Sign in to follow this  
Solus

SLX Mod WIP

Genesis92x: Thank you very much for the report! I was having slowdowns/lockups after long MP missions too but I thought it was just my slow laptop and that it stabilized after a while. I'll check through on the locality of the damage/hit EH effects and net code sends to see if there's anything out of place that might be causing anything excess. If you test again try removing these: Wounds, VehicleEffects, t72 destroyed, ragdoll, AI dodge. That would help narrow it down. Thank you!

The AI are very willing to engage, almost to the point of being a problem. I holed up in a snipers perch and they shot the building to hell, nearly every enemy AI I encountered when I came down was out of ammo. lol

Thank you for investing that much time to make ARMA 2 a great experience.

Indeed!

Solus: Removing those PBOs fixed the issue. It also fixed a lot of lag and the what-not. Possibly a leak in one of those PBOs?

I am experiencing a problem in SLX v1.9999 that I had with SLX v1.9997 as well, but not in 1.9998. The problem is when I access the gear screen from within the briefing the game slows down incredibily to where I click on somethign then wait 1-2 seconds before it takes effect. Changing 5 guys load outs is time consuming enough when everything is working right, so although this may seem minor its pretty annoying. I will do some more experimenting tonight to see if I can narrow down the cause any.

I believe it only happens when using the OA exe though.

---------- Post added at 06:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:10 PM ----------

It seems the fire.sqf script is repeating over and over again causing some serious lag and desync when your bring down vehicles.

Also, playing a recent mission (Not fully tested yet though) the game becomes unplayabled at about 2-3 hours. The game starts locking up and CPU usage drops down to 26%. The lock-ups start to become more and more frequent and eventually last longer. Starting with lockups that last 2 seconds to lockups that last 30 seconds. With me being the host, I got them 90% of the time. My friend got a few lock-ups but were rare.

On most occasions the lockups could be summoned by shooting an enemy. A tank. A soldier. Anything that delt significant damage to the enemy caused these massive lock-ups.

No other mods were running except @CBA and @HiFi mod (Which is a sound mod). The main source could not be narrowed down but the suspected culprit would be the wounded PBO. Next time I play with my friend I will remove the Wounded PBO and see if the lock-ups persist. If it does not persist I will post back here.

Has anyone else had an issue with this?

My computer is not the best but it has never had an issue like this:

Vista

Quad CPU 2.40GHz

Mem: 3070 MB

Graphics: ATI Radeon HD 5750

PS: This mod is great though! The AI actually feel as if they can think on their own-realistically. Not just scripted code. It's amazing. The only issue that plauges it are the lock-ups. Great work Solus

I dont have a three hour attention span so I doubt I everr ran the game that long without at least exiting out to windows for a second or two, so can't say for sure if I have or havent'.

When you have the lockups does the screen go black, with the words "receiving..." or does everything just freeze?

I am experiencing a problem in SLX v1.9999 that I had with SLX v1.9997 as well, but not in 1.9998. The problem is when I access the gear screen from within the briefing the game slows down incredibily to where I click on somethign then wait 1-2 seconds before it takes effect. Changing 5 guys load outs is time consuming enough when everything is working right, so although this may seem minor its pretty annoying. I will do some more experimenting tonight to see if I can narrow down the cause any.

I believe it only happens when using the OA exe though.

---------- Post added at 06:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:10 PM ----------

I dont have a three hour attention span so I doubt I everr ran the game that long without at least exiting out to windows for a second or two, so can't say for sure if I have or havent'.

When you have the lockups does the screen go black, with the words "receiving..." or does everything just freeze?

Everything just freezes completly. I has been narrowed down to a few troublesome PBOs though.

Thunderbird: Thanks! Try removing GL3, that might be the problem with lag on that mission, I've done some optimization and it looks like it's working here although still a little twitchy. The lag does get worse later on though for the second flight but I've still been able to make it without crashing. Try pressing esc a few times to let it load stuff and it might run better. It looks like the other pbos have been narrowed down for lag and I'm looking into fixing them.

Firewall: Thank you for helping!

HyperU2: Heh, I just noticed that with the 5.56. I'll try raising the cost of the other ammo so they're a little more careful.

Genesis92x: Thanks! That narrows it down. Did you try removing just VehicleEffects before and it was still freezing/lagging? So it must be Wounds that is causing it?

Component Actual: I don't know what could be causing the gear screen lag thanks for helping to test to find it! I wonder if it could be something with CBA gear event handlers? SLX doesn't use those but maybe it's something with it that changed in CBA during this time? I get both the freezing and "receiving..." texture flush after a while. The texture flush is obvious with the receiving screen and then the textures looking like they're reloading, the freeze is just the same frame ingame that freezes for a long time before continuing. Sometimes there are shorter freezes, possibly texture loading and low fps as it mostly happens when moving around and zooming in.

Edited by Solus

Hi Guys,

It's been a while since I last visited SLX mod, with all the newly released awesomeness and breathtaking addons, I just want to get a confirmation that it will work with existing vanilla missions and campaigns in A2 and OA and won't break it. Thanks

Genesis92x: Thanks! That narrows it down. Did you try removing just VehicleEffects before and it was still freezing/lagging? So it must be Wounds that is causing it?

I can run another test tonight. I just removed all the PBOs you asked. But before I contacted you I had removed the wounds.pbo and the game ran better right off the bat. At the time I just thought it was because it was the largest PBO and obviously had a lot to it (As it does). I will play another game tonight with just the wounds.pbo removed and then report back the results. I am 90% sure it is the wounds.pbo causing the issue. On a side-note, I'm not sure I told you about the fire.sqf file in the VehicleEffects.pbo, it seems to cause some major lag as well. (For now I just put exit; in the script)

Component Actual: I don't know what could be causing the gear screen lag thanks for helping to test to find it! I wonder if it could be something with CBA gear event handlers? SLX doesn't use those but maybe it's something with it that changed in CBA during this time? I get both the freezing and "receiving..." texture flush after a while. The texture flush is obvious with the receiving screen and then the textures looking like they're reloading, the freeze is just the same frame ingame that freezes for a long time before continuing. Sometimes there are shorter freezes, possibly texture loading and low fps as it mostly happens when moving around and zooming in.

I also was getting the lockups when zooming in and etc. You are gettin close to the problem! Thanks for the attention on the mod man. It's a great mod.

Solus (and others),

Is it possible to load multiple dead/wounded bodies into a vehicle for evacuation? If I drag a body and get into a vehicle, then exit the vehicle, the body comes out with it.

It would add a lot of realism if this feature was possible, at least in the medevac vehicles.

Thanks for the answer Solus.

Well, removing the aircraft steering addon fixes the thingie but I keep getting many lag sequences during average/large firefights implying many units.

I guess this is due to GL3 but getting ride of GL3 means taking out the AI capabilities.

Hope you'd find some time to optimize the codes.

Cheers,

TB

Thank you very much for a great release! man, the AI and bits are awesome here. taking cover in buildings at times even.

great work.

of course, nothing is perfect and everyone has a want.

but the one thing it would be incredible to have is an AI infantry reaction to incoming fire module much like your damn useful findcover script. Not sure if it is possible. Things like taking cover right away, not lying in the road, not leaving cover while under fire, putting down fire together, suppressing priority positions. You know, the basic stuff that and reaction to fire battle drill any fireteam should have. And having it separate cause it is just for the units in a group to get them each to react properly to incoming fire.

thanks for a great release and very interested in the final release. thank!

Good evening,

After having fought a really heavy battle, I have some suggestions for SLX.

The apc - vehicles dont throw smoke when being damaged. Only the tanks?

The LAV seems to have a problem in recognizing enemy units. (ok, could be a vanilla issue)

If I remeber right, the AI should be able to man empty defences or units around them but they didn't..? I the mission there were serveral empty defences and vehicles, but the AI didn't use them.

Sometimes if you put your units back form danger mode to aware mode, they still stay in danger mode.

Maybe it would be good if the player could call in supporting units like the AI with GL3. If the player calls for help one of the units avaiable in GL3 the unit should react on the call.

Greetings :)

Thanks for the answer Solus.

Well, removing the aircraft steering addon fixes the thingie but I keep getting many lag sequences during average/large firefights implying many units.

I guess this is due to GL3 but getting ride of GL3 means taking out the AI capabilities.

Hope you'd find some time to optimize the codes.

Cheers,

TB

Try removing the Vehicleeffects.pbo and the wounds.pbo. Both have scripts in which cause the game to slow

Try removing the Vehicleeffects.pbo and the wounds.pbo. Both have scripts in which cause the game to slow

I already know but cheers for the tip.

Getting ride of both of these, it's somewhat like removing what makes SLX so unique. It's also like taking out SLX_GL3...

Hope solus will get some time and patience to optimize the codes here.

Regards,

TB

Here's the last version:

https://rcpt.yousendit.com/920939193/b1fcbadbb1bd4bf4aaf0358a9b4964ba

Version 2.0:

Optimized GL3 and other addons.

Optimized MP functionality.

Fixed play move/action locality execs. Much more netcode efficient.

Fixed dropped weapon array input and output over network.

Give radios doesn't need GL3.

Added incoming missile tank smoke and "incoming" shouts if shooter is known.

Fuel explosion effect goes over network.

Added spawn skill addon to make spawned units have skills according to their loadout and rank.

Made object/dead dragged cargo stay in vehicles until unloaded.

It seems stable and as far as I can tell it runs almost as well as default A2 on the laptop.

It's about as optimized as I can get it, although there's still the sqs format in SLX_Wounds that could be rewritten in sqf. There's someone that's interested in doing that and he might get to it in a few months.

I'm not going to be working on it anymore. Thank you very much to everyone that has helped and given feedback and support!

The licence in the readme still stands, anyone can continue development of the addons or take parts and make smaller addons if they want.

I'll check in to answer questions but most development is stopped. There will be a new release thread in a bit with an updated addon description list.

Muahaha: As far as I can tell it won't break any default mission that I have run through.

Genesis92x: Thanks! I've tried optimizing everything you noticed, hopefully that solved all the desync problems. Without more extensive testing abilities I don't know what else it could be in there. I think general low fps might be the problem with the freezes, I get the micro freezes in default A2 and can even get the bigger freeze when alt-tabbing, so it could be default A2. In the MP testing I can do SLX seems to run about the same as default A2, there's a little less bandwidth and maybe 1-3 fps loss but other than that it was running smoothly.

John_Chrichton: I finally added that. Medevac (and even a whole load of ammo/weapon cargo) is now possible.

Thunderbird: Hopefully it should be optimized enough to run fine with everything now. Thanks for FFUR! ;]

twisted: Thanks! That's what the SLX_AI danger.fsm tries to do, immediate quick reaction drills and taking cover, suppression/reaction fire, and evasive maneuvers. Protegimus is continuing development of the danger.fsm so maybe you can help him with the logic.

Firewall: Thanks for the testing! Thanks for spotting that with the wheeled APCs, no more development though, sorry. You could take the tank smoke addon and add that to it though, copy the tank class and put wheeled_apc class and test to see if it works. In large battles the AIs do have trouble seeing the enemy, all that can be done is optimizations for speed. The AIs have the ability to man the defenses but it's not necessarily always used at the needed time. It was probably the base defenses in warfare? Sometimes if the base is attacked they might get in the base defenses when defending from an equal or larger force. The AIs seem to have their own danger mode control and stay in danger whenever there's an enemy. GL3 will automatically have the player's group call for help, but unfortunately there's no control over it.

Great thanks to you Solus, for all you have done. I hope you are only moving on to another project otherwise you sir, will be sorely missed.

Wow, the last version. :cool:

A great addon is completed.

P.S. :Maybe it's my mistake, but I can't order my men to do supressive fire. I select the unit and select "supressing fire" in the action menu, but nothing happens. Is there another way to order my men to do this effective suppressing fire the enemy can do.

awesome. thanks very much solus for one of the true great arma2 mods so far!

edit - download link down. any mirrors yet?

Edited by twisted

thx so much Solus i used the SLX-mod for a while and i have mega intense firefights :)

Solus, many thanks for all your work on SLX. Truly a great mod. Sorry to hear that you won't be working on it anymore.

Well if it's done it's done, it feels nearly perfect (especially for an imperfect game) many thanks always.