Sign in to follow this  
froggyluv

Giving names to created groups

Ok, searched big time but couldn't find any help on this one. I'd like to know how to give identity to a created group leader.

WestGrp01 = CreateGroup West;
_leader = WestGrp01 createUnit ["GUE_Soldier_AR", [(getMarkerPos "bor") select 0,(getMarkerPos "bor") select 1,0], [], 3, "FORM"];
_unit = WestGrp01 createUnit ["GUE_Soldier_GL", [(getMarkerPos "bor") select 0,(getMarkerPos "bor") select 1,0], [], 3, "FORM"];
_unit = WestGrp01 createUnit ["GUE_Soldier_MG", [(getMarkerPos "bor") select 0,(getMarkerPos "bor") select 1,0], [], 3, "FORM"];
_unit = WestGrp01 createUnit ["GUE_Soldier_Medic", [(getMarkerPos "bor") select 0,(getMarkerPos "bor") select 1,0], [], 3, "FORM"];
_unit = WestGrp01 createUnit ["GUE_Soldier_GL", [(getMarkerPos "bor") select 0,(getMarkerPos "bor") select 1,0], [], 3, "FORM"];
_leader = leader WestGrp01;
_newGrp = (group _leader);
player hcSetGroup [_newgrp];

So I would think

_leader setidentity "john_doe"

would work but it doesn't. I am able to make "_leader sidechat ..." no problem but it always comes up 1-1-k-1:, and i'd like to be able to give him a name. John_doe is set in the Desciption and it works fine for units who start off in the mission but not for my created homies :(

Yep, actually tried that first but for one thing it cancelled out their role as subordinate in the high Command stuff and also it just didn't work. It seems that when naming units outside of the editor which of course is the only way with a created group, that they must be named in the beginning of the Init file or it won't show up. Perhaps, the created group is coming in too late for the name game. :confused:

Did you try to put the whole setIdentity thing in your created unit's inits (with setVehicleInit followed by processInitcommands)?

Maybe worth a try

Not sure quite what you mean. If you mean the above script as the Init, then yes but no go.I've also tried the Init.sqf whick works well for normal units but not these guys. I have _leader sidechat "blah blah blah" in the above and as soon as they spawn and it works fine but the, _leader setidentity "john_doe" , has no effect.

I looked at the biki for those commands you mentioned but I've never used them and don't really know them.

Using setVehicleInit would look like that :

WestGrp01 = CreateGroup West;
_leader = WestGrp01 createUnit ["GUE_Soldier_AR", [(getMarkerPos "bor") select 0,(getMarkerPos "bor") select 1,0], [], 3, "FORM"];
_leader setVehicleInit "this setIdentity 'john_doe'";
processInitcommands;
_unit = WestGrp01 createUnit ["GUE_Soldier_MG", [(getMarkerPos "bor") select 0,(getMarkerPos "bor") select 1,0], [], 3, "FORM"];
_unit = WestGrp01 createUnit ["GUE_Soldier_Medic", [(getMarkerPos "bor") select 0,(getMarkerPos "bor") select 1,0], [], 3, "FORM"];
_leader = leader WestGrp01;
_newGrp = (group _leader);
player hcSetGroup [_newgrp];

Thanks but still no go. John_Doe is legitimized in my description.ext but that particular group still chats with the tag 1-2-I or something of the sort.

i want to know an easy way of changing the name of the person talking too. Even if you get someone to speak its always a number like youve described A-1-1 "bla bla bla " not the name given in the editor.