FP : DR - News & Discussion

Will you be buy Dragon Rising?  

318 members have voted

1. 1. Will you be buy Dragon Rising?

• Yes, I definitely will buy it.
    • No, I definitely won't buy it.
    • I will decide based on the demo.
    • I will decide based on reviews.

Wow. Such awesome news. Maybe next time there will be a press release about how the game will feature a graphic user interface, or a virtual environment with 3d graphics!

I don't think even many OFP/ArmA diehard fans play ArmA in the equivalent of "Hardcore mode".

I sure don't. For singleplayer I'd at least like some savegames/checkpoints.

I hope you can configure exactly how "hardcore" you want it to be, like ArmA.

I don't think even many OFP/ArmA diehard fans play ArmA in the equivalent of "Hardcore mode".

Yeah, you really got to be a masochist. I wonder why there is no compass. That's not an invention of game designers. Every soldier should have his own compass on which he can look when he wants too.

Or maybe I just don't get the idea of this mode. Maybe hardcore really means something like: No HUD, no indicators, no compass, no clothes... :rolleyes:

I hope you can configure exactly how "hardcore" you want it to be, like ArmA.

Well, since there isnt even leaning...

Also note, the guy quoted by REXinator wrote "Operation Flashpoint" (yeah right, without the 2). HERETIC! :D

Well, since there isnt even leaning...

Big deal. OFP didn't have leaning.

In a way, I kinda like that you have to expose yourself a bit more to fire around corners. Leaning in ArmA feels kinda weird, I wouldn't miss it if they removed it.

When they say removing the compass, they mean the one that is permanently on screen. Hopefully they are smart enough to at least have one come up when you look at the map, and maybe have a button for it.

Well, yes, you can compare an 8 year old game (which probably had engine limitations and the like) with a brand-new game in an era where leaning is state-of-the-art :rolleyes:

But leaning is part of realism. This is hardly discussable :j:

Well, yes, you can compare an 8 year old game (which probably had engine limitations and the like) with a brand-new game in an era where leaning is state-of-the-art :rolleyes:

But leaning is part of realism. This is hardly discussable :j:

There are hundreds of "parts of realism" that are missing in both games. In the end they are still games, and we play them for fun.

I've never seen any combat footage of soldiers leaning around a corner in the way leaning is done in games.

So what if it's an 8-year old game I'm comparing it to? With most game genres gameplay has hardly evolved in that time :p

ArmA 2 is an exception ;)

Yes, leaning IRL is not used as extremely as depicted in the game

(http://meltingpot.fortunecity.com/nevada/726/fibua.gif

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0fgZgVY8je0i8/610x.jpg), but this is just the only possible solution as once again engine limitations prevent you from moving your arms freely (and collision detection between weapon and building). Normally your weapon's butt stock isn't fixed to your shoulder which means you could move your arms in that way that you can aim around a corner without exposing half your body.

In all tactical shooters you have the possibility to lean, as Rainbow Six, SWAT3, and even the arcade ones as CoD etc. (hell even SystemShock, released in 1994 had leaning).

My guess is OFP1 had just too little CQC significance to get a leaning feature (or engine limitations, whatever). ArmA now has and I am happy with that. No leaning in OFP2 is just a step backwards imo.

Using the hip lean from most games is pretty stupid. I can't believe people who talk about realism would complain about lean not being in.

041104_marines_fallujah_1p.hmedium.jpg

Are these guys bent over at the waist like they have a hindge instead of a pelvis?

Yes, leaning IRL is not used as extremely as depicted in the game

(http://meltingpot.fortunecity.com/nevada/726/fibua.gif

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0fgZgVY8je0i8/610x.jpg), but this is just the only possible solution as once again engine limitations prevent you from moving your arms freely (and collision detection between weapon and building). Normally your weapon's butt stock isn't fixed to your shoulder which means you could move your arms in that way that you can aim around a corner without exposing half your body.

In all tactical shooters you have the possibility to lean, as Rainbow Six, SWAT3, and even the arcade ones as CoD etc. (hell even SystemShock, released in 1994 had leaning).

My guess is OFP1 had just too little CQC significance to get a leaning feature (or engine limitations, whatever). ArmA now has and I am happy with that. No leaning in OFP2 is just a step backwards imo.

Exactly!

We can all agree (I hope) that corners are where battles are fought from and leaning is the closet thing we have to fighting from corners without exposure. I remember when ECP brought leaning to OFP and I was like "wow, I could never go back...", the only thing I needed after that was the AI to lean as well.

Using the hip lean from most games is pretty stupid. I can't believe people who talk about realism would complain about lean not being in.

http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/j/msnbc/Components/Photos/041104/041104_marines_fallujah_1p.hmedium.jpg

Are these guys bent over at the waist like they have a hindge instead of a pelvis?

As andi very nicely pointed out in a post above you, it's all about peeking. The feature itself is overdone, but seeing how you have no other option to do a small peak I do believe it's rather important, since most of your time you will be spending behind cover or at least trying to. With no leaning the only way to check for threats is to expose your whole body to a hail of bullets.

I agree with Monty, the leaning feature is totally unrealistic; but everybody claims that it is realist. :rolleyes: And personally i have never the time to use the leaning stuff in game, and i don't need it.

the leaning stuff in game is just an eyecandy. All the Characters in games need re-education of their pelvis :p

but, in a commercial aim, this feature should be in OFP2; because all the kids are going to want this.

Maybe you missed the post andi and I made? It's not about the actual lean but looking around corners.

Andi's definitely right. Even if it doesn't look realistic in game, it is necessary to being able to see "safely" around corners.

The only way to make the whole thing much more realistic would be to add fluid stance and accurate weapon collision with environment.

No lean in Ofp2, that's really dissapointing. Even if CQB isn't the purpose of the game, I'll miss this.

You lot are a bunch of masochists but, you’ve got it; the hardcore mode in Operation Flashpoint will contain no HUD/UI elements at all other than radio chatter subtitles. That’s right, no crosshair, no compass, no gun or ammo displays…Nothing… [...]

This sounds really good, but i hope they'll add at least a compass on the map, if your position isn't drawed real time by gps !!

Edited by dunedain

I just read the deal on their forums about "hardcore" mode.

Lately I've been taking up for the game, saying give it a chance, but I was disappointed. Apparently, they view hardcore mode the same way arcade shooters like COD do, i.e. simply removing all HUD items, even ones that you realistically need.

For instance, you won't have an indicator of your fire mode, something you'd know in real life visually by looking at the gun (of which you probably can't do in the game). There's no injury indicator. So how do you know where you're hit and how bad? In real life you'd feel and see it. In a game you need visual sensors to relay this realistic information. No compass or waypoints. I guess you could say this is realistic, but in a game situation it can put you at an unrealistic advantage. In real life you are briefed extensively on landmarks and the area you are in. You don't take out your map every 3 minutes and calculate where you are at. The US armed forces also use GPS extensively now, even in squad situations.

I really was expecting the update about hardcore mode to be more about how the AI responds, how weapons respond, how your body responds. Not cheap removing of HUD items just to make things unfairly hard.

There also will be no saves in Hardcore mode, which just seems like another cheap way to make the game seem harder. That is just silly to me. It's still a game. Sometimes I have to go do things, sometimes I don't have to time to replay an hour of gameplay because I made a mistake. Saves should always be left up to person playing the game and not mandated by the developers.

Edited by bonchie

Yeah, that was a nice a feature of the old OFP, where you could abort the mission and then come back to finish it later and save points!

For all of you who claim there is no lean in OFP2, you might want to check your sources. There is absolutely no official statement what so ever from Codemasters that there will be no lean in the PC version of OFP2.

How can you people judge a game you haven't played? No one knows what the final product will be and you are all fools for claiming to know what it will be like.

You're probably the same people who judge movies by their trailers and books by the covers.

Mmmh... i had the exact same feeling while looking at your sig...how can you mod a game that doesn't exist...

The information might be good: ie. that soldiers don't peek around corners when they are under fire- but showing us obviously posed pictures isn't helping.

Further, the pics we're being showed here only involve peeking around right handed corners. I guess that soldiers either shoot left handed or lean out to shoot from cover around a left handed corner.

lol @ that.

In Germany we have a proverb: Getroffene Hunde bellen

I think there is no proper equivalent in English but translated it says, "dogs that have been hit, will bark"

I guess you can figure the meaning :D

"I have seen OFP2 & it quite literally going places Arma2 could only dream of..."

Yeah, you got shot in the head. But nothing serious, blabla, you know the drill. :D

Edited by Andi

Mmmh... i had the exact same feeling while looking at your sig...how can you mod a game that doesn't exist...

Well, first there is planning which we can do because we have contacts on the inside feeding us information about what the game will include. We have started making several models. There is also tons of research that has to be done. Having initiative and proper planning is a vital part of any good mod.

I'm not allowed to show much, but here's an example of one little piece of something already being made.

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i180/StSabath/CSP/Drive_Train_Tagged.jpg

Though most of it is safely locked away, you can find out more information in our forums.

http://combatsimproject.proboards.com/index.cgi

Edited by monty67t

At least the mods here don't hand out infractions for having an opinion that differs from theirs.