Sign in to follow this  
Solus

SLX Mod WIP

A.C.E.2 mod will hopefully bring some CQB sights, which are awesome.

My current solution is AFP's minimal crosshair mod, it's really excellent.

Hey Solus, you're doing the community such a huge favour by working so hard at this game as well as the previous titles. I've done my fair share of modding in the past, so i know it's a lot of work. Therefore I'd like to offer my time to you, if you ever need a hand testing it, or perhaps some simple texture work here and there, feel free to PM me.

Here's the next version:

http://www.filefront.com/14486983/SLX_Mod_ArmA2_1.3.rar

Changes:

-Made AI leaders now slow down near buildings when in combat mode so they don't run ahead and leave the team behind. AI teams move much more tactically now.

-Made catastrophicly damaged vehicles explode/burn.

-Improved fire effects and made fires burn out faster.

-Made wounded people sometimes roll on to their back with ArmA2 wounded animations.

-Fixed groups without radios sharing info to all groups with radios. Should fix sneaking missions.

-Added retrieve weapon action.

-Fixed blood drops flicker.

-Changed blood materials.

-Added ambient ground birds addon. Birds fly away when someone approaches or when they are within audible range of a shot.

-Made all gestures warp less.

-Added option to disable move object action.

-Fixed missing direction text.

-Fixed knock down to get up animations.

-Fixed some missing dialogue words.

-Made wood impact double sided.

-Made wounded animations have head bob.

-Changed missile smoke.

-Made swimming less tiring and made AIs not sprint swim so they won't lose their stuff. Gear is now accessible while swimming.

-Enabled lying on steep surfaces. This removes the "go to stand stance" action so players should use the "Up" and "Down" stance key actions.

-Made injured gestures slower and not warp so much.

-Made action menu pop up less for user actions. Removed reload empty magazine action popup icon.

-Added RPG7 models with proper sights.

-Made dragging use attachto command and fixed dragging in water.

-Lightened gun smoke.

-Changed some shouts.

-Changed supersonic sounds range, changed far bullet sound level, and added scripted bullet sound.

Mirrors appreciated!

Thanks for the offers for help! Mostly I need people to try playing in MP to make sure everything works, and take videos so I can see if things are looking and sounding right at higher quality settings. I'll try and do a LAN test for fixing the reload shout in MP, but I can't do longer sessions to see if more bugs pop up.

NikoTeen: Does the AI still follow you with the latest version? In the first version they would probably break their command and move somewhere then return to formation but it should have been fixed in one of the other releases.

should we test with stable arma2 or last beta patch ?

GLeek: Either one should be fine. Thanks for testing!

Edited by Solus

Tested the 1.3 version and it rocks, to say the least.

However, there are 2 points which do in my humble judgement, need to be figured out and improved:

- The crack SFX.

- The weapons ROF (Rate Of Fire).

What about including various random crack sounds ? and they would also need be louder and more real life like.

The weapons ROF is too low in my opinion, during a battle, you don't hesitate to throw everything you have at the enemy's position.

Thanks for the hard work and dedication, keep it up.

Regards,

TB

thank you so much for adding the arma 2 wounded animations!

looks really good!

overall a very good, improved version.

Awesome will test this out when i get back home. Thanks Solus for your hard work.

Wow will test this out ASAP! Love to finally see the birds feature, DMarwick was working on one in ArmA but never released it. Maybe you can work with him on the fire feature? He is working hard on having realistic forestfires and such.

Is the 'retrieve weapon' feature an action menu option?

- Made dragging use attachto command and fixed dragging in water

So no more vehicles? or a combination of both? What is wrong with BIS their implementation of dragging and carrying wounded units?

Personally, I like BIS wounding/treatment system so I disable the SLX_Wounds.pbo, but now and then I got a warning read about captive.sqs not found. What other pbo(s) that call SLX_Wounds.pbo?

I agree with Thunderbird entirely actually, i had a dude on a hummer-mounted 50cal the other day, he was taking snipe shots one at a time every few seconds towards enemies, sure this might be extremely accurate and probably a good tactic, but if everyone does it, it becomes just the way the game is. If most private-ranked troops fired off in long barrages of bullets like they do in the movies, and people with higher ranks took more accurate single-shots, i think it would improve the way the game plays and feels dramatically. What are people's opinions?

What are the commands to disable some features?

Is this Client Side Only or do I need to put it on the Dedi Server as well?

Thanks, great mode love the extra features.

Atm I believe people who talk about disable-ing features just remove the .pbo file from the mod folder.

But Solus showed an example code for no gibs earlier but no sure if you could have it as a script in a mission.

Just has a quick game with the new version, seems much more stable, lots of fun!

Out of interest, would the bullet crack pbo interfere in any way with a sound pack such as Eliassound?

Love the latest update! Feels smooth, the 'Crack' isn't overwhelming the soundscape as much, and the new birds are a nice addition. One of my favorite things is the speed in which enemies drop when hit, much more satisfying to see body go limp and drop or that stunned effect on their a$$.

Videos! Please, as it looks like I'm not going home tonight. :(

No ArmA for me. So please some videos showing the goodies. :)

I agree with Thunderbird entirely actually, i had a dude on a hummer-mounted 50cal the other day, he was taking snipe shots one at a time every few seconds towards enemies, sure this might be extremely accurate and probably a good tactic, but if everyone does it, it becomes just the way the game is. If most private-ranked troops fired off in long barrages of bullets like they do in the movies, and people with higher ranks took more accurate single-shots, i think it would improve the way the game plays and feels dramatically. What are people's opinions?

Are you guys sure it is a ROF issue and not a sound bug? I thought that was the case with previous slx versions but then a tried it in vanilla 1.03 and the ROF seemed a lot better (didnt try the new version yet tho so i dont know if it is a new issue).

Hi everyone!

Do you know which one of the pbo's is responsible for the fov change in first person mode?

I really like the default one...

Could you provide a separate pbo with the default FOV or tell me how to get it back?

I tested the new version now

Positive since last version:

Those bullet Sounds don´t kill your ears anymore.

The AI is even better

negative:

Tanks still don´t explode. They just turn black. I hope you´ll implement some nice explosions in the future. Just think of the ammunition going off

Soldiers are able to take lots of damage without diying.

I saw one that was hit by a single gau-8 bullet. He just walked away. Some other are able to take 20 Rounds of Machinegunfire without diying.

Huge Performance drops

I tested it on a wip Mission of mine. After a few minutes everything turns into a diashow

If you pm me your E-Mail Adress I will send you this WIP Mission. I just don´t want it prereleased. This mission is good to test stuff like this mod, because it´s really challenging for the game Engine. You have a good position to overwiew everything, and you can watch some serious fighting

I just dropped mod weapons and everything works well, the value seems to be in mod weapons that drops bullet damage to zero some times.

Also badlands test as i always do, and it hangs every time when I am watching the 1st cutscene after you take novi sobor.

I will remove all other mods and test if its slx or sound of war mod etc.

Here's an Armaholic mirror: http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=7045

Thunderbird, Nosedive: I saw the M240 ROF was messed up earlier so I fixed it, I'll test all the other weapons and fix them later. I'll add the random crack sounds.

paragraphic l: The retrieve weapon action is added to the player, so just look in your action menu and select it to pick up the weapon, no more searching for the sweet spot on the model on the ground. It still uses the dragger vehicle but dead people had to be setpos'd but now they are using attachto. I don't think the BIS dragging works properly for AIs, unless it does then I might look into it.

Mr_Centipede: I'll fix that in GL3, thanks for spotting it.

vengeance1: Some addons are server side and client side so all machines should have them. I'll have to document the settings later. What things would you like to be able to configure?

Nosedive: I think sound mods should overwrite the SLX sounds.

Luigi Dictatore: The FOV will be separated in the next release. Currently it's in mod_veh_core pbo and modweapons pbo

Tonci87: Please show me videos of tanks exploding from various munitions. Please don't post the 'Javelin hitting the gasoline filled tank" video again. Most tanks use diesel fuel which burns slowly. I believe diesel fuel is ignited by compression, which unless something enters the armored fuel tank and then explodes it won't cause the diesel fuel to explode. Gun powder in tank shells doesn't usually explode unless directly ignited by an explosion reaching inside the ammo storage. Gun powder is not designed to explode, it just burns very quickly. Usually it should burn with intermittent explosions. Most tank to tank shots are APFSDS armor piercing fin stabilized discarding sabot, which is a kinetic penetrator which does not directly explode, so it is unlikely to cause an ammo or fuel explosion when hitting a tank. Most anti tank missiles use an explosively formed penetrator which pierces the armor with molten metal which may cause the ammunition or fuel to explode if the ammunition storage or fuel tank is hit. However the damage event handler doesn't run on tanks that are immediately destroyed by a shot, so the overall tank armor needs to be raised so that tanks are diabled/destroyed by their individual hit pieces being damaged/destroyed. So if a tank turret is destroyed by a hit it will set off the ammunition and cause an explosion. "Soldiers are able to take lots of damage without diying." Could be from lag. I'll see if more optimizations can fix this. Pleae email your test mission to Solus.SLX@gmail.com thanks!

mils: I might tweak the damage some more. Thanks for testing!

I've been doing a little MP testing and fixed some bugs/script errors.

Edited by Solus

I love how the AI works now, but i dislike the sped-up animations.

It looks pretty crap to be honest, like your fastforwarding a movie or something.

Any way i can shut off the sped up animations without interfering with the AI-part of the mod?

everything is modular mate, 1st posts lists what each module does, just delete the ones you don't like.

its great design indeed!