Sign in to follow this  
CaptainBravo

Take the Airport - A large scale mission

Take the Airport

So this is my first released mission and I appreciate constructive feed back.

I have always wanted a LARGE scale combat mission and this is a large scale with tanks, planes, helicopters, paratroopers, heli insertion, artillery and ofcourse tons of infantry!

The mission objectives:

- Clear and Secure landing zone for Delta company whol will be insetred in LZ.

- Assist in taking the village of Vybor

- Finally primary objective assist Delta Company in taking airfield.

Direct Command: You have direct command of 3 infantry squads and 1 tank platoon and 2 AAV7. You also have artillery for fire mission support.

Allies: Delta Company will be inserted by helicopters in LZ.

Air Support:

- F35 Squadron + A10 Squadron (no direct control)

- Apachie sqadron for close ground support/supression (no direct control)

Enemy: approx 800 troops backed by approx 20 tanks and air support (sqaudrons of Su34 and SU25 and 1 squadron of K50.

Artillery (please see read me on how to use)

This missions uses Hypered High Command (by Mr_Centipede) (please see read me on how to use)

This mission was designed to give player some control (over his troops via HC) yet be part of a larger group in operation.

This mission is 5th version release and I am looking forward to your feedback.

Addons needed (and included in file):

- Sentinel Weapons (addon by Archangel)

Reduce the ability of the AI's to inflict first round kills on both human and other AI opponents at long range. This not only increases the duration of firefights but also gives human players a chance to fire back without being killed outright -although this can and does still happen the frequency has been reduced to almost realistic levels, thus adding to the overall atmosphere of the game. It all about atmosphere after all :)

- PMC Apache (addon by Snake Man)

Purpose of this addon is to have a helicopter that actualy can give close ground support!

VOP sound mod 2.1 Best sound mod IMO and adds to atmosphere (not included in file but click on below link to download:

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=5884

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is the latest version (1.5) which is close to final release version.

It has a hot fix for artillery (now works in MP) and you should see some interesting air show during mission! :)

V1.5:

Filefront: http://www.filefront.com/14485767/Operation_Takeairport.rar

----------------------------------------------------------------------

I am working on final release version where enemy will use artillery against your forces position!

Edited by CaptainBravo
Updated Version

CaptainBravo, can u confirm the addon requirement pointed by L_rch?

Not bad. I see what you are trying to do, and the scale is good. A few suggestions though for future upgrades - one is that the statically placed defenders are setup with movement disabled so you can just walk up to their sides or back and they can do nothing. Once the player figures this out they are just so many zombies and it takes away from the experience. Try using "doStop this" instead. You can freeze the squad leader if you want to keep them from following him if he runs off. Just back him into a corner or something to hide his lack of motion.

Also the airport is full of towers and great places to put defenders yet I don't see any of them being used. It would be interesting to see some additional defenses put up too like bunkers, sand bags, tank traps, static weapons etc.

A few other things - there is still a teleport active in the radio, I assume you don't want that there. Also putting the Arty on radio is basic and works fine, but you might want to do something more interesting and immersive like timed or earned support requests, etc.

Thanks for everyone's feedback.

Although I used Sentinel Weapons addon I did not believe it would be required as it is not used as an addon in actual mission. It just converts weapons to High Disp if it is there and should works without. I played same mission on LAN without.

So could someone please confirm if mission says it is required?

Thanks Binesi for the tips and feedback.

- The teleoprt was for testing and I forgot to remove from release version.

- The few "zombie" units are there for surprise ambush but the issue is once you have found them it is easy to get around them. I will play with dostop command and test and be more "creative" next time.

- Artillery, I am testing something different and will be in next version.

- I have a few designed "tough" defenses for airport in next version.

Did you find it balanced? too easy? too hard?

Again, thanks for everyone's feedback.

Edited by CaptainBravo

CaptainBravo, can u confirm the addon requirement pointed by L_rch?

I'm quite sure hes right. I have the same problem. It gives an error some sort of downloadeble content was deleted, wich is required for this addon. Called Sentinel weapons.

I think it is safe to say you need that too.

I should have a new version up soon. It will have new artillery, tougher and meaner AI and I will make sure there is no addon requirment.

Please see new version uploaded in first post. It has also been tested in MP and seems to work fine.

Edited by CaptainBravo

hi there, thanks for your update.

I have a few questions though.

I Installed the bikeys for the PMC_Apache and Sentinel Weapons addons and the mission file from Armaholic.com onto our server and rebooted it.

I then put the mission file into my MPmissions folder. After this I made two mod folders in my ARMA 2 install folder. One called @PMC_Apache and one called @sen_weapons. In these folders I put the usual Addon sub folders and put the two files (.pbo and bisign) for these addons into their respective addon folder.

I then added the usual "-mod=@blah blah" into my taget line in my shortcut.

After this I launched the game and joined out server which didn't pull up any problems. However, when I pull up the missions page I select the mission but it defaults back to the mission that our server is set to default to.

This is the server log

12:19:50 Mission co07 Island Twilight read from bank.

12:20:06 Roles assigned.

12:20:06 Reading mission ...

12:20:18 Mission read.

12:22:57 Mission Operation_FUBR.Chernarus read from bank.

12:22:57 Mission co07 Island Twilight read from bank.

Any help would be appreciated

I've managed to get it going on my system on a lan setting but its the same as above with our dedi server.

Has anyone else got it working on a dedi? If so how did you do it?

CaptainBravo, my time with this mission on my own was pretty intense, well done!!

hi wobbly,

Thank you for trying the mission and the feedback.

I have only tested it in hosted MP and it works great. I have not had a chance to test on dedicated yet .. but in theory it should work on dedicated.

What do you mean by "However, when I pull up the missions page I select the mission but it defaults back to the mission that our server is set to default to." ?

Thanks again for your feedback.

What I mean is I log onto the dedi, get the mission screen up, scroll down to your mission, select it and the screen blinks for a second and its back to the default mission. All you see on the dedi server console is the same as the post I did earlier on.

It should work like you say but it seems to attempt to load but then can't and defaults back to the default mission we have in our config.

Hmm that is a strange issue. I don't have access to a server at the moment to test.

Is mission twelight the other mission that replaces (FUBR) take airport mission? if yes, then I can not think of any logical reason why.

I wonder if this issue would be repeated on another server :confused:

In the server config Twilight is the mission that we set to default to. So when we try to load FUBR it can't load it and it defaults back to twilight.

I can't wait to get this running on the dedi. I am hosting a LAN in 3 weeks time so at least I will be able to play it alongside 35 players or so :)

As for another server. Can any other dedi server operators try and run this map for fault diagnosis purposes please?

Okay I might be thick here but do you have to install the sen_weapons on the server as you would on your own install and the same for the hele model?

yes, you have to install all addons needed on server and those joining should have the addon installed as well.

However, I am finishing new version and will releasse 2 flavors of it: one with addons and a plain vanilla one with no addons needed at all.

I like this, I really do.

It is a shame that the M1's and those funny amphibious units don't last more than a minute or two due to enemy air.

I would rather hold the A10's back until the enemy fighters are down, and add extra F35's .

One oddity, I told the arty to cease fire, hoping to be able to assign a different target a little faster. The menu never appeared after that, no way to get any arty unit at all.

Anyone know where to get a list of Nato Symbols ?

I've worked out the symbol for infantry but would like to know what the diamonds with dots are at the airport ( haven't got there yet :( )

Hi fusionofp,

Thank you for trying the mission.

Here is a link to NATO symbols and good info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/APP-6A

The art is an issue I have not encountered (you playing last version uploaded on here I assume). But will try to duplicate this weekend.

We are testing a new version where the Air component has been optimised to give armor a chance.

Also the enemy in new vesion will ahve artillery and will not hestitate to use it ..

I will upload new version this weekend once we have tested a few more times in MP setting (already works fine in SP).

Thank you for your feedback.

Brilliant, looking forward to the new version.

As for trying to replicate the arty problem, the only thing I can remember is that I was using the "big" guns, can't remember the Mxxx numbers.

Is the enemy arty those red dots in boxes at the airfield ?

Hi i like the mission but the pmc_apache keeps giving errors and not showing, it is installed in mods folder and the game is run using arma 2 launcher. The error message is (You cannot play/edit this mission it is dependent on content that has been deleted. pmc_apache). I have the latest version of the mod as per this site .Have down laoded the apache seperately but still error

Same, can't play the mission...

It would of really helped to have the mod author set it up how it's supposed to work when you drag+drop it to avoid problems like this

EDIT: just figured it out, you need to have it say "@pmc_apache" (for example on the pmc mod), then inside that folder have one that says "addons" and then inside that one put the mod files.

EDIT2:

Played the mission... I really have no idea what is going on or what to do. Sorry. It seems very action packed but I just don't like it because everything feels totally random plus I don't understand how to actually PLAY it in the sense on what player to choose etc.

The only one that seemed to work was the first "tank commander" player, but the problem with that is you become serious bait for AT soldiers by being a tank (which makes them p. useless as they die easy), and no one else seemingly does anything, even if I play as them.

Edited by KorJax

Hey everyone,

Sorry for delayed update (very busy schedule in RL) but will have new version soon with removed all addons (except sen_weapons) which makes AI less accurate ie more human.

The mission is very large scale action packed as pointed out (not for stealth fans) :). It is supposed to show large scale war chaos. Not everyone's cup of tea (my fav type). It easier to play with other human squad leaders due to better team play.

As for not knowing what do, do you mean breifing was not clear enough?

Thanks again for trying mission and feed back. I will post updated version soon.

Well there wasn't a briefing at all. The map screen was completely blank of information.

The only thing I can do is choose to spawn as the default "Tank commander" player (all the other 70 selectable players don't seem to work to well trigger wise), and when the game starts I just *spawn* as a tank commander in the tank and nothing else happens other than the occasional plane flying overhead. I assume only to move towards the red squares? And being a tank commander means I get a very crappy selection of gear.