Sign in to follow this  
BeerHunter

ArmA2 did strange things to my comuter tonight.

Sorry I can't be more specific and I doubt you'd ever be able to replicate the problem but on the off chance there is a clue as to why it happened in here , I thought I'd post it.

I was in the editor playing a scenario I created. After I had made a few additions/deletions I saved and started to play it. Noticed my character was moving slowly forward with absolutely no input from me. I could guide it but was unable to make it stop (could if I used the STOP command but it started up again right after).

I quit the editor , started the editor and reload my scenario - no change.

I quit the game , started the game again , went into editor and loaded my scenario - no change.

Also noticed that my internet connection seemed real doggy (slow) to load web pages.(I was coming here to see if anyone else was experiencing this) though that may or may not be connected to this issue as sometimes it bogs down anyway.

I re-booted the computer and when it started noticed my icons had been re-arranged (into a column on the left) and my display setting of "Show Window Contents While Dragging" had been turned off.

Started ArmA2 , into the editor , loaded my scenario and it worked just fine.

Figure THAT one out.. :confused: :o

FYI relevant system specs are (no OC either):

Windows XP SP2

AMD Athlon 64 x2 4200+

2 G RAM

ATI 4870 1G video

ArmA2 with the 1.3 Beta patch and no mods activated.

Any ideas?

No offence, but maybe, it was the influence of herbals? Maybe in the beer you are daily hunting?! Sorry, had to write this !! ;-)))

I think another process was slowing down your PC - like an update of the security software or windows itself. This, together with a why-so-ever-slowed down internetconnection (shit happens) might cause that behaviour. As far as I know Microsoft-PCs send regularly encrypted data to Microsoft ... might be another cause for a slowdown. The re-arrangement of the desktop symbols has sometimes happened to me for no reason.

I've experienced "unstoppable" movement in Arma2, though it's extremely rare and completely unreproducable but thankfully easy to fix (for me). When it does happen, it's usually after dying and reloading, where I find my character moving in a certain direction without any user input. To fix this I usually just need to press the key that would make him move this way, for example W if he was moving forward.

As for the re-arranged desktop icons, I've experienced stuff like this when certain games change the display resolution and then crash. Also, this used to happen occasionally when switching to dual view (monitor+TV) on my old HD4850. I've never experienced this with Arma2 though.

@BeerHunter I have had the same install of XP Pro SP3 32bit for about 6 mths now with not even a hint of a glitch.

After about the 3rd run of beta and a large windows update my PC does some very strange things... I fear that a few CTDs and BSODs has corrupted a windows file.

I am going to reload some stuff to see if I can track it down.

and yes I am experienced at spyware resolution...none detected.

I've experienced "unstoppable" movement in Arma2, though it's extremely rare and completely unreproducable but thankfully easy to fix (for me). When it does happen, it's usually after dying and reloading, where I find my character moving in a certain direction without any user input. To fix this I usually just need to press the key that would make him move this way, for example W if he was moving forward.

Tried that but didn't seem to solve the problem.

Ran a spy ware , disk defrag and anti virus scan just the other day.Clean.

As I said , my ISP goes wonky every once in a while anyway so that probably has nothing to do with the problem , especially if others experience the same random movement.

Weird. :confused:

Edited by BeerHunter

Do you have a joystick or other controller connected? Sometimes it happens my joystick is not in a central position when connected, and then it moves... However, I only encountered it with vehicles, but if you have another controller...

You probably had a memory leak...

If that happens again just check memory usage... it should be over the roof.

Windows probably went to a crawl...

P.S: You're not by any chance using the "maxmem" switch?