Sign in to follow this  
Solus

SLX Mod WIP

to be honest, the mod requires mission makers to THINK differently. just playing through a campaign/mission made for vanilla will always make things differently.

The key to a good mission is always understanding the ai, be it how they respond to scripts/instructions/triggers etc to pure combat behaviour.

The AI in the stock game is an improvement over the older BIS games, but its still has work to be done, and luckily people out there are able to tweak it to more a more realstic potential.

Here's another example. Insertions have to be miles away from the enemy so the pilot does not take defensive measures and abort landing. Who wants to spend the first part of the mission walking a few miles? Tried to work around this, but it just doesn't work. Many other missions and campaigns suffer from the same problem with SLX. If I make my campaign compatible with SLX who's to say it will be usable with ACE when it comes out and so on. Mission makers will have to choose there platform to mod from and I think that creates confusion. I think SLX is great, but this will deff become an issue quick with mission makers.

I know what you mean by chopper insertions.... I tried to make a mission myself where we get taken in by chopper, but it always changes course, and sometimes crashes into a mountain.... Don't know if this does happen without the mod though.

Can some one help me make disemberent work? How did you guys get yours to work?

Edited by bezzzy

aha to be fair, in my missions i usually make helo insertions to be a human activity, i like to give my clan a good wide range of activities. I never trust the ai with helo insertions, vanilla or SLX. It usually has to be heavily scripted to work properly.

My impressions after playing for a few hours are mixed. I love the new bullet impact effects and the rockets on choppers are epic. The AI are very different now, lots of units doing things you dont expect. Not always realistically though. Alot of the time I had units getting in cars and trying to escape even if I was hugely outnumbered. And there are some serious animation problems. Units running on the spot and some very jerky transitions. One of the death animations I saw was great, the others not so good. BIS did a fantastic job with the animations. Making them in some respects look like rag-dolls. Mabey no need to change them...

Hollow point can you reupload your copy of SLX mod? I'm itching to try it out.

Huh? Sorry fella but I dont know how to do that. I cant remember where I downloaded it from...:o

I just tried it, the AI is very different which is nice but a lot of it is not for the better. First of all they move around too much.

It's cool seeing your squad leader issue move orders but it isn't very realistic and a lot of them stand out in the open and I mean A LOT. Most of them were sitting ducks that just ran around everywhere or standing just asking to get their head shot off.

Also the squad leader seems to issue a lot of commands randomly. Why does he tell me to hold fire for one second and then tell me to start firing again? It also seems like your squad leader has a pair of magic eyes which means he can see everything his people he is commanding are seeing. Compared to the default AI when an AI saw someone he would report it on the radio and then the squad leader would tell them to engage, in here when the group was far away enough that they couldn't identify eachother my squad leader reported nothing until I decided to zoom in with my ACOG scope and then he yelled "CONTACT!".

I saw some cool things that the AI would do that I would never expect such as getting into buildings and climbing ladders but most of the time they just climbed on the ladder and then walked backwards and ran off the roof and died(which is bad albeit hilarious).

The death animations are not trying to be offensive but terrible. I shoot someone in the head and then he really fastly sits down and then stares at me and then I shoot him again and then he goes from a sitting position to a body facing down position.

The wound system makes me feel much more like Rambo. You can get shot numerous times and not die and getting shot in the head still made you alive. Soldiers can take bunches of shots to the torso compared to the default settings and can take much much more shots to the arms and legs.

The dialogue is a great addon and i'll be keeping it!

There are a lot of other things to type about but I don't have time for that right now but keep up the great work Solus, this looks very promising!

Hey Solus, what's the status on your notebook problem?

Are you able to work on anything again?

Have you checked out fabrizio_t's ai enhancements allready?

Also the squad leader seems to issue a lot of commands randomly. Why does he tell me to hold fire for one second and then tell me to start firing again?

I don't know anything internal about Solus work (except result is great), but things like this are normal when you fiddle with AI.

Since ArmA2 AI does not rely on "fuzzy" logic any attempt to mod it's likely to make this sort of (minor) problems happen.

Also keep in mind that all AI mods around (as far as i know) work on top of "default" AI: interference with this default layer is not 100% avoidable and may lead to cases of AI "fibrillation".

It also seems like your squad leader has a pair of magic eyes which means he can see everything his people he is commanding are seeing. Compared to the default AI when an AI saw someone he would report it on the radio and then the squad leader would tell them to engage, in here when the group was far away enough that they couldn't identify eachother my squad leader reported nothing until I decided to zoom in with my ACOG scope and then he yelled "CONTACT!".

This problem is frequent also with Vanilla AI, in my experience.

Edited by fabrizio_T

Is there any way to turn off the gameplay changes to make it multiplayer friendly?? Such as just using the effects and sounds, it makes it seem like im hacking, since i do everything so much faster than everyone else, also very annoying not being able to have my aiming reticle in multiplayer when everyone else does.

I love the mod, but if its going to be multiplayer friendly there needs to be a lite version.

Is there any way to turn off the gameplay changes to make it multiplayer friendly?? Such as just using the effects and sounds, it makes it seem like im hacking, since i do everything so much faster than everyone else, also very annoying not being able to have my aiming reticle in multiplayer when everyone else does.

I love the mod, but if its going to be multiplayer friendly there needs to be a lite version.

It's all modular. Just remove the pbos you don't want.

It's all modular. Just remove the pbos you don't want.

Legend, cheers mate, ill go take a look.

i think really the mod is meant to be played on a multiplayer server that also runs the mod.

Some pbo's are client side but others that control ai for example needs to be on the server.

Using it on a server that doesnt check for pbo signitures etc would be considered cheating and could cause client side crashes and problems for other players.

Nice job Solus and great to see you back!

Now I at least had time to downloaded it and will install/test later. Damn, I have hard time keeping up with all the cool stuff you guys/gals (?) are making ;)

/KC

I am just wondering, is the author of this still working on it?

Id like to use this, but in this current state, its almost not usable, at least in multilayer. Single player seems to work great.

Can somebody explain how to binrize this, or is somebody willing to binarize it for us?

performance is terrible with this mod, however it has some good ideas.

I think binarizing it could help in getting better performance?

Great mod so far:-)

Solus hasn't notified anyone that he has abondoned the mod, yet he did post that his notebook has died on him... so that's probably the cause he hasn't been so active on the forum lately.

I was able to fix the laptop and continue work, but unfortunately/fortunately I can't reliably test anymore because my mission testing goes on so long without any bugs that the laptop is starting to overheat. I tested the boot camp and all the scenario missions, except for the last one where it's overheating, with no bugs. So I'm going to have to release what I have right now and then do a little more testing to make sure everything is ok in MP. Hopefully the laptop doesn't die from this. Also things seem to be running smoother after the optimizations, and the wait time added to the danger.fsm could make things faster in that aspect than in default ArmA 2.

Download:

http://www.filefront.com/14862177/SLX_Mod_ArmA2_1.5.rar

Mirrors welcomed!

Changes:

-Improved cover finding effectiveness, units now search for all kinds of objects and compare their size to the object to make sure it's big enough to hide behind.

-Improved dragging feature and made AIs more effective at dragging.

-Tweaked people damage, wounding effects, and AI accuracy for more correct combat outcomes.

-Fixed AI rate of fire and fire mode ranges. AIs should shoot more correctly now.

-Tweaked tank armor for more correct tank battles.

-Removed magic tank radars and gave tanks long range sight.

-Fixed quick pick up dropped weapon action.

-Fixed reload shout with multiple weapons.

-Fixed people in vehicles getting too hurt from crashes.

-Fixed RagDoll addon MP error.

-Fixed AI dodge for cover effectiveness and timing.

-Disabled danger.fsm causing AI to stand still in combat and made AIs move and dodge for cover in combat often.

-AI leaders should always slow down to stick with their group when in combat mode.

-Improved AI bandaging only when out of sight of the enemy.

-Added binocular move speed addon.

-Added tank commanders turning out when firing their turret. And for commander turrets that can be fired from inside, if they can't fire when turned out then they will stay in.

-Made tank commanders fire smoke grenades when hit.

-Added launcher prone addon.

-Readded and optimized shot effects.

-Added moving while lying on steep surfaces.

-Fixed AI healing enemies, they don't shoot the captive.

-Fixed radios on civ groups, only given to groups with rifles.

-Fixed players able to order AI to use players "take weapon" action after dropping their weapon.

-Fixed bad action names.

-Removed turning for wounded people.

-Fixed bandage action still active on dead people.

-Made knife anim slightly slower.

-Fixed GL3 not working.

-Improved GL3 taking cover for vehicles.

-Optimized GL3 some more.

-Fixed some error messages.

-Injured people should not report enemies and AIs should shoot wounded people less often.

-Used a string parsing function from Kronzky. Thanks Kronzky!

-Reduced AI hand grenade ROF.

-Reduced unneeded find cover calls for performance.

-Possibly fixed captives running off when they should follow.

-Fixed some animation issues with AIs getting up from falling and dropping weapons.

-Fixed SINCGARS model UV .rpt errors.

-Fixed pop up target shooting.

-Fixed BIS drag with slx_wounds active.

-Fixed dragging/moving people and objects into vehicles.

-Added animal death sounds.

-Fixed some missing speech. All questions in all english voices work.

-Changed fire effect to work better under lag.

-Changed bullet trace effects.

-Made impact effects lighter colored.

-Slightly raised car and helicopter tail rotor armor for better survivability.

-Added a small wait to danger.fsm so that it doesn't eat up all of the cpu cycles and cause all other effects to lag for a long time when AIs detect lots of shots fired.

-Optimized some effects for low fps situations.

-Made AIs not drag someone if they are in direct line of sight of a very close enemy.

-Made SLX Wounds hit effect into .sqf function for better optimization.

Good to see you back Solus and what a return.. thats a long list of fixes/changes :eek: goodie

Downloading now...

yeah, great news solus!

pure awesomeness.

would love to see some servers running SLX, and i hope your slx stuff gets used in ace2, so we can finally enjoy your work online.

good job :)

Looks amazing Solus!

Can you fix the 'holstering of pistol' when going crouch bug though? The player will momentarily lower or holster his weapon when going into crouch position which can be hazardous in a firefight :D

The SLX mod was great on arma1 , and its even better to see it for arma2!!

any word on radio chatter ?