FP : DR - News & Discussion

Will you be buy Dragon Rising?  

318 members have voted

1. 1. Will you be buy Dragon Rising?

• Yes, I definitely will buy it.
    • No, I definitely won't buy it.
    • I will decide based on the demo.
    • I will decide based on reviews.

Not really a good promo video. Granted it was poorly recorded but it just seemed so...ordinary. And where the hell was the godawful Jackson 5 music coming from!?! Must have been a BI fanny nearby to disrupt things.

:622: Nah, it is just the ingame music when you are close to achieve a mission objective :D

TO add to what has been said, when the player was shot and half the screen was covered in blood..wtf?

Are you sure it was blood and not dirt? I couldn't tell what color it was. When the player is attacking the first target a bullet hits near him and dirt is thrown up onto the screen. It was kind of hard to notice because it was only on there for a few seconds and at the bottom of the screen.

Either way though I don't like the looks of the blood/dirt or the game as a whole. If I can play it co-op on one console I might buy it but I am doubting it.

Are you sure it was blood and not dirt? I couldn't tell what color it was. When the player is attacking the first target a bullet hits near him and dirt is thrown up onto the screen. It was kind of hard to notice because it was only on there for a few seconds and at the bottom of the screen.

Either way though I don't like the looks of the blood/dirt or the game as a whole. If I can play it co-op on one console I might buy it but I am doubting it.

Yup, his silhouette turns yellow on the torso at the same time. As you say, it looks stupid.

The movement is way too fast. If soldiers move around like that they would die by exhaustion without even encountering enemy forces...

Sorry but that is not a simulation. It's not Operation Flashpoint.

It's Crysis with real weapons.

The only thing i guess OFP2 has over Arma 2 currently is the radio chatter (and OFP2's wasnt even good, but still better than Arma 2's). I also like the island they are working with, would be cool if Arma2 has that island.

DR's voices sound more real, but the tempo is very slow.

"Over.........there.......rifle...man.........two..hundred......meters."

"sabre...one.....radio.........destroyed"

I'd rather have "Over. there. RifleMAN twohundred METERS"

DR's voices sound very fitting for a Russian emigrant shopping in a local mall...

Damn it certainly isn't Operation Flashpoint in anything but name. I've yet to be impressed by anything but the PR BS we had a year or two ago.

That game looks absolutely horrible. What sort of ancient movement and aiming system do they use.

I know a lot of people commit the heresy of putting the "Floating Zone" slider all to the left , but even then it is not as bad as what that video is showing.

That is certainly is not OFP2 .

Nice reload animations! Big improvement from the original OFP.

There were some arcade elements, but overall I did not think the game was too bad. I wonder what options can be turned off in the difficulty settings, as I would like to eliminate at least some of the HUD.

The only source of concern for me was that the game seemed to stutter at certain points, primarily around foliage and when the player was looking at the grass while walking/running. I'm hoping there aren't performance issues, as that is my primary concern with both OFP:DR and ArmaII.

-Student Pilot

That game looks absolutely horrible

lol, i would like to be able to create horrible things like that (I would have a job in the game industry):rolleyes:

why most of you want a copy of OFP1, personally i want a new game not an updated copy

It depends on how far you call it a new game, D@nte. DR has already crossed the line going from "sequel" to "entirely new game". And I don't mean that in a good way. My impression of the game has gone downhill the more that they show of it. I have yet to see any video that is actual gameplay and in the so-called "Hardcore" mode. This is such a "new" game that it shouldn't be called Operation Flashpoint.

The name is the last thing I will be judging this game on.

Too early to judge but my initial impression is that OFP: DR and ArmA 2 will be completely different gaming experiences. Obviously they both have certain things in common but OFP: DR seems more like a COD/BF: BC experience, but in a massive environment - a lot of fun!

Hopefully both titles will set the industry norm in terms of large sprawling environments which support CO-OP campaign play.

The big factor for me, as an Xbox 360 gamer, is the mission editor. If ArmA 2 does come to the Xbox 360 and it includes a mission editor (however basic), then it gives ArmA 2 a huge advantage over any other shooter in the market. Infinite replay value holds massive appeal to me.

More ingame footage from E3. Same mission as in the last video but with one of the developers (not sure) talking you through it.

Part 1: http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-09-operation-flashpoint/50855

Part 2: http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-09-operation-flashpoint/50857

With the last video I thought this game might be alright after a bit more development but after this, not so much.

The AI doesn't look so good (but work in progress I suppose), damage system seems to be much more forgiving than previously stated (although I read that it is on easy mode, but shot in the head and he's fine, come on). This along with strategically placed exploding red barrels, healing at checkpoints and the enemy keeping your ammo type in their weapons crates doesn't make it seem very, realistic. :(

"We all know what red barrels do!"

Brilliant, love it! :D

Thanks Codies, for making screenshots early on that perhaps coerced BIS into making ArmA 2 as good as they could!

The units and graphics don't stand up to scrutiny compared with ArmA 2.

0k, thats it.

I guess with these videos i've had it with so many Rise.

Note: the ocean couldn't be more static then that.. Literally puking.

Demo guy stands on hilltop and shoots down on several enemy troops before taken fire.

"As you can see, i've taken a hit to the head. It's nothing serious but I am bleeding badly."

Aw, these just get better!

Urgh? :eek: .

BIS really needs to figure out a way to distribute Arma 2 on the PS3 and xbox 360..

jees, did anyone see the "medic" system? hold the med pack, and wait til you are auto healed... this game sure has ALOT more arcade elements than sim.

was considering buying both a2 and fpdr, but after seeing these vids, i just saved myself some money to use on something else. (buying a2 ofc, just not dr)

Ok, wow, when he was sprinting it made me light headed.. And why does the screen shake when something explodes a mile away? lol.

God, this game is hilarious... I wonder if they're trying to compare it to ArmA2.

And it's funny how enemies aren't always aware of you even if you're close to them...like 10 feet close I mean. The only good thing about this game is the terrain bumping. But that's just it...

Edited by Litos

I have a feeling that this game will be not so succesful.

Just look at their forums, it will be successful. This game is what all the BF2 and CoD players wanted and they got it. Some even visit BIS forums and start asking about a fucking DLC or to make a new physics engine in a patch for Christ's sake...

Edited by eenter

I'm done with that game now.

"If it'd been a leg injury, it would have affected my ability to sprint." - So you can still walk/run? Just not sprint?

"If it'd been a arm injury, it would have affected my ability to aim" - Ok, pretty obvious.

What about that head injury? "Now that it was an head injury, it affects my ability to think" ? jeez...

Also, the red barrels are just... sigh...

*edit the artillery is quite cool but the rounds are falling straight down from the sky? Reminds me of that pewpew satellite in Command and conquer. Also, arty says "rounds away" STRAIGHT after the last coordinate number. Do they just blindly insert the numbers and press fire?

Edited by Hitman