Sign in to follow this  
Solus

SLX Mod WIP

Yeah catching fire when hit by high velocity ammo is in since OFP SLX I believe.

But it doesn't happen that often, which makes it a nice feature IMO. :)

@Solus: Great work with the updates, with latest beta game feels smoother. :)

AI never stops amazing me!

fabrizio_T: Cool!

Protegimus: The AI seem to work fine at close range so far, although that's just from them hearing me shooting from behind, not visual spotting.

Sky999: No idea why it's not working for you, sorry. Make sure SLX_Wounds is in your arma2\@SLX\addons\ folder. Also try reproducing the VSS bug before it's fixed in the next version.

Laqueesha: Thanks for spotting that! It's a problem with the typical speed setting being too low, BIS thinking that a bullet should apply their damage value at a certain hit speed. Typicalspeed causes bullets to do a particular amount of damage at a certain speed, and scales damage for speeds less than or greater than that speed. But different typicalspeed settings kill any kind of standardized hit values and cause inconsistencies like this, although you won't notice it in the default game because all hits are just instantly lethal, there's no damage scale effects. My standard typicalspeed setting is 900 for bullets so they have a standard damage scale based on their dimensions and hit speed so the larger and faster a bullet is, the more damage it does, which drops over distance as it slows down. The default ArmA 2 9x39 was set to do about the damage of a 10mm bullet at 150 mps hit speed with typicalspeed, and was fired with a muzzle velocity of about 300 mps, which caused it to do 2x damage, the damage of a 20mm bullet at close range, which of course would probably dismember someone.

TimRiceSE: Explosive ammo can set things on fire.

Para: Yep, it was explosives and tracers that would set things on fire, cool in an MG ambush like the pictures I took for OFP SLX. I haven't made it for tracers yet, I haven't looked into it much. Possibly checking the model/name of the shot could tell if the fired round is a tracer p3d or null shape for ball.

Also I'm thinking of making the bullet sounds more modular and asking a sound modder to do different close/far sounds for the different kinds of shots. Distant pistol, rifle, MG, and arty firing sounds.

[LB] boggler: Sorry, I'll make some in a future version, but for now it's not ready just yet.

Edited by Solus

Hi Solus, im surprised about the SLX mod still has no serverkeys yet.

Is it so complicate to create some besign and bikey files?

Would be really great if you can make some and my mates and me can finally use ur SLX on public servers. :D

I guess the bigger problem is that one needs a key for every single pbo, and with the speed he updates there are quite a few for admins to change.

And also, SLX DOES NOT WORK ON SERVERS THAT DOES NOT RUN SLX. IT WILL CRASH THE SERVER. Lots of nice changes come at a cost ^^

I just have to say that the explosion sound volume from crashing aircrafts is something every sound modder should take after. An aircraft smashing into the ground even pretty far away will casuse a very loud bang. Just love when a plane crashes far away and behind some hill in SLX. The loud muffled bang in the distance is chilling. :)

Relemar: Why so big lag

SLX makes the AI do more. I notice myself in a UPS script mission i have that it lags quite a lot more than usual. On the other hand the AI is very nice. Seeing an AI side step into cover with a human like animation is crazy. :) Then when that AI's buddy gets shot and injured beside him you see an arm coming out from the cover dragging that mate into cover LOL! Im thinking sometimes if im in MP or SP. :D

By the way, what's with taking damage from shooting into the ground 2m beside oneself? Empty a mag with an assault rifle into the ground 1-2m away and one commits suicide with the splash damage. o0

---------- Post added at 08:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:35 PM ----------

We're currently in the process of evaluating SLX on the TG servers atm, and we do crash regularily, getting memory leaks of 10MB/second on occasion.

Unfortunately I haven't seen any script-errors for those occasions, so it seems to be a logical bug rather than something else.

Have got a bunch of other script-errors though. I'll be posting a parse of the RPT log once we're done, trying to filter out what's mission bugs from what's SLX bugs.

Sorry if this has been spoken about, but I lack the time to search after it.

If I fire a weapon, I can hear the "crack" even behind of it. I don't know if it's a sound bug or if it is realistic, that's why I'm asking.

Sorry if this has been spoken about, but I lack the time to search after it.

If I fire a weapon, I can hear the "crack" even behind of it. I don't know if it's a sound bug or if it is realistic, that's why I'm asking.

Personally i like it, makes me crap my pants.

Edit: the whole thing with the sonic cracks reminds me a lot of a certain scene in the movie Heat. very cool. I need to stop using full auto so much now though. :(

Edited by TimRiceSE

Okay, here's the first batch of RPT errors. There are probably several errors in there that are because of mission bugs or that are BIS network errors, but included them to be on the safe side. Enjoy the read!

// SINGLE OCCASION. NO IDEA FROM WHAT

Client: Object (id 4:18, type Type_121) is local - update is ignored.

// SINGLE OCCASION.

Duplicate weapon ItemGPS detected for FR_Commander

Duplicate weapon ItemMap detected for FR_Commander

Duplicate weapon ItemCompass detected for FR_Commander

Duplicate weapon ItemWatch detected for FR_Commander

Duplicate weapon ItemRadio detected for FR_Commander

// REPEATED ~10 TIMES. SINGLE OCCASION.

Group B 1-1-H (0x37f54c18) - network ID 2:931

- no main subgroup

// REPEATED A FEW TIMES. SINGLE OCCASION.

WARNING: Function 'name' - s6 has no unit

- network id 8:58

- person W-Cephei

// SINGLE OCCASION

Error: post effect with priority 170 already exist.

Post process effect creation failed

// OCCASIONAL ERROR

Obsolete CfgSkeletons for SLX_DroppedWeaponSkel, move to model.cfg

// RARE ERROR. ALL OCCASIONS FOUND LISTED

Ref to nonnetwork object 14418800# 1062951: slx_empty.p3d

Ref to nonnetwork object 17e6ec00# 1063067: slx_empty.p3d

Ref to nonnetwork object 17b7a400# 1062977: slx_empty.p3d

Ref to nonnetwork object 182a3400# 176692: slx_empty.p3d

// SEQUENCE HAPPENED ONCE. MISSION OR SLX?

Remote entity want to supply: O 1-1-D:11 REMOTE

Remote entity want to supply: O 1-1-C:9 REMOTE

// HAPPENED ONCE. MISSION OR SLX?

Group respawn processed locally: R 1-1-A:1 (Inkompetent) -> NULL

// HAPPENED TWICE IN ONE SEQUENCE

Error in expression <

_who setHit [_this select 1, _who getVariable>

Error position: <setHit [_this select 1, _who getVariable>

Error Type Any, expected Number

WARNING: Function 'name' - 12c2f800# 1055287: soldier_com.p3d has no unit

- network id 2:130

- person Inkompetent

- dead

// SINGLE OCCASION

Ref to nonnetwork object 15333800# 1079225: a_buildingwip_ruins.p3d

// REPEATED ~10 TIMES. SINGLE OCCASION

Group R 1-1-K (0x39fb6018) - network ID 2:3842

- no main subgroup

// SINGLE OCCASION

Error: cannot load sound 'ca\dubbing\global\radio\male02\cz\core\targets\from.wss', header cannot be loaded.

Error: cannot load sound 'ca\dubbing\global\radio\female03\cz\report\blizko.wss', header cannot be loaded.

Error: cannot load sound 'ca\dubbing\global\radio\female03\cz\side\enemy.wss', header cannot be loaded.

// OCCASIONALLY MASS-REPEATING ERROR. ISLAND? MISSION? SLX? DIFFERENT OBJECT-NUMBERS AND TYPES DIFFERENT TIMES

Client: Object 7:173 (type Type_67) not found.

Client: Object 14:167 (type Type_69) not found.

// RARE ERROR IN A FEW DIFFERENT VARIATIONS

Client: Object (id 10:166, type Type_82) is local - update is ignored.

// RARE ERROR. ALL EXAMPLES FOUND LISTED

Client: Nonnetwork object 14d77400.

Client: Nonnetwork object 13b52000.

Client: Nonnetwork object 14954800.

Client: Nonnetwork object 11a65800.

Client: Nonnetwork object 14e44800.

Client: Nonnetwork object 14e46000.

// RARE ERROR, BUT WHEN IT OCCURS IT REPEATS FROM A FEW TIMES, TO HUNDREDS OF TIMES

Error in expression <unit)||(isplayer leader _unit))&&(count SLX_Groups>0)>

Error position: <SLX_Groups>0)>

Error Undefined variable in expression: slx_groups

// REPEATED SEVERAL HUNDRED TIMES IN THESE VARIATIONS

Cannot use magazine 10Rnd_9x39_SP5_VSS in muzzle RPG18

Cannot use magazine 10Rnd_9x39_SP5_VSS in muzzle MakarovSD

Cannot use magazine 10Rnd_9x39_SP5_VSS in muzzle SLX_OKC3S_Bayonet_Knife_Item

Cannot use magazine 30Rnd_545x39_AK in muzzle NVGoggles

Cannot use magazine 30Rnd_545x39_AK in muzzle HandGrenade_Stone

Cannot use magazine 30Rnd_545x39_AK in muzzle HandGrenadeMuzzle

Cannot use magazine HandGrenade_East in muzzle PipeBombMuzzle

Cannot use magazine SmokeShell in muzzle MineMuzzle

// RARE ERROR. APPEARED IN SEQUENCE OF ABOUT 100 LINES

Bad action name searchlight_Gunner - not found in WmnStandAction

// THE CAUSE OF THE 5-10MB/SECOND MEMORY LEAK? REPEATED IN INSTANCES OF TENS OF THOUSANDS OF LINES OF TEXT

Error in expression <<NULL-script>>

Error position: <<NULL-script>>

Error Invalid number in expression

// RARE ERROR

Error in expression <letevehicle _dropweapon; SLX_weapon_arr=SLX_weapon_arr - [_dropweapon]; exit>

Error position: <SLX_weapon_arr - [_dropweapon]; exit>

Error Undefined variable in expression: slx_weapon_arr

// SINGLE OCCASION

Cannot find base Ural_Base for bin\config.bin/CfgVehicles/UralRepair_Base/

Cannot find base Ural_Base for bin\config.bin/CfgVehicles/UralRefuel_Base/

Cannot find base Ural_Base_withTurret for bin\config.bin/CfgVehicles/Ural_Base/

// SINGLE OCCASION

Warning Message: class 'bin\config.bin/CfgVehicles/StaticMGWeapon/Turrets/MainTurret/ViewOptics/' is not defined ('initAngleY' accessed)

Warning Message: '/' is not a value

Warning Message: class 'bin\config.bin/CfgVehicles/StaticMGWeapon/Turrets/MainTurret/ViewOptics/' is not defined ('minAngleY' accessed)

Warning Message: class 'bin\config.bin/CfgVehicles/StaticMGWeapon/Turrets/MainTurret/ViewOptics/' is not defined ('maxAngleY' accessed)

Warning Message: class 'bin\config.bin/CfgVehicles/StaticMGWeapon/Turrets/MainTurret/ViewOptics/' is not defined ('initAngleX' accessed)

Warning Message: class 'bin\config.bin/CfgVehicles/StaticMGWeapon/Turrets/MainTurret/ViewOptics/' is not defined ('minAngleX' accessed)

Warning Message: class 'bin\config.bin/CfgVehicles/StaticMGWeapon/Turrets/MainTurret/ViewOptics/' is not defined ('maxAngleX' accessed)

Warning Message: class 'bin\config.bin/CfgVehicles/StaticMGWeapon/Turrets/MainTurret/ViewOptics/' is not defined ('initFov' accessed)

Warning Message: class 'bin\config.bin/CfgVehicles/StaticMGWeapon/Turrets/MainTurret/ViewOptics/' is not defined ('minFov' accessed)

Warning Message: class 'bin\config.bin/CfgVehicles/StaticMGWeapon/Turrets/MainTurret/ViewOptics/' is not defined ('maxFov' accessed)

Warning Message: class 'bin\config.bin/CfgVehicles/StaticMGWeapon/Turrets/MainTurret/ViewOptics/' is not defined ('initAngleY' accessed)

Warning Message: class 'bin\config.bin/CfgVehicles/StaticMGWeapon/Turrets/MainTurret/ViewOptics/' is not defined ('minAngleY' accessed)

Warning Message: class 'bin\config.bin/CfgVehicles/StaticMGWeapon/Turrets/MainTurret/ViewOptics/' is not defined ('maxAngleY' accessed)

Warning Message: class 'bin\config.bin/CfgVehicles/StaticMGWeapon/Turrets/MainTurret/ViewOptics/' is not defined ('initAngleX' accessed)

Warning Message: class 'bin\config.bin/CfgVehicles/StaticMGWeapon/Turrets/MainTurret/ViewOptics/' is not defined ('minAngleX' accessed)

Warning Message: class 'bin\config.bin/CfgVehicles/StaticMGWeapon/Turrets/MainTurret/ViewOptics/' is not defined ('maxAngleX' accessed)

Warning Message: class 'bin\config.bin/CfgVehicles/StaticMGWeapon/Turrets/MainTurret/ViewOptics/' is not defined ('initFov' accessed)

Warning Message: class 'bin\config.bin/CfgVehicles/StaticMGWeapon/Turrets/MainTurret/ViewOptics/' is not defined ('minFov' accessed)

Warning Message: class 'bin\config.bin/CfgVehicles/StaticMGWeapon/Turrets/MainTurret/ViewOptics/' is not defined ('maxFov' accessed)

Hi everyone. I've just joined and first I want to say well done to Solus for creating such a great mod. It really improves the realism within the game.

I just have one issue with the SLX mod though. I have the latest version (1.8) and I've noticed that in battles, the AI soldiers engage the enemy as expected. However they continue to fire even after all of the enemies have been eliminated. They keep on shooting at the target even though there's no one there. Sometimes the target will fly off into the sky and the soldiers will continue to fire at it, even when it's in the sky. I think it has something to do with the SLX_GL3.pbo. I've tried using the SLX_GL3.pbo file from version 1.5, and this issue does not occur. Does anyone experience anything similar?

Thanks

Chris

Hi everyone. I've just joined and first I want to say well done to Solus for creating such a great mod. It really improves the realism within the game.

I just have one issue with the SLX mod though. I have the latest version (1.8) and I've noticed that in battles, the AI soldiers engage the enemy as expected. However they continue to fire even after all of the enemies have been eliminated. They keep on shooting at the target even though there's no one there. Sometimes the target will fly off into the sky and the soldiers will continue to fire at it, even when it's in the sky. I think it has something to do with the SLX_GL3.pbo. I've tried using the SLX_GL3.pbo file from version 1.5, and this issue does not occur. Does anyone experience anything similar?

Thanks

Chris

I don't know whether your report represents a bug or not, but I suggest that it could be seen as realistic behavior. Myself I'm often compelled to put a few extra rounds into a body that might not be dead, especially if I expect to move through that area. Since SLX I cannot rely on seeing a body fall as evidence that it died :) which I think is a great idea. Several times I've been surprised by units that have recovered enough to cause me trouble later on :)

Well, the thing is that in SLX they can be putting suppressive fire onto an area several minutes after the last person there is dead or incapacitated, with no AI being able to see any survivors. I guess it's just that they don't actually see they kill them either, and thus never confirm a target as dead. And since they can't see the corpse they keep shooting.

That's my theory of course, which might be wrong, but seeing half a platoon plus BMPs put down suppressive fire for minutes is both awesome and ridicilous ^^

I understand what you're saying. I think it's a great idea too. It's just that sometimes the AI soldiers aim upwards into the sky and shoot at for an infinite amount of time, or until their ammo runs out. This occurs after they have eliminated all of the enemy soldiers in sight. The red target i.e. red circle that they aim towards actually moves from the enemy position, into the sky. The AI then follow this target and shoot at it.

Chris

Ohhh, also! A lil' request! Would it be possible to let LMGs (or MMGs as well if it can't be helped) reload on the move without going through overly much trouble?

IRL it's no problem really to reload a SAW on the move, and even though I love the longer reload speeds it feels annoying to have to stop to reload such a light weapon, when all other things can be reloaded on the move.

I don't mind if the M240 and PK variants aren't reloadable on the move though, since they are much heavier and bulkier weapon systems.

Which PBO is responsible for the firecracker type gun sounds? Also I find that I cannot aim with most vehicle mounted machine guns as there is not reticule. Which PBO do I need to remove for that to go away? Aiming is impossible. I love the rest of the mod tho, top notch!

Probably the one and only PBO file that has 'sounds' in it for sounds? :P

And the one is REALLY self-explanatory as well. Just look at the PBOs and you'll find it.

Inkompetent: Thank you very much for testing on the server! That huge bug is bizarre, do you think you could try testing for which pbo is causing it by testing while removing one at a time? How long does it take for it to appear? How many players are there? What mission? I fixed the script errors, thanks! Wounded client AIs should now be able to call for help from other groups.

Also the indirect hit on bullets is from the damage system, it probably shouldn't do so much damage at that range but the A2 (and OFP/A1) damage system seems a bit weird in that way since the indirect hit range is .2 meters. I guess it does make a little sense in that the bullets could be throwing out some debris/dust that could do a little damage, but it wouldn't have a cumulative effect. I saw something about a minimum damage thing in the new betas so maybe something could be done with that.

I don't know about reloading the M249 on the move, it seems about as complex as the other MG reloads, even if it is lighter. Do you know of someone that has experience reloading M249s or other machine guns while walking/running?

Banderas: Technically you should be able to hear the sound of the bullet when shooting it, however I'm not so sure if that's what it should sound like to the shooter. The modular bullet sounds should allow sound modders to play with things though, and if there's some more documentation/research on how bullet sounds sound to the shooter then I might be able to change things to be more technically correct. Ideally someone would record video and sound of supersonic and subsonic bullets being fired from different kinds of suppressed weapons from all angles and distances, then the sounds as fired by the same weapons without suppressors to give a full understanding of the bullet sounds and the gun sounds from different angles and distances.

After watching some videos it seems like maybe the very loud close range sound would be when the bullet passes by, like the default supersonic sounds, and they should continue on at a reduced volume once the bullet stops since the high speed air displacement vibrations should continue going forward so someone on the other side of a wall that a bullet hits should hear a slightly reduced close supersonic bullet sound and from behind the shooter the close sound would be only slightly audible. This is all difficult to simulate though, so the present solution might be what we have to stick with.

Chris Willocks: Thanks! It could be related to the suppressFor commands, although the targets should get deleted when the enemy is wiped out or wounded. The AIs could just be suppressing perceived positions of the wounded/dead, or even their perceived positions of the deleted targets. I'll look into adding some "_x suppressFor 0" commands to when the AIs should stop shooting.

Edited by Solus

I know that in the Swedish military they practice to reload it while both jogging and walking, and that's with the 200 round rigid box, and not the 100 round bag.

Thing is that it's not that troublesome to hold the 7kg Minimi in one hand and holding 3kg of ammo with the other and put the box in place. After all the gunner can just drop his weapon and let it hang by sling while picking up the box from the combat vest, if he can't pull out a box with one hand.

Secondly, on supersonic cracks, the firer of the weapon won't hear it, since the bullet never passes him. What little wizz/crack/snap that can be heard from the bullet travelling away from him will be drowned out (and likely deflected, but I don't know the exactness of that) by the muzzle blast of the weapon. Thus you'll only hear bullets flying past you. Not those fired by you. :)

Edited by Inkompetent

Ok, the reload on the move is back, and I'll try doing some tests to reduce the loud supersonic sound for the shooter while still having it with a wide enough range for people downrange. Bullets hitting something close will have a louder sound though, but that might be ok if it somewhat simulates the sound reflection off of a wall or something.

Thank you bhaz! Videos are great since I can't get high quality or speed on my laptop for testing. I'll see what I can do about the position targeting, maybe just removing them entirely will work ok with the default suppressive fire now.

I don't know if it was compression from Xfire or what, but the SFX seemed to lack definition in this video. Very squishy or scratchy sounding.

I had to stop watching, the squad leader's constant "Target that ...." commands were getting extremely annoying. I've been using some addon that decreases the number of radio transmissions.

That guy seriously needs to take a breath between transmissions.

I don't know whether your report represents a bug or not, but I suggest that it could be seen as realistic behavior. Myself I'm often compelled to put a few extra rounds into a body that might not be dead, especially if I expect to move through that area. Since SLX I cannot rely on seeing a body fall as evidence that it died :) which I think is a great idea. Several times I've been surprised by units that have recovered enough to cause me trouble later on :)

First of all, GREAT mod! This should have been built in the game!

As above post, I have noticed same issue, my team members firing and throwing grenades long after enemy has been terminated. It is like they are firing on ghosts ..

Great mod though!

A quick questions: Can it be used with sound mods?