Sign in to follow this  
W0lle

Operation Arrowhead: The questions and answers thread

Allah is great & all that is yelled yes when insurgents detonate explosives. This we have seen many times from real footage. Like shouting a word would improve anything lol, but hey to each and own.

Some ultra insurgent faction could do it when RPG'ing and detonating. Why not. :)

No worries. I didn't take it as an insult. I merely think that the ability to shout Allah Akhbar (or recite the lords prayer for that matter) is rather mission specific. It's not something that should be automated by the game engine. Imagine that you are playing an Opfor saboteur in a stealth mission versus another human player, do you still want to shout Allah Akhbar when you detonate your carefully placed satchel from a hidden location? ;) Adding custom made sounds to specific missions is fairly painless for any missiond designer as it is.

That's what I basically meant, having the insurgents in the campaign (thus mission specific) shout it where appropriate. :)

Edit: Alex - would be cool for immersion etc. By the time you'd hear it, it could make you feel like oh shi-*boom* ;)

Edited by Cole

@Walker

Don't worry, it surely wasn't the last chance to get some answers before release.

Whisper ;)

Portraying the OPFOR/Insurgents as bomb crazy automatons with satchel charges hidden udner their Burqa's hardly accomplishes that.

x2 Very well said :)

When I first heard OA was being developed I was worried about the community being split, now I've seen the amount of things they're adding (70km city in ArmA = what I've been waiting for) this has become a must buy for me. Very VERY good work BIS and once again you've made me as giddy as a schoolgirl with your announcements :p . My question is how well do the flashlights currently work? Do they produce dynamic shadows or is it just like a small version of ArmA's car headlights? I know that currently things like streetlamps don't produce shadows (or do they?) and I was wondering if that had been fixed.

So you have nothing good to say?

Why did you post.

I didnt realise i had to say something good to be allowed to post. :rolleyes:

As Yapab said it was just some observations of the questions, but just to remain fair and balanced the only reason took up something with those 2 was because all the rest sounded great, and now I’ve said it.

Great job with the Q&A Wolle :) ... Is it confirmed somewhere that the "countryside" portion of the map will be only 160sqkm? If that's the case, it means planes are for nothing, once again :/. Otherwise the additions sound sweet! Add to that some major bug fixing and engine tweaking, so it runs better and the features actually work, it'll be the complete arma 2 experience :). (Altho I hope many more patches and expansions are added.)

I have to say however, that I wonder this "releasing a beta version to the public" attitude a little. The cummunity can handle it, cos we'll stick around with the game for the 2-3 years after the release that it takes for it to be what it was originally meant to be, mainly because there's nothing else out there to give us the same experience (milsim). I doubt that the average consumer will have the same patience, they'll just read a review of the 1.0 version that says the game is a total mess and then forget about it. Or they'll try the demo and see for themselves.

Now I know the target audience for this game isn't your average fps player, but really, if you're not an ofp fan from the past, it's not very appealing having to invest that 2 years into a game that's only getting the content and playability that it should have from the start, little by little along that 2 years of time. I think the sales of Arma 2 could easily be tripled just by doing that, releasing a solid game.

I do believe that even tho you're (BIS) not aiming for millions of games sold, you'd still like as many sales as possible and as many new people attracted to the genre as possible.

Maybe that's something to consider for Arma 3, untill then, let's enjoy what we have! :)

And sorry if this sounds like bashing, I don't mean to bash on Arma 2 or BIS, I'm loving 'em :)

No one promised you above for ArmA2 hence you can't come up and say it should have been included there.

Exactly. People must understand that they buy what its being offered. If you would pay the development costs then you can dictate how the game should be made. I don't understand the atitude "I want that and that" and when you see that your requests are not fulfiled you start complaining. They never promised none of these features.

If you don't like it, don't buy it and wait for something better.

To recap, heres how the VBS2 FLIR looks like. (Now, if we could only get a UAV with camera independent of flight movements as seen in this clip, we will be doing recon for real :D)

ZdRu1OCHtM0

Edited by sparks50

buying both are still a bargain compare with the VBS2 price tag; that is if BI managed to adding long wanted features/changes, and fix all the engine bugs without creating new ones...

@Walker

Don't worry, it surely wasn't the last chance to get some answers before release.

:386: Err say what?

Request for a 50 page essay of ArmA II Operation Arrowhead questions?

Somebody channeling me?

Puzzled walker

buying both are still a bargain compare with the VBS2 price tag; that is if BI managed to adding long wanted features/changes, and fix all the engine bugs without creating new ones...

Interesting reading the VBS2 requirements on their website, they mention that it only supports single cpu operation and does not support multi GPU's, is this the same for ARMA2? I'm pretty sure ARMA2 uses more than 2 cores and definatelly more than 1!

Wolle, I never expected those enhancements, didnt even know what FLIR was until I saw posts about in in this forum. I guess the engine enhancements I was thinking of were more physics, lighting based... maybe the flash lights will make the lighting dynamic or at least better!

Yapa

Interesting reading the VBS2 requirements on their website, they mention that it only supports single cpu operation and does not support multi GPU's, is this the same for ARMA2? I'm pretty sure ARMA2 uses more than 2 cores and definatelly more than 1!

VBS2 was based off of ArmA 1.

Yapab: VBS2 is based on Arma 1, Arma 2 is further developed and supports multiple cores.

Edit: dingyisun beat me to it

That VBS2 does look quite good in some areas, like the explosions and the glass breaking in that video Dslyecxi posted.

I actually enjoyed the FLIR part of COD4 a lot and now I'm looking forward to it in Arrowhead!

QUOTE -"Will Arrowhead incude western forces besides the US?

Jennik: There will be some more than just US Army Units, yes."

Hmm, wasnt specific about whether there would be non-American western units. But could this mean we might be seeing a cameo from a certain group of special ops US Marines? ;)

I'm rather hoping we might see some British Infantry. :)

What I'm disapointed in is that the lacking armour development points to a lacking development of a damage system and that in turn means the ability to blow up tanks with machine guns, blowing up vehicles by shooting the door, all the windows on the car getting damaged even though the shot was to one of the rear side windows.

Still sounds exciting though, FLIR and so on.

Lets hope we get further expansion packs that could bring such features.

Anybody else noticed that every post thats not at least a bit positive about their business strategy gets removed by the admins??

Anybody else noticed that every post thats not at least a bit positive about their business strategy gets removed by the admins??

No, haven't really seen that.

Good, is there not enough whining for you on these forums already? What's the point in moaning about what's not even released yet? Unless the post contains something constructive (which they mostly do not) delete away mods, delete away.:681:

I'm very sure no constructive posts on this matter were deleted.

Oh wait, probably because there weren't any in the first place :rolleyes:

<<<>>>

Arrowhead is starting to sound very good. Now this is what I call an expansion, other game developers should take this as an example :D

Probably because they have nothing to do with the Q&A theme of this post..you think ??

I just read through 15 pages of replies , would not want to read 2 more about their so called "business strategies" from posters who have no idea at all of their long term goals and strategies.

I would think they have professionals on board at BIS somewhere for that advice.

Zothen I'm pretty sure you are aware about §18 in our Forum rules.

And yes, spam and pointless ranting to raise the postcount gets removed here. This is the Arrowhead Questions and Answers thread, your BI bashing is not welcome here.

and that in turn means the ability to blow up tanks with machine guns.

this addEventHandler ["handleDamage",{if((_this select 2) > 0.1)then{_this select 3}else{false}}]

At least until we get new damage system.