Sign in to follow this  
Jonescrusher

Real Mortars by Jones

As usual Jones love your work, killing click on map arty one mod at a time!

Or you could do what I do, download BlakeAce's Fire Control Calculator from Armaholic, import the friction and speed values and call it your Mortar Ballistic Computer.

I have updated the calculator to use mils and comes default with Jones Mortar addon's ballistic values. For those that don't know it, it is an Excel spreadsheet used to calculate fire solutions for arty addons "usually Jone's awesome stuff" in a more realistic way, by communication between FO and the battery.

fcc13a.th.jpg

You can get it here

http://www.gamingsa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3055

or

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=2892

A quick tute can be found for it here.

http://www.zspecialunit.org/forums/arma-2-armed-assault-2/1036-fire-control-calculator.html

Edited by blakeace

there is a small wrong number in the Fire Control Cal. v.1.3a

airFriction = -0.0002000; (your Int Vel was 0.0002) !!!!!!!

after i put a minus before the number, i it the correct target coordination.

As a AD FO in the Army, I had a shitload of fun with this mod.

I just can't wait for the real artillery.

there is a small wrong number in the Fire Control Cal. v.1.3a

airFriction = -0.0002000; (your Int Vel was 0.0002) !!!!!!!

after i put a minus before the number, i it the correct target coordination.

I didn't have this problem.

Avandir, I am working on a system to put Blakeaces calculator into ArmA2, and integrate all this sort of stuff together with the whole line of FA parts, FO, FDC, and the Gun Line.

All sorts of cool stuff FAATDS, PFED, all sorts of goodies I hope to get in there. Also LA fire (thats working but is a bitch to aim), and working with Charon Productions to make sure we can easily port in his artillery addons like DPICM, ADAM, RAAMS, Excalibur, etc. Also if he brings out new units (like SP artillery) then I am going to try and get that in the game as well.

Granted this is all sort of pie in the sky right now... I am having issues with the calculator since it can't run in game fast enough to be effective so I am using my own ballistics table. Oh well, when I have something more interesting to show than what I have now I will make a thread about it.

Thanks again to Jones and Blakeace for all the work you have done!

I didn't have this problem.

Avandir, I am working on a system to put Blakeaces calculator into ArmA2, and integrate all this sort of stuff together with the whole line of FA parts, FO, FDC, and the Gun Line.

All sorts of cool stuff FAATDS, PFED, all sorts of goodies I hope to get in there. Also LA fire (thats working but is a bitch to aim), and working with Charon Productions to make sure we can easily port in his artillery addons like DPICM, ADAM, RAAMS, Excalibur, etc. Also if he brings out new units (like SP artillery) then I am going to try and get that in the game as well.

Granted this is all sort of pie in the sky right now... I am having issues with the calculator since it can't run in game fast enough to be effective so I am using my own ballistics table. Oh well, when I have something more interesting to show than what I have now I will make a thread about it.

Thanks again to Jones and Blakeace for all the work you have done!

Keep AFATDS out of this. It's sensitive information.

But other then that, FASCAM, DPICM, it's all good shit. I don't know anything about mods, but if you need any info, just let me know.

Keep AFATDS out of this. It's sensitive information.

But other then that, FASCAM, DPICM, it's all good shit. I don't know anything about mods, but if you need any info, just let me know.

Haha I am civilian, so I only can glean what I can from people that might know and stuff I find digging through the internets and FAMAG and stuff like that.

I'm just a big nerd who loves complex weapons systems and programming... :p

He found it online..... can we say OPSEC Violation... haha...

. Avandir here just joined the 3rd MD and I showed him this calculator and we just spent part of the day working with it. I would love to see this with the M119. That would make a world of change.

And I no I am not a FO :p .... MP is what I do.

Anyway good work, and we really look forward to more and improve things here.

Edited by Alderman

;1480558']He found it online..... can we say OPSEC Violation... haha...

. Avandir here just joined the 3rd MD and I showed him this calculator and we just spent part of the day working with it. I would love to see this with the M119. That would make a world of change.

And I no I am not a FO :p .... MP is what I do.

Anyway good work' date=' and we really look forward to more and improve things here.[/quote']

Haha I can be very persuasive... :P But no, if it comes close to OPSEC violations in my opinion, or I am told it violates OPSEC then no go for inclusion. If I happen to make something out of my own imagination/logical thought process and it ends up violating OPSEC... well then maybe Raytheon should look into hiring me... ;)

On the M119, I have a version working that can take calculations from Blakeaces calculator, it only has 4 charge levels, but it still fires out to the max range of the M760 cartridge. I just figured 8 charges was a bit too much for in game and 4 seems to hit most everything it should, low and high angle.

Sorry, I feel like I am hi-jacking this thread... :P

No illumination rounds? Probably a very solid minority here, but my gaming group uses them in our throwback '85 missions.

I belong in this minority too. Illumination is still used today, at least for artillery. We prefer artificial illumination on modern missions over the too powerful and convenient NVGs. Oh, and it does add sooo mcuh atmosphere :)

Well I am not sure if its sensitive. Ask Pez (Avandir) since he brought it up. I will remind him to drop by this thread later when I see him on vent.

But also I just found this, which is nice since its server side scripts I believe :) !!

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=6728

Says in changelog it works with M119. So Would we need a calc for that now then?

I plan on including the scripted version in my multi-player missions however my feeling is it's a little hardcore for a public server (though infinitely better than clicking on a map to target). I feel displaying a fourth value showing the calculated range at +/-0 altitude would take the edge off that difficulty.

Ya that would be neat. I would love to be able to have this all as serverside so we can still use the calc and all while playing on our public mission files where we dont have/need pubbers to download. It also makes it easier for the unit to not have a file to download and all to. But if we were able to get in game calc system then I think it would be great thing to show pubbers and be able to teach them. My unit runs a very tight crwe of people, both in our unit and with our pubbers who are regular and who we develop strong ties with.

The problem with the scripted version is the airfriction values and muzzle velocities. I could script different muzzle velocities in but the airfriction is set in configs files. The scope of which is private so you can alter those variables on the fly. Altering the configs makes for a better deal in the long run. Ownership of the round is still ties to player so kill credit is given. I don't care about stats so much but it is still nice for credit to be given where it is due.

It's true that you can often only achieve 75% of the solution in script but you can reach so many more players so much more easily. IMO scripts are the only way to extend gameplay on a public server, I hope where feasible you'll at least consider both versions in any future improvement.

As usual Jones love your work, killing click on map arty one mod at a time!

I have updated the calculator to use mils and comes default with Jones Mortar addon's ballistic values. For those that don't know it, it is an Excel spreadsheet used to calculate fire solutions for arty addons "usually Jone's awesome stuff" in a more realistic way, by communication between FO and the battery.

fcc13a.th.jpg

You can get it here

http://www.gamingsa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3055

or

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=2892

A quick tute can be found for it here.

http://www.zspecialunit.org/forums/arma-2-armed-assault-2/1036-fire-control-calculator.html

blakeace, is there any possibility of making a version of your spreadsheet for Open Office Calc? I don't have Excel, not going to buy it, your macros don't work in Calc and the MS Excel Viewer cannot change any values.

Help?

I am working on something similar to Jones scripts. I should have a post with some units and other information in the next few weeks. Its an over all realism package for artillery, the whole system from FO to FDC to the gun line.

I'm interested specially in the FO department, a bit more options should be available when doing firemissions. And I'm not a hardcore artillery guy but it would be usefull even from a gameplay pov.

Salah ad Din;1497794']blakeace' date=' is there any possibility of making a version of your spreadsheet for Open Office Calc? I don't have Excel, not going to buy it, your macros don't work in Calc and the MS Excel Viewer cannot change any values.

Help?[/quote']

I have been very busy and didn't see this. Sorry I have not had any exp with Open office, and haven't got time to really look into it. Though I am more than happy for somebody else to convert it if they want.

As a side note to this, NouberNou is working on something similar, that is actually ingame not a seperate application. I haven't heard where he is at with it at the moment though?

Blakeace, I have a somewhat working ballistics computer in ArmA2 now... I used your algorithms to generate the right firing solutions.

Only issue is that its too slow in ArmA2... much much much to slow.

So I had to calculate ballistics tables. I actually still use your algorithm though. I get a high-low value for the elevation and then I run your algorithm and get the corrected value between the precomputed ones. So a big thanks to you! I still need to figure out how to calculate flight times for low angle artillery.

I'd just use a linear interpolation but I couldnt find one that was accurate enough and this is still pretty quick.

Anyways I am integrating all of this into a somewhat real/somewhat fantasy version of the US AFATDS. I have a version of the M119 that works much like Jones M252, and I am working on getting them to have a better way of aiming, using granular animations to adjust azimuth and elevations.

This is all player controlled stuff by the way, I actually am in a unit with people willing to do it... :P We also do all the cool stuff like polar plots and OT line adjustments and stuff too. Its good fun and we are learning a lot. Lots of real life artillery people I have talked to are impressed! :P

From here http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=86016&highlight=artillery&page=3

Sorry for the slow reply.

I have been very busy and didn't see this. Sorry I have not had any exp with Open office, and haven't got time to really look into it. Though I am more than happy for somebody else to convert it if they want.

As a side note to this, NouberNou is working on something similar, that is actually ingame not a seperate application. I haven't heard where he is at with it at the moment though?

From here http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=86016&highlight=artillery&page=3

Sorry for the slow reply.

The interface still needs work... I actually moved away from your calculator Blake when I realized how easy it was to use BIS's ballistics table generator and included functions... Like nearly a month of work was replaced by 3 functions in the artillery module... :rolleyes: On the other hand I learned a ton of stuff about math I didn't know from you and BIS so it wasn't in vain.

If you check out this video I have my main issue solved with the aiming portion...

wcBxVaHQMpA

Uses animations instead of the mouse... Million times easier to aim.

I am going to be starting a thread soon with some more stuff in it. I am waiting on a couple of people to talk about including additional artillery units in my pack.

That's awesome Nouber, can't wait for more info, keep it. Will you add different sort of options for firemission from FO's (spread, rof, whatever), and can these FO's be AI as well as human? Won't derail the thread more though, will wait until you open the thread.

Jones you still working on the other arty pieces for this?

I am actually adding the d30 and m119 today. Have some free time due to the holidays. it will take a couple of hours to config and test it but I should have it released this evening. I am just going to throw the peices on top of the current build, I already added most of the code in the first release just haven't had much time lately.

I configed everything and what not but there is this problem I am having. i am unable to enter the M119. And the D30 enter actions only pop up if I wiggle around in front of the gun. This isn't mod related it happens with no mods and 3 seperate computers. Does anyone else have this issue? Until this is resolved I can't test it, kind of bummer.