Sign in to follow this  
Solus

SLX Mod WIP

Had some hours of fun last night with SLX.

Did not test which .pbo cause the pauses but I did notice that on my end it only happened the first time I loaded a scenario, after that I could restart the same scenario without any pauses.

Now I'm not sure but it could be that it was even so that it only occured the first time I played ANY scenario with a fresh start-up of ArmAII and after that I could switch between anything but I'm not so sure about that.

I did have two or three complete lock-ups due to the pauses. I could ctrl+alt+del my way out of the game though.

At this point I only noticed the AI being more active and they flank way faster than before. I had some occasions where I saw AI healing each other, and even had my team leader call HQ for medic support I had placed on the map.

But I need a better town to test in, with some more open houses to see AI use that. Any suggestions?

Being playing this for 8 hours straight... It's really improved game play alot. Just a few things i noticed that you might like to know.

things discovered:

1. pauses for a few seconds

2. constant "thumping" sound when someone fire. sounds like drum playing in school band.

3. Sometimes AI will put down their weapons then pick it up again even when enemy is just in front. not sure whether this is a feature in game.

4. sometimes AI will shoot at wall when enemy is far behind wall.

5. AI do not occupy driver seat and instead occupy all other seats and waiting.

All in all this is really great mod! love it.

btw, does this mod works with cent's stick2gether AI mod? Thanks

This was pretty neat. :)

I will test more when i get home from work, but i noticed the reticule addon (forgot name) that gives us some different new reticules seems to be off when using either this addon or CBA. Also noticed grenades thrown change direction slightly (looks weird but not big impact on gameplay) when they come to their peak arc. They turn right.

But not sure as i said if its CBA or this addon. Maybe someone else can check. Will report when i get home.

But yes this is real good. Dropped in a bunch of AI and they did indeed fight much longer than usual. Thanks for the hard work. :)

Alex

But I need a better town to test in, with some more open houses to see AI use that. Any suggestions?

Have you tried going back to Sahrani in CAA1? There seems to be a lot more open houses in some of the towns there.

Kremator: If I could do anything to make the AIs work better in CQB I would, but I can't think of much more to do unless I can replicate the situation consistently and test for things that can be done. Usually the AIs seem to do okay at somewhat close range in the editor. Can you please describe the situation where the AIs didn't work in CQB?

Shadow NX: I'll test again but the "counterstrike" mission worked fine for me before. Maybe the AI leader is running ahead too fast.

paragraphic l: I've only ever had it freeze for up to a minute or two, and I don't think I've ever had to ctrl-alt-del ArmA2, and I've only had it crash on one repeatable occasion (russian civilian player talking to russian civilian).

Muahaha: Please describe in more detail the AIs putting weapons down, the thumping sound, and AI not occupying the driver seat, what situation did it happen in? The AIs putting weapons down could be them bandaging themselves. SLX stuff should work with stick2gether, I don't think there should be any significant conflict.

Sure solus.

On Utes, I placed two groups in the editor, one in a compound and the other patrolling past. The patrolling group spotted the enemy and started to fire and maneuver into the compound. I was watching from 3rd person view behind a wall! On several occassions I saw either the enemy or the patrolling squad come face to face with eachother, only to run past again looking for cover!

Don't get me wrong this is superb but doesn't quite do it in CQB (and I know it is perhaps not your problem mate !)

Question. I want to put this on a dedi server but I keep getting SLX_Modweapons not found, even though SLX_Modweapons_c.pbo is there. Any ideas ?

solus i will check again with only slx active and a fresh rpt file. It happened after a long test period with lots of restarts of one editor mission. The sound looped and I waited for a minute or 5 after that I shut the game down.

System was warm at that point.

I had a crash this morning when shooting the tire of the russian APC with the big weels, there was a lot going on but I crashed the second the weel dissapeared, will check without slx and if i can reproduce it.

Edited by ParaGraphic L

Muahaha: Please describe in more detail the AIs putting weapons down, the thumping sound, and AI not occupying the driver seat, what situation did it happen in? The AIs putting weapons down could be them bandaging themselves. SLX stuff should work with stick2gether, I don't think there should be any significant conflict.

I am play testing SLX in the editor, with mod CAA1,cent stick2gather and VOPsound 2.1 in beta v.58834 on map avgani 1.5.

I created 2 opfor group on guard command and 1 blufor motorized group to seek n destroy. while i watch as civillian.

The observation I have on AI putting down their weapon is when they kneel down, put their weapon down and pick it up slowly again, don't believe AIs are bandaging themselves as no bandaging animation is shown.

Thumping sound - sounds like constant firing of heavy weapon at a consistent interval.

AI don't take the driver seat is when all passengers got killed yet the car is drivable, 4 new AI goes into the car occupy all seats except the driver seat and just idling there. note that the car is a 5 passenger car with 4 seated and 1 mounting the 50cal.

I guess the crucial part is AI firing into the wall or trying to throw grenade over building. end up alot of times killing themselves when firing explosives or the grenade bounced back.

Hope my explanation make sense. THanks

Edited by Muahaha

I think the thumping noise happens when you are using VOPsound.

However, when I stopped using VOP with SLX, I found that the bullet 'crack' sound to be a bit thinny...

This is really good stuff solus! SLX just compliments Arma2 so much better than Arma especially due to infantry's much improved pathfinding and use of cover and corners.

How do I activate the Gibs? I don't think they are on by default as I've tried blowing up people with multiple GBU12-LGB's but no dismemberment. Is the on/off switch located in Slx/Wounds/config.cpp file?

Also is there a way to keep your AI from repeatedly declaring "Enemy objects to our front"?

Edited by froggyluv

Here's the update, most stuff should be fixed.

http://www.filefront.com/14424389/SLX_Mod_ArmA2_1.1.rar

Mirrors are appreciated! Please post a link in the thread with "mirror" in the post and people can use the thread search to find them. Thanks!

Some specific changes:

Added SLX_Shout to make AIs say stuff.

Added SLX_VehicleEffects: Damage effects on vehicles.

Added SLX_Melee: Hand-to-hand weapons.

Fixed most .RPT errors.

Fixed reload shout after loading save games.

Fixed taking captives.

Fixed AIs overcrowding buildings.

Fixed dragging get out/eject/move to back stuff.

Fixed grenade launchers.

Added glass impact dust.

Increased aiming speed in CfgAISkill.

Faster civil crouch dying animations.

Fixed some missing dialogue.

Added street lights and headlights replacement.

Separated no crosshairs into another addon.

Fixed rocket fire effect.

Fixed wounded animation hit bounce effect.

Suppressive fire positions now called "positions" so AIs should report them as "enemy positions to our front" etc.

Fixed utility ammo so vopsound won't conflict anymore. Should be fully VopSound compatible now.

And a few more.

I still need to find what is causing the occasional lag pause and to look into the AIs occasionally putting weapons down.

Kremator: I tested the CQB situation a bit and it seemed to work fine most of the time. It could be the raised aiming speed that's helping.

froggyluv: I'll look into the gibs later.

In real life (and in Standart ArmA2) NURS C-8 and Gidra is unguided rockets.

But in SLX-mod you can Lock target, and will see Bug :)

Solus..... many thanks for listening !

Just loving, I'll say again LOVING, this work.

/bow

I still need to find what is causing the occasional lag pause and to look into the AIs occasionally putting weapons down.

Yeah Solus, the lag happens when your mod tries to activate the gib script, after explosion next to a soldier(s).

The gibs are not activated either :( and would be nice to see some blood explosion, and spawned gore on the ground, and for bonus, maybe new textures :D replace the burnt gibs with gibs that are all bloody and mangled, with bits of clothing still attached, Maybe add some ripped flesh some where in there, that would be cool :D

Very Very nice addon, the best there is! :)

Edited by Flarmapoint 2

OK Solus,

Have done a little testing. There seems to be LOTS of shouting 'Target the man', 'Target that position' but very little firing.

For testing I put 2 opposing infantry squads on the runway in Utes. I gave the BLUFOR a seek and destroy WP on the OPFOR and once spotted (which actually was very close (I think this needs to be sorted) there was just lots of shouting, lots of maneuvering, very little suppressing from both sides.

Okay played around with the latest version.

Biggest 'issue' I noticed is that AI do shoot other units but because of the wounding system they don't always kill them. So you end up with longer fights due to the AI not 'finishing the job' and I don't mean when you injure a unite and they go on their back and start crying and such, just when they have the 1sec. animation and get back up again, which happens almost everytime you shoot a unit for the first time in a critical spot.

I believe there could be some more randomness or at least some faster kills be made some times, but also the AI should know when they killed there target or just hit it and shoot once more to make sure they aren't a threat after that.

Also had to CTD's this evening but that could be anything, haven't pin-pointed the causes, I didn't use just SLX.

Error position: <COC_ARTY1G]!=SLX_Null)>
 Error Undefined variable in expression: coc_arty1g
Error in expression <ot) && (alive _unit)) || (isNull driver _aircraft) || (getpos _aircraft select 2>
 Error position: <_aircraft) || (getpos _aircraft select 2>

these show up lots of time in the .rpt and I have no idea how to read the .mdmp that's made for the last ctd.

But overal great experience once more I love the shouting, with the previous version I had the feeling I saw the text of both friend and foe being displayed I do believe this is fixed now. One thing though, when my own character shouts "Contact" and "Enemies Spotted" it is really important I actually do see them myself or get an hint of where they might be, but I rather just not shout it at all.

PS: do you have a new bug-tracker up anywhere? ahaportal is still up but not active and I saw you posting at dev-heaven.net might be usefull to have SLX up there as well?

thank you very much for the time you put into this mod.

a few things that bother me though.

*My guy goes into a prone position all by himself at times during combat..I would prefer to choose when that happens, especially when it happens as I'm trying to put rounds down range (this has happened while I was behind the cover of a building not in harms way at all)

*The exaggerated breathing get's annoying especially when you are perfectly healthy/behind cover and are about to try and engage the enemy but can't because for some reason you are breathing so hard you can't maintain a proper sight picture.

*At approximately 150m I have had to put one and a half mags (45 rounds) into an enemy center of mass in order to kill him.

*AI block doorways and stairwells.

*Enemy AI use smoke as a "cover" instead of a wall or building right next to them ..example they drop smoke (VFAI - AI Extension Mod) and all converge in it (perhaps that is a VFAI issue)

other then that superb work, I did however turn a few things off like the weapon and bullet sounds as they to be honest were not very good.

KUDOS to you! can't wait for a polished product that kicks ass.

some exsample missions in arma2 would be nice for the melee weapons and the other cool functions.

Also you may wish to look into the new Bis tools as it has a better paa compression

Mirrors are appreciated! Please post a link in the thread with "mirror" in the post and people can use the thread search to find them. Thanks!

Some specific changes:

Added SLX_Shout to make AIs say stuff.

Added SLX_VehicleEffects: Damage effects on vehicles.

Added SLX_Melee: Hand-to-hand weapons.

Fixed most .RPT errors.

Fixed reload shout after loading save games.

Fixed taking captives.

Fixed AIs overcrowding buildings.

Fixed dragging get out/eject/move to back stuff.

Fixed grenade launchers.

Added glass impact dust.

Increased aiming speed in CfgAISkill.

Faster civil crouch dying animations.

Fixed some missing dialogue.

Added street lights and headlights replacement.

Separated no crosshairs into another addon.

Fixed rocket fire effect.

Fixed wounded animation hit bounce effect.

Suppressive fire positions now called "positions" so AIs should report them as "enemy positions to our front" etc.

Fixed utility ammo so vopsound won't conflict anymore. Should be fully VopSound compatible now.

And a few more.

Kremator: I tested the CQB situation a bit and it seemed to work fine most of the time. It could be the raised aiming speed that's helping.

froggyluv: I'll look into the gibs later.

Unless the first post already contains the latest update then ignore me (alot like my daughters do :D ), otherwise it might be worth updating your original thread URL to reflect the latest vesion (as you might not have 'readers' checking out the entire thread and thus missing the latest file update) :)

Edited by LondonLad

HI Solus

Going to give this a go but Im wondering if the studdering problem has to do with CBA vs your mod? When I use CBA I notice a studder but Im trying to figure out what is going on with it. Any thoughts?

First off, Been a big fan of this mod since OFP days, and to see it come to Arma 2 was a big shock and I couldn't wait to play it. Now after playing it for a few hours I have a few thoughts on v1.1. My biggest frustration is when I shoot down a plane or blow up a soft armored target, there are no flames or smoke or anything. This isn't a game breaker but it does take some of the immersion away. The chatter and voice in the game creates a new amount of immersion, such as when a teammate is giving you cover fire and then shouts "reloading!" then you know that you need to find cover quick. Firefights seem more realistic now and with the new wounds system, the fear of being shot increases when you never know the damage it can do. Once again this is just a few of my thoughts on the WIP mod. Great job!

The missing sights is a bit troublesome. Solus got a fix for enabling it again ?

When combined with VFAI the AI almost bend double trying to throw a smoke grenade beside them !

@SemperFi01 - I'm sure Solus will get around to it eventually.