Sign in to follow this  
Jonescrusher

Real Mortars by Jones

This mod is based off of my Mortar scripts. I added 4 charges of each ammo class for more control over the ballistics.

Additionally I added a feature that allows you to open the map and click the map to verify traget data. No tweaking or scripting required it is all self contained.

I had planned on releasing it as part of a full artillery conversion pack but realised that I wanted to Do completely different user interfaces and options with the M119 and D30

So I decided to release this as a stand alone mod as the time it will require to finish my othe rprojects might be some time.

I haven't been able to test it on a dedicated server so there is the possibility of an issue. I doubt it, because I had none with the scripts but I am not 100% sure.

So if you come across any MP issues let me know I and I will fix it ASAP.

There is the ability to over ride the default settings with the init.sqf I added a copy of the init.sqf in a demo mission. and copies of the text in the readme for how to over ride them.

Download here

http://www.filedropper.com/realmortars

Features:

High explosive 4 powder charges (High damage 10 meter blast area)

white phosphorus 4 powder charges (Low damage 20 meter blast area)

Target area data (While sitting in mortar open map and single click data will appear in top right of screen)

Registration fire, Returns gun data with impact data.

Ammo restrictions such as reload times and ammo truck proximity.

Default options over ride, Default setting can be changed via the mission "init.sqf" file

All displays are shown Milradians and meters

No illumination rounds? Probably a very solid minority here, but my gaming group uses them in our throwback '85 missions.

Other than that, awesome, awesome mod. Now to build a firing table...

I tried using the Illum rounds right out of the box and they wouldn't fire off. I am still messing around with them to see if I can get them to work with out having to script them.

As far as reality....I guess I could have 5 players use the system, a couple players to go pound survey sticks in to the ground one to act as the crusty noncom that can't hear himself think because he done lost his hearing 10 years earlier. one person to take a nap under a truck and another person complain because he had to carry the base plate 3 times in a row. Luckly this isn't reality it is just a game.

HI Jonesy. Do we have the sound of arty shells coming in? Dont hear any. Also the old version was scripted instead of a pbo. any chance of re-releasing as scripts? then users dont have to have the pbo and the mission maker can drive it in.

Edited by gunterlund21

Unfortunately has nothign to do with the reality at all.

The whole angle is wrong.

Not quite sure what you mean by this. According to my calcs he is spot on given the parameters the game allows.

Awesome.... How does this work? :confused:

It works more or less like a real (albeit already emplaced) mortar. Instead of aiming using 360 degrees, you have 6400 mils. Once you are on your mortar, figure out your own location, as accurately as possible. When you recieve a fire mission, first determine tangent (deflection) by physically turning the mortar towards the grid. I've found that placing the map compass over my position, turning, adjusting, turning, adjusting, etc. works. Once you are on target, figure out (roughly) what the range is. Each grid is 100m and simply counting grids usually gets you in the ballpark. Match that to your range table (because you did build your own range table, right?!) and apply the proper elevation. If the altitude of your target differs significantly take the difference and either add (higher alt) or subtract (lower alt) from your range.

Fire.

At a period of some time, your forward observer/mortar fire controller (because you do have an FO/MFC, right?!) should report back with an adjustment. Make the adjustment and fire again. Repeat the process until you've exhausted your ammo, your target or your patience.

Or you could do what I do, download BlakeAce's Fire Control Calculator from Armaholic, import the friction and speed values and call it your Mortar Ballistic Computer.

Believe me, if you like easy mode artillery, this mod is not for you. The only people I remember using similar in ArmA1 were former or aspiring artillerymen themselves, as two of us were former or active artillerymen (of a sort) and of the three HS kids in my unit's battery, two went into real life artillery, one in the Army, one in the USMC.

Yea, I pretty much figured that out. I just do not know the values I need to put in to calculate a firing/range table... I will look into that Fire Control Calculator.

There are 4 different types of HE rounds and I am not sure of what their muzzle velocities are (I assume each type has a different amount of boost charge).

I play in a tactical realism unit and I my MOS is 11C so I would like to maybe see about using this for our unit. It would add another level of realism to the group.

We actually do have FO and someone running FDC and people manning the tubes. It would be interesting to see how this can fit in with it. :P

Pythagoras is nice for ranging the artillery, but does need a calculator at hand.

distance = sqrt ( (x-distance)^2 + (y-distance)^2 )

So if the target is 2.4km east of you, and 1.9km south, the horizontal distance will be:

sqrt ( 2.4^2 + 1.9^2 ) = sqrt ( 5.76 + 3.61 ) = sqrt ( 9.37 ) = 3.06km.

Just make sure to keep the units of measurement consistent throughout the calculation, be it in kilometers, hundreds of meters or single meters.

Maybe not overly useful when putting down a howitzer barrage over a wider area, but really nice for pintpoint first-shot strikes on fixed positions.

The mod actually calcs distance and heading for you. Its the elevation calc that you need to do. Ive created a calc for this in a spreadsheet if anyone is interested.

Ahhh. I got the impression one had to punch in the wished for distance as well (or at least know it to determine needed elevation). Never ever used artillery in neither ArmA or ArmA2, so haven't felt the need to try this myself, even though I like the concept :)

The mod actually calcs distance and heading for you. Its the elevation calc that you need to do. Ive created a calc for this in a spreadsheet if anyone is interested.

Never noticed that before. Even though it's written on the demo map.

There are 4 different types of HE rounds and I am not sure of what their muzzle velocities are (I assume each type has a different amount of boost charge).

airFriction = -0.0002000;

Muzzle velocities

Charge 1: 150 meters per seconds

Charge 2: 210

charge 3: 270

charge 4: 330

As far as doing this all in scripts, it wouldn't work right with out being able to modify the airfriction values. The first scripts I released was the general concept but I want to keep the rounds configs so they actually leave the tube and follow the full trajectory. I might do some scripting on nonleathal munitions like illum and smoke seeing I can get them to work otherwise.

where do I put the SQF and SQM files? I am guessing this is the reason nothing happens when I left click the map in the editor?

Here is a calculator I whipped up for this system. Let me know how it runs. Basically it works by punching the coordinates of the target and gun along with the elevation of each, then use the slider of the charge in use to match the target range with the charge. Read the elevation and use it in the game. Let me know how it works. This is a spreadsheet for Excel.

Download Here

Edited by gunterlund21

where do I put the SQF and SQM files? I am guessing this is the reason nothing happens when I left click the map in the editor?

It is used as an addon so you have to put the @realmortars folder in your arma root directory and add this bit to the end of your shortcut

-mod=@RealMortars

then start the game with the modified shortcut.

in the editor look for the "LRM252" all the mortars start with"LR"

For more info on how to load addons search around the forums here and there is a good tutorial at armaholic on it.

@Jonescrusher

Many thanks mate this just fantastic hopefully you will get the illum/smoke rounds in man this really makes arty worth playing

@Gunterland21

Sent you a pm regarding your calculator

Have given this a go and it's great fun to use, but of course I haven't been on the receiving end yet.

Could somebody give me an indication of how much damage these modded mortars do compared to the default? A ten metre radius on the HE rounds sounds very small compared to what the mortars usually do. Is it a ten metre burst, which you can cheerfully stand outside, or is it a ten metre burst plus shrapnel?

If it is a big reduction from the default damage is there a way to tinker finagle it back to the ordinary level?

the original blast radius was 20 meters, however the blact radius of a 120 mm mortar 20 meters. I was going to go with 15, but I went with 10 to balance the play. It forces better accuracy. I basically took 10 meters off of each round, Increased the damage of HE so that it would have more effect on vehicles and reduced the damage on WP so that it could really only affect infantry.

You could crack the pbo and change all these values if you don't care about the addon being signed.

The file is "configs\CfgAmmo.hpp"

These would be the values you want to alter.

hit = 180;

indirectHit = 70;

indirectHitRange = 10;

Keep in mind that if you crack open the mod the signiture is invalid if you are running a server with signiture checks.

Hi Jonescrusher

Sorry to ask but hows the m119 /D30 coming on? cant thank you enough for the mortars mate. This is an awesome addon, looking forward to the smoke/illum