Sign in to follow this  
Taconic

Very simple OA suggestion

Don't include "warfare" mode in the campaign.

Now, I realize that warfare is a major MP mode (even though I don't play it,) and I think that it's good that BIS has incorporated it into the game for that reason. When I got to the first "warfare" mission in A2, it seemed to work pretty well and make sense--seasoned combat units being given command over less experienced units...

...but then I took the village and had to "build" a base and "buy" units. The campaign was brilliant up to that point. I don't think that something Command and Conquer-esque has much place in the main campaign of a mil sim. For me, it was a real immersion killer and a blemish on an otherwise great campaign.

Other than that, I really have no complaints about Arma 2. It's a very worthy successor to OFP.

I also hope that Chernarus isn't abandoned, as the Eastern European settings are one of the high points of OFP and A2. Hopefully another expansion will return to it. :p

Agree, but I also don't expect them to (at laest not like in ArmA 2 - which btw I have not even started playing :j:). I mean so far everything points to a more CWC like campaign, which is good news IMO.

Agree, but I also don't expect them to (at laest not like in ArmA 2 - which btw I have not even started playing :j:). I mean so far everything points to a more CWC like campaign, which is good news IMO.
Well, I hope not. :p

I just can't imagine the reasoning for it in the RH campaign. Other than that, it was great. I actually probably would have liked it even more than CWC and Resistance if not for the "warfare" missions.

Yeah, PLEASE, no Warfare'd campaign.

You can just do separate Multiplayer missions with that.

no Command and conquer(the game) like missions and pls dont add tiberium or diamonds or ore thats lying on the surface.

I dont wona run with a basket and collect them all the day.

Please do include Warfare elements in some of OAs missions. But more of a "it's all happening around you" kind of thing. I don't want to "take" place after place, I really want to do something unique. But having Warfare going on all around me? No problems with that. Do an assignment before or after a Warfare point has been taken? That would be up to me, each posing its own kinds of challenges.

I loved Dogs of War once you actually quit playing Warfare and doing the sidetracks. More of this please.

Please do include Warfare elements in some of OAs missions.
That does not require that any element of warfare be included in the mission. Many OFP missions accomplished that long before warfare existed (and, IMO, are far superior to anything that has ever been done with warfare.)

Large scale missions? Sure, I support that.

Missions in which you control more than one squad (CoC CE style)? Absolutely.

Missions in which you have to take towns, "buy" soldiers, and manage money convoys? No thanks. It sort of kills the whole realism/immersion aspects of the campaign.

Having to say, "gee, I'd really like to get another BRDM, but I'm going to have to wait another 90 seconds for a supply convoy arbitrarily gathering money in a war zone to arrive from Novy Sabor" doesn't really do much for the suspension of disbelief.

Warfare in singleplayer is a no-goer, don't even think about it.

Warfare is very fun but its for multiplayer and multiplayer only. =)

Now, I realize that warfare is a major MP mode (even though I don't play it,) and I think that it's good that BIS has incorporated it into the game for that reason. When I got to the first "warfare" mission in A2, it seemed to work pretty well and make sense--seasoned combat units being given command over less experienced units...

...but then I took the village and had to "build" a base and "buy" units. The campaign was brilliant up to that point. I don't think that something Command and Conquer-esque has much place in the main campaign of a mil sim. For me, it was a real immersion killer and a blemish on an otherwise great campaign.

Other than that, I really have no complaints about Arma 2. It's a very worthy successor to OFP.

I also hope that Chernarus isn't abandoned, as the Eastern European settings are one of the high points of OFP and A2. Hopefully another expansion will return to it. :p

totally agree. killed the realistic feel.

suspension of disbelief.

i love that phrase! havent heard too many people use it

Stuff like the single player scenario War Welcome or what it's called would work, imo. I.e. you have troops at your command, but there's no stupid base-building or unit purchasing.

I agree. I thought that the warfare mode in the campaign was fun, but it definately took away from the realistic feel. However, if I was operating out of a pre-built base with a limited amount of vehicles, ammo, and reinforcements it would've felt more real to me. Well, that's my two cents anyway. :)

I agree. I thought that the warfare mode in the campaign was fun, but it definately took away from the realistic feel. However, if I was operating out of a pre-built base with a limited amount of vehicles, ammo, and reinforcements it would've felt more real to me. Well, that's my two cents anyway. :)
Yeah, I'm not at all opposed to that. The CoC CE missions were some of the best in OFP.

I just think the whole Command and Conquer base building/money gathering/unit building aspect detracts from the campaign as a whole. And it seems that's the general consensus. :p

Fully agreed. I would want to see more scripted story-driven missions (with some freedom of course) and missions like manhattan (properly tested and without gamebreaking bugs). It's pretty sad that BIS couldn't make a decent campaign since resistance. I hope they are already aware of what they did right and bad in the past.

Fully agreed. I would want to see more scripted story-driven missions (with some freedom of course) and missions like manhattan (properly tested and without gamebreaking bugs). It's pretty sad that BIS couldn't make a decent campaign since resistance. I hope they are already aware of what they did right and bad in the past.
I actually think HR is a good campaign... even with the warfare elements. The open-ended missions were great and the story was more than adequate (certainly better than Arma's, which I found really difficult to care about.)

It just would have been much better without the warfare aspects and, as you said, some more open-ended missions instead.

I just hope that we see some FDF or BAS caliber campaigns for A2 from the community, but I'm not holding my breath since those didn't seem to materialize for Arma.