Sign in to follow this  
BF2_Trooper

Does the basic Russian grunt really lack NVGs like in ARMA2?

I thought the T80s got chewed up because they tried to use them without infantry support in Grozny. Something about the tanks not being able to aim their guns high enough to hit the roofs and the rebels knocking out the vehicles at the front and the back of the column. In which case its more of an example of poor tactics than poor equipment. I might be wrong though.

Not to mention they went up against a better armed force.

That said the U.S. has lost plenty of M1's to street fighting in Iraq too. I think 80 M1's were sent back to America to be rebuilt compared to the 63 T80's knocked out in Chechenya.

It's hard to compare, one thing is for certain they are both very vulnerable to RPG.

Edited by Baff1

Does every single soldier in US Army Infantry has NVG's?

Not every. Some mechanic who uses wrench all day long (or cook) probably manages to get along with regular light, but every soldier in infantry platoons and fighting units in general seems to have. There probably are units which equipment isn't as good as some have so they might have less NVGs.

That is my impression.

Baff1: One thing with Grozny is that defenders prepared for years for that battle! In first assault Russians faced a lot stronger opponent in manpower then what they had. Maybe it was 4 to 1 or even greater favoring defender. Defenders had well organized structure, when Russians couldn't muster enough men for their offense (many units simply refused to assault Grozny! They knew better what was to come). After that first disaster Russian forces started to use more suitable ways to flush out Chechens, sadly there is little i know about that phase.

Chechens did state that T-80 was thought tank to destroy. Averagely 4-6 rockets were needed hit to weak parts (rear. sides, top) of it! Worst took over 10. Telling about Chechen's skills of handling RPG as well as their tactical knowledge (as well as their knowledge conserning T-80) is that, by some sources, 90% of hits did hit weak spots.