Sign in to follow this  
GLeek

Request: Alternative vegetation detail

Would you have a new vegetation detail in arma2 ?  

93 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have a new vegetation detail in arma2 ?

• no , it run well
    • yes, i want because actual one sucks (perfs wise)
    • i don't care
    • who are you ?

Hi

i don't play arma2 anymore now. my single ATI 4870 1GB is not enough . even @1650x1080.

yes i could play with object detail @ minimum , but i'm not interested.

below, 2 screenshots proving performance crawl is caused by tree and bush.

1680x1050@20FPS (unplayable)

800x600@34FPS

Edited by GLeek

46 reading ,3 vote ? come on guys , vote !

i need your voice :]

There is nothing wrong with the vegetation, I have the same card with 512 video memory less. It works just fine at 1680x1050, medium terrain detail, high texture detail, 2x AA and the rest on very high.

Object detail is not the control you're looking for. Try landscape detail.

There is nothing wrong with the vegetation, I have the same card with 512 video memory less. It works just fine at 1680x1050, medium terrain detail, high texture detail, 2x AA and the rest on very high.

okay. download , new lddk island ,and walk few meter in forest.

here is my benchmark :F

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=OMBIN4QQ

---------- Post added at 09:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:42 AM ----------

Object detail is not the control you're looking for. Try landscape detail.

it does nothing . i can disable grass, it's still barely acceptable .

i get a better framerate, but i modified the island config . grass clutter go from 1.0 to 1.8 . i get 6fps more. 20 -> 26 . nearly playable ...

---------- Post added at 10:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:11 AM ----------

Your GPU isn't the bottleneck. What's your CPU, Ram, OS etc.

it does. look at my 2 screenshots. things are crystal clear

Yes there is, Ais can see you trough the clutter :p (an old discussed subject which still need solution)

I'm not quite sure if i understand the question in this poll..

If i would like to have a new vegetation?

If the mentioned problem not solved, yes please i want a new vegetation, if BIS can be completely fix the issue with it, no i don't want another vegetation.

Until i clear this doubt i won't vote. :j:

it does. look at my 2 screenshots. things are crystal clear

It is far from crystal clear. Your GPU is perfectly suitable to this game, which should run ok with it, with a good level of details.. But of course if you get rid of vegetation and terrain details it'll go faster...

It is far from crystal clear. Your GPU is perfectly suitable to this game, which should run ok with it, with a good level of details.. But of course if you get rid of vegetation and terrain details it'll go faster...

In his case it should run faster though, but since alot of others (inluding myself) have better performance with the 4870 i guess its something on his end.

2 shot at same point . same heading , same settings all indentical , BUT RESOLUTION . i underlined the GPU bottleneck here .

---------- Post added at 03:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:36 PM ----------

Yes there is, Ais can see you trough the clutter :p (an old discussed subject which still need solution)

I'm not quite sure if i understand the question in this poll..

If i would like to have a new vegetation?

If the mentioned problem not solved, yes please i want a new vegetation, if BIS can be completely fix the issue with it, no i don't want another vegetation.

Until i clear this doubt i won't vote. :j:

problem is not solved, because i don't want to unpbo and unbinarized all arma2 island project each time they are released.

with standard grass clutter, it still runs at 20fps , wich is unplayable. i can't play with these orange tree.

i would like an alternative vegetation detail slider not linked with soldier , vehicle , and building 3d detail. come on ! object on normal give you 1998 era graphics in your acog !

---------- Post added at 03:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:38 PM ----------

In his case it should run faster though, but since alot of others (inluding myself) have better performance with the 4870 i guess its something on his end.

you should try LDDK island . and see by yourself .

Edited by GLeek

And you still haven't given us your CPU/RAM/OS. It's not a given that your GPU is the bottleneck just because you cranked up the resolution. CPU plays a part in that as well.

Also turnng off AA will help if you are looking for more performance at higher resolutions.

object on normal give you 1998 era graphics in your acog !

I know exactly what you mean. I can only play a decently fluid game with 800x600 resolution and while playing with it reminds me my old games :rolleyes:

Though i like the gameplay in MP server, thats why i keep this resolution with my crappy system.

If new vegetation appears to improve FPS, i might use it.

AA and 3D Resolution for my rig kills my frame rate.

AA by a solid 20FPS

and 3D Res at 200% any Res by 15 or 20FPS.

I got an ATI 3650 512MB and I can hardly achieve 30FPS on Medium settings, with No AA.

BIS really needs to work on the Engine because I can Play Crysis on High at 30FPS. :mad:

Is there a Shader Option besides the fillrate in the final game?

i have a q6600 @ 3.2Ghz, 4gb ram and a 8800GTS 512mb and i get way better fps than you do. Must be something else. I dont think its your gpu since its way stronger than mine.

The poll doesn't really suit to the problem. You want an additional option to set the vegetation detail, but it's the engine that is not optimized. It makes no sense to me, so I didn't vote so far.

Anyway, I'm experiencing the same bad performance running a e8400, 4gb ddr2, 8800gt 512mb.

Mmh i think it is not the vegetation itself. If you have a problem in the editor, then the graphicscard is too slow. But the 4870 is not worst at all. Look at me. I have a HD 4850 with 512 MB and I can get 40-60 fps in some mp missions. But when i play sp with ai, I have to play 80% with the fps like you have: 24 fps...although i got a phenom II X4 945, 4850 512MB 4gb ram and XP...

Wait for patches or get a faster cpu.

Even on lowest settings, where the 4850 shouldn't hold the performance back, the cpu seems to be the bottleneck. But my mainboard only allows 95W cpus and i won't buy a 140W cpu! I hope BIS will "fix" or optimize the engine.

lowfps_1thumb.jpg lowfps_2thumb.jpg

Edited by telejunky

Yeah that the other thing: it should run very good with high fps, but there are only 23 fps with lowest settings...

Edit: read on the web that choosing an other energy profile which deactivates C'n'Q could help, and yeah, there is an improvement over 4-6 fps on the first mission :) In fact 5 seems not to be a lot more, but now I play with 28 fps instead of 24 and this is good for me :). Anyhow i wait for a patch increasing the performance like 1.08 did :)

Edited by telejunky

I want a new one that is optional with the old one. This way you can have a better preforming set, or a better looking set.