Sign in to follow this  
Solus

SLX Mod WIP

Thought I would chip in with my own observations etc.

First of all, the overall impression of the entire collection is that I like it :) a lot. Plain ordinary test setups in the mission editor now seem to have infinite complexity when playing, the amount of extra gameplay simply by having this collection present is increased dramatically.

I like the increased confusion when hitting AI units, they might go down, they might appear to be dead, but they often get back up again. Like most everyone else who plays ArmA2, I have a subliminal impression of what a "dead" AI unit looks like. Now, that "dead" unit is as likely to be still alive as dead. It forces you to put extra rounds into a dead body, especially if you expect to have to enter that area. Units dragging bodies also, you shoot the dragger, and you also shoot the dragee, just in case :)

This seems to me like realistic behavior.

AI units are a lot better at hiding as well. I got zinged a few times by units I just couldn't spot, which I liked. It wasn't a case of insta-kill, which I also liked. The battles last longer, are more dynamic, and are much more enjoyable, even I might say is the real core of ArmA2 gameplay. More than missions, I like situations.

I'm not keen on the armour sounds, they are an irritant to me. I'm generally not keen on sound changes unless they're dedicated and coherent sound mods, so that might just be personal preference. I do a lot of camera.sqs, and the added sounds are like most other added sounds in ArmA2, they're loud and intrusive. (This includes my own sound inserts BTW.)

The birds. Now, I have to admit to being a little put out when hearing about the birds, seeing as I took so long to get mine into the ether and in the same week at least 2 other birds addons are released :D however, they don't intrude on my solutions, and seem to in fact go quite nicely. So I'm keeping these birds right alongside my own :)

I do see a lot of animation jerkiness, but I'm not disturbed by these, as long as what I'm seeing makes sense then I can overlook a lot of minor visual oddness.

Oh, and I like the bleeding too. I would wish for a config setting for these, amounts of blood per amount of injury, blood splatter directional dispersion (very useful for working out what happened in a scene of slaughter), lifetime of blood on the ground etc. I know that ACE is working on directional blood splatter, as well as bleeding units, so I guess I will be keeping an eye on both of these.

Very good work Solus :)

Edited by DMarkwick

First of all, i have to say that this addon is one of my favorites. It offers you a much more intensive battle-atmosphere.

Now i have one question: Is it possible that you can switch off the new sound file which appears 2-5 secs before the artillery-projectiles hit the ground if theres an artillery called (e.g. @domination)?

I was looking for a solution in the .pbo-files, but cant find the line-description... .

Would be really nice if you can tell me where i can find it or how you can switch it off!

Again, great work Solus! Keep it up!

Edited by WillaCHilla

Small bug, when firing the grenade launcher and switching back to the rifle without reloading the GL, the character will keep saying "got to reload" and "changing mags" every couple of seconds. Also, if I ask the medic to heal a wounded enemy, he'll promptly shoot him right after he's healed.

Otherwise, great work, as usual, really awesome mod.

Is there a bugtracker? (or a dev-heaven project, maybe?)

It looks like HP won't repair the laptop so I probably won't be able to work on SLX until I fix it or get a new laptop which could take a while.

Thanks for the good words and bug reports everyone!

WillaCHilla: All the sounds should be in SLX_ModWeapons_Sounds.pbo

Maybe the question doesn't really belong here, excuse me please for this, but how can I remove the backpack radios for AI units? If I make a mission where one side is lets say a group of badly organised rebels or gangster group or police officers, it would seem odd for them to have a field radio on their back

Solus, in which PBO is the blood code?

As far as I can recall, you can get it within SLX_wounds.

-------------------

@Solus,

Cheers for the great support and updates,

However, would there be a chance to decrease the AI Radio Reports or just get ride of them. I would have done that myself if 'time' was in my side, but it is unfortunately not the case.

Regards,

TB

All wounding stuff for people, including blood, is in SLX_Wounds.

Banderas: Look in the SLX_GL3.pbo for SLX_GL3_Settings.sqf and find the radio global variables. Have your mission set those to an empty array "SLX_Radios_Side = [];" and they shouldn't appear.

Here's an interim update, the main changes are MP fixes, but there are some things wrong like the tank armor and ragdoll effect that I was in the middle of working on:

http://www.filefront.com/14564371/SLX_Mod_ArmA2_1.35_interim.7z

Edited by Solus

Nice one.

Is there any way to stop injured troops stop shouting out directions to enemy soldiers ? It's a bit wierd that they shout for help then keep giving directions.

Still testing ....

There is one feature of this mod that is impossible to do: getting wounded\dead\captives into vehicles. It's so hard that i haven't even ONCE had a chance to do it :\ Can you make it easier (somehow)?

Edited by Nickos
"eaten" letter a

Nickos: Actually that feature is broken, sorry. I'll see about fixing it and making it work better if I ever get the chance to work on stuff.

Hey Solus, question on the wound.pbo feature. Is there a way to always let the AI drag any wounded or dead soldier to nearest cover then proceed on with their routines (either apply first aid/or move on to attack the enemy). As I see most of the time it's rather random for the AI to drag any wounded/dead soldiers.

I know it's kinda unrealistic as in real world the soldiers always access the situation first before deciding to pull the wounded/dead. But I felt now the AI really rarely do the dragging at all.

Thanks

is the "FOV-no zoom" is going to be released alone soon? And is the little bug that happens going to be fix? (when you aim you have a strange issue with your fov that last 1 sec, i dunno how to describe it in english, sry)

Greta work anyway Solus.

I just got an idea. What about adding the "pick-up" wounded\dead soldier option, just like in plain ArmA 2?

I have just used your mod and must say that I'm very impressed, the AI really uses much more clever tactics now, like suppressive fire and flanking movements. Furthermore they react much better. Thanks a lot!

i love this addon but my commander is far in front however soldiers are lacking behind kinda far

enjoying this addon big time.

however i find my squad goes all over the place and don't come back when i ask them too.

must say however that i REALLY ENJOY the way they take cover automatically. Man, that adds a lot to the feeling of smartish AI!

thanks and good luck with your laptop.

One of the greatest things about this mod is the AI improvement, in a FR Team I find I can command my squad effectively especially in CQB environments and find they dont need any babysitting, I dont mind as much that they take a bit longer to get to theyre destination. Fantastic work Solus.

Are there any script controls you can put on this Surrender Feature?

The AI in my group decide they need to Surrender and drop all there weapons, how do I disable this for West but not East or at least put some parameters on it?

Thanks

great mod! question is can I use only certain features (pbos) and leave some out instead of installing all? Like only taking cover and sticktogether.

great mod! question is can I use only certain features (pbos) and leave some out instead of installing all? Like only taking cover and sticktogether.

Yes you can. It's made into modular form so that you can leave those you don't like out.

Hi Solus,

Absoloutley love the mod, really saved Arma2 for me recently, our squad had got a bit sick and tired of the olympic marksman ai who only shoot when they can actually see you, and by that time you are already dead, usually shot through a thick layer of trees/grass and foilage. Makes my blood boil, really does!

Its really levelled the playing field and upped the immersion. We've been using it on our dedicated server but we always seem to run into problems after a mission has been running for a while. Suddenly the server and client memory usage would spike up to over a gig and the game becomes unplayable. The server eventually crashes with a out of memory error. Our server has 4gb! So we've had to switch back to vanilla.

I will try the interium fix now and let you know if your MP fixes have solved it

Also do you plan on signing the addons and producing a server key? This is almost vital to stop crashing and conflicts between players joining without CBA and SLX etc

Edited by PeterEyres

I have just uploaded the 1.35 to the server and have tested through a large mission, everything *seems* to be alot more stable. Will have more players on hand later to give it a proper test.