What's the better mod?  

86 members have voted

1. 1. What's the better mod?

• ACE
    • XAM
    • No one, they're just shit
    • Both!

Hi,

I'd like to know what's the better mod: ACE or XAM...

I love ArmA but I think it's not too realistic...

Thanks!

Alright,

Why is ACE better for you?

1. there are more server running ace then xam

2. i like the missions

3. all the addons, but i like the sounds of xam

What is the point of this topic?

Have you considered the risk of spam topics like this discouraging mod makers from continuing?

At the very least could you phrase things less offensively.

Try both. See which one you prefer. Simple.

And whoever thinks that they're 'both shit' are imbeciles.

XAM and ACE are both outstanding mods. My biggest problem with using them is that there's bound to be one (or more likely several) of their new "functions" that are deal-breakers for me. I know ACE has some switches/flags that can be set to turn off certain functions but I'm not sure if every option can be turned off.

What's so nice about the ECS mod is that there's a flag for every single option in the mod so that you can turn on/off any function you want.

For example, when I tried ECS, I would get shot and then slowly bleed out because at that moment, I had absolutely no way to get healed and I would just slowly die. I could not play with this so I turned off all bleeding. There were actually a bunch of things I turned off such as being set on fire if you walk close to a burning vehicle.

The whole new wounding/healing medical functionality in ACE sounds awesome for a good-size bunch of players but I always play alone with AI mates so I really don't want it (again, not sure if you can turn it off).

Often, it's not even a matter of liking/disliking something. Often, it's simply...do I have the time to deal with this given my limited amount of playing time?

Specific issues with ACE or XAM would be welcome. Saying a mod "sucks" without saying why does not help the devs at all.

ACE. For obvious reasons. I'm not a developer or anything.....:whistle:

such topics can only lead to flamewar

so in my opinion such topics should not exist

As XAM has stopped development for a while and ACE has been more alive/updated I think such comparison is blank.

I had played both. Both were featuring interesting enhancements, both were featuring nice FX and sounds, both were pulling hard on my rig with my old videocard.

.... and, now, I have switched to ArmA2 :rolleyes:

I have only every looked at ACE so I don't know if my vote for ace is fair.

But here is the meat of why I\we use ACE.

Ace did alot of what we wanted in this game. Great weapons, good selection of vehicles.

For my small group of semi-regular players, it installed easy, played nice with most if not all extra Addons we put in it, did I say . IT WAS EASY TO INSTALL. Yes I did.

Some of my less savvy players could just download ACE, then run updater and go. That is so nice for casual DAD's (god when did I stop being a gamer and become a dad?). Most of my buddies don't have time to fiddle and faddle. ACE, was a one stop shop.

High visibility in the Modding community, very responsive to questions even from NOBS. I think that is the main reason I even tried ACE, that and Sickboy and his fine work. I ahve always like his stuff so he was also a big part of why I tried out ACE.

STABLE as well. When it wasn't they put out a patch REALLY quick.

So although I have heard of XAM, we never went there.

Hope the above is some of what you are looking for.

Now that I have time though I think I will go look at XAM and see what it is all about.

Cheers

I think ACE mod is the best mod I've seen so far because of the level of realism enhancements thats gone into the mod such as the players stamina, weapon effects etc. Also the Acemod combined with missions designed to use its features makes for very good gameplay. I think I installed XAM quite a while back so to compare the two you would have to list the features of each mod. I liked XAm as it had some good effects too. This sort of reminds me of the comparison of Falcon 4s mods which unfortunately is a divided community and where one mod enhances the realsim of the sim another mod improves graphics while yet a 3rd has good stability for both MP and SP. If you were to roll all three together and combine them it would be the ultimate sim but unfortunately thats not how things go in the F4 community. My advice for Arma based on this is its better to make a single mod which features the best of each mod and combine this with an auto updater for additional aircraft/vehicles/weapons. This would standardise the game and make it better for MP. It also has to be a simple install so anyone can use it and not require editing the shortcut for the Arma exe. Also the MP games would require a similar update so the games can feature the extra enhancements for the primary mod.

---------- Post added at 01:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:40 PM ----------

For comparison heres a list of ACEmods features:

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/ACE_Features

I'll hunt around for XAMs features list.

Ok, I just tried ACE.

So I prefer XAM, because of the sounds realism.

But ACE is graphicly more realist...

With ACE its not just graphical or sound improvements it is in fact the realistic aspects combined with additional weapons and vehicles that is the main reason why it is so good. For example ACE Revenge you have a vast array of weapons to choose from including carrying a pack and placing additional equipment in the pack. You also have a cool 40mm drone which can be viewed with a small LCD screen. If you get shot the player screams in pain until you use Morphine and bandage the wound up. If you don't then you bleed to death. The stamina is also modeled where if you carry too much your character will get exhausted over a short distance and collapse. It also effects your aim and you also have other features like NVG controls etc. The best thing is its stable in MP and it absolutely rocks I highly reccomend ACE revenge, and Ace Domination MP games. For a comparison I'm installing XAM to try it out.