Sign in to follow this  
bushlurker

*CAA1* Domination A2 - Return To Sahrani

@ Bushlurker

How about making a new thread in BIF here to get more attention in addition?

.. and so here we are...

This is a (more or less) direct port of Xeno's current version of Domination A2 1.03 West AI back to the original Arma 1 island Sahrani - now available again in Arma 2 thanks to the untiring work of Kju and others via the CAA1 Project - go check it out now if you haven't already...

Some screenshots...

RTS_Title_thumb.jpg

base.jpg

corazol.jpg

paraiso.jpg

This mission was originally only meant as a little personalised "enticer" to persuade an Arma1 Domination friend to make the leap to Arma 2... as such, it's not absolutely 100% original...

Choppers #1 and #2 are Hueys - hitch and crate as normal.

There are "boomerang bikes" here and there around the base - saves legging it the length of the base and when you get where you're going - abandon it - it'll go back to where you found it...

Civilians are activated by default.

Other than those minor changes everything is basically standard as per Xeno's original..

Remember - this isn't a "forward port" of the old Arma 1 Domination into Arma 2 - it doesn't use the Arma 1 units or vehicles - its a "retroport" of the current Arma 2 Domination 1.03 over to the Sahrani island... ALL that's been done is to remap all spawn points and depots, vehicles and missions back to where I remember them from the Arma 1 version...

This means that - to all intents and purposes - this IS A2 Domination 1.03 West AI Unranked - along with any current hiccups it may have...

As far as I'm aware - no doubt someone will soon tell me different - all main targets and sidemissions should be restored to their original Arma 1 Domination 3.70 locations, and everything else seems to be working as it should...

In a brief PM with Xeno earlier I'd kinda hinted that maybe he might find time to add a special CAA1 Sahrani version of his A2 Dom 1.04 when he releases it, but he's a really busy guy, so I dont think he has the time...

I'll have a go myself when it comes out probably... it was easier than I thought :D

Meantime... the link...

Domination A2 1.03 - Return To Sahrani

Domination A2 - Return To Sahrani (@) *Armaholic Mirror * (Thanks Big!)

A familiar mission to try out the excellent CAA1 mod with (seems to run fine on my little dedi server too)...

Guess that's about it... It hasn't been playtested extensively as yet, but all the sidemissions should work as well as main targets... repair stations on base rebuild OK if destroyed, arti and drops seem OK...

This is, of course, entirely The Mighty Xeno's work, I've merely changed a few numbers...

B

Edited by Bushlurker

Brings a tear to my eye !!!! Welcome back Sahrani, how I have missed you.

Cheers Bushlurker :)

How about a small bullet point guide how to port the latest Domination to other worlds.

After all with little effort, you can have most ArmA I worlds in ArmA II now. :D

Good idea Kju!

If the goal is simply a port to a different island then it's really just a matter of collecting a huge number of suitable map location coords and remapping all the side missions, main targets, plus all the other assorted spawn points for things - then editing the appropriate scripts.....

Since Domination was on Sahrani before - the old Sahrani version actually contained ready-made coords for everything - so it was entirely a remapping exercise...

The same should be more or less true for any other island Domination "has already been on" - other islands would involve a bit of island hiking - gathering suitable sidemission spots, deciding where to put the base, etc

It's all part of Xeno's Cunning Plan of course... I'm firmly convinced he released Domination and told us all we were free to tear it apart and do what we liked with it because he knew we'd all become better scripters and gain understanding in the process...

As soon as you think "This is Great!... but I'd like....." and you actually open the mission, you're on your way to learning...

So cool...

Anyway - No Problema... I'm currently checking out OPFIP with a view to another port - this one will probably be trickier since I probably won't have ready made coords...

I'll keep a log of what I'm up to this time - take notes of which scripts are which and prepare a little guide... expect that fairly soon.....

Domination's one of the best ways to see a whole island anyway - if you do sidemissions you fairly get about... I always liked the look of Trinity Island in OFP and never really got to play on it...

Or maybe a mini-Domination - Nogova ??

I've got an idea for a "Domination Special Ops" too... a heavy adaptation down to a 4-man team....

See what I mean??? :D

B

In a brief PM with Xeno earlier I'd kinda hinted that maybe he might find time to add a special CAA1 Sahrani version of his A2 Dom 1.04 when he releases it, but he's a really busy guy, so I dont think he has the time...

I did mention this to him on the Dev Hev page, but didn't get a reply. Like you say, he's one busy chap.

There will be new versions of Domination maps for the island Sahrani ? :icon_rolleyes: :)

Hi Keshman...

Well.... yeah... I use this particular mission myself a LOT so one of the things on my to-do list is to drag the Sahrani version up to date with Xeno's latest 1.27 version...

I've been sidetracked off this one recently by a Domination port for Isla Duala, an other one for Sbrodj, and building an island thats a whole lot bigger than I realised :( (never, never attempt to build a 20x20km island singlehanded unless you're willing to go AWOL for 10 months... I'm currently on month 2 :D)

Actually - a better idea may well be to follow Kju's suggestion and write up a file-by-file guide on what needs changed in Domination to port to ANY island - 99% of it is just picking locations, collecting their coordinates, etc... and people like to tweak Domination! - it's almost a game in itself! :)

B

.. and people like to tweak Domination! - it's almost a game in itself! :)

B

He speaks the truth! Many a time I've been listening to my guys on comms playing Domi, while I've been messing with code. :)

I've played with it (Smalfedon-A1, Panthera-A2 etc)too an was for me basically a learning experience for editing once ya know where to find basic things in mission folder. Opened alot of doors for me editing wise. Would'nt worry i think Dom is probably one of the most edited missions in A1-A2. Nj dling.

Hi Guys!

how hard would this be to convert to ace mod????

Probably a little tricky! But there IS a much easier alternative!

So far I've skipped looking at ACE2... it was a little quirky in Arma1 until it got to about the 1.2 stage then the flaws had largely been ironed out and it became a must-have... Right now I'm working on several projects so I've avoided adding confusion for now...

However - Xeno IS an ACE fan since A1 days, so he's made Dom versions with all those zillions of quirky little required extras... That gives you two choices.... you can attempt to add all those ACE bits to this (fairly out of date) Sahrani Domination... OR... you can convert the most recent up-to-date-and-probably-working ACE2 Domination to work on Sahrani...

Despite - like Call_911 says - the intrinsic fun plus learning inherent in simply messing about with the Dom code - I'd pick the easier job - convert the latest ACE2 Dom to Sahrani...

You could do that yourself in an hour...

Take a look at my "Converting Dom to Different Islands" thread HERE - Find the section titled "How to do it yourself"...

You have a massive head start here, (which is why it should only take an hour), you DON'T need to collect positions for ANYTHING! They're ALL in the SAME places in the SAME files in the latest ACE2 version as they are in my old Sahrani version...

All you have to do is get the latest ACE2 Domination, a copy of this Sahrani one and unPBO both - sit them in windows side by side...

Then go thru the process described in my converting thread - in this case you're looking for all the "ifACE"-type codelines instead of the "ifEVERON"-type ones you see me using in the instructions, but - the principle is exactly the same!

Theres about 15 sets of location coordinates for things strung out over about 4 easy-to-find scripts - you have the appropriate Sahrani figures in MY version - just copy and paste 'em to the same parameters in YOUR chosen ACE version - that's all you need to do - should work just fine...

(Plus of course, there's the inevitable happy learning side-effect, as you scroll through the code and

start thinking things like "aha!, so if I just add a bicycle to this list - it'l be able to be loaded with ammocrates!!?? - hehe - clever... wonder what else I can fool with?" - and thus you learn stuff, almost without realising :D )

PS - Obviously, this same procedure could be applied to making Ace Domination versions for ANY island... all you need is Xeno's latest ACE2 Domination, and appropriate coordinates for the chosen island... If the island has been converted to Dom already - ANY version of Dom - then the coordinates are there already inside that version - it's just a careful copy and paste job!

Don't try to "Aceify" a version - relocate the ready-Aced version...

B

Edited by Bushlurker

nice work!!

However, I do crash when I run it in ACE2

-nosplash -mod=@CBA;@ACE;@ACEX;@ACEX_SM;@ACEX_PLA;@SAP;@CAA1

Hi gebageba...

Welcome to the forums!...

I'm afraid this is a rather old thread, and a rather old version of Domination Sahrani...

I'm sure someone has made a more up-to-date version by now - and probably an ACE2 compatible version as well - this isn't an ACE version - as you've noticed...

My primary suggestion would be to check the multiplayer listings in-game... see if anyone is running an ACE-compatible version of Dom Sahrani - if you see one, just join the game and it'll be automatically downloaded to your local machine and that's you sorted with a copy...

If not, then the post directly above yours in this thread explains how to make your own ACE version, using some basic location information easily copied from this mission - it's just a simple copy and paste task really...

Your final option is to check Bsilenced's Domination ports thread - he's done a variety of Dom versions - though I'm not sure if he's done any Sahrani ones.....

Personally - if you can't find a quick and easy ready made version, I'd consider having a go at making your own... it really IS very straightforward - theres full instructions plus a link to a complete step-by -step guide above... plus... if you've never had a peek around inside Domination before you'll find it quite interesting - Xeno has left all sorts of clearly labelled little "switches" in there you can fool around with - and change all sorts of stuff to suit your own personal style of play...

B

Edited by Bushlurker

nice work!!

However, I do crash when I run it in ACE2

-nosplash -mod=@CBA;@ACE;@ACEX;@ACEX_SM;@ACEX_PLA;@SAP;@CAA1

Have you got OAC?

Does it mention any error when you crash? Look for a server with Sahrani running and join it, you will get an error saying your are missing content.

hi

sorry,, I couldn't reply for the time being. :(

kdjac

I installed CAA1 and OAC. :)

But, as for ACE2, Domination didn't work.

I love Domination which Bushlurker ported.!

sahrani of Domination is the best.!!!!!!!!!!

Playing that with ACE is the most pleasant.

But, I play in the vanilla because there is no Domination corresponding to ACEmod. :(