 4. In fact it felt almost identical to CoD 4, except for the fact that your gun shows one bullet at a time. There is hardly any recoil from what I played (I tested this by simply aiming and firing at the same spot), I never went over and inch of where I was aiming. Additionally, the AI is not noticeably better or worse (at least I couldn't tell the difference). There was one instance where I saw an enemy tank about 50 feet away from me. It shot right over my head with it's coaxial, and I managed to avoid it entirely by going prone next to an unoccupied jeep maybe 30 feet away from it, at which point it ceased fire altogether. There were also many instances where the enemy AI just froze in cover, but I am sure that is just a bug that will be fixed.

Graphically speaking, OFP 2 is better, but not considerably. The game just seems to be glossier.

The UI to call in support seemed really dumbed down. I just pressed 2 buttons to call in artillery (I was somewhat disapointed that I had no choices except a generic artillery).

Overall, I think OFP 2 was made to compete with CoD and not with ArmA.

Also be aware that OFP 2 is still in development, and the game I played was still a work in progress. Additionally, I played the game on the Xbox 360 (the only version that was available to test).

Please ask questions about the game and I will do my best to answer them.

it seems like u are not too much in the loop of DR to know a lot about it, from what i read. not judging u as a person, of course :) the HUD can be turned off completely in the game.

my questions are about the gameplay -

i know it will probably feel a lot more like FC2 than ARMA2 but this might be a good thing in certain places. regardless:

1) how was the movement of the character? was it too fast? did it feel like u were floating?

2) did the weapons bob up and down while u were walking AND AIMING at the same time or was it like the weapons stayed glued to the center of the screen?

3) how was the draw distance of the grass and objects? i hate it so much when in ARMA2 the game looks great as long as there is grass but it looks like crap when the ground becomes flat. is that the case in DR as well?

4) when objects come into view - do they POP like in ARMA2 or fade in smoothly like in GTAIV?

5) how's the AI? i mean INFANTRY AI. u said it's kinda like ARMA2 but its very easy to see the faults of ARMA2's AI - they react slow, when u fire at them sometimes they just keep running like headless chickens instead of firing at u, they dont use cover when they engage. only when moving around...

has the AI in DR used cover? did they seem to suppress the player?

6) was using the AI teammates easy in DR? could u order them around and get results? affective results?

i really wish u can actually give answers out of your experience (crossing fingers....)

disclaimer: i really dont care if DR is more realistic than ARMA or not since realism doesnt make a game good or bad. if it's a good game than it's a good game. i already have arma2. i dont another super-ultra-mega-uber realistic game. i got one. i need another game that does well what ARMA2 doesnt do well. i really couldnt care any less if arty interface was simplistic cuz it's affects on gameplay are tremendously small and if ppl put off a game cuz of that they are just fanboys how are obviously not objective and do not have an objective and relevant opinion.

My only problem is the consistent misuse of the number two, when people insists on calling Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising for OFP2. Portraying FP:DR as being in any way, shape or form associated with OFP is misleading.

Hi all

Is Codemasters going bankrupt?

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/03/18/codemaster-coo-jumps-ship/

EA lost a cool Billion this year but is big enough to survive but what about smaller companies like THQ and Codemasters?

Several Codemasters big games are reported to have bombed ie sold below 200,000 copies. With the massive investment in DR is it the millstone round Codemasters neck?

Kind regards walker

Here is my quick overview and my comparison with it to ArmA.

Firstly, I want to right off the bat say it feels A LOT less real then ArmA.

Overall, I think OFP 2 was made to compete with CoD and not with ArmA.

Do mean mean ARMA or ARMA2?! Cos ARMA2 blows ARMA out of the water.

So which are you comparing with?

Here's an Interview with Darren Campion who is a producer.

http://ambx.cgml2.com/ambxlz//lz.aspx?p1=052855S81&p=1&cID=0&cValue=1

while an extensive multiplayer component creates battles on an incredible scale

Ever heard of Battlefield 2 and ArmA 2 mate?

Don't think 16 players is an incredible scale, BF2 - 64 players, ArmA - 128 players.

We are aiming to make a realistic war game, and being able to be immersed in the ambience around you is key when you are in a war zone situation. The integration of the amBX technology into OFP: Dragon Rising now enhances the existing senses and feedback, throwing the player further into the environment. For example with amBX lighting the player will have a far more realistic sense of the time of day, enhancing the mood and giving them orientation from the sun direction. Using the fans the player will also be able to feel the varying wind speeds, depending on their location and altitude.

And you think the OFPDR Community will take that for advantage? Most likely not, we're talking about mainstream players mate who just want to kill people.

Have you ever stood under the rotors of a helicopter which are throttled at just under maximum take off? With amBX the air of caution is greatly enhanced with the added realism from the 5000rpm desktop fan system. This will also be affected relative to the player’s position, letting them know where the helicopter is, even if it is out of sight.

Yep, that's been in OFP1 from the start. You could hear Helicopters behind hills perfectly in OFP.

Not an impressive interview from my perspective, we've already had those features, or something similar in ArmA 1 and 2.

ya i think i can wait till arma comes to the box cuz its got everything ofp2 doesn't.

not going to buy ofp2 cuz there is absolutely no editor and no dlc for the editor so its a no for me

And you think the OFPDR Community will take that for advantage? Most likely not, we're talking about mainstream players mate who just want to kill people.

And you are to tell me what i want? :rolleyes:

Here's an Interview with Darren Campion who is a producer.

http://ambx.cgml2.com/ambxlz//lz.aspx?p1=052855S81&p=1&cID=0&cValue=1

Ever heard of Battlefield 2 and ArmA 2 mate?

Don't think 16 players is an incredible scale, BF2 - 64 players, ArmA - 128 players.

Yep, that's been in OFP1 from the start. You could hear Helicopters behind hills perfectly in OFP.

Not an impressive interview from my perspective, we've already had those features, or something similar in ArmA 1 and 2.

I think you haven't understand that interview. Your first quote is from the interviewer, not the CM producer. And the rest is just related to the implementation of amBX, not the game itself. So what are you trying to tell us about DR or which of these features are in ArmA? ;)

Have you seen the release version of DR or are you comparing WIP (DR) vs. released (ArmAII)? ;)

They would have to re-do all their artwork. Not likely.

The latest screenshots aren't very old, and release is getting close.

Edited by Maddmatt