Sign in to follow this  
nichevo

unusual AI behaviour based on host's position

This is a very odd problem.

I have a multiplayer mission where two players start on different parts of Utes, about 1 km apart. Next to each player is a boat. The boat is designed to drive away when the player walks away from it. This works fine when testing in the editor.

When I play multiplayer, the boat near my player (as the host) drives away properly. I ask my multiplayer testers about their boat, and at least half of the time they report that their boat does not move even though it should.

At first I thought that one of the boats was getting beached or something, but if my tester and I swap players the situation remains the same -- the boat near me works fine, the boat near him often fails.

I have tried this with other testers, too, so this isn't an issue with a tester's machine or a tester's pathological urge to lie.

Here is how I am moving the Russian player's boat:

• Trigger Condition: east_man distance east_boat > 20
  • Trigger On Act: east_boat_leave = true;
  • Boat's First Waypoint Condition: east_boat_leave

The US player's boat has a trigger and waypoint of its own that works exactly the same way, except replacing "east" with "west".

I could probably guess at trying a few things but I really don't like to over-work my testers in testing my hunches. If anyone could offer some advice or ideas that would be great. :)

Edited by nichevo

Are the west_man and east_man variables being communicated to the server reliably? I would expect that on a dedicated server, both boats would not move.

Are the west_man and east_man variables being communicated to the server reliably? I would expect that on a dedicated server, both boats would not move.

Nothing fancy here. West_man and east_man are in the name fields of the units in question. The boats are named in a similar fashion. :confused:

I should probably mention that these variable seem to work a charm in all other scripts -- the scripts detecting deaths and the cutscenes showing one player and then the other are working fine, even from the perspective of the client playtesters.