Sign in to follow this  
Landstriker

ArmA 2 tip's & trick's for heli pilots.

Lolz... what are you talking about

Kinetic energy is the energy created by a moving object....

Friction... in this case air friction.... is the effect the air has on the helo... it is stronger in the same direction of movement, but in a reverse way.

So, by exposing a larger part of your helo to the direction of friction, you will loose kinetic energy and slow your helo down...

Hope it's understandable...

Very neat trick there. Will have to try it out. Not sure how it'll go in a Hind (I'm more of a Hind type of person than the UH-1Y), but hey, only one way to find out.

If you have Fraps, record it. Would love to see the result:)

I see youre using a gamepad, Ive been trying to get the hang of flying with gamepad. Whats your keys/button setup?

It's some old logitech gamepad, which came with "Prince of Persia - sands of time". It all really just comes down to how you prefer to have your setup.

I tend to cut the collective and wack on the auto hover at the last second you can land really fast this way.

I still haven't got the hang of helo flying... was a master in OFP though...

I tend to cut the collective and wack on the auto hover at the last second you can land really fast this way.

Nice tip, will have to try it out.

It's some old logitech gamepad, which came with "Prince of Persia - sands of time". It all really just comes down to how you prefer to have your setup.

I was hoping you would elaborate a bit for me please :) I just cant seem to find comfortable setup for the gamepad.

While I tend not to need to land this way in a transport chopper, I do use a similar technique for bleeding off speed in the cobra while maintaining cover (essentially I do a 180-degree turn with the ground to my left and the sky to my right and go from 250+km/h to a perfect hover with little to no translational movement). I hate being a gunner in a cobra when the pilot tries to slow down as we approach the hot zone by pulling back and subsequently climbing 100ft, so we're in clear view of all the ruttin' AA...

If you're going to pull back to bleed speed, at least cut the throttle a few seconds beforehand so your altitude doesn't change.

Edited by MH6

Doing lot's of transport in the MH-60, I tend to land it in small clearings in the woods or in the middle of the streets. Granted, if you have an open field, you technique works quite well and you get shield by the tree line.

With the transport chopper, I come in low and fast ( below 20 meters, and around 215 km/h ). If I dont want to raise my altitude and be ready to land quickly, I start pulling up slowly and cutting the throttle at 2000 meters from the target.

This will bring me at 100 Km/h at around 400 meters of the target and at that speed you can easily cut the throttle and right when you start dropping you flare. You will gain less than 2 meters in altitude and drop on the 3 wheels in no time.

Normally you'd start to pull the nose slightly up and cut the collective, this would allow you to slow down graduallly without gaining up height, thats how i do it.

Takes a bit more time, but works aswell.

Well normally in real life, those heli's wouldn't be reaching those speeds and they'd slow down alot quicker from pulling the nose up.

Doing lot's of transport in the MH-60, I tend to land it in small clearings in the woods or in the middle of the streets. Granted, if you have an open field, you technique works quite well and you get shield by the tree line.

With the transport chopper, I come in low and fast ( below 20 meters, and around 215 km/h ). If I dont want to raise my altitude and be ready to land quickly, I start pulling up slowly and cutting the throttle at 2000 meters from the target.

This will bring me at 100 Km/h at around 400 meters of the target and at that speed you can easily cut the throttle and right when you start dropping you flare. You will gain less than 2 meters in altitude and drop on the 3 wheels in no time.

Most of the experienced pilots might know this already, but for a rookie pilot it's a great tip. Keep em' coming :)

I hate being a gunner in a cobra when the pilot tries to slow down as we approach the hot zone by pulling back and subsequently climbing 100ft, so we're in clear view of all the ruttin' AA...

If you're going to pull back to bleed speed, at least cut the throttle a few seconds beforehand so your altitude doesn't change.

Couldn't agree more. Keeping below 30 meters or no higher then the treeline in front or around you is always the best way of keeping out of AA fire.

I was hoping you would elaborate a bit for me please :) I just cant seem to find comfortable setup for the gamepad.

Sure, will take a screenshot of my setup and gamepad and post it in this thread. :)

---------- Post added at 12:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:21 PM ----------

Well normally in real life, those heli's wouldn't be reaching those speeds and they'd slow down alot quicker from pulling the nose up.

True, same as the soldier wouldn't be looking like old ballerina dancer when trying to get over a fence :D

I've seen real Huey army helo's in action, and it's a beautiful sight.

Edited by Landstriker

While I tend not to need to land this way in a transport chopper, I do use a similar technique for bleeding off speed in the cobra while maintaining cover (essentially I do a 180-degree turn with the ground to my left and the sky to my right and go from 250+km/h to a perfect hover with little to no translational movement). I hate being a gunner in a cobra when the pilot tries to slow down as we approach the hot zone by pulling back and subsequently climbing 100ft, so we're in clear view of all the ruttin' AA...

x2

though when i've gunned in the cobra all the pilots fly directly over the AA:butbut:

x2

though when i've gunned in the cobra all the pilots fly directly over the AA:butbut:

In multiplayer, if you have a gunner in your cobra, I suggest you study the map around your objective carefully. Find a forest or a tree line with a good layer of trees between you and the objective. Bullets and missiles will hit the tree. I found that the best way to rack up a LOT of kills is to hover just above the tree line.

1. Watch for incoming missiles and tracers.
  2. Hover for no more than 10 to 30 secs at the same spot.
  3. Change spot often.
  4. Dont turn, bank, like a drunk pilot. You gunner cannot use the cannon if you keep moving around.
  5. Dont waste hellfires on BTR or Vodniks or soft targets. The cannon will do a good job on those softies.

Unless you have absolute air superiority, I dont suggest flying over a town. in fact, I NEVER fly close to a town. Even if there is only infrantry on the ground, on lucky shot can kill you or the gunner.

My gamepad setup has been added, see first thread for those of you who are interested.

check out this vid for ARMA1, it really helped me practice aircraft manouvreing:

-video by Dslyecxi

Did that once in OFP with the good old BAS chinook, ended not really nice, all passenger are dead because of a laggy control.

this is in fact one of the ways that heli pilot would use when they want to bleed off the speed before landing in a tight space, but as above post saying, they are doing it with a much reasonable speed and the turning is a lot larger then in the video, need not to said that real live chopper wouldnt do that kind of rolling angel

Did that once in OFP with the good old BAS chinook, ended not really nice, all passenger are dead because of a laggy control.

this is in fact one of the ways that heli pilot would use when they want to bleed off the speed before landing in a tight space, but as above post saying, they are doing it with a much reasonable speed and the turning is a lot larger then in the video, need not to said that real live chopper wouldnt do that kind of rolling angel

O'RLY ?!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXNCZlQcvGw

*edit*

Before you says : "BlaBla not combat operations BlaBlaBla"

Edited by The_Angry_Canadian

Damn, thats some really impressive flying!

Good example of keeping low behind the trees and then a quick hover up for the attack and then fly away, or back down.

Edited by Landstriker

Yeah it's pretty simple when you think about it. You are effectively using the main rotor as an air brake. You could even chuck the copter to the left or right at 45 degrees on an angle and with the nose slightly up and you will slow it down pretty fast. Arma1 was especially easy to maneuver choppers with as they could turn on a dime.

Now someone needs to do this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bm6WbuesUc&feature=fvw

O'RLY ?!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXNCZlQcvGw

*edit*

Before you says : "BlaBla not combat operations BlaBlaBla"

(As stated in the off topic thread that showed this video) That's an Radio Controlled chopper!! ok maybe not, but it does look fake sometimes...:D

"Ah...atc this is robinson r22 requesting clearance for beer bottle uncapping"

(As stated in the off topic thread that showed this video) That's an Radio Controlled chopper!!

Bullshit.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MBB_Bo_105

The four-blade rigid main rotor, a worldwide first, with fiberglass blades ensures high maneuverability. A Bo 105CBS used for promotional purposes by Red Bull USA is fully aerobatic, performing loops, rolls, Immelmanns and other maneuvers normally regarded as for fixed-wing aircraft only.[3][4] All main systems (hydraulics, electric, fuel, lubrication) were designed to be fully redundant.

My biggest concerns about chopper-flying in Arma were how to lose speed and even more so, how to lose altitude quickly. I found some site about RL chopper landing and it's the same way most do it in Arma:

- reduce throttle and pull up on the nose.

The author stated that often, the chopper will rise in altitude (called ballooning) when this is done. IIRC, improving your technique is what's needed - but that's RL.

I play a good amount of Evo and Domination so I just about always have a "Shilka up my ass" and get blown out of the sky often. I counter this by flying like an absolute lunatic trying to use cover and low altitude to prevent getting shot down.

I've used the OP's technique for a while now but in a more extreme fashion. When I near the LZ, I pitch the chopper (usually a UH-60) over almost 90 degrees and put it in "death spiral" to lose altitude very fast. The downside is that it can be quite hard to regain control of the chopper when you reached landing altitude...and cleaning up all your mates' vomit is a bitch!! :D

The reason I've reverted to this is simply because it takes forever to lose altitude with the Page Down key - often it does absolutely nothing. Is there another way to cut power using the keyboard?

Here's an interesting link for all Arma Chopper-jockies:

http://www.wikihow.com/Land-a-Helicopter-After-Your-Pilot-Has-Been-Killed

Edited by DesertJedi

My biggest concerns about chopper-flying in Arma were how to lose speed and even more so, how to lose altitude quickly. I found some site about RL chopper landing and it's the same way most do it in Arma:

- reduce throttle and pull up on the nose.

The author stated that often, the chopper will rise in altitude (called ballooning) when this is done. IIRC, improving your technique is what's needed - but that's RL.

I play a good amount of Evo and Domination so I just about always have a "Shilka up my ass" and get blown out of the sky often. I counter this by flying like an absolute lunatic trying to use cover and low altitude to prevent getting shot down.

I've used the OP's technique for a while now but in a more extreme fashion. When I near the LZ, I pitch the chopper (usually a UH-60) over almost 90 degrees and put it in "death spiral" to lose altitude very fast. The downside is that it can be quite hard to regain control of the chopper when you reached landing altitude...and cleaning up all your mates' vomit is a bitch!! :D

The reason I've reverted to this is simply because it takes forever to lose altitude with the Page Down key - often it does absolutely nothing. Is there another way to cut power using the keyboard?

The choppers in Arma2 juste "Float" too much. Even with a joystick, if I kill the throttle ( 0% ) it still takes forever to go down if your speed is above 100 Km/h. We just have to deal with it or just hope someone aint going to shoot at you while you are going 50meters up.

i seem to be able to lose a lot of speed and not climbing higher than 50 meters if I fly at around 1 meter at 200 Km/h and

1. Kill the throttle
  2. Pull up like a mad man
  3. Apply full left rudder
  4. Complete the 180 and raise the throttle at around 75%

That should take less than 100 meters to go from 200 to 0 without going above 50meters.

Like i suggested to some other people in this thread, fraps it! Would love to see some footage taken, with alternative landings or just general tips and tricks. :)

For those in the posts above, please stay on topic or discuss that via PM.

I use a joystick personally, an X52. Anyone who wants to fly well I would suggest binding the following commands to your flight stick: zoom in, zoom out, fire, bind twist to rudder left/right, third person, GPS, cycle through weapons, auto-hover (for VTOL). Bind a key that you can't hit accidently to "eject" - even the best of chopper pilots need this, especially with the ridiculous AA in ArmA2...

Then you fly like this:

-- seems slow now but most of the video is full speed.

Oh wait, you can't. Becaues ArmA2 doesn't have Littlebirds .:butbut:...

I use a joystick personally, an X52. Anyone who wants to fly well I would suggest binding the following commands to your flight stick: zoom in, zoom out, fire, bind twist to rudder left/right, third person, GPS, cycle through weapons, auto-hover (for VTOL). Bind a key that you can't hit accidently to "eject" - even the best of chopper pilots need this, especially with the ridiculous AA in ArmA2...

Then you fly like this:

-- seems slow now but most of the video is full speed.

Oh wait, you can't. Becaues ArmA2 doesn't have Littlebirds .:butbut:...

Cool video, nice flying. Sadly, i never really got into Arma.

Edited by Landstriker