Sign in to follow this  
W0lle

Cold War Rearmed² Discussion

Do you want first aid modules used in the Missions/Campaigns?  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want first aid modules used in the Missions/Campaigns?

• Yes, please add the ability to provide first aid and drag wounded
    • No, please keep it as the original, without the First Aid module and only medics can heal

It is, just finished tweaks for Resistance campaign. Its basically ready unless testers find something. I have heard the mod is going forward nicely too, I dont know the release dates, but things are coming. :)

Thanks for the reply. I've been away from the community for a while (even well before the infancy of my join date on the forums) and just recently gotten back into the swing of things. CWR² would be a wonderful start.

Our latest release is CWR² Demo 4. You can find it in the Addons Complete forum :)

I changed the poll to a new one, please vote. :)

I would like to know if you want to have the First Aid Modules in the CWR² Missions and Campaigns or if you prefer to keep them as in 2001 where only medics were able to heal you (and no dragging/carrying) of units.

The First Aid Module please. Playing the old missions has become harder with the improved AI so I guess that the Module is good for balance. Only a medic will be able to heal you 100% so they are still vital.

The first aid module would basically mean:

1) You get incapacitated with less damage than what is required to kill you

2) Wait 1-5 minutes for a medic, or alternatively forever

3) Miss the mission's events and highlights as you're writhing on the ground

4) The mission autosaves as it progresses even when you're down

5) You then decide to restore to the last save every time your guy says [uGH!], exactly as it was with the normal dying thing

Edited by Celery

Isn't the poll suppose to be on the first post? Can't find it there.

I'm with Celery on this. the First Aid module is good for coop play, but it just makes it frustrating in SP. Moreover, I prefer it to remain as close to the original as possible.

Only medics or first aid support like tents/vehicles. Perhaps create a new + working CWR2 first aid support module so one can help himself with some bandages? Just something to let the player survive a few seconds longer until the AI medic will finally find + help him... Seen often enough how the AI medic was standing one or two foot beside the wounded and for whatever reason refused to his job. Just not somekind of magic auto-heal feature!

Sorry guys, just editing the old poll and setting all votes back to 0 didn't worked as I thought it would, so I had to ask for the old poll removed.

New poll added now, please vote again. :)

A very concrete problem is that missions have to be built around the first aid module from the start to avoid the many problems it causes, and the module is specifically designed for missions/campaigns where there are plot-critical characters that mustn't die even though their AI wants the opposite (Harvest Red's answer to Queen's Gambit's frustrating squad management). OFP's missions weren't designed with that system in mind: in many missions you are alone or there are things you really should take active part in.

I know that there is the aspect of "a second chance" in the first aid module system, but I think it's better to admit that this time you died and hope that maybe next time you won't, i.e you should get that second chance through loading or restarting. It's the faster way in any case. Ben Croshaw wrote a rather nice article touching the issue: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/columns/extra-punctuation/8753-Death-in-Videogames

Regardless of what it was designed to do, I have played many campaign missions with the first aid module active. I didn't find it caused many problems, but did give me another dimension of gameplay. Moreover, at least for me, it's not about second chances at all, but about helping wounded team members.

If you think it's fun, vote yes. If it annoys you, vote no. If we put it in and it's causing a lot of critical problems, we'll handle that as well.

Why not make it optional?

Saoks Missions/Camaigns often give you the opportunity to select if you want to play with the BIS first Aid Module, the one from ACE, or without any first aid system.

That might be a good option to explore. But, bear in mind we're just gathering information about how people feel about the FA module right now. We're not making design policy.

Only medics should heal. Original was balanced with that in mind and since missions are more or less (if not) 1:1 when it comes to enemies vs. friendlies balance - it should stay like in the original.

I completed CWR2 demo and while it became slightly more challenging - there's nothing that doesn't feel like a properly balanced CWC.

Since people already can play with unlimited saves across 8 saveslots on lower (and even on Veteran with tweaks) difficulties - there's no point in first aid module.

That might be a good option to explore. But, bear in mind we're just gathering information about how people feel about the FA module right now. We're not making design policy.

I understand that, it´s just a nice way to make everyone happy. The functionallyty is also already there and I guess SaOK wouldn´t have any trouble implementing it.

There is probably a way around this but I find first aid frustrating when commanding. If you get hit your men start doing very stupid things that are likely to get them killed. I guess one can see that as punishment for getting shot in the first place but it is quite annoying.

W0lle, I believe there's a slight error in the way you phrased the poll. Even with the First Aid module, only medics can heal. Howrver, everybody can provide first aid, which is something like stabilizing a patient or stopping his bleeding. After being first aided, once must heal, by a medic or by stationary medic tent, APC etc.

Therefore I think it should be phrased like that:

• No, please keep it as the original, without the First Aid module and only medics can heal

Sometimes the first aid module provides moments of hilarity as you lie and bleed to death while the AI run about aimlessly and either do/don't try to heal you, and get killed in the same spot you did.

W0lle, I believe there's a slight error in the way you phrased the poll. Even with the First Aid module, only medics can heal. Howrver, everybody can provide first aid, which is something like stabilizing a patient or stopping his bleeding. After being first aided, once must heal, by a medic or by stationary medic tent, APC etc.

Therefore I think it should be phrased like that:

Done. ;-)

Sometimes the first aid module provides moments of hilarity as you lie and bleed to death while the AI run about aimlessly and either do/don't try to heal you, and get killed in the same spot you did.

Definitely. And eventually the next will come then trying the same, just to get shot also. :-)

BTW, it's Off topic, but do we know if un ArmA 3 it Will be fixed and when wounded, the allies Will try to drag and heal us like in the medical addon released in ArmA 2?

I also find that quite hillarious and fun.

BTW, it's Off topic, but do we know if un ArmA 3 it Will be fixed and when wounded, the allies Will try to drag and heal us like in the medical addon released in ArmA 2?

LOL. Why are you asking us? There's a whole subforum dedicated to asking questions about A3.

About the behaviour of the a2 AI in general and the bounding overwatch behaviour, I think it's quite irritating when the AI seem to take their sweet time only to be shot down in the attempt... but fix which behaviour? The one where they die trying to rescue you like lemmings or the one where they're too cautious and try to suppress the enemy and take care of each other before attempting it? It seems like these two things are like

one thing here <=== here we are now ===> the other thing over here

The AI don't run around and act like heros which I can appreciate. There's a video going around the forums of a soldier getting shot a few times while running down a hill but allegedly his armour saved him and he didn't actually get injured. He's calling for help for quite a while but no one was very keen to abandon all sense of fieldcraft and run down the same enfilade into machine gun fire to die beside him. Real rescue services like fire and ambulance are now being trained to take care of themselves before helping their victims so they don't become victims themselves. It's a strange situation to be in in a game where I think the AI are being smart by trying to sort their own shit out before rescuing me but languishing isn't always very fun. It can be, but it can also be very frustrating. Maybe if the AI acknowledged your 'wounded' message with, 'I'll get to you when I can / I'm busy / come to me if you can / etc.'

Some people seem to forget that they don't heal you not because they are being stupid, but because they are not.

Ask yourself a question - would you rush to heal a dude who has been just shot moments earlier?

If you have any kind of basic survival instinct - the answer will be NO.

The AI behavior, a very correct one, in ArmA2 is to make sure there are no enemies first and then heal you. If you will bleed out - well that's only 1 dead dude and not a whole squad. In fact the problem here is that they do try sometimes to heal you in the middle of a firefight - BIS should've forbidden them from doing this too.

Hi,

First off I want to thank all of you for bringing CWC to ARMA2, i know its very time consuming and takes great dedication. There are a few things I'd like to add or say. 1st off the M16A1 is shown with a 20 rns mag, while most of the exisiting missions have it using a 30 rnd mag. Is there any way that can be updated for realism purposes. Also there is no CAr-15 SD. I'm sure that they have been supressed for a LONG time. Also I'm sure I read somewhere that there were going to be 3 camps, the original CWC, resistance and a Camp kinda like Red Hammer. I have been unable to find any info on the 3rd Camp. I got the Red Hammer Camp made in German but got frustrated with it cuz of all the bugs. Just am interested as to what to expect. and am on Stand By for the full Monty........Again I am honored to play what you have done so far, bit just like oliver......

Please Sir, I'd like some more....