Sign in to follow this  
Nice_Boat

Nice_Boat Tank Damage System

I've waited long for this. I hope it's almost the same as the system introduced in the LIB mod for OFP.

The crew in armored vehicles shouldn't be injured by any impact that doesnt't penetrate. These things can withstand a nuke, ok not the direct impact though. ;)

Edited by Enforcer1975

The crew in armored vehicles shouldn't be injured by any impact that doesnt't penetrate. These things can withstand a nuke, ok not the direct impact though. ;)

Eh, spall was a concern previously and sheer shock and concussion is still an issue. At it's heart, you're stuck inside a big metal box, getting tossed around like a ragdoll.

Also, I tested in editor and it appears that RPG-7-armed enemies will not engage an Abrams.

Edited by Apocal

Sorry if i'm being slow, but could you give a step-by-step guide to making this mod work on a dedi server (i dont even know where cfg.patches is!)

cheers

i included a download so you dont have to do the config edits.

ah i see - thanks!

Just tested this in the editor - M1a1 withstands 5 direct hits from T90 before exploding, but M1A1 kills T90 with just 1 shot.... can this be right?

ah i see - thanks!

Just tested this in the editor - M1a1 withstands 5 direct hits from T90 before exploding, but M1A1 kills T90 with just 1 shot.... can this be right?

not in a million years

If you un-pbo the mod and open the config.cpp with a text editor, you can modify the damages done by each anti tank weapon and also modify the amount of armor for each tank. (You will need to recreate the pbo file before using it within ArmA 2)

Metis is bugged with this Addon and the russian launchers are underpowered or the US ones overpowered =P

Without Addon I can destroy a M1A1 with two/three PG17 VR or two SMAW.

Now it's three SMAW and I shot 5 VR on it but nothing happened.

Edited by Cionara

the RPG7vr wont penetrate the m1's armour so it doesnt matter how many you fire - thats the point of this mod

shame you cant damage just the tracks with RPG7VR though (mobility kill), that would be a nice improvement...

But Metis is buged..... you cant see the rocket coming out of launcher and theres an explosion high over the targeted vehicle in the air without hitting it.

Well it is posted as an Alpha though it is not clear if the OP is still working on it.

I think what's required is a small committee of (say 3) military 'experts' (we can't be short of these) to create a few matrices comparing all weapon classes and specific AT weapons to all vehicles in the game. In each case we'd need a probability of penetration and also a weapon damage modifier (applied once penetration is achieved).

I also think it needs to be done in script (without relying on config changes) so it can be included in and downloaded with missions. That's the only way to make it truly widespread (like Norrin's Revive is) and this script can then easily be turned into a standalone addon also.

Tanks really do take loads of shots don't they, and also does it dispense with the green diagnostic display in the upper left? I don't see any components taking damage

Edited by Nosedive

you will still see damage on the diagnostic, just not from munitions which fail to penetrate. Try shooting an M1 with a sabot round, jump in it and you will see damage.

Anyway to make this compatible with the Russian Armour pack? It seems to wipout the random number,smoke launching and ATGM defence system.Probably because its tied to the games original T-72.Kinda a drag having the numbers missing and the T-80's /90's behaving like T-72's in battle.Any thoughts?

Edited by 343rdBadger

Wow! This sounds awesome! Just what I've been waiting for! Can't wait to get home and try this out :D

New version uploaded for bugfixing and balancing purposes. It's quite different from the last one, so those of you who liked the previous one might want to try it out :)

Edited by Nice_Boat

- runs independent of config values, everything is script based now

Excellent move IMHO. There's far too much emphasis on addons in ArmA modding. Even if you can only realise 75% of a solution this way it's going to reach far more players if mission makers can include it and ensure everybody is still on the same playing field.

There are no instructions how to get this to run. Only two scripts file and nothing in the readme.

To define the weapon and vehicle specific value in config and use getConfig(...) will

make the script way less complex and faster.

There are no instructions how to get this to run. Only two scripts file and nothing in the readme.

Incorrect. The second line of the readme gives usage instructions.

Im with kju...how do you install this?

What mission folder (When you make a mission?) How do you run NBRandomizer.sqs? What is the init field? etc.

Im new to this type of moding in arma. Those instructions are not noob friendly at all. I do want to learn so i can try this mod.

thanks

Create a mission with your tanks.

Save and name said mission

Place the 2 scripts into your mission folder.

reopen mission in the editor

On any unit place in the init field

[] exec "NBRandomizer.sqs"

On every tank that you want this enabled place in it's init field

this addEventHandler ["handledamage", {_this exec "NBTank.sqs"}] 

Resave misson

@Nice_boat: Great addon but it seems that the crew still takes some damage even when the tank is not

Missing Direct vs glance. The afore mention challenger kill was a direct shot where the kinetic energy is is being applied from an angle perpendicular to the armor. The same round fired from an angle of more than 45% off from perpendicular will have a marked decrease in penetration for two reasons. A the energy is not applied directly and B there is more armor to go through since it is at an angle. Shooting at say the right front corner of a tank from the right and front of the tank is a sure fire way to NOT kill that tank you must be in front, behind, or beside a tank to get a direct fire kill. The top is the most vulnerable area hence the javelin's design. It's a one hit kill because it is a top hit weapon with a LOT of punch.

Technically the most common kill of a tank is it's crew going down. A high penetration round puts a quarter sized hole in the tank but the round itself pings around the inside killing the crew. The other thing is that a high energy round can superheat the interior and suck the oxygen out of that lil hole hence the emerging burning crew we see so often. Usually though the tanks mobility and or engine is hit by an armor penetrating roung. For example the "Barry" 50 caliber rifle with specialized AP rounds is able to stop 2nd gen tanks by penetrating the engine block. the 3rd generation of tanks M1A1 and so on were a bit tougher to crack.

Mind you this is from my father the high school physics teacher. I have not verified all of what he has said.

Just wanted to chime in and say this is an excellent project.

BIS please take note: you're really shooting yourselves in the foot by not making this sort of system the default.

As a side question I don't suppose there's an easy way to play Harvest Red with this active seeing as it's scripted directly to the vehicles in the mission? Just curious incase I'm being a dunce and overlooking the obvious solution.

I'd love to see something like this implemented in Arrowhead. Brilliant mod :)

Excuse me for being dense about moding...this will not work in a general install/place and run the game will it? It will only run a missions made through the editor?