Sign in to follow this  
W0lle

Cold War Rearmed² Discussion

Do you want first aid modules used in the Missions/Campaigns?  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want first aid modules used in the Missions/Campaigns?

• Yes, please add the ability to provide first aid and drag wounded
    • No, please keep it as the original, without the First Aid module and only medics can heal

Can't wait for this, I was playing OFP: Elite on my Xbox the other day and was like "So this is how it all started" and fell in love with it.... again.

Sorry to ask, probably been asked a hundred times before but ....

Will CWR2 be ACE2-compatible? I'm mainly thinking of the tanks here (don't get me started on how much ACE2 improves armored combat ... :D)

Sorry to ask, probably been asked a hundred times before but ....

Will CWR2 be ACE2-compatible? I'm mainly thinking of the tanks here (don't get me started on how much ACE2 improves armored combat ... :D)

At the current state we haven't made any decision on that yet, depends mainly on how much additional work it is. But I'm definitely not saying "no way we'll do that". :)

i am playing CWR for A1 at the moment. I recognized that many missions are modified in different ways (starting points, duration/sub-missions, end-sequences). was this caused by a technical reason? will CWR for A2 based on the campaign for A1 or will it created by scratch?

Afaik this often was required for various reasons: Different view distances, different AI (driving) behaviour, ...

Can't tell you for A2.

While CWR2 goal is simple (let's make OFP!), I'm quite curious about CWR2 Pro, so I have 2 questions:

What kind of units will be introduced? Best avaliable at 1985 (like T-72B, T-80BW, M249 and M16A2)? Or maybe more realistic, kind of what you would except to see in battle-ready unit in 1985 (T-72A, T-80B, M60 and M16A1)?

Will there be CWC and Res campaigns using Pro units? Or maybe alternative config placing Pro units as BIS default in place of OFP-wise ones? Broken ballance of missions may feel weird at first, but it's place for own creativity like it was for me, when I replaced first CWR units with P85 ones (lots, lots of work, but final effect was awesome).

We surely will have some additional models for CWR2 Pro, which in detail depends on two factors: Time and Donations ;)

All of the named vehicles/variants and combinations of it should be no problem at all, and either are planned or already included in CWR2 anyway.

For the campaigns we definitely used the "normal" CWR2 units but we might either include some sort of "replacement mod for the mod" which allows to play the campaigns with the Pro units (which might be easier) or make seperate campaign files with the Pro units as well.

Our biggest problem at the moment are gathering the required models and get them ingame, same with the islands. Once that is done we can think about the mission related stuff. :)

no chance to use the existing models/islands vom CWR and convert them to A2? together with CAA1 the existing CWR island pack works more or less but the problem is that the pack uses files form the A1 core addons and this cause crashes from time to time. but should be possible to be fixed and enhanced by the team.

is there any need to create the islands/models from the scratch?

it seems that a possible release is very far away so i expect for myself nothing in this year. i understand that you would like to achieve a proper quality standard instead of pure converting stuff.

no chance to use the existing models/islands vom CWR and convert them to A2? together with CAA1 the existing CWR island pack works more or less but the problem is that the pack uses files form the A1 core addons and this cause crashes from time to time. but should be possible to be fixed and enhanced by the team.

is there any need to create the islands/models from the scratch?

it seems that a possible release is very far away so i expect for myself nothing in this year. i understand that you would like to achieve a proper quality standard instead of pure converting stuff.

I'm no PR person, and I don't have all the answers, but I'll have a go at this.

1. As far as I know, CWR is what it is at its current beta state, and focus must now be maintained on CWR 2. I think that team members are supporting CWR for help with trouble shooting and such, and the CWR thread is being monitored and updated, but AFAIK, no plans exist to enhance it, or to support other mods (or ArmA 2).

2. Whatever the island guys are doing, it seems essential. I don't know if they are rebuilding them from scratch, but they seem busy.

3. A lot of assets for CWR were converted from OFP. This is not a tradition we wish to carry on. We are hard at work building new assets and collaborating with other addon makers to hopefully make CWR 2 an experience that does justice to the quality of the Cold War Campaign, and Resistance; and the technology of ArmA 2.

thanks for the update, the project sounds more ambitious than I expected :)

if i could put something on my wishlist, i would propose to create a replacement pack for A2 standard units or to create a tool to convert existing A2 mission by CWR2 units to give the community an easy opportunity to deliver missions. I know, it is an additional workload but a good invest to increase the popularity of the mod. maybe the leader of the PBODLL project can assist? :couch:

I have sad news to tell:

hoz informed me that Planck, our "workhorse" passed away wednesday night.

Plancks death surely will have a deep impact not only on CWR² development but also on the whole community. Besides adding the contributions to CWR² he also was part of OFPEC where he answered questions whenever he was able to, worked on the COMREF, the BI Wiki and moderated our forums here as well.

This is a very, very sad day not only for us at CWR but also the whole community.

Rest in peace Planck, you will be missed but atleast you are at a better place now.

Please use this thread for condolence posts, thanks.

Edited by W0lle

Wow that literally just hit me like a ton of bricks. Sad day indeed. Rest in piece bud, you will be missed. :(

i miss planck already. rest in peace friend.

Sorry to hear about Planck, I remember him back in 2001/2002 when we first started making islands for OFP. He helped me a lot making Skye island. :(

Oh, goddamn. Rest in Peace, Planck. That's terrible news - he was truly a stalwart of the community, here since the old old old old days before I had a BIS forums account. It's like Gastovski dying. :(

*Present, arms!*

Rest in peace, mate. :(

*Order, arms!*

Edited by Laqueesha

For the CWR Pro version, I have been investigating damage balancing systems. I have found a system that I am quite excited about. Using a system based on the Edge of the Sword system developed by Kevin Dockery (USAF, ret.) for calculating damage that encorperates bullet dimensions, energy, velocity, design, and terminal behaviour, I have uncovered a way of balancing damage from all small arms in a very precise and realistic way. The damage system is works by wound tract dimensions and energy transfer, and the equations actually fairly well predict the results we see on firearmstactical in terms of penetration depth and tissue disruption.

I have done quite a lot of research on the subject in preparation for this, and there are some things we can't really simulate at this time: high energy transfer to shattering bones, and direct hits to vital structures.

Not being an expert in addon implementation, I would like to pose some questions to the addon making community. Is it possible to affect how much body armour a bullet will pierce without affecting its damage? For instance, a jacketed hollowpoint will expand on impact, causing a wider wound tract and more energy transfer, equating to more damage done to the target. These rounds should not penetrate helmets or ballistic vests, however. Pragmatically, there is a lot of room to mess with bullet types other than full metal jacket rounds (tumbling or not) in CWR 2. There are hunting rifles used by the resistence that should use soft point ammunition, there is the model 686 magnum that should use semi wadcutter bullets, and there are the Skorpion machine pistols used by the Nogovan police force that should use heavy jacketed hollow points, and the CZ584 "Kozlice" that should shoot 7mm mauser hunting ammunition and 12 gauge bernekke slugs (or buck/bird shot if we can find a way to do that). These consideration affect the damage outcomes of the system quite a lot, but they are only useful if we can find a way to limit their armour penetration. If not, we must use full metal jacket simulations for all weapons.

Update

We're still alive and working on the Mod as fast and best as we can.

Thanks to the kind donations from ACE2, CSLA, RKSL and vilas we have a buch of vehicles and weapons already ingame. The Units are converted as well.

The islands will be completely overhauled (no more 50 meter cellsize) and new textures as well. Their completion might take a while though.

We will provide some screenshots next week to prove we haven't abandoned the Mod. ;)

However we need someone to help us with the config files (vehicles, planes, weapons etc.). We also still looking for model and texture artists so we can get rid of all the placeholders which are still left.

The more people help us out, the faster we can release the Mod. :)

thanks for the update :)

A question, in CWR for ArmA the US army guys were a bit.. blue.. if you know what I mean. Is this fixed/tuned? you guys using entirely new textures etc?

Thanks for the update. This is indeed very good news. Hope that you can find the people you guys are looking for. We will patiently wait until your done with your work. Looking forward to CWR in Arma II.

kind regards

thanks for the update :)

A question, in CWR for ArmA the US army guys were a bit.. blue.. if you know what I mean. Is this fixed/tuned? you guys using entirely new textures etc?

Hmm last time I checked them they were not a bit blue. :p

As of now we use just the converted models and textures from CWR and honestly I think the textures Ebud made back then are still very good.

However we're of course open for all suggestions and chances are good that a lot of things will change until the final release.

And I have another job offer for those who are hanging around all day with no idea what to do with their free time:

We urgently need an expert for writing/fixing model.cfg files.

Your task would be to either fix faulty model.cfg files as well as creating new ones from scratch for all kind of models: Weapons, Tanks, Cars etc.

It's also possible that we might release some little surprise by the end of this week (if all goes well that is).