Sign in to follow this  
LOulOo

Video memory, very high or default?

Topeira Videomemory is ...Videomemory (Videocard memory - graphic card memory) - that is what the setting in the game is for. You have 512mb so use normal or high and test with that.

Alex

do BIS officials respond here ?

All the time.

I can't believe I never knew about this. In ArmA I got out of memory errors with my big missions all the time. I'm playing with a 3870 512mb and had video memory on default. But the strange thing is that default was auto detected. I still get the error in A2. Now I'm gonna set it to Normal/high to test it.

What are in gameoptions best settings for my hd 4870x2 (1giga)?

Normal, High, Very High, default etc?

In my config it has beeen detected like:

localVRAM=1063939968;

nonlocalVRAM=2147483647;

An official response by Bis would be appreciated.

Cheers

I'm referring to video memory option...

Edited by fideco

What setting should I use with a 1GB ATI card?

Also, is this memory detection in my arma cfg correct?

localVRAM=1067937792;

nonlocalVRAM=1877475328;

from what I can tell VRAM is showing 1GB, which would be correct. However, non vram is showing as 1.8GB (?) - is this system memory? If so I have 4GB installed, not 2GB. This is on vista x64

What setting should I use with a 1GB ATI card?

Also, is this memory detection in my arma cfg correct?

localVRAM=1067937792;

nonlocalVRAM=1877475328;

from what I can tell VRAM is showing 1GB, which would be correct. However, non vram is showing as 1.8GB (?) - is this system memory? If so I have 4GB installed, not 2GB. This is on vista x64

Yeah same here:

localVRAM=522125312; (512mb)

nonlocalVRAM=1878220800; (2.0gb)

I too am on Vista 64 with 4 gb of ram. It might be because all arma can use is 2047mb :/

I got a GTX 280 with 1gb memory, yet i only have Low and Normal for video memory options, funny enough i swear i remember having it on high once, and now i can select high, its not there in the drop down box..

AMD Phenom II X4 3ghz (overclocked to 3.2ghz)

Geforce GTX280 1gb

8gb Corsair RAM.

@ MadCatChiken

That is aproblem of the video card driver nvidia has released recently.

Go to Forceware 182.50 or below to get all high options back!

I use 182.50 with gtx280 and can max all options ;)

@ MadCatChiken

That is aproblem of the video card driver nvidia has released recently.

Go to Forceware 182.50 or below to get all high options back!

I use 182.50 with gtx280 and can max all options ;)

Ah brilliant, cheers Han.

Edited by MadCatChiken

Hmm i have a 4870 with 1GB RAM and it shows me this in my ArmA2.cfg:

localVRAM=2134048641;

nonlocalVRAM=2147483647;

Why show it round about 2GB localVRAM? I dont get it. :confused:

my cfg says -

localVRAM=922484736;

nonlocalVRAM=1878683648;

with a 896mb card and 4GB ram

Has BIS officials responded to the question :confused:

:bounce3:

Yeah they should know it best and tell us which option is good =/

I don't have any "official" answer, but I would imagine that there is some direct correlation to the available video memory, the settings used, and the proper setting of the video memory option.

I run a pair of 9800 GTX+ in SLI, although ARMA2 for some reason does not support SLI. I run it on all very high settings, except AA and anisotropic filtering, which I run on normal. The framerate is playable, but not smooth. If I switch the video memory setting from very high to high, the framerate jumps up; it is MUCH smoother for me.

Any way to open the console and command it to show your fps?

Raising this thread from the dead as I still can't find an official BIS statement on this. I see various claims from people that there's a 'bug' with 'very high' limiting your video card memory usage to 512.

I think we need some official guidance from BIS on this.

Funny..I still don't have any other option for my videa memory then low and normal. I'm using a GTX285, 64xVista, 8 gig, Quad 3 Ghz.

I don't understand why they don't just call it "256mb", "512mb", "1024mb" and "2048mb".

Maybe it's for aesthetic reasons, but imagine how much confusion and how many crashes this could avoided.

You are so right, why the hell did they not do it this way??. Because they are German? :) Complicated people?

Funny..I still don't have any other option for my videa memory then low and normal. I'm using a GTX285, 64xVista, 8 gig, Quad 3 Ghz.

what drivers are you using? IIRC people had this problem with newer drivers then 182.50.

You might also be able to edit your arma2.cfg; but I don't know if that would work

I got a GTX 280 with 1gb memory, yet i only have Low and Normal for video memory options, funny enough i swear i remember having it on high once, and now i can select high, its not there in the drop down box.. [\QUOTE]

Its because you r limited with the option above or under it, I guess. I cant recall the name but I remember once I had the same issue and I had to change another setting to high first. Try that, might help..

I have my Video Memory setting to 'Very High' and haven't yet noticed any 'out of memory' errors (specs in my sig).

When I had 2gb of RAM and WinXP 32bit I could set my video memory to "default" and it would show around 512mb detected in the CFG file, which is accurate for my dual 8800GT set up. Now that I've moved to 8GB ram and Win 7 64bit the same "default" setting only detects 255mb of video ram. Setting in-game to "low" or "very high" gives the same result, 255mb detected. If I limit myself to 6GB of RAM it only detects 213mbs. I'm getting graphical glitches and problems now because of all this, that I wasn't getting with my old 2gb/WinXP setup.

Getting rather annoyed at this entire sideshow to be honest.

I would like to know what the setting is. It needs quantifying so that we can optimise our experience.

I use high or very high on a 768MB card. With my view distance, resolution and low quality settings, it works well. Because I don't know the numbers, it might be that my game is very poorly configured.

I would like to know what the setting is. It needs quantifying so that we can optimise our experience.

I use high or very high on a 768MB card. With my view distance, resolution and low quality settings, it works well. Because I don't know the numbers, it might be that my game is very poorly configured.

Personally I would go with a High Video Memory setting at the most. If you get into large missions on Very High you may start getting "out of memory" errors. I can't say for sure but playing on High with a 768MB may be pushing it but I play on Default with a 1GB 4850 card and have yet to have an "out of memory"

error yet, even playing massive missions. But I had a 512MB 3870 and I would get CTD's all the time on large missions when playing on Normal.

I am compiling a guide at the moment covering all tweaks for ArmA2. On this topic I have the following information:

localVRAM=VALUE;

If you have SLI cards or Crossfire set the value of ‘localvram’ to HALF of the total video memory if you’re running SLI or Crossfire. Example: 2x4890 1GBs should have ‘localvram’ set to 1Gb. This setting should be done in bytes.

To use the value set in the config file you need to set video memory in-game to “defaultâ€.

“Very High†setting will only allocate 512 video memory, normal will only allocate 256.

To calculate how many bytes: http://www.t1shopper.com/tools/calculate/

If I was to setup my system I would make the cfg file read only. Then set the in-game video memory option to default, then in the cfg file set the localVRAM value in bytes to my graphics cards size.

I would then leave the setting video memory setting alone and only play with the Texture Details setting.

The texture details setting affects the size of the textures that are used in the game world. Obviously the larger the texture i.e. 512x512 or 1024x1024 the more resources required to display the texture.

This information seems to be rather different then what is written in this thread so far. If anyone else has any corrections of additional information on the topic I would like to know!

Cheers,

M.Blunt

15thMEU

Edited by [15thMEU]Blunt

Hi.

Is this correct:

LOW = 256-320MB
MED = for 512MB
HIGH = 1024MB (1GB)
V.HIGH = 2048MB (2GB)

Can someone from BIS confirm this. Can't see any info of this anywhere, not in the manual or WIKI.

Thanks.