Sign in to follow this  
Inkompetent

INKO Disposable

INKO Disposable

at4-johnson2004-02-03_small.jpg

UPDATED TO 1.3!

Information:

This addon for ArmA2CO makes the M136, NLAW and RPG-18 man-portable anti-tank launchers disposable as they are in real life. After one shot the tube is spent and cannot be reused in any way.

Ammunition size has been removed for players. Or rather, the magazines are removed from the player unless the launcher is weaponed. This means you have to reload the launcher every time you weapon it, and it is there to simulate having to remove the safety and flipping up the sights.

Carry a disposable launcher and you know you'll have ammo, as will your AI buddies as long as they have a useable launcher.

The spent tube can be thrown away after firing simply by switching weapon (default key: F). AI throws it away automatically shortly after firing.

The addon has full Extended Eventhandler support.

Purpose:

Aside from being a simple addon for a slightly more realistic game it is in great part designed for other addon-makers.

The code has been kept as simple and as modular as I have the wits to make it for the simple functionality it has now. It is fully possible to make this work with disposable launchers in other addons by adding a few variables to those launchers's config and should require no tinkering with INKO Disposable at all.

Version history:

• v1.3 (20010-09-05, CO ONLY!):

- Added: NLAW launcher has been made disposable

- Added: M2A2 has got disposable launchers added to its cargo.

- Changed: All OA and BAF vehicles and ammo boxes has had their disposable launcher ammunition changed to actual launchers.

- Changed: Addon cfgPatches class name changed to inko_disposable_oa

v1.2 (2009-12-06):

- Changed: Empty tubes are now locally created objects on all machines and are not retroactively created on JIP clients. This is all to reduce net traffic and improve overall performance.

v1.11 (2009-09-10):

- Added: LAV-25, AAV-7, BMP-3 and BTR-90 have got disposable launchers added to their cargo. Numbers depend on vehicle size.

- Fixed: Ammo boxes and vehicles have got their cargo changed to provide enough launchers

- Fixed: Correct displayNames for magazines

- Fixed: Magazines (rockets) on ground are now invisible.

v1.1 (2009-09-09)

- Added: Automatic ammunition management for players and AI. As long as you carry a M136 or RPG-18 you don't need to worry about ammo anymore.

- Added: Ammo won't take any inventory space for players. AI carries ammo as normal though, not to mess up their ability to fire.

- Added: Forced reload when weaponing launcher to simulate preparing the weapon.

- Added: Automatic throwaway of launcher when switching weapon

- Fixed: Player is no longer forced to kneel and drop weapon shortly after firing

- Broken: Discarded tubes might spin like a merry-go-round and bounce like a rubber ball.

v1.01 (2009-08-23)

- Fixed CfgAddon entries

- Added module for reduced inventory size for M136 and RPG18 rockets (
inko_disposable_ammosize.pbo
)

v1.0 (2009-08-23):

- First release

Special thanks to zGuba for his assistance and cooperation!

!!! IMPORTANT !!!

THIS ADDON REQUIRES COMBINED OPERATIONS PATCHED TO AT LEAST VERSION 1.54.

This addon requires the Extended EventHandlers found in CBA!

Download CBA here

DOWNLOAD MIRRORS:

FileFront

Armaholic.com

Armed Assault.info

1.2-link for ArmA2 standalone:

FileFront

Edited by Inkompetent
Version 1.3 released!

Nice, did you also decrease the size of the ammunition or would that mess things up? No need to drop half your ammo because of a launcher that does less damage than the SMAW but only has one shot anymore.

Afraid I haven't touched the ammunition - yet.

I'm not really sure how to do it either. If I should just resize the ammo to 2 or 3 slots, or make the game completely remove the ammunition until the launcher is weaponed.

I do agree though that there must be some benefit to carrying a disposable instead of a reloadable launcher.

Suppose one can say I've just released the core yet, and we'll see what additional stuff pops up to flesh it out. Pretty interested in people's opinions and suggestions first (even though I know we've been through it once before in the thread for the old addon) :)

Just tested it, works great. Thanks Inkompetent!

For any future releases (if you plan any), I'd really like to see what Scruffy mentioned. Maybe make the rocket take up 3 magazine slots?

Edit: ah, didn't see the message above when I was writing this.

Just noticed a naughty little error in CfgAddons. Nothing that interferes with the addon, but I guess it can mess with dependencies for modules. A fix will come soon, with a module for 3-slot ammo size for the rockets.

The ammo-size changes will come in its own PBO file so people/admins can decide if to use it or not.

Edited by Inkompetent

Godlike ! Thank you for this addon, waited for something like this since release :bounce3:

Make ammo smaller and it's perfect =)

Thanks! Adds to the realism of this game even more.

1.01 uploaded!

See main post for info.

Be careful if downloading from ArmAholic and make sure it is 1.01 since it can take a moment for them to get up to date.

Module included for reducing the rocket size to 3 magazine slots.

I do not want to move the rockets to the pistol magazine slots since it'll mess up the ammo carrying for people with a backup weapon or grenade launcher grenades. 8 grenades is very, very limited as it is.

1.01 uploaded!

See main post for info.

Be careful if downloading from ArmAholic and make sure it is 1.01 since it can take a moment for them to get up to date.

Module included for reducing the rocket size to 3 magazine slots.

I do not want to move the rockets to the pistol magazine slots since it'll mess up the ammo carrying for people with a backup weapon or grenade launcher grenades. 8 grenades is very, very limited as it is.

Sweet! Fast updates, just what I like :)

And I completely agree about the GL grenades.

... maybe it would be possible to somehow increase the number of slots for GL grenades? :whistle:

Just got to know that 1.01 has been uploaded to Armaholic, so it's good to use now for those leaning that way ;)

Addon is great. Loved it in ARMA I. :)

Is it possible to make it where it doesn't automatically make you put it on your back once it goes into it's "used" state? It sort of leaves you vulnerable. If not, it's still great.

Thanks a lot for the module too.

Is it possible to make it where it doesn't automatically make you put it on your back once it goes into it's "used" state? It sort of leaves you vulnerable. If not, it's still great.

I'll see what I can do about it. The addon uses a waitUntil function to replace the launcher the instant the fired rocket doesn't exist anymore, and as the replacement is done, what you describe happens automatically.

Might be that the waitUntil isn't needed anymore in ArmA2. I'll have to test that as well. I just know that in ArmA1 the game crashed if the launcher was deleted while the projectile it had fired still was in the air.

Just noticed that "waitUntil" that you're talking about. Works perfectly if you're engaging medium to long range but on a short shot, you're stuck out in the open because it impacts so fast.

Okay, I see BIS has been busy! Apparantly the waitUntil isn't needed anymore in ArmA2. Not even AI firing without it causes a crash (was almost a 100% certainty in ArmA1).

One step closer to smoothness :)

Great addon.

I suggest making it take up 1 single ammo slot in the primary ammo slot. In reality the AT-4 isnt taking up any space that you need, your pouches are still there, its just either slinged on your back or carried in/on a vehicle.

Known issues:

• AI doesn't drop the tube automatically. I haven't got the AI to drop it smoothly yet, so decided to disable that ability completely for the time being.[/b][/color]

No idea whether this helps you but I use this in VFAI 3.0 for Arma 2:

_buddy action ["DROPWEAPON",_buddy,secondaryWeapon _buddy];
_buddy doFollow (leader group _buddy);

If the "drop empty weapons" option is selected these folks drop their weapons just fine. Just saw it yesterday with a launcher. Downside of line 2 is that you might see undesirable movement; but in the beginning I had issues with units stuck after this action. Might not even be needed in Arma 2 anymore; I wouldn't know right now.

Cheers,

VictorFarbau

Thanks. I'll try that one.

The problem I've had is that after the removeWeapon -> addWeapon -> dropweapon they get locked in an animation as if they hold the launcher, even after they've dropped it.

The other solution I tried had them staying crouched in the dropweapon stance in an eternal animation-loop, despite there being no loop what so ever in the code :P

Out of general curiosity, are people happy with that the launcher is just turned unusable at the moment and that one keeps it after firing, having to dispose of it manually? (although I know that it is annoying with that the weapon is automatically put away, making one stuck for a moment soon after firing. I'm working on redeeming that)

Or is an action menu item or other means for throwing it away wished for? If so, please explain more in detail how you'd like it.

Personally I'm fine with the way it is. I fire it, put it away and drop it at a later time out of my gear menu. Simple enough. :)

Did you try Victor Farbaus method Inkompetent ?

I will try to see if the AI autodrop using his scripts later.

I'm struggling with it at the moment. I've had some success with it, but it's not 100% proof yet.

Also trying to fix the delay between shooting and stowing away the weapon, so that the player get some time to move out of the way. Most of this part is done.

Then I think I'll add a loop to clean the battlefield of scrapped tubes, just to not have them lie around in excess.

Actually having them littering the battlefield is great. Of course hundreds may look a little odd but they do add realism, so don't don't get rid of too many!

EDIT: Can confirm that with VFAI scripts running the AI fire one shot then drop the empty tubes .... looks lovely.

Edited by Kremator