Sign in to follow this  
twiggy158

5.1 Surround Sound Not Working.

Sorry if this has already been covered in another thread I used search and nothing came up, but my 5.1 surround sound isn't working correctly. It seems like only the front 3 speakers are working (Front Left, Center, Front Right.) I placed an idle flying helicopter in front of me and spun my character around and it seems like once the sound is supposed to go to the rear channels it jumps back to the center, so if something is behind me it sounds like it's in front of me. Is anyone else getting this issue or is there a way to fix it? Thanks for the help in advance.

I have the same problem, it seems the method of sound that ARMA2 uses doesnt work with some cards setup.... I cannot find a fix and will probably need to update my sound card which sux because in all other games the sound does work in 5.1...

Yapa

It's usually caused by an issue with the xaudio codec set. Installing the latest direct X 9 build (even if you're using directx 10/vista) usually fixes the problem

---------- Post added at 03:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:02 AM ----------

Have a look here as it's in relation to it http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=77880

I know this is a little off topic but even when I play a game such as TF2 it seems that my rear two channels act as the front 2 channels just a bit quieter. So even though sound is playing through all 5 speakers, it fells more like 3.1. I have Realtek HD audio from my GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3R motherboard and I even just updated the drivers. It doesn't let me set my 5 speakers and windows seems to find it as a 2 channel system which I can't change either. But I downloaded a 5.1 surround sound test clip and that worked, heard everything correctly, I don't know what's wrong it just seems to happen during games.

EDIT: Also when I right click the speaker in the system tray and go to "Playback Devices" and select the system I'm using, it won't let me configure the speakers to tell it that it's a 5.1 system.

Edited by TwiGGy158

how many connectors do you have in the back plane? Make sure your amp/sub is on before you boot, chk the realtek CP and make sure its set to 5.1. Install OpenAL, reinstall march DX.

how many connectors do you have in the back plane? Make sure your amp/sub is on before you boot, chk the realtek CP and make sure its set to 5.1. Install OpenAL, reinstall march DX.

I have 6 speaker connectors on the back of the receiver if that's what you mean. My amp is turned on before I boot. That's the thing with the Realtek CP it won't even let me set it to 5.1, I don't see an option for it anywhere. Installed both OpenAL and March DX.

EDIT:

Here's a picture of my Realtek CP to show the options that I have available to me.

samplew.th.jpg

Edited by TwiGGy158

Sounds like you are using a digital coaxial or optical connection between your computer's sound device and your receiver, eh? That will only allow stereo output at most for uncompressed sound. To get surround sound though such a connection you'd need a sound device which supports DDL or DTS Connect, or if your receiver supports multichannel analog input you can get uncompressed surround sound though those.

Sounds like you are using a digital coaxial or optical connection between your computer's sound device and your receiver, eh? That will only allow stereo output at most for uncompressed sound. To get surround sound though such a connection you'd need a sound device which supports DDL or DTS Connect, or if your receiver supports multichannel analog input you can get uncompressed surround sound though those.

Well here's the Amazon.com page for my receiver:

http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-SX-316S-Theater-Receiver-channel/dp/B000PYTAB6

Well this is the SX-316S, I have just the SX-316

Supports DTS 96/24, DTS decoder, Dolby Digital, Dolby Pro Logic II decoders

It says it supports DTS 96/24, though I have no clue what that means.

Also, my MoBo has DTS support. What kind of cable do I need to unlock this DTS?

Edited by TwiGGy158

hmmm, not the receiver, but your MBs realtek 1/8th jack connectors, you dont have them going to your receiver? you have the digital instead connected?

i think thats the issue, not sure how to fix that. Your receiver needs to out put that...or realtek cant send 5.1 out digi.

No I don't have any 1/8th connectors. But I did some research and some sites said that DTS could be obtained through optical cords. I did a 5.1 surround sound test and it picked out each one of my speakers perfectly, yet a game cannot do this. I looked up that DTS connect and I apparently need a sound card by Creative to get that to work.

Onboard audio is good for the basic stuff but if you want something to work well (like spdif, full mic support, etc) you're better off buying a better card. The audigy are fairly cheap but I'd suggest buying an x-fi as they're a good blend of price/performance

In regard to your receiver, the page you linked hardly gives any information, and I'm not finding anywhere else to confirm if it supports multichannel analog input or not, but I'm guessing it doesn't.

As for DTS Connect, Creative isn't the only one who makes cards that support it, Auzentech and Asus make other notable options.

Since I went SLI I lost my slot for my XFI and went back to Realtek onboard HD. It works great for me. I can't tell a difference in my 5.1 experience compared to XFI at all.

So, I have a Logitech 5.1 system, Creative X-FI Audio sound card, and am still having problems with snap-crackle-pop issues when heavy gun fire or multiple vehicles being close to me. It's almost game breaking... but I love the game too much to keep my from playing small skirmishes.

Anyway, I've tried disable CMSS-3D, 24-bit crystalizer, and setting EAX effects off and below -28.0dB. As far as I can tell my sound card drivers are up to date.. my video card drivers were updated two days ago. For the record I've also tried switching between "game mode" and "entertainment modes".

IDK what's wrong, but a patch needs to be released if that is what the only solution could be.

thx.

So, I have a Logitech 5.1 system, Creative X-FI Audio sound card, and am still having problems with snap-crackle-pop issues when heavy gun fire or multiple vehicles being close to me. It's almost game breaking... but I love the game too much to keep my from playing small skirmishes.

Anyway, I've tried disable CMSS-3D, 24-bit crystalizer, and setting EAX effects off and below -28.0dB. As far as I can tell my sound card drivers are up to date.. my video card drivers were updated two days ago. For the record I've also tried switching between "game mode" and "entertainment modes".

IDK what's wrong, but a patch needs to be released if that is what the only solution could be.

thx.

Lower your ingame volume at least below 50% and raise your speaker volume.

Lower your ingame volume at least below 50% and raise your speaker volume.

Thanks, ok i'll try what you suggested. is it more of a temporary fix? Or does a patch need to be released?

Its a temp fix, it's one of the things bis mentioned they're working on