Sign in to follow this  
Landstriker

ArmA 2 tip's & trick's for heli pilots.

I see a lot of ArmA 2 pilots that tend to pull back their choppers before going in for landing. Only "problem" with that is that once u pull the helo back, the helo will gain altitude, and at most times, leaving your underside exsposed to AA fire. Try my method instead. Even at high speed, landing will be easy and quick, once u master it

Check out the video (vimeo video). If you have any other videos, general tips or tricks for fellow ArmA 2 helo pilots, then feel free to share them here.

Youtube version of the video can be found Here

For those interested, my gamepad setup can be found Here.

Edited by Landstriker

Cheers. Feel free to add your own footage or possible share some tips about helo flying. Trying to learn as much as i can about the abilities of the arma 2 helos.

Nice landing there...Great pilot you are...=D

not bad..

nearly as good as me....

just kidding :) good job. in real life however, you would look a little retarded doing that in Afghanistan in a Black hawk or a hueyfor the marines and the crew would fall out/be dead before even landing :P

great job!

Lol, you got a good point there ;)

Luckily, one can play games and push the controls to the max and if it fails, one can always respawn hehe.

It's a nice landing but if your transporting troops to an objective which doesn't have a convenient field to land in with lots of space for you to slow down doing your tactic then it's kind of flawed.

Normally you'd start to pull the nose slightly up and cut the collective, this would allow you to slow down graduallly without gaining up height, thats how i do it.

@ LandStriker

Wow mate! it's works flawlessly

I have to be honest with you guys I just don't know how in all the OFP years of experience I haven't think of that earlier!!!

@ LandStriker

Wow mate! it's works flawlessly

I have to be honest with you guys I just don't know how in all the OFP years of experience I haven't think of that earlier!!!

Hehe, glad to hear that. :D

Normally you'd start to pull the nose slightly up and cut the collective, this would allow you to slow down graduallly without gaining up height, thats how i do it.

Takes a bit more time, but works aswell.

It's a nice landing but if your transporting troops to an objective which doesn't have a convenient field to land in with lots of space for you to slow down doing your tactic then it's kind of flawed.

True, you need a bit of open space, or at least u need to have a bit slower speed when coming in for the landing. It's all really just practice and failure. I'm all new to arma 2 piloting, but i like it so far :)

yeah this is a good technique, seen some pilots do it before and modified versions of it. how well can this be done with a keyboard, mouse combo though?

yeah this is a good technique, seen some pilots do it before and modified versions of it. how well can this be done with a keyboard, mouse combo though?

Guess if you got a pair of extra thumbs, it might be possible :p

I actually prefer the keyboard and mouse for most of my games, although it's proven to be quite the challenge in ArmA 2.

Principle is to eliminate the kenetic energy, through friction. So trick is to approach the landing at 90 or 180deg to final landing approach, offset maybe 200/300m, so you do a 'U turn into the LZ. The amount of bank, and the 'pull' back on the stick determines the rate of speed bleed off. As your speed comes down begin to level the machine, and keep the nose up, till speed hits 0.

Only works if u have enough room around the LZ to perform this approach, so pick you ingress carefully! :)

yes, can be done with the mouse and keyboard, just need to keep rolling the mouse to keep the cyclic 'pulled'.

Edited by Fish44

Great technique, works really well. Thanks for the tutorial.

Principle is to eliminate the kenetic energy, through friction.

Lolz... what are you talking about

Nice! Good alternate for open terrain.

(Kriss, he's talking about slowing the helo down...)

I see youre using a gamepad, Ive been trying to get the hang of flying with gamepad. Whats your keys/button setup?

Cool, good to see people know how to use the chopper to full effect when landing

Thats the only way i land, using a sidewinder joystick. Its alot easier to do now with throttle used on the stick itself. I just keep practising. I still crash at rare times into trees and buildings or if i' get too low lol.

I just open up the editor and use chernarus, i also throw in some aa fire at times and try to dodge it and land out of view after flying past the aa. This is when i send in my AT soldiers to hunt the AA units

Cool video (and music).

Personaly I like to come in straight on, drop the collective all the way then pull back hard. This prevents too much climb and slows down the helo pretty quickly. Then I set it down with just a little bit of foward speed (like 10).

I'm doing landings like that myself with mouse and keyboard and it's really easy.

Very neat trick there. Will have to try it out. Not sure how it'll go in a Hind (I'm more of a Hind type of person than the UH-1Y), but hey, only one way to find out.