FP : DR - News & Discussion

Will you be buy Dragon Rising?  

318 members have voted

1. 1. Will you be buy Dragon Rising?

• Yes, I definitely will buy it.
    • No, I definitely won't buy it.
    • I will decide based on the demo.
    • I will decide based on reviews.

The blue nights and grain filter will slowly drive me to madness and eventual suicide.

It may lead to total extinction of mankind...at least...:cancan:

The video was very nice, if it is not another of their "target render".

Since the last video they have obviously improved the animations a lot, they could need more work though, but at least there is an improvement in this.

I hope the AI will be up to the task, as the video does not tell anything about this unfortunately.

The video was very nice, if it is not another of their "target render".

Yeah.

I don't think the video was a target render, looked very much in-game to me.

It didn't really build up much suspense though. At first it looks like an SF team planning to take out a convoy, then they're apparently attacking the checkpoint, then they're running away, then they seem to be hiding... all the while I was wondering what the hell is going on.

Generally I would label the video as unspectacular and unimaginative. There were a few positive things I noticed, like the breakable glass in the building, but otherwise most of it was somehow reminiscent of BF2, especially some of the animations.

I'll still probably buy the game because I expect it to be like COD4 with vehicles, which isn't a bad thing for some instant gratification MP. ;)

IGI was cool and gimmicky. Playing an SAS guy (or ex-SAS) was interesting, and the flight simulator engine used to bullet dynamics was cool. There was some unintentional hillarity, though. When you went to crawl prone, your weapon would stick out on front of you like you were holding in normally, giving the impression that the character was lying on his stomache on a skateboard and wheeling around.

IGI 2 was terrible.

I thought the video looked ok. Didn't really notice the grain until I looked for it. It would be nice if we could disable it.

Thought it was a little too bright for nighttime. The color of night didn't bother me, but it seemed slightly too bright.

Other than that, I thought it looked fine. Grass seemed dense enough, and character and vehicle models seemed adequate. No complaints about the view distance.

As for the storyline, I thought that the team was assaulting the checkpoint and had to wait until the convoy passed so as to not be outnumbered and outgunned. They were spotted by a PLA soldier and the mission was compromised, forcing them to pull back, where they were surrounded and presumably captured. Seemed plausible enough. Though, honestly, who really cares all that much? It's a trailer. It showcased the terrain, some character models, and some vehicle models, like a trailer should. Some of you criticize I think just because it isn't BIS. I would like to hear specific complaints/criticisms about the game itself (like the complaints about the grain and color), not just "it suxors!" and not just about the storyline of the trailer. Some of you are really observant, and catch things I never would (like the color of night).

-Student Pilot

Yeah, it's supposedly a real world location off of alaska or some shizzle.

I just hope my current PC can handle it, im waiting for the next gen of nvidia cards before i upgrade.

My 8800GT 512mb should be able to play all the other games coming out in the future that i want on highest settings, but OFP2 will tear it apart.

Not necessarily, as several people have said the textures on some vehicles, the infantry and ground objects are somewhat blurry. Also most vehicles appear to have a mediumish polycount, infantry have less polygons then say Arma2 judging by the amount of visible edges and their textures are less sharp amongst others.

Now from a visual stand point this may seem bad but from a performance stand point, provided their optimization in general is good is should infact run better then Arma because of the 'lower grade' scenery, sometimes less is more.

My 8800GT 512mb should be able to play all the other games coming out in the future that i want on highest settings, but OFP2 will tear it apart.

Models and textures in OFP2 seem to be lower detail than even ArmA 1. Not to mention little use of normal mapping.

Will probably be no more demanding than ArmA 1.

Although some things like different lighting techniques, post processing (oh the horror) and possibly more demanding physics will take up more recources. So that could make it more demanding.

It's detail is nowhere near ArmA 2 though, it would be crazy if it was as demanding as that :)

Models and textures in OFP2 seem to be lower detail than even ArmA 1. Not to mention little use of normal mapping.

Will probably be no more demanding than ArmA 1.

I am under the impression that this is due to OFP2 being targeted at consoles mainly, and a port to PC to extend the customer base as far as possible. With ArmA2 it's the other way around, mainly focused on PC and perhaps with a console release later on. On the other hand, it could be that CM's focus on consoles is why we haven't heard anything from ArmA2 for XBox 360 lately (don't want to compete directly with a port against a game designed specifically for consoles).

I have pre ordered my copy from EB -OFP2 that is! release is September 09 ...we as supportive community for ARMA2, have not heard or confirmed anything about ARMA2 being released on XBOX360! i wish i knew if they are brining it out soon!

Eb are just guessing, the date may change. Im hoping for a collectors edition of OFP2 to be available, so waiting for a sign if it will be coming before i make my preorder.

That video showing ingame footage (assault to pla checkpoint) looks nice, even when there are about 10-15 units only. I think i will give a try to the demo...

We've been spotted!

Incidentally, this is known to happen when standing in front of a frickin' window.

Some of the new OFP2 screen are freaking terrible. Huge amounts of grain in a feeble attempt to cover up the flaws.

I won't be quick to judge the game by it's graphics though, I'll give the demo a shot to see what it plays like.

The aspects which is annoying me most is that everything looks the same... even in daytime!:confused:

Helios just said:

'There isn't a jump button in the game, but there is an "interact" button which allows you to do things such as vault over small obstacles, open doors etc.

As for swimming, I've been told that this is possible and if you really wanted to you'll actually be able to swim around the whole of Skira island. Bit mental perhaps, but it's nice to know you'll have the option '

This is very good news, looks like the are following the AA3 way.

People doing bunny hops and jumping around really ruins immersion in games like these, good to see.

Also, looking forward to swimming around the big island lol.

People complained about ArmA II's grass drawdistance but on

OFP II its even way lower. Apart from that, the car is looking ugly because its

edgy

The grass in the Latest video was quite decent. The running Animation felt weird though...

They improved a lot of things, let's see if they can deliver...

Would anyone here say that not having perfectly steady hands is a core feature of Operation Flashpoint? It's just that was one of the things that changed the way I saw games when I played the original.

Agree'd, I liked OFP's "body risk", rather then being the usual simple shot enough times your dead I enjoyed having to crawl and being unable to aim too well when shot in the arms.

It's a great reality smack and I trust CM will have this feature in some way, to not is an insult to the title.

"toned down the realism to make it Fair"

What kinda stupid idea and comment is this? :|

edit: