Sign in to follow this  
UbiquitousUK

SP Mission: "A Different Kind of War" by UbiquitousUK

A Different Kind of War

arma22009082222273151.jpg

arma22009082222303744.jpg

Force recon is tasked with eliminating elements of an insurgent opium smuggling operation north east of Krasnostav. A recent upsurge in insurgent activity in the Northern quarter of Chernarus has been linked with poppy farming activities in the area around Krasnostav. Poppies are farmed for opium, which exported to Utes for use in the manufacture of the drug heroin destined for Europe and the Americas, and we estimate that as much as thirty percent of world opium production takes place here in Chernarus. This illegal drug trafficking is financing a large proportion of the insurgency, and it is expected that interrupting their supply chain will severly inhibit their ability to procure new arms, armaments, and personnel for use in their campaign against US forces in the South.

This is my first release since "Sweep & Strike" a moth or two ago. If you like this, please check that mission out too and stop by with some feedback! I am particularly interested in feedback regarding the difficulty level of the mission. This mission now also has a pair of sequels: "A Different Kind of War II" and A Different Kind of War III.

New Version 1.21 (29/08/09) Download: (ArmAholic); (ArmedAssault.info); (FileFactory)

Changes in 1.21

(*) Added insurgent guards to the airfield control tower.

(*) Added some local civilian life.

(*) Added some barrels to the compound and populated the surroundings with various other objects.

(*) Some insurgents now have random presence.

(*) Added a couple of extra OPFOR units.

Fixes in 1.2

(*) Moved insertion location so that heli is not shot at, and does not land on any telegraph poles!

(*) Added weapon/ammo box in spawn.

Fixes in 1.1

(*)Player shouldn't be shot out of helicopter on insertion.

Edited by UbiquitousUK

Hi UbiquitousUK, good to see another mission from you! :cool:

Bit of a problem with this one from the start though, i've had several attempts & on each one the chopper comes under fire when its coming into the landing zone, and on each go ive died before ive even been able to disembark :( I dont know if its just bad luck I keep getting hit but it happened on each go!

Nice!!!!! Thanks bud!! I just got your other mission called "Sweep and Strike" the other week and I simply love it! Ive played thru it about 4 times and I enjoyed it each time. Fantastic work on that one bud! Its definatly one of my favorite user made missions so far.

I cant wait to try this new one bud!!!! If its even half as good as your previous one Ill be stoked!!!

if you ever need any voice work/acting for any of your future mods let me know!!! :)

Edited by kozzy420

Thanks trickster1982,

It should be fixed so that you never die on insertion now. Hope you give the mission another go, and find it to your liking!

kozzy420: Glad that you enjoyed that mission, and hope that you like this one too.

Edited by UbiquitousUK

Very nice - I haven't tried your first mission Sweep & Strike yet but I will be sure to do that after having played this one. I was filled with anticipation as I approached the first objective and I really made an effort to skirt around the MG emplacements as far as it was possible and take general care after having closed in beyond them. Which proved to pay off as I aproached the center of the compound (the hangar).

All in all, a great mission - It felt very realistic with the MG emplacements and general layout of enemy forces. Looking forward to playing Sweep & Strike aswell as any other missions you release in future.

Thank you for your work!

Hi UbiquitousUK..

Thx for this nice mission.. keep them coming..and try to use more towns on the map..

many missions are on same towns..chernarus is big.. and some cool intro movies would

be even better..BTW i did survive the chopper landing..

over and out..

Wow! This mission completely recaptured the ofp magic for me. It is the first mission in a while that has forced me to think tactics. I tried using smoke, but kept getting mown down by all the static defences - then switched tactics by flanking them and deploying my sniper to take out their defences. I have loved both your missions so far, please keep them coming. Do you have have any plans to do a campaign (even a small one)? The only issue I had with the initial release of the mission was that the helicopter tried to land on a phone pole. I did get shot at during the insertion but we took no casualties.

Please keep them coming

Weird, seems I have the 1.1 release and the chopper tried to land on that pole, too. But was shot down then. Insertion is too close to the enemy imo.

Thank you for the great feedback guys!

Okay, time to canvas oppinon:

I'm aware of the various insertion issues. The next viable insertion point is about three times as far away as the current one (actually, it's the hill where Manhattan is located in the campaign). Moving the insertion to there is really easy, but I would like to know if people would prefer:

(i) Move the insertion further away (and have a longer walk to the target).

(ii) Move the insertion further away, but put a couple of patrols en route to the target to make the walk interesting (need to be careful that I don't get guys shooting at the chopper again though).

(iii) Leave everything as it is.

(iv) Start the player on that (Manhattan) hill with a vehicle so that he can drive to the target (and get rid of the heli insertion completely).

or

(v) Something else

Edit: On the issue of a campaign, I have planned (as you may have guessed from the briefing) a sequel to this mission, which is based on Utes, and sees the player going after the main Insurgent heroin operation there. I guess that these two missions would then form a mini-campaign of sorts. After that, I have no specific plans, other than to try to make more stuff that people enjoy playing!

Edited by UbiquitousUK

I opt for option 1+2 with a tendency to 2, cos I love heli insertions. But even for a heli-insertion-lover 4 sounds not bad too - but I havent said that... ;)

An insertion around s-e Krasno isnt an option? Guess you want to sent us directly into the static defenses, eh? =)

Btw. would be kind if you could lower the "30% world poppy seed production" a few tads to ... maybe 5%? 30 is really, really high if you relate the small space to e.g. the real south american coca plantages etc.

Thank you for this mission! I have not finished it yet but I think it is even better than Sweep and Strike.

The first thing I liked about it is that you chose the same starting point or head quarters. This brings some consistency to your missions - like a trade mark of sorts.

I must say I ran around the base in search of the ammo crate from Sweep and Strike because I wanted to get rid of the rifle with the holosight. Have you decided that I should practise more with the awful holosight? If I may make a suggestion: Please bring back the weapons crate. The base doesn't feel like home without it!

In a single player mission where you cannot communicate with the rest of the team, long transport scenes tend to be a bit boring. Perhaps you could make it a cut scene which can be skipped? Or perhaps you could make the flight more interesting by providing some random threats like enemy patrols equipped with one or two AA missiles and/or an enemy helicopter? The player could take a door gunner position. If the transport helicopter is hit, the team could bail out and continue on foot - either back to base where an AAV would wait for a second try or directly to the mission objective. Anyway, the flight worked well for me (version 1.1, I heard someone shooting when the helicopter landed but it was not hit and we did not land on a pole, either).

The distance to the objective was a little short, but three times as long would probably be too long. I suggest to leave the insertion point where it is.

This is what I have tried after the insertion:

In order to avoid the "static defenses" I took a long walk through the forest and approached the little village from the rear. Unfortunately I had not issued the "hold fire" command and my team engaged the enemy too early. I retreated before one of my guys was hit and saved the game. In three of four attempts we were beaten by the AI though I learned where to expect the enemies. Well, at least I know where the Russian weapons crate is, so next time i will try to steal a scoped rifle before the fireworks start!

Ive moved the insertion point closer to s-e of krasno. Cos I prefer to approach the first camp from the side anyways its a perfect point for me and no more shot down choppers =)

Okay, I put up a new version with insertion SE of Krasnostav, which should (I hope) fix all of the insertion problems. I also added a weapon/ammo box in the spawn, just like in "Sweep & Strike".

I think that the 30% production figure is reasonable given that, in the real world, Afghanistan produces 75-80% of the world's supply of heroin!

Hope you enjoy the new version. Thanks again for the amazing feedback, and keep it coming please!

Edited by UbiquitousUK

Thank you for the great feedback guys!

Okay, time to canvas oppinon:

I'm aware of the various insertion issues. The next viable insertion point is about three times as far away as the current one (actually, it's the hill where Manhattan is located in the campaign). Moving the insertion to there is really easy, but I would like to know if people would prefer:

(i) Move the insertion further away (and have a longer walk to the target).

(ii) Move the insertion further away, but put a couple of patrols en route to the target to make the walk interesting (need to be careful that I don't get guys shooting at the chopper again though).

(iii) Leave everything as it is.

(iv) Start the player on that (Manhattan) hill with a vehicle so that he can drive to the target (and get rid of the heli insertion completely).

or

(v) Something else

Edit: On the issue of a campaign, I have planned (as you may have guessed from the briefing) a sequel to this mission, which is based on Utes, and sees the player going after the main Insurgent heroin operation there. I guess that these two missions would then form a mini-campaign of sorts. After that, I have no specific plans, other than to try to make more stuff that people enjoy playing!

Hi..UbiquitousUK

Maybe after sequel to this mission, which is based on Utes, you could add third mission on chernarus.. And on that mission the player could go after

heroin operation leaders.. maybe as sniper.? couple of leaders with bodyguards around a big villa..? elimination mission, a small one..:confused:

over and out

Finally got around to playing this, its awesome to bud, just like your previous mission.

Great work bud! I cant wait to try your next missions!!! :cool:

You really know how to have intense fights and good atmosphere, thanks alot (:

If you need any voice acting for any of your missions please let me know (:

Edited by kozzy420

Nice mission, thank you.

I found it a little hard. I ended up reloading a few times while approaching the main objective even though I tried to use good tactics, cover and smoke.

I have just finished version 1.1 and I have to agree with Greg: It was hard. But it was not unfair. I enjoyed it because it was challenging and believable.

I found the airport was the easiest part. I liked the way you fortified the airport, but why was the tower empty? There was a helicopter preparing to take off, after all. I would expect two or three officers (binoculars and pistols) in the tower and perhaps one or two regular soldiers on guard duty inside the tower.

I don't know if it was intended or not: When I had almost cleared the airport, the helicopter took off. I was busy with the last armed enemies and ignored it because it was no direct threat against us. After the helicopter had left, I could continue playing but I could not see the tasks in the map, anymore. The map showed the statistics, instead. Is this your way of telling me "mission failed" or did I do something wrong? Anyway, I think it is a good idea to keep the mission going on even if it is lost as long as the player is alive. A moment later I was killed and loaded a saved game. This time I managed to disable the helicopter and the mission continued as it should, with the objectives showing in the map.

I don't know if this is a bug in the mission or an ArmA issue: I wanted to rearm at the crate in the insurgent camp. Accidently I placed a bomb instead of choosing a rifle (nervous mousewheel!). I deactivated the satchel and it disappeared so that I could not retrieve it.

The final part was difficult, again. Probably because of my poor management skills. I think this mission would make good coop material.

Thank you again for a wonderful mission with carefully placed opponents, attention to detail and a well-told story. I can't wait for more. Well, I can, but i don't want to.

Okay, the deal with the helicopter is like this: The original idea was to have a task to secure the helicopter, but make it effectively impossible so that the helicopter's escape would be a kind of motivation for the sequel. I was worried, though, that the player would be confused by being told that he/she'd failed a task which was effectively set-up to be impossible, so I stripped the task out and left the helicopter there for a bit of atmosphere. I'm not quite sure why the tasks disappear now, but that's definitely a bit of a bug, although I didn't have the same issue, so it may be either a mission or an engine bug. Will check it out, and try to reproduce it. Has anyone else had the same issue?

On the control tower: I had some guys on the roof of the tower at one point, but it was a bit messy because if they went prone you couldn't see that they were there, and there was no way to complete the airfield mission without killing them. I do think that you're right to say that (a) the airport part is a lot easier than the rest, and (b) having some guys in the tower would be nice. I shall look at that too!

Not sure about the satchel charge bug—that sounds like it might be an ArmA issue. In any case, there is a supply of satchel charges close to the radar facility for anyone that needs them.

And to Flyfinn: I like your idea. I haven't ruled out an 'Episode III', so you never know what's might come ;). Meanwhile, I have some stuff for part II that I think you guys are going to like :).

Thanks for the continued feedback all; I want to make the mission as good as possible, and you input is really invaluable!

Edited by UbiquitousUK

I am sure you know this already - But you can force AI units to always remain standing;

unitname setunitpos "up"

As said in past, looking forward to new missions and any improvements you might decide to make for current ones - Oh, and I do hope there'll be a sequel for Sweep&Strike aswell.

Now I have completed version 1.2:

Thanks for the new crate. I took the sniper rifle and with this weapon it was easier to beat the first part of the mission.

The new insertion spot works perfectly, though I did not have any problems with the previous spot.

Thanks for your explanation about the control tower. Perhaps the air traffic controllers in the tower could be civilians, then we wouldn't have to kill them. But a few armed guards would probably be realistic. I think that searching for survivors is a typical part of such a police operation and even in the current version one person is not too easy to find - so this shouldn't be a problem in my opinion.

It is interesting that you said it was impossible for the player to prevent the helicopter from taking off.

In version 1.1 I used a Russian rifle with a grenade launcher. One or two grenades disabled the helicopter. The pilot disembarked and the rotors stopped. This was a little bit of cheating because I used a non standard rifle.

When I played version 1.2 I managed to kill the enemies on the airfield quickly with the help of my carefully positioned team and jumped in the back of the pickup truck. I was able to shoot the helicopter from the sky because it performed one or two large circles over the airport as if it waited to be shot down. I really thought I was expected to destroy it.

I have to apologize for reporting the satchel bug. When I played the mission I thought I had two satchels and after placing and deactivating the satchel I had only one left. But when i played it again I noticed that I was only issued one satchel. In other words: It was my fault and not a bug!

I have a few ideas for you to consider:

The idea of this mission is to fight against drug traffickers. Wouldn't you like to place some drums or boxes as "drug containers" in one of the hangars? We could set the containers on fire in order to destroy the drugs? The physical presence of drugs in this mission would add to the credibility, I think.

How about some civilian modules to populate the villages. A few selected farmers might even act as informers if asked nicely.

Some of the enemies might be willing to surrender. They would have to be kept alive until the end of the mission as if they should be interrogated later. This is a police-like mission, after all, and we wouldn't really kill everybody on the spot, would we?

As I said before, I'm definitely up for putting an insurgent or two on the tower. The setunitpos command works like a charm for this.

I can also populate some areas with civilians, although I'd rather do it manually in this instance: I'm suspicious of the ambient civilian modules, which have a habit of putting a pick-up truck where you least expect it.

Putting in some kind of 'drug stash' such as barrels or boxes isn't a problem. I want to hold off any task to destroy it though, as something of this nature is likely to be a big focus of the next mission.

Thanks again for the input guys.

I added a small update today; see the first post for details. Since there haven't really been any reports of substantive problems the changes are small. In particular, I put in some guards on the airfield control tower, and generally made some adjustments to make the world seem more alive and immersive. Enjoy!