318 members have voted

1. 1. Will you be buy Dragon Rising?

• Yes, I definitely will buy it.
    • No, I definitely won't buy it.
    • I will decide based on the demo.
    • I will decide based on reviews.

Hi all

OFP2 seems to have gone off the radar.

I believe that they have already said they will not be including jets in OFP2.

In the current economic climate with many game companies going to the wall can Codemasters survive?

Kind Regards walker

There was a recent (feb), 6 page article in pcpp australia that had abit about it.

Here is some pictures of the pages i quickly took, i don't think there is anything new or all that interesting in it, exept maybe that they say mod tools will be available on launch and that the SP campaign will be playable in co-op but that is probably old news(?).

http://rapidshare.com/files/195803510/ofp2.zip.html

They've definitely gone quiet. There seemed to lot of information all coming out once (excluding any decent in-game stuff) then silence.

I can't imagine the benefits of keeping your potential customers in the dark like that?

I guess OFP2 will be released by December at the earliest.

Nothing has been confirmed officially. TBA 2009 whistle.gif

Nothing has been confirmed officially. TBA 2009   whistle.gif

Are you trying to be an utter fruit about the subject? Do you work for Codies? Can you predict the future? If no, please do us a favour and don't type your unsupported drivel.

Guys, if CM want to keep quiet over the project, you need to get over it and stop speculating. Codies would be wasting money advertising at this time, the game needs to be advertised when it is at least pre-purchasable.

huh...did I say sth. wrong? Hope you only overreact a bit and not going to discuss "I guess" and "officially", "TBA"...

Nothing has been confirmed officially. TBA 2009   whistle.gif

Are you trying to be an utter fruit about the subject? Do you work for Codies? Can you predict the future? If no, please do us a favour and don't type your unsupported drivel.

Guys, if CM want to keep quiet over the project, you need to get over it and stop speculating. Codies would be wasting money advertising at this time, the game needs to be advertised when it is at least pre-purchasable.

Wow man, stay cool... Nobody did anything to you. Why shouldn't we be allowed to speculate?

Anyway, I don't expect a release before december. They didn't show real ingame stuff at all until now and I think we all know, how complex such a game is.

Since I am a member of the OFP2 community I can tell you that OFP2 has been pushed back for a Summer release around July.

And starting in a few weeks there will be, according to Codemasters, a advertising blitz, and at the end of that blitz a specific release date might be announced.

Anyway, no Codemasters is not a victim of the recession.

Hi all

I think the decision not to include Jet planes in a modern era battlefield simulation was a sad one.

Maybe the postponement is to give them a chance to put jet planes in it.

Kind Regards walker

Hi all

I think the decision not to include Jet planes in a modern era battlefield simulation was a sad one.

Maybe the postponement is to give them a chance to put jet planes in it.

Kind Regards walker

There will be airstrikes that you can call at least.

Ah really? I didn't know that. That sounds like a step backwards, excluding something that from the sequel that was in the original. Granted OFP planes aren't much chop, but they were flyable at least. If they've got in-game models, it can't be that hard to make them player-flyable, surely.

I have a bad feeling Arma 2 is going to have everything OFP2 lacks and vice versa, leaving us stuck in the middle confused_o.gif

This decision does suck, but maybe they are holding jets back for an expansion.  Silly marketing...

Couple of other things really disturbed me over on the Codemasters forums:

Some of their comments from various OFP2 interviews make me question whether we will truley get an unlimited sandbox editor.  The litmus test here will be whether or not we can simply fire up the editor, drop in a playable unit, and run or drive around, ala OFP/ArmA.  Anyone note that the FarCry2 editor is for multiplayer only?  Worthless, imo, if they are imposing specific game modes on you.

Also, last time I checked, there was a big debate about whether or not to allow 3rd person while on foot.  To put a blanket limitation like that would infuriate me to no end.  What if I'm just screwing around in the editor?  Are they going to dictate that I use first-person-only there too?  Not sure what the final verdict was, but imo there should be a server option to disallow 3rd person, otherwise no limitations.

I really hope the devs for OFP2 choose the right path on these two things (as well as including jets from the get-go).

I think a Christmas release is closer than a summer release.

Frankly if they manage a summer release, it bodes poorly for the amount of content included in the game.

Personnally my biggest concern regarding OFP2 is the mission editor, its possibilities and limitations.

Will it be as fantastic/sandbox-like/easy to use despite having very deep and complex possibilities/is scripting langage possible/etc ... as it was in OFP ? Or will it be something very basic and limited, if it exists at all ?

For the non-inclusion of planes, i just don't understand the reason, unless they have a heavy limitation in their engine with some kind of very low "skybox", or they just "hold back" for possible expansions.

In OFP despite the planes simulation was totally incorrect in their handling and certainly not the best part of the game, it was always very fun to engage in dogfights with tons of other AI planes.

Ill be very interested to see if OFP2 has a fully developed coding/scripting language like Arma/ofp. That is the heart of these products and without it you have .... BF2.

hmm, can anybody inform me about what they said regarding streaming terrain and view distance?

Have they said anything about areas that don't have to load, and view distances that can go up to 10km.

I think it's these two issues that are the problem for jets in OFP2.

Hi all

Is not being able to get decent view distances why they have postponed OFP2?

Is not having Jets in OFP2 just a symptom; of other deeper problems with the modified Dirt engine?

Kind Regards walker

hmm, can anybody inform me about what they said regarding streaming terrain and view distance?

Have they said anything about areas that don't have to load, and view distances that can go up to 10km.

There will be 35km VD.

@walker:

It isn't a modified dirt engine. EGO is the engine solely made for OFP2 and dirt engine is a modification from it.

There will be 35km VD.

Didn't look like it in the old screens. And the terrain looked terrible.

Maybe they're giving it a well needed overhaul.

Quoting Harpo245 from Tacticalgamer.com forum:

Quote[/b] ]First off:

"Speculation coming out of Codemasters today in regards to the OFP2 release date. Reported today at VG247.com:

Codemasters got a little more specific on the release date of Operation Flashpoint 2 this morning, telling VG247 the sequel will release this summer.

“Flashpoint is currently slated officially as “Summer 2009,†said a rep, adding that the firm couldn’t be “any more precise than that right now.â€

The game was down for a “2009″ date up to now.

The military sim was fully announced last year. It was originally planned for “winter†2008, but was moved into 2009 in July.

Codemasters itself is developing the game, after dropping Bohemia Interactive, the creator of the first title."

And finally:

"This Friday, February 20th 2009 at 9pm GMT. The first major OFP2 news release will be distributed to the public.

We expect from the now generated CM enthusiasm that we will see a strong showing of important media content, most likely a video and almost surely a pile of screens.

There will be a Release Party on #OFP2 Community Chat (IRC) leading up to and trailing after the official release moment."

Come on Friday! biggrin_o.gif

This should be very interesting.

There will be 35km VD.

I'll believe that when I see it. Even if there is some kind of view distance implementation that far out, they certainly aren't going to be rendering objects that far out. This island is supposed to be 20 km x 20 km, and the longest weapon range you can expect is 7km. 35 km view distance doesn't make sense.

The ego engine IS a modified Neon engine which was used in Colin McCrae: DiRT. Other games that use the EGO engine are Colin McCrae: DiRT 2, Race Driver: GRID, and Formula One 2009.

A1 has 50k viewdistance (only terrain rendered after 4-5k).