FP : DR - News & Discussion

Will you be buy Dragon Rising?  

318 members have voted

1. 1. Will you be buy Dragon Rising?

• Yes, I definitely will buy it.
    • No, I definitely won't buy it.
    • I will decide based on the demo.
    • I will decide based on reviews.

Just look at the night shot with two little birds, especially at the soldiers weapon, hope it's just a placeholder, even though i thought they should be a bit more far in the game's development imo.

I don't mean to sound like a troll, but I am still waiting for that "ultra-cool streaming terrain system allowing view distance of 35 kilometers" to show up. Because all I saw was a distance of 1-3km with low-poly terrain models, low-res terrain textures and horrible LODs. Maybe someone could give me a link for something better?

I dont care about view distance and all that. I just want a mil sim/tactical shooter that isnt riddled with bugs on release. Codemasters seem to release quality stuff so lets hope the delays to release we keep getting actually pay off.

I dont care if Arma 2 is more realistic. Im just bored of BF and cod4 etc. To me this looks like the old ghost recons which is fantastic.

I do. Otherwise it's no better than a BF clone.

And it will have bugs. IT WILL. As a game grows more complex more variables are in play and inevitably more chances for bugs.

I dont care if Arma 2 is more realistic

Changing stance are we.

Somebody please stop the grain madness! :Oo:

Why stop when people love it.

New DR video released:

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/operationflashpoint2/video/6212876/operation-flashpoint-dragon-rising-fear-and-anticipation-trailer?hd=1

Personally, there are many things I find wrong about that video.

1. What were the SF team actually doing? Was that convoy the target since he said "Eyes on" while looking at it? They didn't do anything to it.

2. Why did they shoot people who obviously would not see them if they continued in the same direction they went?

3. How did they get spotted? And when they were, why, even when the guy had clear shots, did he not shoot the PLA engaging them? The AI couldn't shoot for shit either.

4. Why was that helicopter so damn quiet? In fact, were any of those sounds ingame? Because they were all quite out of sync. May just be that uploaded version though.

DR still looks terrible for me.

I can imagine the console crowd over at DR forums drooling over that footage like mad. Ugh.

4. Why was that helicopter so damn quiet? In fact, were any of those sounds ingame? Because they were all quite out of sync. May just be that uploaded version though.

Thats what thought. Most of the sounds were I thought were good, almost too good. It seemed sync'd to me untill the sound of the helicopter seemed to come in a little late. It's a trailer and it's a trailer from CM, I personally would put money on the sounds being added afterwards. If one of the soldiers killed had Wilhelm screamed I would have been certain.

The soldiers always seem to move oddly in a crouched position, are they crouched or is this them stood up?

I've been reading people getting excited by the voices in the video, which to me almost certainly have been added post production.

The soldiers always seem to move oddly in a crouched position, are they crouched or is this them stood up?

I've been reading people getting excited by the voices in the video, which to me almost certainly have been added post production.

I'm wondering about the way soldiers move to. It looks really stupid. I wonder if CM are trying to "pay homage" to OFP by making that animation look like a sped-up version of OFP's slow-walk.

And yes, those voices are definitely added-in post production. If they really think they're ingame... I don't know what to say. :butbut:

One thing i noticed is they really didn't show any of flight characteristics of the helicopter, it just "flew" straight forward to the house and in another shot it was hovering above the village already.

The other thing i found a bit odd is that none of the modern chinese army soldiers had NVGs. You would think that everyone woud have them at a checkpoint, but that's just my nitpicking.

Those screens looked alright. I don't like the film grain, the helicopter rotor blur, or the foliage, though. The leaf clusters on the trees are way too noisy up close. They look very fake, almost like they are outlined like a line drawing.

I think the heavily overlayed grain is to make the whole scene look like it fits together better. I bet without it, the elements wouldn't fit very well.

edit: What is that SF team even doing there indeed.

Edited by Max Power

I don't think it looked too bad this time, obviously apart from the 'Hollywood-blue' moonlight (still evident in a very cloudy sky, somehow) which still annoys me, along with the perfectly steady aim (even when moving) and jogging with rifle to shoulder, back-broken crouched animations, wobbly jogging animations, intrusive DoF blur and low-volume (but close by) helicopter.

...Nothing that can't be fixed before release.

I really like the so called 'hollywood-blue' moonlight. Also from looking at the vid, the grass and view distance seems to be quite nice.

Altho the game will probably rip right thru my 8800GT 512mb just like arma 2 did, hopefully its better optimized and all.

Dont wanna upgrade the PC yet till i find a game thats worth it. The mouselag in arma 2, the radio chatter and a few other things turned me off upgrading for arma 2.

Video was ok. At first it looked like a convoy ambush, but then it seems like they are on the run?

A bit confusing. But gives a decent look at the game.

I think the video is scripted/acted. Or maybe it's from a mission.

Still some of those animations still look awkward, like they got something rammed up their butt.

That video reminds me extremly of the IGI series... loved those games, IGI 1 was pretty tough without having the possibility to save during the missions. Still remember the atmosphere in the 7th mission where you had to evade all the tanks and so on.

Nevertheless, this looks like IGI 3 in my opinion.

The problem is that IGI is one of those CM standard "I did well in the first one, now I am going to ruin the secound one" games...

I like this vid. Voices are great, the "hollywood-blue moonlight" doesn't annoy me, in fact I like the "hollywood stuff". Maybe CM follows now the right way to create a good game with a way of thinking professional. This would be an advantage over an other company :rolleyes:

The blue nights and grain filter will slowly drive me to madness and eventual suicide.