Sign in to follow this  
W0lle

Operation Arrowhead: The questions and answers thread

Simply a bunch of otherwise unemployed guys at BI

I believe unemployed applies they no longer work for the company, which is certainly not the case here. Despite the wrong choice of words, I agree with what you're saying. Though I was quite young at the time of OFP's release, it was indeed unplayable online. SP wasn't terribly better either. It's great now, but look at it's version number (1.96) and how close that is to 2.00. :eek:

Speaking of Warfare mode, does it seem like they're going to improve it in some way for Operation Arrowhead?

I'm getting a bit tired of all the bitching about whether or not BIS should release an addon to ArmAII and the way they choose to implement it. The point is its down to them to decide and its down to us to buy or not to buy. We still have free choice after all. Personally I am looking forward to obtaining Operation Arrowhead on the day of release. Now Here are my questions.

I am also wondering what nationality the non_US force will be. Can anyone identify what vehicle was in the UN colours? That might give us a bit of a clue as to what countries are represented.

One other small point I want to ask about is this. Considering that this new Theatre of operations is placed in the middle east (Where there is a predominantly Muslim population), how likely is it that there would be butchered pigs hanging on the butchers stall as in the screenshot? I was under the impression Muslims dont eat pork?

Speaking of Warfare mode, does it seem like they're going to improve it in some way for Operation Arrowhead?

First step to improving it is not including it in the SP modes what so ever. But I think they already got the hint.

@Killerwatt: it was a BMP in UN colors.

And you bring up something interesting for me. I live in the Middle-East myself, though I am not a native of it, but I could see this causing AO to not be sold here. COD4 was banned because of the nuke scene where it appeared in the game that a nuke was blown up inside Saudi Arabia. This part of the world doesn't really want to take any risks I guess. I hope they don't do the same to AO... :(

Edited by Zipper5

Come on guys: most of you love the basic OFP/Arma/Arma2 engine.

It would be scary if BIS did NOT announce something new. That would mean an end to the series.

An end to the thing we all loved most of the time, hated sometimes but stuck with all the time.

It's a good thing they plan to release a patched up version with new content!

A new version means the engine is alive and not abandonware.

I've had great and unreplacable moments in each of BIS's games, so yeah bring on the next version!:yay:

Guys, can we please discuss the questions and answers here only. There's still the other OA thread you can use for repeating the same discussions all over again. :)

@Killerwatt: it was a BMP in UN colors.

And you bring up something interesting for me. I live in the Middle-East myself, though I am not a native of it, but I could see this causing AO to not be sold here. COD4 was banned because of the nuke scene where it appeared in the game that a nuke was blown up inside Saudi Arabia. This part of the world doesn't really want to take any risks I guess. I hope they don't do the same to AO... :(

That was my initial concern. I would hate to see OA getting all the wrong sort of publicity over a simple error that can be easilly rectified at this early stage of production. A few lambs and calfs hanging there instead would fit just nicely.

I guess the presence of the BMP would lend strength to the possibility of the Czech Republic being reperesented when you take into account the presence of that and the Czech helo. I'll still cross my fingers for some UK forces though.:D

Thanks for the info W0lle, much appreciated. I can't wait. Hearing of the features, with an 'and more' tagged onto it is fantastic. The campaign type, the announced feature set, and the new units really are making me feel like it's more Resistance-y. Good stuff. Watching for more infos.

I am also wondering what nationality the non_US force will be.

http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/8126/arma2arrowheadvehiclesc.jpg

From that picture it seems quite likely that they will be Czech.

The UN BMP-2 could belong to any number of countries really, including the Czech Republic and Russian Federation. That said, OA could just have generic UN troops or a multinational UN peacekeeping force.

Hope I'm not too late.

Hmm, will any of the new features in ArmA2 be fixed?

* Command system (can't really use teams anymore :().

* Fire button acting as a context sensitive button (select actions instead of fire).

* Will the FOV be consistant (it was fixed in ArmA1 in one of the patches, making it so that when iron-sighted there was no zoom, you used the designated zoom key for that - this little problem breaks up the immersion for me a little).

These three are really getting on my nerves lately, In these areas I actually prefered ArmA1.

Edited by LJF

I'm willing to be there's gonna be the Czech army in it.

Czech army bleh... KSK ftw!!! :p

Czech army bleh... KSK ftw!!! :p

There we go... W0lle, having been to gamescon and interviewed Jennik has just confirmed that the allied force will be zee Germans ;) :D

I'm kidding

I'm willing to be there's gonna be the Czech army in it.

what kind of sense would that make, seriously? a few units such as special ops or peacekeepers - maybe. the whole army? no wai.

besides, BIS should just stick with the US Armed Forces. what else could this community possibly agree on? the british want their army, the french theirs, the germans the bundeswehr, etc. it's all completely unrealistic. when was the last time any of these forces engaged in a major war on their own?

and i'm saying that as a european.

the british want their army, the french theirs, the germans the bundeswehr, etc. it's all completely unrealistic.

Czechs want the ACR -> BIS is Czech -> BIS make ACR units. Simple!

Personally I welcome the idea of playing a military that I'm not that familiar with.

the whole army? no wai..

I'm not saying there's gonna be a whole battalion there, I just used the direct translation from Czech (turns out the correct English name is Czech Armed Forces).

So basically what I'm saying is there's gonna be Czech Armed Forces featured to some extent in the game.

@ FRED DM But they wouldnt be on their own, they would be part of a U.S. led coalition as it says in the original anouncement.

Edited by Killerwatt

But they wouldnt be on their own, they would be part of a U.S. led coalition as it says in the original anouncement.

Exactly. And nobody says there couldn't be more countries involved as well, Czech Republic is just the only one supported by the evidence (Czech heli, Czech voices, Czech developers) so far :)

Well looking at the pictures and what we already know the US Army is the main "western force". There might be some more "factions" on the west side like the CDF in ArmA2. However I won't confirm anything I'm not 100% sure about so for the moment, let's just say there's the US and a czech Mi-17 and an UN BMP-2. What will be included in the end we'll see once OA is closer to the releasedate. ;)

@Germans

Please don't take my previous post as guarantee that we'll see BW or KSK units in AO. Otherwise I can't be held responsible for your disappointment. :)

@Germans

Please don't take my previous post as guarantee that we'll see BW or KSK units in AO. Otherwise I can't be held responsible for your disappointment. :)

In ArmA2 there are Napa fighters wearing flecktarn field jackets and balaclava, in my play-around-with-the-editor missions they made up some nice-looking improvised KSK units.

Just change the pants for Flecktarn, too, some pouches,rucksack and stuff and you are done :yay: .

Edited by Icewindo

Well looking at the pictures and what we already know the US Army is the main "western force". There might be some more "factions" on the west side like the CDF in ArmA2. However I won't confirm anything I'm not 100% sure about so for the moment, let's just say there's the US and a czech Mi-17 and an UN BMP-2. What will be included in the end we'll see once OA is closer to the releasedate. ;)

@Germans

Very true, but the speculation was fun:D

WOlle, can you raise the question of the pig carcasses with the devs? Call me anal but it does seem a bit of an immersion killer.

Since i live near köln, where the gamescom is atm, i think about going there on sunday,do we know if theres BI present with some OperationArrow Stuff?!

Since i live near köln, where the gamescom is atm, i think about going there on sunday,do we know if theres BI present with some OperationArrow Stuff?!

It's too late now to see any BI representative at all or OA. BIS/Idea was only present in the business center and today (or better yesterday) was their last day afaik. Atleast Jennik was only there from Wednesday to Friday. Oh and business center is closed sunday anyway.

@Killerwatt

I try to remember it but yes it's damn close to nitpicking. :p

Also keep in mind that what's shown now must not be present in the final game.

Interesting that you point that out, my Armed Assault is still in public beta and they explicitly said that there would be more patches for it... so yes, knowing BI, a consider that.

Here you have the beta patch 1.16 for Armed Assault, from the public beta program: http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=5428

Actually, that's a point I didn't address indeed.

So what we know is that by the time the expansion is released, the constant patching of A2 will probably terminate.

Now, give me please the release date of said expansion? That gives quite some time for patching, doesn't it? Realistically, mid 2010, I'd say. Nearly 1 year.

And I discount here the patching done on A1 after QG was out, because of the standalone nature of the upcoming expansion.

BTW A2 public beta program, as presented, is quite more "live" than A1 beta, which were coming not that often. A2 beta system seems updated more often (to be confirmed, ofc). It looks to me far from an abandonned project.

Anyway, the point is that they won't stop patching A2, but have to give work to all of their employees. They did something rather logical, don't you think?