Sign in to follow this  
calo_mir

Control configuration catastrophe

The control configuration system seems pretty broken.

I'm trying to come up with a more efficient layout for the way I

play and am running into apparent bugs. Possibly the game hasn't

really been tested with anything other than the default control

scheme.

Attempt to map 'Zoom' to the mouse wheel

• Mapping 'Zoom in' to 'Mouse wheel up' just causes
    the view to stutter when scrolling the mouse wheel up - the
    zoom only occurs when the wheel is actually being scrolled,
    and immediately snaps back when it stops.
  • Mapping 'Zoom in (toggle)' to 'Mouse wheel up' does nothing
    at all - no doubt because it toggles it on and then immediately
    toggles it off with the continuous motion of the wheel.
  • Mapping 'Zoom in (continuous)' works the same as 'Zoom in'.

Keyboard controlled action menu

Attempting to use 'Ctrl+W-A-S-D' to control the action menu instead of

the mouse wheel is difficult. I intended to use 'Ctrl-D' to open the

menu, 'Ctrl-W' and 'Ctrl-S' to scroll up and down the menu/respectively.

'Ctrl-D' to select items and 'Ctrl-A' to go back.

There doesn't seem to be any control to actually open the action menu

when standing still. Opening it another way by, say, pressing 'Space' to

command units works fine. I can scroll up and down the menu, select

items and cancel selections using the keys above. As soon as I get into

a vehicle, the scroll up/down buttons stop working (meaning I'm stuck

with whatever the default choice is in the menu - usually switching

seats).

Strange, duplicate, conflicting items in the menu

Try the 'All controls' filter. You'll see an option for 'Go prone'.

Select the 'Infantry controls' filter. The 'Go prone' option is

nowhere to be found but there's a new item called 'Prone' further

down in the list - the two aren't the same, you can set different

controls for both.

Modifiers don't block other keys

Try mapping 'Toggle weapons' to 'F' (the default) and also 'Raise weapon (toggle)'

to 'LeftCtrl-F'. The 'LeftCtrl-F' combination will raise/lower the weapon but

will also toggle weapon settings (between semi/burst/grenades, etc).

Mapping crouch/prone to the same key

Try mapping 'Crouch' to 'C' and 'Go prone' (and 'Prone', remember), to '2xC'.

No matter how many times you press '2xC' whilst standing, you'll always

crouch first. You effectively have to press the key four times.

These are just some of the things found after about 15 minutes of

configuration. I don't doubt there are more problems. I'll file

bug reports on each of these if anyone will confirm it's not

just me.

:yay: Banana action.

---------- Post added at 03:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:27 PM ----------

Additional: Mapping 'zoom' to the mouse wheel does actually zoom in if you've got optics or iron sights selected - it'll zoom in a tiny fraction each notch the mousewheel moves and stay at that zoom level. It's basically unusably slow, however.

I should add that this is with the 1.3 beta, 58814

Edited by calo_mir
Version

Your "go prone" / "prone" differenciation is actually not really a bug, but actually 2 differents actions (badly explained, I'll easily conceed ;) ) :

- 1st is to go prone. If you push again the button, you'll go prone again, ie do nothing

- 2nd is a switch. 1st press is going prone. Second press is going back up, so you can switch between prone and standing up with a single key, instead of 1 key for each function

I actually remapped the stance keys to these "switch" version, the one switching between prone and standing up, and the one switching between crouched and standing up. It free up one key (you don't need the "stand up" key anymore)

Your "go prone" / "prone" differenciation is actually not really a bug,

I see. Vaguely makes sense.

The real bug there, then, is that either one of those options disappears when you switch between 'Infantry controls' and 'All controls'.

First thing I did in this game was delete most of the default controls and remap them.

I see. Vaguely makes sense.

The real bug there, then, is that either one of those options disappears when you switch between 'Infantry controls' and 'All controls'.

Well, the real bug is the complete lack of proper description

I have no probs with zooming maps with mouse wheel.... did not read any further :)

I have no probs with zooming maps with mouse wheel...

Er, did you actually mean 'zooming maps' or did you mean 'mapping zoom', like controlling scope/view zoom with the mouse wheel? To be clear, I meant trying to map scope/view zoom doesn't work for me.

sorry my bad... but no I dont have the prob either way

I do see some small issues but nothing major for me....yet

I am not running any 3rd party controller software... you seem to have more than ur share of issues

Well it is a complex system with very many combination.

Hi all. :)

Welcome to the forums! :p

Just a NOTE: I have remapped almost every key in the game. Other than realizing that some things just cannot be mapped on the same key, I have had little problem. (Translation... no insult intended.)

OP = "Attempt to map 'Zoom' to the mouse wheel"

From what you describe, your mouse and the game commands are not broken. They are working properly. - The roll/click of the mouse wheel is an increment. That's why, for instance, in your desktop mouse software, you might set the wheel to scoll a line or a page. - In ArmA 2 game settings, you need to think of it the same way. - Zoom In is a tempoary state. When mapped to the wheel, it will be an increment. Since the mouse wheel is designed to work as such, it will not continue to increment without input. But, of course, as you have seen, you will never be able to 'increment' as fast as the game software. As you decribed, it 'stutters. - You can set Zoom Toggle to the wheel and it will work. Again, though, you can only roll the wheel once, or you are causing multiple states/commands(increments). You roll the wheel one increment, it zooms in and holds that state, and the next single increment will release that state.

OP = "Keyboard controlled action menu"

OP = "Attempting to use 'Ctrl+W-A-S-D' to control the action menu instead of

the mouse wheel is difficult. I intended to use 'Ctrl-D' to open the

menu, 'Ctrl-W' and 'Ctrl-S' to scroll up and down the menu/respectively.

'Ctrl-D' to select items and 'Ctrl-A' to go back."

Now, this is a tuff one. You just have to find combos that actually work, and work for you. You will probably have to use more than one 'intitial' key. Meaning, Ctrl+<something>, or LeftAlt+<something>, or whatever. Since it seems to me you are using, mostly, the default keys, and I do not know what you have changed, I cannot say. I did try your key combos you mentioned, and some would not work at all. I guess that is what you meant by, "difficult"?

OP = "There doesn't seem to be any control to actually open the action menu

when standing still. Opening it another way by, say, pressing 'Space' to

command units works fine. I can scroll up and down the menu, select

items and cancel selections using the keys above. As soon as I get into

a vehicle, the scroll up/down buttons stop working (meaning I'm stuck

with whatever the default choice is in the menu - usually switching

seats)."

If you have no units to command, any F1 key should open the menu, or whatever key you have set to Back should open the menu, or, if you are a leader or a unit, whatever key corresponds to your position should open the menu.

The second comments about entering a vehicle is a game design. You enter a tank, now your primary responsibility is to command, drive, gunner that tank. Thus, the immediate opening of the menu for that vehicle. - I am sure you realize you have an option to set a key for Select All Units, and of course being able to break the units into different groups (by color). When using armor and infantry these two are invaluable. Of course, you still need a 'convenient' bind to open the menu.

OP = "Strange, duplicate, conflicting items in the menu"

OP = "Modifiers don't block other keys"

OP = "Mapping crouch/prone to the same key"

For the three above, I tend to think they are not bugs, just limits of implementation. For example C to crouch, then binding Cx2 to stand. Now, this actually works OK by itself, but when you throw Go Prone or Prone into the mix, it breaks. ...

You kneel, then prone, then hit C twice to stand... ooops, you have to kneel first... then hit C twice again, THEN you can stand. I played with key combos for these three commands till I was bleeding out of my ears. I finally gave up. It was not a big deal for me, though, because I try to stay out of third person as much as possible. Sooo, I put one key to Prone (not Go Prone), a key to crouch, and a key to stand. No matter what, when in first person, I ALWAYS know what position my character is in, and what to do to change him. I find this is an asset (for me) in helping with situational awareness, because I never have to wonder or guess about the stance of my character (in FP) and can concentrate on other things.

Many players would probably just rather have a toggle kneel and a toggle prone bind. That would do away with stand (if coded properly). Me, I actually like 'my' setup.

Again, about all, there are just limitations on what can be bound together. Whether it be because of bugs, game or code limitaions, is not completely clear to me. However, I believe I have had good success with key binds, meaning I have a great many keys doubled and even tripled bound.

-

'You' should see my config. I know most of you would wonder how in the world I play with it. I am right handed, but my main control keys are on my Num Pad.

Anyway, some sample examples of binds I have: (I am sure others have great bind examples that are probably better than mine. Maybe there should be a thread on this.)

3 keys bound to prone, stand, crouch... Walk or run temporary is bound to all the same three keys. For me, I like it.

I found that when I was stepping over something, I was usually running up to it, sooo...

my forward key + double tap another key gets me over, and the key I am double tapping already has three things bound to it.

I discovered I could use the Get Out (one tap), Eject (two taps), and the Switch to handgun all on the same key.

One key... Turn out, two taps... Turn in, one tap. Since these are vehicle commands, I can use the same keys for infantry commands, and even helo commands, and they don't comflict (which you all know, of course).

For Look, I double tap the Command Mode key and hold. It is just a tiny bit annoying to see the command interface come up for a fraction of a second, but hey, a key saved.

The list goes on, but it really does not matter. To each his own. I just combined as much as I could for the way I want my binds to be placed.

---------- Post added at 08:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:41 AM ----------

calo__mir,

Let me be clear by stating, I am not contradicting you, especially about the stances. Yes, it would be nice to be able to set a double click command and have it actually work, etc.

My main point was just that we have to figure out what combos actually work for what commands. Thus, my comment, "some things just cannot be mapped on the same key", and, "You just have to find combos that actually work". Maybe some of this will be changed/fixed.

IMHO, I think the key mapping options, or lack of, is not very well thought out. I believe it could have been a lot better and simpler.