FP : DR - News & Discussion

Will you be buy Dragon Rising?  

318 members have voted

1. 1. Will you be buy Dragon Rising?

• Yes, I definitely will buy it.
    • No, I definitely won't buy it.
    • I will decide based on the demo.
    • I will decide based on reviews.

Maybe it was on the DVD that came along with Gamemag and now got released on the webpage ?

We have boars, cows and dogs. There's dynamic building destruction that has been demonstrated in other videos from GC, where you can blow a path into a building for your squad, etc, or just selectivly destroy parts of the building. It's not a Physx kind of destruction, but a model hide thing, which is enough really.

Is there a video out showing any of the wildlife as mentioned yet? The latest one I have is from PC Zone mag. and they did not show any 'modular' building destruction or indeed any wildlife.

The official trailer has a dog running up to a soldier(http://www.arma2.com/), I remember a video with some sheep or just cows, but there are a bunch of screens of cows. There's also a boar somewhere. It's all in the new screenshots though, but I couldn't be bothered to dig them up really. Nice gimmicks, but that's just about it, IMO.

Not sure why VBS1 is being discussed as comparison for either ArmA1/2 or Codemasters' game, it's not relevant as a comparison and certainly not relevant to this thread.

Do not get your hopes up for Op flashpoint 2.

Sadly im no allowed to say any more.

Best advice is cross fingers, and read reputable reviews before you buy it, or u will get burnt

project is over budget and their expected sales are unlikely to recoup the dev costs.

They are debating releasing the game before its really ready, to recoup some dosh and then start working on the next game in the series....learn from their previous mistakes and move on.

Massive bugs that are causing the game to be highly unstable on PC and PS3.....xbox is most stable but still has issues.

Ai is dumb as a 2x4 plank.

The balance between realism and fun has been hard to get right, still working on it, missions can be dull.

The devs describe the game as a "realistic walking simulator...with in game crashes".

the dev in question said he wont be personally buying the game when it comes out. he will wait for the reviews and community reaction before falking out his own cash for a game he helped make.

Either its gonna be a 100% buggy pos flop, of its gonna be okish.

also its codemasters first, first person shooter.

To be honest what were they thinking:

Their first, fps and they go for:

Mass multiplayer

Realistic

Lots of millitary technology to model

multi platform

Open world

Personally i would have just started with a basic run and gun shooter to get some experience before deciding to develop operation flashpoint 2

LINK

Guy named: richardandrews, said those things... I don't know..

He said he know some dev's he seems so serious, could be BS too, lets see...

This could be also proof, why there is so less media and info about it, but idk...

Edited by Mafia101

He is saying the codie devs are saying that about their own game? I seriously doubt it, artists are the last people who criticise their own work. I have seen the most appalling pieces of software being released and had their developers wax lyrical about how great it is and they believe it. Either that or they have lots of lame excuses.

"realistic walking simulator...with in game crashes"

The best tag line ever ! :D

Well I've seen some nice things from both games now, but the proof of the pudding will be in the eating as they say! I've been fooled before by shiny videos and developer sweet talk and I never believe anything good or bad from 'gossip junkies' either!

Next stage I think is demos. Who will be first? :)

artists are the last people who criticise their own work

nope they are the first ;)

but i doubt that they share their feelings about ofp2

I seriously doubt it, artists are the last people who criticise their own work. I have seen the most appalling pieces of software being released and had their developers wax lyrical about how great it is and they believe it.

Sounds nice on paper, but Codemasters is a big company, and I think you are forgetting the issue of company politics. Often the devs are forced to do things they disagree with by those higher up the chain of command because of financial or time reasons. A lot of programmers who work for big companies end up becoming completely disillusioned by this process and lose all interest in their work.

That said, I hope that piece of information isn't true, albeit for the sake of the OFP name, not for Codemasters :p

It's not an unbelievable situation, but I can't say I'm convinced. We'll see.

I doubt its a case of artists criticising thier own work, more a case of Artist's critisising gameplay.

Hell is breaking loose over at the CM forums, due to your well spotted piece of gossip Mafia.

Over the course of DR's media publications there really have been some rough times over there.

OT: There is supposed to be a detailed video in the works, hopefully it can quash these rumors, or we will have 5 kilometers of metaphorical DR yarn tangled in an equally metaphorical 25 gallon mil-sim blender. I just hope that they can make the right choice to delay if needs be, otherwise I foresee another buggy, crashtastic, unsupported game, which will probably deal some major detriment to the continuing development.

things dont come up without a reason, and the thing is that codies do have a history of destorying a name, add it into the lack of real media infomation, videos, ingame screenshots etc..........really that doesnt sounds very nice for everyone, even if it is just rumors.

He-says-she-says like the stuff on EA forums can turn both ways really, while I'm hoping that CM at least pushes out a respectable product, just for the sake of not giving the name a bad rep, I'm thinking that if they're actually thinking of canning the title, that might be the better move for the brand preservation, but I highly doubt it, since I believe they're committed a bit too far at this point.

Here I thought I was having a busy night, but after seeing OF:DR forums, I guess I was wrong. :butbut:

Those comments seem kinda suspicious. It's not the kind of thing people under NDA's usually say. And it could cause some trouble.

I'm not surprised if it went over-budget though, it was an insane project to start from scratch especially with a team that hasn't done anything remotely like it.

And as the guy who posted it has his photo visible, it could land him and his developer friend in trouble. Or just him, if he doesn't really have a friend working for Codies.

Funny that he says "Sadly im no allowed to say any more" and then goes ahead to say stuff that he sure as hell wouldn't be allowed to say :p

Edited by Maddmatt

Here I thought I was having a busy night, but after seeing OF:DR forums, I guess I was wrong. :butbut:

Definitely, it looked like something out of 4chan, and I thought this thread was bad!

Post any examples?

I couldn't find anything really "that" bad...

The funniest thing about the whole incident that it's been up there for multiple days now, multiple threads have been created on their forums about it, and still, not a single person from the CM team has upfront denied what is being said. There's one thread on the DR forums where Viiper seems like he's denying it, but if he is, he certainly beads around the bush a lot. Not once in there does it say it's completely false.

Thought the incident itself doesn't really surprise me in the slightest. :p

Average age of the forum is 20. I think about 85% of the clientele are students.

What does that heroes thing stand for? Is that the official banner of the pretend moderators? Because you're doing a smashing job. Or is it a clan of genetically enhanced super-soldie...super-dragons?

And the answer is...

We are a group of like minded OFPR fans that strive to protect and grow the OFP community. The goal of this group is to put power behind Sir. Polaris and others to are striving to make this community better. Our aim is to see growth and a strong unified Community. This is goal our members share.

Requirements for this group:

* Kind caring attitude

* You must treat your fellow brothers with the utmost respect.

* You must ensure your actions do not tarnish the Heroes name.

* A passion to see the community grow and succeed

* A passion for the community and it's people.

* A avatar linked to the same avatar as the rest of this group (Mds/stf/Winrs exu.)

* Respectable conduct - No major violations of CM rules, or international laws.

* The ability to type readable English.

* You must use or attempt to use the community services on a frequent basis.

* You must be active in the community

* You must see Helios as a God, or at least the son of man

http://community.codemasters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=351144&page=3

Can I say "console kiddies" here without the console adults all taking offence?

It's taken me a while but I found some people on there I enjoy spamming my armchair general nonsense with. The moderators are all good and regulars here too. Good humoured and up for discussion.

There was a lot of "I am in teh army so you are a whiney little bitch" types for the longest time but they seem to have been effectively culled.

It's unevenly populated with British people, which is nice for me since I am one. Possibly the most British forum I visit outside of UK mod teams.

Edited by Baff1

Post any examples?

I couldn't find anything really "that" bad...

Maybe a slight exaggeration on my behalf, but this thread is rather amusing.

EDIT: Seems Baff beat me to it by a few seconds, great minds think alike they say :p

Edited by echo1

The rule of thumb of rumours:

If they are negative, they must be BS, if they are positive, they must be true. Or am I confusing rumours with CM's PR ... :butbut:

That 343guiltysaprk fellow really makes me chuckle. It's a shame that he's banned. I simply love his reply to that member of the "Heroes" group:

"here come the pretend moderators" :D

That forum actually has an almost scary environment. People forming these e-cults and calling up people to make stands for changes... It's like a political rally, over a game. :butbut:

The same bunch all used to spam over at the Soldner forums.

My god what a board that was.

I sort of feel sorry for CM since they are trying to pull off a game of the same scope and their chances of great success are just as slim.

When I look at Soldner, it fills me with appreciation for the actual capabilities and talent of the BIS and Dice teams. It's easy for me to knock them for all the little warts, but their stuff works.

It does what it says on the tin.

Edited by Baff1

Some positive Xbox 360 news.

CM have confirmed that OFP: DR will support system link CO-OP for 4 players.

Fantastic stuff!